NBA 2K9 preview

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Got both...of course. Even though I told myself to just get 2k9.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

No impressions yet of this game? What gives?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Is it true that the framerate chugs using any camera other than Broadcast? That would suck because I hate that camera.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Is it true that the framerate chugs using any camera other than Broadcast? That would suck because I hate that camera.
Yes...kind of.

The Drive camera is pretty good...which is the one I'm using. The ones that are up high (that show a lot of the crowd too) that switch orientation when there is a change of possession are by far the worst. The Drive camera isn't affected as much since it's close to the court so the crowd isn't involved much.

All of the sideline, press box, showtime cameras are unaffected because the don't change orientation quickly. They are side scrollers. The issue is clearly with the orientation changing.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Is it true that the framerate chugs using any camera other than Broadcast? That would suck because I hate that camera.
Yes...kind of.

The Drive camera is pretty good...which is the one I'm using. The ones that are up high (that show a lot of the crowd too) that switch orientation when there is a change of possession are by far the worst. The Drive camera isn't affected as much since it's close to the court so the crowd isn't involved much.

All of the sideline, press box, showtime cameras are unaffected because the don't change orientation quickly. They are side scrollers. The issue is clearly with the orientation changing.
Wow, that really sucks for me as those are the only camera angles I like to play with in basketball games. My GF copy should arrive today or tomorrow so I'll see if it bothers me that much. With a $5 coupon I can keep it from GF for $34.59 but I'm still really digging the Live demo and I'm leaning towards that with the TRU deal and for the sake of a break.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

ScoopBrady wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yes...kind of.

Wow, that really sucks for me as those are the only camera angles I like to play with in basketball games. My GF copy should arrive today or tomorrow so I'll see if it bothers me that much. With a $5 coupon I can keep it from GF for $34.59 but I'm still really digging the Live demo and I'm leaning towards that with the TRU deal and for the sake of a break.
Scoop I'm with you. I really only use the 2K camera but with the frame rate problem i am using the drive cam, which isn't bad at all. I would still prefer to use the 2K camera but until they patch it (i pray they do) i'll stick with the drive cam

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I picked up a rental becuase I'm trying to kill time until FIFA 09 comes out.

I haven't played NBA 2k with any seriousness in a long time. Last year I think I held onto my GF copy for 2 days.

The one thing I don't understand is the isomotion or whatever it is they are doing.

Driving to the basket is probably the best I've seen in years. No more getting stuck in mario screens.

I also like how team and player strengths are done well. I know this has been in the game for years but coming from games like FIFA, where there is none, its much appreciated.

I can see though where it might be boring if you've been playing it for years.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I am a little confounded by the lack of reviews on this game. Is everyone still waiting for their copy or are you busy playing it? Strange for their to be so little talk about a major release like this???

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JackB1 wrote:I am a little confounded by the lack of reviews on this game. Is everyone still waiting for their copy or are you busy playing it? Strange for their to be so little talk about a major release like this???
It's great...what more is there to say? It's last years game, sped up a bit with a crapload of more animations, a nice roster update feature and outstanding player models. The only downside is the framerate issues on the alternating cameras, as mentioned previously.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:I am a little confounded by the lack of reviews on this game. Is everyone still waiting for their copy or are you busy playing it? Strange for their to be so little talk about a major release like this???
It's great...what more is there to say? It's last years game, sped up a bit with a crapload of more animations, a nice roster update feature and outstanding player models. The only downside is the framerate issues on the alternating cameras, as mentioned previously.
Last year, there were 80 posts about this game.

http://digitalsportspage.com/modules.ph ... ht=nba+2k8

I am guessing with all the great games out right now, there is no need to rush out and grab this on release day. Personally, I am still waiting for my Gamefly copy to arrive.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You do realize that thread went from October to July right? The games been out three days!

On the plus side...at least we now know you have figured out how to use the Search button. :lol:

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I actually intially bought Live just because I knew what 2K was gonna be and I wanted to try something different this year.

With that said and before I opened the package, I went back and exchanged it, so now I have 2K9.

There's something to be said about "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it".
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Murph wrote:I actually intially bought Live just because I knew what 2K was gonna be and I wanted to try something different this year.

With that said and before I opened the package, I went back and exchanged it, so now I have 2K9.

There's something to be said about "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it".
Good choice my friend. Live is improved, but it still can't hold a candle to 2k9 on the hardwood.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'll go as far as to say that I enjoyed the demo of NBA '09 for the PS3 more than I have enjoyed Live. That might be a stretch for some to say, but Live underwhelmed me that much.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Which camera's db? I use the high baseline camera. Are there framerate issues with that camera?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Which camera's db? I use the high baseline camera. Are there framerate issues with that camera?
All of the cameras that flip sides on change of possession have issues. The lower ones, like the DRIVE camera not so much. So the answer to your question is YES.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

From other forums, they're saying the 5 vs. 5 is broken. Can't have more than 6 players in a game before there's unplayable lag.

Sounds like 2K Sports needs to spend more on bandwidth for their servers.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Can you play, say, 4 people vs the AI? Or is it 5 "people" vs 5 "people" only?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I decided to pass on this years game. I scanned the OS forums and the biggest complaint is the framerate problems with most of the cameras. Simballer which is the NBA 2K producer has ducked this question brought up by many. Is the camera framerate problem going to address with a patch? So far he hasn't even acknowledged that problem.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm really enjoying the game, but it's taking some time to find the right sliders. The great news is the sliders work very well. On default the inside game is too powerful. Brand was pretty much unstoppable and guys like Bosh would go 13/17 against me. There are a lot of very cool animations and the CPU is fun to play against.

One thing that is pretty disappointing on the PS3 are the graphics. The graphics are not that sharp and the reflections on the court are very blurry and annoying at the Wachovia (named that way at least for now) Center. The excellent crowd sound effects somewhat make up for it.

I love this series and it gets better every year. They really do a good job with the personalized shooting animations and ratings which makes it very realistic. I can recognize all the Sixers and they perform the way they should (except when I forget Andre Miller can't shoot 3's. The CPU smartly leaves him open, but I can't help but take them and miss).

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Can you create a team from scratch or move an existing team to another city for play in franchise mode? I haven't had an NBA game since the first one on the dreamcast and I'm thinking of picking this up in the toysrus deal tomorrow as I really liked the demo and would like to have my team playing in Pittsburgh.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

greggsand wrote:Can you play, say, 4 people vs the AI? Or is it 5 "people" vs 5 "people" only?
No one?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just realized that 2K is bringing out a PC version for $20. I'm going to give that try instead. Hopefully it won't have any camera issues.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:I just realized that 2K is bringing out a PC version for $20. I'm going to give that try instead. Hopefully it won't have any camera issues.
release date on the PC version?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »