OT: College Football 08 Season.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So when did the Big 12 agree to let BCS rankings be the tiebreaker?

Or do all the conferences let BCS determine their champions in case of a tiebreaker?

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Well, it's a bummer we'll likely see that gimmick Florida offense (it's awful to watch) in the championship game. Assuming Oklahoma wins tonight (they should), the Gators will likely be national champs.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

F308GTB wrote:Well, it's a bummer we'll likely see that gimmick Florida offense (it's awful to watch) in the championship game. Assuming Oklahoma wins tonight (they should), the Gators will likely be national champs.
Whats wrong with the FL offense and why is it "awful" to watch?

Anyways.....GO GATORS!!! Just got home from the SEC champ game
and had a great time. Happy the Gators did what they had to do to win.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Florida a "gimmick" offense? uh.. ok...

I still think the top slot is a 4 way tie between Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida.

In other news, flip over the ABC and watch the Tigers get their asses handed to them!

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I wouldn't call FLA gimmick-y. Watching a QB plow thru LB's like they were girls scouts is a good time...

I'd still love to see USC vs either Florida or OK, but that ain't happening.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Kirk Herbstreit has been embaressing tonight.

Telling us the reasons why Tim Tebow would be ignored by Heisman voters....

What the f***?

Hey moron!...Tebow won the Heisman last year.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

My early prediction on Florida vs Oklahoma...

Fla 52
OU 45

Play the over :P

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

FLA 56
OKL 27

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

MizzouRah wrote:Florida a "gimmick" offense? uh.. ok...

I still think the top slot is a 4 way tie between Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida.

In other news, flip over the ABC and watch the Tigers get their asses handed to them!

Alabama over USC?

Please.

They have been overated all year long.

USC's defense would give up no more then 10 points to Alabama.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pigpen81 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Florida a "gimmick" offense? uh.. ok...

Alabama over USC?

Please.

They have been overated all year long.

USC's defense would give up no more then 10 points to Alabama.
I disagree on overated...They were the only undefeated team for a few weeks. Though I do agree that USC is better and if they had not lost to Oregon St would have been #1.

USC-Alabama would be a very cool game.

My top 5

1)Florida
2)USC
3)Texas
4)Oklahoma
5)Alabama

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I just hope Florida kicks OU's ass.

Fcking arrogant Bob Stoops and his 60 point record. Too bad Bradford didn't get injured late in that game.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Is FL vs OK for the Champ Game a done deal guys?

I am hearing different things saying that the Hawaii loss last night makes the Gators chances less for getting in. Something about the strength of schedule and the BCS calculations.

Please tell me the Gators are in! I am planning on going to Miami!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote: Fcking arrogant Bob Stoops and his 60 point record.
He sure as hell didnt win me over with that shameless surge for 60 at the end of the game.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

MizzouRah wrote: Fcking arrogant Bob Stoops and his 60 point record. Too bad Bradford didn't get injured late in that game.
Too bad Missouri could not play defense well enough to stop Oklahoma. Should we have kneeled down every play? Would that have made you and your players feel better? If I recall the last touchdown was a 38 yard run. Do you stop tackling in the 4th quarter?

Some might expect more from a team playing in the Big 12 Championship game.

For those not counting, that would be the third straight Big 12 Title for OU and 6th overall since 2000. 6 out of 9 ain't bad. He may not be Big Game Bob in the BCS but he is in the Big 12.

To answer WCO's question. Only the Big 12 uses the BCS as a tiebreaker.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Welcome back Sooner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cmon dude ...He wanted that 60. He was acting the wacko on the sideline. They were throwing on that drive.

Though I do agree in one respect. Mizzou should have not stopped playing.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

XXXIV wrote:Welcome back Sooner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cmon dude ...He wanted that 60. He was acting the wacko on the sideline. They were throwing on that drive.

Though I do agree in one respect. Mizzou should have not stopped playing.

I think Brent Mussburger wanted 60 points more than anyone that was on the field. The game was out of reach at 48-21 and OU was getting blasted by Brent and Kirk for being lax in the 2nd half, as if it was going to prevent them from making a BCS title game.

Don't blame Stoops because the BCS forces the emphasis on style points. Those style points (OU blasting Tech) are the reason they jumped Texas. Get rid of the system and then you can start complaining about Stoops, running it up. Or better yet, actually stop the team with the ball.

* In the 60 point 5 game, never before in the history of college football pointfest. THREE of the games were against Top 20 teams (Tech, Missou, OSU) and the fourth, Nebraska, will be going to a bowl.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

bdoughty wrote:Don't blame Stoops because the BCS forces the emphasis on style points. Those style points (OU blasting Tech) are the reason they jumped Texas. Get rid of the system and then you can start complaining about Stoops, running it up.
True.

Now for God's sake change your avatar.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

This would have been a perfect year for a plus one format. Put the Sooners against USC and UF against the Longhorns. It leaves Penn St out of the mix, but that is better than the current system leaving both Texas and USC out.

Sadly, the season is over. I never understood this month of no games. Does anyone really thing that players spend the month studying?? Hell, I never played a game after high school and I sure didn't spend December in the library studying for finals.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

bdoughty wrote:Too bad Missouri could not play defense well enough to stop Oklahoma. Should we have kneeled down every play? Would that have made you and your players feel better? If I recall the last touchdown was a 38 yard run. Do you stop tackling in the 4th quarter?

Some might expect more from a team playing in the Big 12 Championship game.

For those not counting, that would be the third straight Big 12 Title for OU and 6th overall since 2000. 6 out of 9 ain't bad. He may not be Big Game Bob in the BCS but he is in the Big 12.
Same arrogant fans too... I don't mind an ass beating, but bring in your 2nd team offense and defense. They were not just running out the clock.. or maybe you were watching a different game than I was?

Bradford blows a knee out at the end of that game and then what do have to say?

A repeat of the 2004 Championship would be nice. :twisted:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

kevinpars wrote:This would have been a perfect year for a plus one format. Put the Sooners against USC and UF against the Longhorns. It leaves Penn St out of the mix, but that is better than the current system leaving both Texas and USC out.

Sadly, the season is over. I never understood this month of no games. Does anyone really thing that players spend the month studying?? Hell, I never played a game after high school and I sure didn't spend December in the library studying for finals.
NCAA Football has by far the least amount of travel compared to all NCAA Sports.

The argument against a playoff because of time away from school is the biggest crock of crap.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Never been a fan of the plus one, as I think it opens up a huge can of worms if there isn't a clear top 2 after the bowl games. I'm more of a fan of taking the top 6 ranked conference champs and putting them in a playoff, giving a bye to the top two ranked teams, higher ranked team hosts. It'd make for something like this:

Florida hosts the winner of USC v. Boise St.
Oklahoma hosts the winner of Utah v. Penn St.

Best of the rest go into BCS bowls along with the playoff losers.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pigpen81 wrote:The argument against a playoff because of time away from school is the biggest crock of crap.
AGREED!

DIV 1AA, DIVII and DIV III teams dont have school? Then how do they manage a f***in playoff?

Its bad enough they have this f***ed up system for their $$$ kickbacks ...The thieving fucks!...but these pieces of s*** have to lie in our faces with that disgraceful arguement.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Jared wrote:Never been a fan of the plus one, as I think it opens up a huge can of worms if there isn't a clear top 2 after the bowl games. I'm more of a fan of taking the top 6 ranked conference champs and putting them in a playoff, giving a bye to the top two ranked teams, higher ranked team hosts. It'd make for something like this:

Florida hosts the winner of USC v. Boise St.
Oklahoma hosts the winner of Utah v. Penn St.

Best of the rest go into BCS bowls along with the playoff losers.
So the BCS would determine which teams get the byes, which give them an advantage.

And you would get complaints that the runners up of the big conferences are more deserving than the Boise States and Utahs. In fact, wouldn't UF and OU be getting byes in this scenario because Alabama and UT were so good this year, but they're locked out of the final dance?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm more of a "mini" March madness idea person.

Take the top 16 teams.. put 8 on each side.. top seeds on each side, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on..

Get rid of the conference championships of course.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Should at least be the top 2 teams in the Big 12 playing.

Would have been nice to see Oklahoma vs Texas in the Big 12 Championship this year!