ot-officiating

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

ot-officiating

Post by MUTTS »

Just curious if anyone else here is an umpire or official of some sorts. Ive been officiating high school football for a few years now and its a lot of fun. Being out there under the Friday Night Lights is great stuff.

Anyone else??

Tony

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: ot-officiating

Post by Atxj »

MUTTS wrote:Just curious if anyone else here is an umpire or official of some sorts. Ive been officiating high school football for a few years now and its a lot of fun. Being out there under the Friday Night Lights is great stuff.

Anyone else??

Tony
I've officiated fútbol for a few years now. Never gets old and the pay is decent. I laugh now considering the amount of bullsh*t I used to give refs when I played.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have been around sports since I can remember. Have coached both my kids (14 yr old boy, 11 yr old girl) and have given the refs, officials a lot of crap.

My son was playing a football game a few years ago, and after the game, I gave the ref some crap (even though we won) and he kicked me out! The game was over! It was hilarious.

Anyways, when my kids are done playing, I am planning to get into umping. Probably Little League.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

baseball, basketball, and soccer here. ONly still do basketball now.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I was a soccer official for a while, but haven't had the time to get back into it recently. I loved doing it though, when I was involved.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Jared wrote:I was a soccer official for a while, but haven't had the time to get back into it recently. I loved doing it though, when I was involved.
Imagining the DSP'ers playing a game of real soccer against each other with Jared as the ref and real yellow and red cards, as opposed to the virtual game of soccer (more likely rugby) occurring in the election thread with Jared and the virtual yellow and red cards... :D :D :D

Actually, I'm amazed with what the refs put up with in my real over 35 soccer league. The level of complaining (ooh, you missed the offside) is pretty amazing. I do remember one ref who I had the pleasure of meeting before the game for the coin toss whose pre game introduction after a few niceties was "The first player who talks back is going to go in my book, the next person as well, and so on until everybody learns to shut up and not complain!" I have to say that after the first two yellow cards handed out in the opening 3 minutes players were remarkedly mute regarding any criticisms they may have had about any calls. :lol:

Best wishes,

Doug
Last edited by dougb on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

To echo Doug's comments - I don't know how anyone could ref men's soccer, the amount of s*** those guys put up with is crazy. I consider myself one of the more polite players on my team and I still give refs s*** from time to time.

Of course, it's night and day between soccer and hockey - in hockey I've got misconducts and unsportsman-likes for saying stuff that wouldn't make a football ref blink.

Don't know how you guys do it....but I'm very glad you do. :)