OT: Election/Politics thread, Part 6

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Obama's a cipher, yadayada.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

JackDog wrote:Teal sent me this. It's a good read from what seems like an honest guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=6099188&page=1
JD, thanks for sharing...good read.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

grtwhtsk wrote:
JackDog wrote:Teal sent me this. It's a good read from what seems like an honest guy.

Not to piss on the cheerios but the scientific studies, show that one of the key factors to press coverage is the success of the campaign. Who's up down and who's winning was the biggest predictor of positive or negative press.

I don't have a link because I can't remember the study.

I think one the preeminent political scientists is Kathleen Hall Jamison. I suggest people read her stuff. It's in book form and might be dry but she has done a lot of work on the media and political campaigns.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Personally, I think the mainstream media coverage has been pretty fair in this election. I've read as many stories about Cindy McCain's drug addiction and Palin's $150,000 wardrobe as I have about Obama's ties to Ayers and Wright.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

grtwhtsk wrote:

Now send us a link to something we dont all know.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

GTHobbes wrote:Personally, I think the mainstream media coverage has been pretty fair in this election. I've read as many stories about Cindy McCain's drug addiction and Palin's $150,000 wardrobe as I have about Obama's ties to Ayers and Wright.
But only 1 out of those 3 is running for president.
-Matt

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

matthewk wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:Personally, I think the mainstream media coverage has been pretty fair in this election. I've read as many stories about Cindy McCain's drug addiction and Palin's $150,000 wardrobe as I have about Obama's ties to Ayers and Wright.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My personal favorite is the time they have spent investigating that dopey plumber. Youd think he was the one leading in the polls for president.

I think its gone past biased to just plain pathetic or comical depending on how seriously you take politics.

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

JRod wrote:Here's a question for all DSP posters.

How long is/was your voting ballot?

Here in Colorado, I just completed a 3 page mail-in ballot. 3 f***in pages.
I was in Colorado a month ago for a wedding and saw the ten or so ballot issues...what a joke! Some of them even seemed like redundant questions that were asked the three eligible elections I voted on while living in the state.

Here in Minnesota we only have one ballot issue, for an environmental/water/habitat tax for the next decade or so...thank GOD!

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

You can't expect the media to leave JtP alone when McCain has made him a major focus of his campaign.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Feanor wrote:You can't expect the media to leave JtP alone when McCain has made him a major focus of his campaign.

Does it really matter who this guy is dating or what he has for breakfast?...gimmie a break.

Disgraceful.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I don't pay attention to any of the muck-raking stuff.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

EDIT: Eh, to hell with it. I'm tired of all this crap.
Last edited by Teal on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

EDIT: Lather, rinse, repeat.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

matthewk wrote:
Good point.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Feanor wrote:You can't expect the media to leave JtP alone when McCain has made him a major focus of his campaign.
Also a good point.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Teal wrote:EDIT: Eh, to hell with it. I'm tired of all this crap.

:lol: ...It is like hitting your head into a brick wall. If people dont see it it only because they dont want to.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Obama held a rally today in Pittsburgh, at Mellon Arena, where the Penguins play.

Surprisingly, Dan Rooney of the Steelers introduced him to the crowd and presented him with a Steelers jersey.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?a ... 4977490467

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Can anyone imagine what would happen if this was Obama?

West Hollywood Mayor Jeffrey Prang has urged Morrisette to remove the mannequins, and Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich called for an investigation into whether the effigy constitutes a hate crime because it targeted the candidates based on their political affiliation.

„Had this stupid act been done to Senator (Barack) Obama, there would appropriately have been a national outcry,“ he said in a statement.

County Counsel Ray Fortner said he would discuss the matter with the district attorney and report back to Antonovich with a legal opinion.

Prang said Morrisette had the right to create the display, but „I strongly oppose political speech that references violence – real or perceived. I urge these residents to take down their display and find more constructive ways to express their opinion.“
"If it's a political statement, it's that (McCain's and Palin's) politics are scary to us. This is our palette and this is our venue of expression."

Morrisette said he has no plans to take down the effigy before Halloween. He said he and his partner, Mito Aviles, created it about three weeks ago but did not expect to cause such a stir.

Neighbors did not mind at first, but the media's fascination with the display has neighbors concerned about negative coverage reflecting poorly on the neighborhood.

„We don't want to make enemies with anyone,“ Aviles said. „This isn't what it was supposed to be about.“
:roll:
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

If this was a story about McCain,would the LA Times have sat on it for 6 months and refuse to release the tape of it?

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... full.story

Obama gives the same pat answer for all his neighbors. :lol: :lol:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9LxOMX57kOc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Come on JD, it's nothing. :roll:

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

JackDog wrote:
"If it's a political statement, it's that (McCain's and Palin's) politics are scary to us.
What should be scary to them is that they need bars over their windows.

If this was an Obama dummy the FBI would be at their door by now. This kind of thing is wrong, no matter who the dummy is supposed to represent. If you want to put up a generic dummy as part of a halloween decoration, that's one thing. It's a whole different level to portray it as an actual person.
-Matt

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

JackDog wrote:If this was a story about McCain,would the LA Times have sat on it for 6 months and refuse to release the tape of it?

And yet the warm embrace Obama gave to Khalidi, and words like those at the professor's going-away party, have left some Palestinian American leaders believing that Obama is more receptive to their viewpoint than he is willing to say.
They mean to suggest that Obama's centrist rhetoric is not an accurate portrayal of the man's views and his likely policy. This can't be!!! Next thing you know someone is going to tell me Santa Clause doesn't really exist.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'll be thankful when the election is over.

If McCain wins, I can at least sleep at night.

If Obama wins, I will eagerly await the day when the Obamanites discover just what they really voted for, as Pelosi & co. run amok on us.

Until then, I'm going to do my best to stay out of posting in this thread. The next 7 days are just going to be more of the same merry-go-round. In my mind and heart I feel I know enough about all the candidates to make a sound decision.
-Matt

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Obama's campaign has gamed the system better than any politician in history. McCain is JV by comparison. Hell, Karl Rove has to admiring it!

In addition to the ACORN nonsense, we've had the the belated realization that Obama's website had intentionally disabled security measures which match donors to their billing addresses.

Let's be clear. In addition to abetting fraud by any donor that's interested, this has also quite intentionally left the door open to a deep-pocketed individual (say, someone with a name that rhymes with "Goros") to funnel money into the campaign using micro-transactions. It's also a backdoor for illegal contributions from overseas, something that the Democrats have had a history with just recently.

Now they couldn't have pulled off such an audacious scam if it weren't for the inadequacy of the legislation regulating donations. The campaign assures us that they are complying with the post-donation scrutiny as required by the law, but that only accounts for the obviously improper donors. And given the fact that the campaign won't release info on small donors because they aren't required to, we have to take their word for it.

So in addition to the appearance of a voter-registrationg groundswell which was created in part by ACORN, you have repeated news stories of record breaking fundraising with a historically low average level of donation. This combination was clearly a contributing factor in Obama's primary victory...at the very least.

It's absolutely brilliant. Chicago games on a scale appropriate to the Presidency.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Naples39 wrote:
JackDog wrote:If this was a story about McCain,would the LA Times have sat on it for 6 months and refuse to release the tape of it?

And yet the warm embrace Obama gave to Khalidi, and words like those at the professor's going-away party, have left some Palestinian American leaders believing that Obama is more receptive to their viewpoint than he is willing to say.
They mean to suggest that Obama's centrist rhetoric is not an accurate portrayal of the man's views and his likely policy. This can't be!!! Next thing you know someone is going to tell me Santa Clause doesn't really exist.
So is it wrong to hear the Palestinian side of things?

I read the article Jackdog linked to, and I really tried to see the problem. It's not like Obama was at a Hamas birthday party. He just clearly feels that the Palestinians have some legitimate grievances. Many people from all over the political spectrum feel the same way. It doesn't mean he's anti-Israel.

Also, I do love the irony that the mainstream media can't be trusted until they say something negative about a Democrat :P Since this came from the LA Times, shouldn't this whole article be nothing but a lie?