Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - Impressions...

Post by Spooky »

WOW!

Simply incredible. I liked the last version a fair amount, but this one just seems to blow it away because of the track design.

For those of you that wanted to like Pure but could not stay with it or got bored quickly...try this game (if you have a PS3).

Speed...INSANE.

Graphics...jaw dropping.

Control...solid.

Fun factor...HUGE!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Maybe I need to rent this one to get a better sense of the game. I played the demo for a while last night and quickly deleted it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm getting it today, loved the first one. I played the demo and liked it a lot.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I didn't really care for the demo at all actually. Forgot to mention that. It felt 'blah' and too similar to the first version.

I'm not entirely sure what made it click with me last night. But I was REALLY feelin' it! I'm sure a lot has to do with the track design. Simply incredible.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I loved the shadow and lighting in the game. I also like the ram your opponent as well as 'duck' feature if your on a bike when you need to clear that tree limb or else. :mrgreen:

I also like the new monster trucks where you can drive over bikers and spit them out the back. :lol:

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I've only played the demo, but I'm really enjoying the feeling of being one small slip up away from a gruesome crash - makes the whole race a lot more tense. This is probably a buy for me....one of those games I can keep around if I want a quick adreneline fix.

One question - are there replays in the game? How are they? Great camera angles?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm just pissed that this game does not support 1080i resolution. Why Sony's PS3 does not upscale 720p signals to 1080i is beyond me. There are a lot of gamers out there who own 480p / 1080i sets.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yup same reason I passed on Fallout 3 for the PS3 and got the 360 version.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

fanatic wrote: One question - are there replays in the game? How are they? Great camera angles?
Don't have the game yet but the original had no replays.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

The 480p/1080i problem was one of the factors in upgrading my TV earlier this month. It was frustrating to play in 480p when you knew there was something better available.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Does the online play hold up, with however many players it supports?

I think it was 12 or 16 players?

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Oddly enough, there are no replays again this version BUT there is a photo mode and it is sweet. I have taken a few incredible shots. I have one with my Dune Buggy flying over a volcano pit, while on fire with a motorcyle just behind me in the air that is unreal.

And the few online races I did last night ran great. Totally smooth. Can't remember if it was 12 or 16 players though. I think 12.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Rodster wrote:Yup same reason I passed on Fallout 3 for the PS3 and got the 360 version.
Unfortunately we don't have that option with this game, but I know exactly what you're saying. :(

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PRBoom wrote:
Rodster wrote:Yup same reason I passed on Fallout 3 for the PS3 and got the 360 version.
Unfortunately we don't have that option with this game, but I know exactly what you're saying. :(
I got it today and I actually like the first one. Maybe it'll grow on me.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

PRBoom wrote:I'm just pissed that this game does not support 1080i resolution. Why Sony's PS3 does not upscale 720p signals to 1080i is beyond me. There are a lot of gamers out there who own 480p / 1080i sets.
Yup, that is about the only reason I haven't made the jump to the PS3. I bought a 480p/1080i TV right about the time that the 360 came out. After all of the 360 failures I've had I would have picked up a PS3 in a heartbeat if it had full support for 1080i. I just can't see spending over a grand on a new HDTV when the 1080i set I have now works perfectly.

Do they make a VGA cable for the PS3? That might be an option since I have a decent LCD monitor I could connect it to.