Soccer thread 08/09 (will have spoilers!)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Well, we did win away 3-0 yesterday without the aid of the two new players (Zabaleta and Berti), as well as the injured Petrov and Bojinov, and Richards went off at half time...and Jo's still not fully fit.

I reckon the deal had gone through in name anyway - 2 weeks ago we were about to be bankrupt according to the tabloids over here, and yet we still spent £20m in the last 2 weeks (could have been worse, could have spent it on Robbie Keane, who's performances in the last couple of weeks have been ridiculed on TV..well done Rafa).

Rumours swirling round today have City hijacking the Berbatov deal...and here's why you can stop laughing now..

1. City and Spurs are already in conversations re Corluka.

2. He'll be offered v large wages.

3. Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy hates Ferguson, and has publicly said he'd take a lesser offer from anyone else but MU. Imagine the two-fingered salute that selling Berbatov to City would be ? :D

Either that, or there is a possibility of a bid for Thierry Henry or Michael Owen..
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

I have no doubt that Spurs will accept City's bid, but I am not sure Berbatov will agree on terms with them. He must understand that this will make him enemy #1 in Ferguson's eyes, and he always said he wants to play for them. Interensting turn of events, though.

I've seen reports that Quaresma has signed for Inter, for mere 18m euros.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

In which case, Berbatov stays at Spurs or Man U have to match City's offer of £30m+, there's no downside I can see here :)

He's also a big mate of City winger Martin Petrov and striker Valeri Bojinov...ooo, and apparently Real Madrid have thrown their oar in with a £36.5m offer.

So either we get him, he goes to Real or MU have to pay £30m+ instead of the £20m they originally offered <sniggers>.

In reality, I suspect City's bid is a smokescreen for something else, but we will see.

Apparently these guys only have 10x the funding that the Russian money-launderer has.... :D
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If MU is willing to part ways with F. Campbell, I can see D.Berbatov ending up with J. Ferguson's squad. So many if's.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Crazy day at Eastlands, eh? New owners and last-minute monster bids on about a half dozen players! It's like a game of FM when you realize that it's the last day of the window LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

RobVarak wrote:Crazy day at Eastlands, eh? New owners and last-minute monster bids on about a half dozen players! It's like a game of FM when you realize that it's the last day of the window LOL
It's exactly like that.

I would have 22 bids out just trying to get one player.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

RobVarak wrote:Crazy day at Eastlands, eh? New owners and last-minute monster bids on about a half dozen players! It's like a game of FM when you realize that it's the last day of the window LOL
Bloody feels like that. It feels like using the editor to cheat and give yourself a billion quid, only at first you haven't changed the reputation and no one will sign. They'll learn, tho.

I reckon the ultimate would be if our new beloved Arab master is introduced to Abramovich when we play Chelsea, presses a £50 note into his hand and goes

"there you are, buy yourself some decent clothes you Russian peasant" :)

PS - As far as I am concerned, the nearer oil gets to $300 a barrel, the more players we can buy !!

PPS - Rob, both you and JR should know by now that every day is a rollercoaster at City, regardless of what division we're in.

PPPS - that CERN supercollider thingy that's going to destroy the Earth gets switched on next week (the 10th). Having the Earth blow up before we could spend or enjoy our new status would be so 'Typical City' that it's untrue 8O

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Liverpool loaned Voronin out to Hertha for the year. Not to be overly Ukrainian (insert smartass comments here) but that may be the decision that does Benitez in this year. With so few options on the wing, to send away one forward that is capable of playing there, mey just prove to be a catastrophy.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

davet010 wrote: PPPS - that CERN supercollider thingy that's going to destroy the Earth gets switched on next week (the 10th). Having the Earth blow up before we could spend or enjoy our new status would be so 'Typical City' that it's untrue 8O
Come on Dave, it's not going to blow up before you can enjoy your new status.

You'll enjoy the status for 37 games, and 89 official minutes. It will blow up on the final day of the season. You are in the extra time, moments from lifting the trophy. Then boom, end of the world.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

'Riera has the qualities we were looking for,' said Benitez. 'He's a left footer who normally plays on the left wing, he's good in the air, strong, powerful and a good crosser of the ball.
Umm.. how about fast? Kinda important, when describing a winger, don't you think? But then again, he was looking to play Barry on the left. Figures.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

MACTEPsporta wrote:Liverpool loaned Voronin out to Hertha for the year. Not to be overly Ukrainian (insert smartass comments here) but that may be the decision that does Benitez in this year.
ROFL

Rafa gets criticized in the press for pretty much any and everything he does, somehow I don't think anyone will be speaking ill of him allowing Voronin to leave.

As a Liverpool fan it's very depressing that Man City's takeover has happened so quickly and efficiently while the whole Hicks/Gillette vs. DIC fiasco has just dragged on forever. Hopefully, with City challenging for top 3 spot it'll precipitate an ownership change.

Fingers crossed City get Berbatov - just to see Sir Ex Lax' face.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

I am not talking about the press, I am talking about not being able to field a competitive team in the crucial point of the season.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Berbatov is brilliant but lazy, a better version of Daves favourite player Samaras he doesnt strike me as a Mark Hughes type player, he will be pulling his hair out while Berbatov is not tracking back or sulking cos hes not getting the ball....until he scores of course.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

There are now reports that Man City is after Robinho and, as seems to be the trend today are willing to pay more than Chelsea. Boy, are they going to find it difficult to deal with Chelsea and Man U after today.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Berbatov - don't really want him meself, but it looks like Sir Purple Nose is going to have to shell out about £8m more than he really wanted, which in itself is worth its weight in gold.

Deal with Chelsea and MU - we don't currently, so why should that cause us a problem ? To be honest, the only player I would really want from Chelsea at the moment would be Drogba (or maybe Wayne Bridge if he hadn't just signed up for another 4 years of sitting on his arse counting his money, though in his shoes I'd be somewhat disappointed that the revolting sack of pus that is Cashly Cole is keeping me out of the team...).

Oh, and I've seen Riera play in the flesh when we had him on loan. He's great - if football matches lasted 30 minutes. Still, represents a better option than Robbie Keane.

Robinho - not arsed, all paper talk...Schuster came out on Thursday and told the Real board that if they sell Robinho without getting another striker, then he walks. City will only get Robinho if Real get Berbatov.

To be honest, despite all of the Football Manager-esq talk of this quite astonishing day, I'm happy with the squad as now assembled....just time to gel in and get the new guys up to speed, and then hopefully string a few results together.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Berbatov is at Man United. Robinho and City have agreed on a fee of 40m euros. We are about to see just how pissed off Robinho is at Real Madrid. Maybe if they promise him that they will sign Ronaldo next he will join.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Robinho to City is a done deal, it seems, and a done deal I'm not going to pretend I was expecting this morning.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

GB_Simo wrote:Robinho to City is a done deal, it seems, and a done deal I'm not going to pretend I was expecting this morning.
Sweet, the more of these players in the prem the better but i wonder why they aren't looking at the russian leagues.

Now if city can get Berbatov aswell :twisted:

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Berbatov is a manc, a red one and i hope Daves wish on his knee ligaments comes true. 30.75 Mill

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Some interesting transfers at the deadline.

I wonder what City & Chelsea have come up with under the table involving the transfer of Wright-Phillips/Robinho.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's a sad for Chelsea fans.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Some crazy deals at the deadline, it looked like the Berbatov one wouldn't go through for a while. The Robinho one has floored me - great for City fans and nice to see CSKA London actually being outbid for a player.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

MACTEPsporta wrote:Liverpool loaned Voronin out to Hertha for the year. Not to be overly Ukrainian (insert smartass comments here) but that may be the decision that does Benitez in this year. With so few options on the wing, to send away one forward that is capable of playing there, mey just prove to be a catastrophy.
OK. You know that I like you. And you know that I enjoy a little puffy-chested nationalism now and then to spice things up. But dude, he has done sweet FA since joining Liverpool. I admit that I hadn't seen him in domestic play prior to the signing, but Leverkusen let him go on a free so it's hard for me to believe he was lighting it up there either.

Rafa may be done for, but I strongly suspect that Torres' hamstring, Gerrard's groin, the lack of a quality winger and generally dingy football may all have more to do with it than Voronin.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I didnt rate him either but dont you need to set foot on the pitch to be able to impress ?

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

RobVarak wrote: But dude, he has done sweet FA since joining Liverpool. I admit that I hadn't seen him in domestic play prior to the signing, but Leverkusen let him go on a free so it's hard for me to believe he was lighting it up there either.
He played out his contract at Leverkusen. He said he was going to join Liverpool years ago. They tried to re-sign him, but he declined. He was their leading scorer for a few years, and constantly mentioned as top 5 strikers in Bundesliga. I am not a fan of his, but he is a worker, has good pace and very skilled. He is tearing it up in preseason but gets no playing time during the year. Doesn't mak sense to me. He is miles better than Kuyt and will probably compare favorably to Kean. He wants to play for Liverpool, that's his thing, so that's why no one's gone after him. He agreed to go on loan, and I think he only did that in hope that he can play next year. Maybe, he too thinks Benitez won't be there.

Surely, he won't be the sole reason if Benitez gets the boot, but when you have the injuries like the ones you just mentioned, someone needs to step up and keep the team going. You know, that guy, that makes everyone say "Holy crap, why wasn't he playing before?!" All I am saying is, a player that has potential to be that guy, has been loaned out. Finnan as well. That's bad managing.