Far Cry 2?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Far Cry 2?

Post by Teal »

Anyone giving this one a look? It would be high on my list if it weren't for it being in the middle of a gluttonous amount of AAA titles.

Reviews have been very positive.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I still remember the 1st game on my now stale PC. Loved it, just pre-ordered GoW2 and with CoD5 coming up, Resistance 2 for the PS3 there's so much shooting I can handle. But early reviews are indeed very good.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Far Cry 2?

Post by slyguy »

Teal wrote:Anyone giving this one a look? It would be high on my list if it weren't for it being in the middle of a gluttonous amount of AAA titles.

Yeah i am picking this up, but i am going to wait. Like you said there is a lot of A+ titles coming/out now, plus i am playing now Fable 2 Saints Row 2 and Dead Space

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Far Cry 2?

Post by Teal »

slyguy wrote:
Teal wrote:Anyone giving this one a look? It would be high on my list if it weren't for it being in the middle of a gluttonous amount of AAA titles.

Yeah i am picking this up, but i am going to wait. Like you said there is a lot of A+ titles coming/out now, plus i am playing now Fable 2 Saints Row 2 and Dead Space
I hate having to choose between so many good ones, but it's at least better than having very few to choose from, so I guess my gamefly account will get a good workout in the coming months...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I picked it up on the PC...so far so good. Once I get a few hours into it, I'll post more...the reviews I've read have said that it's fairly slow to start out. So we'll see how it goes. Favorable thus far.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Going to get this for PC.

DB, do you have the PC version? if so, how does it run? What are your specs?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I picked it up on the PC...so far so good.
Did'ja somehow miss this, LAking?!? :lol:

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Teal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I picked it up on the PC...so far so good.
Did'ja somehow miss this, LAking?!? :lol:
yes i did :oops:

hehe, still, how does it run?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It runs really well. One of the better looking games that doesn't need a ridiculous rig to run.

I'm running it at 1920x1200 w/ very little slowdown...at the highest detail possible and 4x AA. My rig is nothing special...e6600 Dual Core 2.4ghz, 640mb GeForce 8800GTS, 2GB Ram...in XP Pro.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It runs really well. One of the better looking games that doesn't need a ridiculous rig to run.

I'm running it at 1920x1200 w/ very little slowdown...at the highest detail possible and 4x AA. My rig is nothing special...e6600 Dual Core 2.4ghz, 640mb GeForce 8800GTS, 2GB Ram...in XP Pro.
That's good news as my system is pretty close to yours. I have a E6750 with a 7900GTO and 4GB of ram, XP Pro. I'd be running it in 1280x1024.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You'll be fine Rod...now the question becomes, why do you have 4gb of ram in Windows XP? It doesn't even know how to use all of it. Vista, yes, not XP.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You'll be fine Rod...now the question becomes, why do you have 4gb of ram in Windows XP? It doesn't even know how to use all of it. Vista, yes, not XP.
I got 4GB when I bought Vista at launch. Then I quickly found out how much I hate that OS. So now i'm back to XP Pro. :lol:

It was cheap memory, like 4GB of G-Skill ram for $64 from Newegg.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Okay...just checking. That's reason enough, lol.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The only benefit to having 4GB of ram is I no longer use a pagefile.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It runs really well. One of the better looking games that doesn't need a ridiculous rig to run.

Good news. I'm running on a lower res and have slightly better specs.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You'll be fine then King. But then again, I've seen computers with better specs than mine, have trouble with games I don't. Have you ever had a computer that just works RIGHT? I don't know what it is...just the perfect component combination or whatever. It's strange. But my current PC is one of those things.

But if you're running lower res, you should be fine either way. LOL.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:You'll be fine Rod...now the question becomes, why do you have 4gb of ram in Windows XP? It doesn't even know how to use all of it. Vista, yes, not XP.
I got 4GB when I bought Vista at launch. Then I quickly found out how much I hate that OS. So now i'm back to XP Pro. :lol:

That's good to know guys. I am having a new rig built, Intel Quad 2 core Q9550 CPU, video card is GEFORCE GTX-260 865MB DDR3 PCI-E and I opted to go with XP as I heard horror stories about Vista. Maybe it's better now with the updates, not sure. I was planning to update eventually to Windows 7 when it comes out but was thinking of also adding 4GB of memory. I guess I'll just settle for 2GB.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Rodster wrote:

That's good to know guys. I am having a new rig built, Intel Quad 2 core Q9550 CPU, video card is GEFORCE GTX-260 865MB DDR3 PCI-E and I opted to go with XP as I heard horror stories about Vista. Maybe it's better now with the updates, not sure. I was planning to update eventually to Windows 7 when it comes out but was thinking of also adding 4GB of memory. I guess I'll just settle for 2GB.
If you're into games and want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your rig then XP is still the way to go. Vista has gotten better but from where it started that's not saying much lol.

Vista is just to resource heavy IMO. Some who like the OS probably cause of the way it looks are those that defend it. I don't because Vista was supposed to be totally different than what we got. I'm not holding out too much hope for Windows 7 either as it's built from Vista. :P

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Okaaaaay...PC speak notwithstanding... :lol:

I just decided to get it (for the 360...my laptop wouldn't run Peggle without some hiccups). So far, I really like what I see. Just finished the 'tutorial' which was awesome because I didn't really know I was playing a tutorial. I'm about to go goof around and see what kind of trouble I can cause.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

This game is definitely on my list...

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:That's good to know guys. I am having a new rig built, Intel Quad 2 core Q9550 CPU, video card is GEFORCE GTX-260 865MB DDR3 PCI-E and I opted to go with XP as I heard horror stories about Vista. Maybe it's better now with the updates, not sure. I was planning to update eventually to Windows 7 when it comes out but was thinking of also adding 4GB of memory. I guess I'll just settle for 2GB.
I have had nothing but outstanding performance with Vista 32 since November of last year. Have not had a single crash or error due to Vista. Quite frankly, of all the OS' that MS has released, Vista is the most trouble-free OS I have ever installed in ANY of my PC's....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:I have had nothing but outstanding performance with Vista 32 since November of last year. Have not had a single crash or error due to Vista. Quite frankly, of all the OS' that MS has released, Vista is the most trouble-free OS I have ever installed in ANY of my PC's....
The chosen one.

Seriously? You must have a clover stuffed up your ass because it's been nothing but a pain in the ass to the rest of us. Hell...we completely rejected it at work since it's now the enterprise standard among CHW hospitals. We simply said hell no, we'll stick with XP as long as they support it. That's tough to do in hospital unless there are a ton of issues. Which there were. But cool...as long as someone has it work correctly for them...I guess MS will continue to put out new operating systems.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

My issues with Vista have never been about stability. As a new MS OS it's typical of having it's share of gremlins. My biggest complaints are due to Vista being a resource PIG that's just a pretty version of Windows XP. It's interface sucks as it takes 2-3 steps to achieve what was the norm on XP and Vista's DRM sux. Hell NR 2003 still doesn't run on Vista. I have legit backups of games that are no longer available and Vista requires me to use the original.

Vista had promise. A new from the ground up file system WinFS, no registry and no defrag needed on Vista (starting to sound like OS X). But what we got was a bloated version of Windows XP with a few new features, better security, DX10 (which is a joke) and a new GUI, yay ! :P

Didn't mean to thread jack after all I do have Far Cry 2 for the PC. :lol:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:I have had nothing but outstanding performance with Vista 32 since November of last year. Have not had a single crash or error due to Vista. Quite frankly, of all the OS' that MS has released, Vista is the most trouble-free OS I have ever installed in ANY of my PC's....
The chosen one.

Seriously? You must have a clover stuffed up your ass because it's been nothing but a pain in the ass to the rest of us. Hell...we completely rejected it at work since it's now the enterprise standard among CHW hospitals. We simply said hell no, we'll stick with XP as long as they support it. That's tough to do in hospital unless there are a ton of issues. Which there were. But cool...as long as someone has it work correctly for them...I guess MS will continue to put out new operating systems.
Excuse the f*** out of me for simply stating my experience with Vista.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:Excuse the f*** out of me for simply stating my experience with Vista.
You're allowed to state your findings...as am I to comment on your findings. Easy buddy. No need to be so sensitive.