CPU help

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: CPU help

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Summary...(finally, sorry)if you're just dipping into PC gaming but it's secondary, your budget PC and the 2560x1080 will perform better in any games you try to play. If you want a cleaner picture but probably 20% or 25% lower framerate, the 2560x1440 is the way to go. If you're coming from consoles where so many things are 30FPS, you might not care so much about framerate, but that would be doing yourself a disservice as a PC gamer :lol:
Agreed. 2560x1080 and 3440x1400 will be work perfectly fine with the rig you spec'd out. It really just depends on the size you want. With your particular machine, I wouldn't hesitate to go 34" 3440x1400 but you MAY have to turn a few details down in some of the crazier games but it will still look light years better than the console counterpart, and it'll be at high framerates. So just pick a size, find a deal and pull the trigger. Both resolutions will satisfy you...guaranteed.

I've "only" got an i7 6700k, 32gb ram and the GTX 1080 running at 3440x1400 on the Acer Predator G-Sync at 100mhz. Couldn't be happier...and your rig will be quite a bit more powerful than my 2 year old machine. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just an update. Instead of he and I splitting the cost of the PC, I had a talk with him about earning the money on his own. Needless to say, he was a bit disappointed. He's working part-time and will be playing the PC the majority of the time. Now, he's back to building a PC similar to the specs I noted in an earlier post. He's all geeked up with having the keyboard, PC, mouse, etc all light up with matching color and lights. All the parts have been purchased and we are now just waiting on the monitor to deliver on Monday. I missed out on a great deal on a monitor by Dell (27") for $299. They had an open box for $254, but I guess it wasn't actually in stock. The price spiked to $450 the following day which was a major downer. Luckily, we found a different monitor for a little bit more (LG with G-sync) for $340, but it's a 32". Seems way too big, but it should be awesome for my work productivity at the very least.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I will say that when I got my keyboard, PC RGB, mouse, Orbweaver keypad, and everything using the exact same RGB combination, it WAS pretty sweet :) He's got reason to be excited.

Funny, though...after this conversation my own PC started to sh*t the bed. I've narrowed it down to a Motherboard problem, but for the first time in probably 15 years I've gone back to buy parts instead of a pre-built rig. There was a Micro Center near me here in Houston, and I don't think I'm ever going to let myself set foot in that store again! :lol:

I also hadn't used anything but Intel chipsets for years, but too many things pointed to the new Ryzens being great that I had to do it.

Asus X570 ROG Strix Mobo
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
RTX 2080 Ti (using my current one, forget the make)
Toshiba 4TB data drive.

Honestly, I've dismissed 'build it yourself' for years because it seemed to be that the markup was almost nothing for a while. Now the parts dipped so far down again that it's back to being able to build it for half the cost of any pre-built. I'm sure I've just been out of the loop, but a few years back I parted out the stuff for a machine "two rigs ago", and the parts alone were about 85% of the cost I purchased the pre-built for. Now I almost purchased a pre-built before doing some research and the parts were less than half the cost for quite-a-bit-faster components.

It's a good time to do any sort of upgrading, for sure.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

TCrouch wrote: Funny, though...after this conversation my own PC started to sh*t the bed. I've narrowed it down to a Motherboard problem, but for the first time in probably 15 years I've gone back to buy parts instead of a pre-built rig. There was a Micro Center near me here in Houston, and I don't think I'm ever going to let myself set foot in that store again! :lol:
I know that Micro Center well (bit of a pain getting there compared to the old Post Oak and 610 location). The last 2 builds have had many parts purchased from there. I am always amazed many parts there are less expensive, even with sales tax, than online. And even my wife doesn't mind going there - the last couple of times she walked out with a new tablet and laptop (and again, less than online).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

F308GTB wrote:I know that Micro Center well (bit of a pain getting there compared to the old Post Oak and 610 location). The last 2 builds have had many parts purchased from there. I am always amazed many parts there are less expensive, even with sales tax, than online. And even my wife doesn't mind going there - the last couple of times she walked out with a new tablet and laptop (and again, less than online).
That's EXACTLY what happened. Wife came home with a Surface Pro... :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
F308GTB wrote:I know that Micro Center well (bit of a pain getting there compared to the old Post Oak and 610 location). The last 2 builds have had many parts purchased from there. I am always amazed many parts there are less expensive, even with sales tax, than online. And even my wife doesn't mind going there - the last couple of times she walked out with a new tablet and laptop (and again, less than online).
That's EXACTLY what happened. Wife came home with a Surface Pro... :lol:
And that's exactly why I don't take my wife to electronic stores. LOL.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

That's a beast of a PC Terry. :)

So, we got the computer built this past weekend, no thanks to me. A friend of mine came over and worked with Noah for a good 3 hours when it was all said and done. Now I can see why people elect to buy pre built if at all possible. I guess it becomes second nature after you've built a few PCs though. Noah really wanted to build a PC in order to see how everything was put together. In the end, it was a success so that's all that matters.

We're currently playing on a 24" 60 hz 1080p free sync monitor until the 32" 144 hz 1440p G sync arrives later today. But wow, I'm impressed how smoothly everything runs and responsive it feels when playing games. Titles such as Forza Horizon 4, Need For Speed Heat (a favorite of mine), Madden, Fifa, My Friend Pedro, etc look beautiful and seem to respond better on a PC. Yes, I'm a believer. To the point where I could see myself purchasing more games on the PC than on the consoles.

Great first impression so far. However, I can see where it could become pricey over time with upgrades and the insane number of games available.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:That's a beast of a PC Terry. :)

So, we got the computer built this past weekend, no thanks to me. A friend of mine came over and worked with Noah for a good 3 hours when it was all said and done. Now I can see why people elect to buy pre built if at all possible. I guess it becomes second nature after you've built a few PCs though. Noah really wanted to build a PC in order to see how everything was put together. In the end, it was a success so that's all that matters.

We're currently playing on a 24" 60 hz 1080p free sync monitor until the 32" 144 hz 1440p G sync arrives later today. But wow, I'm impressed how smoothly everything runs and responsive it feels when playing games. Titles such as Forza Horizon 4, Need For Speed Heat (a favorite of mine), Madden, Fifa, My Friend Pedro, etc look beautiful and seem to respond better on a PC. Yes, I'm a believer. To the point where I could see myself purchasing more games on the PC than on the consoles.

Great first impression so far. However, I can see where it could become pricey over time with upgrades and the insane number of games available.
3 hours build time is pretty good for the first run of it. I'm guessing that's without all of the Microsoft Updates? lol...that's the only real bummer of PC builds...getting your Windows updated completely after a fresh install.

And you aren't going to need to upgrade for at least 5 years. It seems like we've kind of hit a wall in terms of performance and in-game graphics. Yes, there will be a few more shiny features that the graphics card companies say you need, but for 99% of the people out there, a 5 year flip is going to be fine. Plus, depending on your specs, a simple (yet expensive) 4-500 graphics card upgrade at the tail end of the 5 years will squeeze another few years out of it.

That said, if you want all the fancy VR and multi-display stuff that Terry runs, you're probably going to need to upgrade more often. My 3 year old machine still runs every game I want at "ultra" resolution at 3440x1440 so I'm still going to be good for a while on my "aging" GTX 1080. :D

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My mistake on the time. It actually took over 4.5 hours with some breaks.

The monitor arrived today so I'm anxious to get home and check it out. My son said he already over clocked it to 160 hz.

If we can get a good 4-5 years out of it with incremental upgrades, I'll be very happy.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

sportdan30 wrote:We're currently playing on a 24" 60 hz 1080p free sync monitor until the 32" 144 hz 1440p G sync arrives later today. But wow, I'm impressed how smoothly everything runs and responsive it feels when playing games. Titles such as Forza Horizon 4, Need For Speed Heat (a favorite of mine), Madden, Fifa, My Friend Pedro, etc look beautiful and seem to respond better on a PC. Yes, I'm a believer. To the point where I could see myself purchasing more games on the PC than on the consoles.

Right now is a great time to pick up some games. Big Steam sale going on as well as Humble Bumble and all the publishers (Ubisoft, EA, ...). Steam can be overwhelming with some 30k+ games available.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Can’t get over how beautiful NBA 2K20 looks and plays on the PC.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We went with DB's option and the boys were beyond excited when they opened their gift.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SvouaBdwSsbqSKr58

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's so awesome. Congratulations!