Soccer thread 08/09 (will have spoilers!)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fsquid wrote:Simo, have you seen this? I got a kick out of watching it.

http://www.offthepost.info/2009/05/vide ... -saturday/
Didn't know it was on Youtube, but I did watch the show live. I'd got it into my head, stupidly, that there was no way on Earth we could possibly see a 6-goal swing towards Carlisle coupled with wins for Brighton and Northampton, and since Bristol is a long way to go for a nothing match (I went one January a few years back - 6 hour drive there, match called off after 12 minutes when we were already 1-0 down, 6 hour drive back) I'd be safe watching Jeff on Soccer Saturday.

In the end, knowing Northampton were being comfortably beaten by Leeds and we'd managed a 5-goal swing towards Carlisle, I was almost willing Pools to let one more in so that we could claim to have done everything in our power to be relegated. Still, it'll be alright - your old friend Chris Turner has responded by signing Adam Boyd, who we sold three years ago, and making a move for Dimi Konstantopoulos, who left us two years ago...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Boyd who was no where to be seen in the League One Playoffs of 2005

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fsquid wrote:Boyd who was no where to be seen in the League One Playoffs of 2005
I prefer to think of him as the Boyd whose 29 goals, including a double in the semi-final first leg against Tranmere Rovers, got us to Cardiff in the first place, but yes, he was very quiet in the final. Not that he was the only one. It feels like he's been around forever but he was only a couple of years above me at school - he's still only 26 so with a bit of luck, if his injuries haven't taken much away from him and if he can be bothered, we might be getting a good one back.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

GB_Simo wrote:
fsquid wrote:Boyd who was no where to be seen in the League One Playoffs of 2005
I prefer to think of him as the Boyd whose 29 goals, including a double in the semi-final first leg against Tranmere Rovers, got us to Cardiff in the first place, but yes, he was very quiet in the final. Not that he was the only one. It feels like he's been around forever but he was only a couple of years above me at school - he's still only 26 so with a bit of luck, if his injuries haven't taken much away from him and if he can be bothered, we might be getting a good one back.
I didn't know he scored in the semis. THought he had those 30 goals and then went quiet

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Go Barca, Go!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a strike. Now these guys will all hibernate in their D-zone for the next 80 minutes.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I can't stand Chelsea, yet I have to say....

that is probably one of the worst refereeing performances in the history of the CL. Any standard ref would have given them at least 3 penalties tonite, and Pique and Abidal would have been off (at least then Abidal would have gone for something he DID do).

Much as I really hate to say it - but Fergie's Forces of Evil are going to give them a proper doing in Rome...I'll put my dough on 3-0 and 3-1.

I don't know if you also got to see Drogba completely losing it, but it's worth tracking down....liberally sprinkled with obscenities against the ref and UEFA (he did use the term 'f**king disgrace', which I presume was a reference to the ref, but I'd like to think he was talking about Platini and UEFA).

The dead claw of that revolting French s*** has been raised, one suspects, to prevent another all-English final. I'd put nothing past anyone who learnt his trade from the past master of corruption, Sepp Blatter.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Iniesta=brilliant

What a finish. I am glad I played hookey from work for an hour.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

While I was laughing my ass off in the 90th minute, I have to echo Dave's thoughts....that was ridiculous.

I think United will tear this lot apart. :(

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

davet010 wrote:I can't stand Chelsea, yet I have to say....

that is probably one of the worst refereeing performances in the history of the CL. Any standard ref would have given them at least 3 penalties tonite, and Pique and Abidal would have been off (at least then Abidal would have gone for something he DID do).

Much as I really hate to say it - but Fergie's Forces of Evil are going to give them a proper doing in Rome...I'll put my dough on 3-0 and 3-1.

I don't know if you also got to see Drogba completely losing it, but it's worth tracking down....liberally sprinkled with obscenities against the ref and UEFA (he did use the term 'f**king disgrace', which I presume was a reference to the ref, but I'd like to think he was talking about Platini and UEFA).

The dead claw of that revolting French s*** has been raised, one suspects, to prevent another all-English final. I'd put nothing past anyone who learnt his trade from the past master of corruption, Sepp Blatter.
Pique's handball-no call was a joke. No problem with the handball-no call at the end, looked like it hit is shoulder.

Abidal's sending off was also a joke--a make up for the no PK earlier.

Bottom line is that the refeering was a mess. UEFA should only allow refs from England, Spain, Italy, or Germany for the final 16. These guys from Denmark, Sweden, etc. are in way over their heads.

That all being said, Ballack and especially Drogba were a disgraceful in the way they reacted.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Macca00 wrote:While I was laughing my ass off in the 90th minute, I have to echo Dave's thoughts....that was ridiculous.

I think United will tear this lot apart. :(
Indeed - if they were playing anyone else I wouldn't be that arsed, though in recent years I have begun to find Barcelona's self-aggrandizing and 'holier than thou' image faintly nauseating, and their fans in the Nou Camp usually create the level of atmosphere otherwise experienced on the Moon.

It'll be like the 91 ECWC final all over again...MU vs Barca, 2-1 win, til you find out that Barca had a keeper who had played about 6 games previous to the final.

Hmm, might be washing my hair that night.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, that zebra was weak. Drogba got away with his insults but since minute one, players seemed to have an insider on Ovredo because the chirping started really early. If Barca repeats their play tonight MU wins it all, but let's not forget they were missing two key D-Men and Henry. Still, I thought they lacked ideas and were forced to long shots. Interesting enough, I thought the Blues were closer to increase their lead especially in the 1st half, than the Catalans tying the game. Thanks Iniesta.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Im still laughing, especially the shot of the boy crying his eyes out.

How sad it is.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Im still laughing, especially the shot of the boy crying his eyes out.
I am glad I'm not the only @sshole on this board ;) - I thought that was hilarious as well, was even better that he was a fat kid. LOL Poor lad, at least he can take the plastic flag that came with his seat home.

Anyone have video of Drogba losing it?

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

How sweet it is to see Chelsea go down in an improbable finish. The last no-call "handball" was not even close to being a handball. Chelsea's reaction to that was ridiculous. I agree that the overall job by the ref was abysmal. The red card was uncalled for, and the ref missed big calls for both sides. I'm just happy that the best EPL team is facing off against the best non-EPL team in the final. Should be a fun match to watch.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Macca00 wrote:Anyone have video of Drogba losing it?
Full highlights, with Drogba freaking out at 4:50;
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2483167/

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

How bad did Ballack want to hit the ref on the handball claim that was awesome. If he covered that much ground with the ball at his feet maybe he wouldnt be in that mess.
A great goal by Essien followed by a hidious clearance at the end which led to the game winner , totally panicked looked like a 6 yr old.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Terribly officiating, great result! :)

Serves the blue bastards right for playing like scared schoolgirls...and with a man advantage to boot! And what's more is that they could've probably played a proper game of football and won given Barca's sieve of a back line.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Good to see Ballack crying again.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

No, No, Gaffer.. the referee got it all wrong.." (shut up Drogba!)

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

10spro wrote:Yeah, that zebra was weak. Drogba got away with his insults but since minute one, players seemed to have an insider on Ovredo because the chirping started really early. If Barca repeats their play tonight MU wins it all, but let's not forget they were missing two key D-Men and Henry. Still, I thought they lacked ideas and were forced to long shots. Interesting enough, I thought the Blues were closer to increase their lead especially in the 1st half, than the Catalans tying the game. Thanks Iniesta.
Let's not also forget, though, that Barcelona will have 2 other defenders missing (Abidal and Alves), and that neither of the two coming back (Puyol and Marques) are what you would call great defenders.

I also don't get Rob's point about Chelsea playing like 'scared schoolgirls'. They created numerous chances, were robbed of what I would say is 2 penalties - and OK the Abidal sending off was wrong, but then if the referee had been any good then Alves (I think) would have been sent off for the tug and trip in the first half.

The problem here is that a lot of people seem to think that people should just turn up against Barcelona, namby-pamby around and roll over for them, which is what most La Liga teams seem to do, and why they have trouble against teams who can actually defend. I applaud Chelsea for not doing so and getting stuck in, and I for one am disappointed that the best team OVER THE TWO TIES did not get through. They have a chance against MU - I don't believe that Barcelona do.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Shut up, Dave!

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Can't handle that much common sense so early in the morning, Squid ?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

nope, just simply trying to envision what will be on Special 1TV this weekend.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Never heard of it, what do they show ?