Soccer thread 08/09 (will have spoilers!)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Leave it to Macca to spoil it for everyone recording the matches at home. :)

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

fsquid wrote:Kompany?
Next time you see him, he'll be sporting the light blue of Man City.

Unless he does a cruciate in the warmup, of course.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

My favourite player is returning to my favourite club. I am so happy :D

Shevchenko is returning to AC Milan. After months of speculation and three days of announcements that all contradicted each other, this one seems final, barring a failed physical. It's on Chelsea's web site and all major news sites have reported it as well. YES!!!!

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

MACTEPsporta wrote:My favourite player is returning to my favourite club. I am so happy :D

Shevchenko is returning to AC Milan. After months of speculation and three days of announcements that all contradicted each other, this one seems final, barring a failed physical. It's on Chelsea's web site and all major news sites have reported it as well. YES!!!!
Well, he's been so stagnant he may well just fail that medical. :P

I can't see him making much of an impact when he returns.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Atxj wrote:
MACTEPsporta wrote:My favourite player is returning to my favourite club. I am so happy :D

Well, he's been so stagnant he may well just fail that medical. :P

I can't see him making much of an impact when he returns.
Yeah, he was just a non factor for the Blues, but if he stays healthy maybe, he may find his mojo back. Jose must be happy.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

What the hell happened this weekend.

Shocking results all around!

If Wigan get a point and Man City win -- shocking weekend all around. :)
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

MACTEPsporta wrote:Leave it to Macca to spoil it for everyone recording the matches at home. :)
Sorry bro - I figure this thread has always been spoiler territory - that's why I usually just stay away from the forum when I'm taping a match.

I know you're Ukrainian but today I attended a Russian wedding for the first time.....I have never eaten so much in my entire life. It was amazing!

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Macca00 wrote:
MACTEPsporta wrote:Leave it to Macca to spoil it for everyone recording the matches at home. :)
Sorry bro - I figure this thread has always been spoiler territory - that's why I usually just stay away from the forum when I'm taping a match.

I know you're Ukrainian but today I attended a Russian wedding for the first time.....I have never eaten so much in my entire life. It was amazing!
The internet in general is not a safe place if you don't want to see the scores:) It's not like we can all just sit back and wait for everyone to watch the games til we start talking about them!

Man that Villa v. Stoke game was something to see. What a win to get at home!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

We should probably put a spoiler warning in the thread title, though. Just for the newbies :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote: Great start to the season for Tottenham and nice to see Cisse get a goal! Liverpool were lucky as f uck and Alonso showed just why Rafa wants to replace him but I'll take it! :) Will be nice to have Mascherano back from the Olympics.
I don't know. Xabi was poor throughout, but so were the entire side. And it was his beauty of a ball which was knocked down for Gerrard's goal.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Macca00 wrote: Sorry bro - I figure this thread has always been spoiler territory - that's why I usually just stay away from the forum when I'm taping a match.

Umm.. good point. That's okay. I am not planning to watch much of EPL this year, I am returning my allegiance to Serie A, and of course I always watch the Spanish Primera, so I just won't have enough time. I am kicking ass in my Premiership Fantasy League, though, I bought Deco and Carew on the cheap and reaping the benefits.

Ukrainian and Russian weddings are the same, but I gotta tell you it's not the eating they are known for. It's mostly the drinking, and the ridiculous crap they make the best man do. So, if you attended it today, and are already home, able to think, read and write, something in the wedding went wrong. :D It is supposed to last a week, and guests are not allowed to leave, they should be packed into the specifically dedicated bus in nice little stacks and safely delivered home. :D

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Been listening to BBC and Soccernet podcasts and it's amazing how morose the Brits are about England only drawing against Czech Republic in a friendly.

They're already saying Capiello is typically Italian, too conservative, will only play these old players who are rich and not hungry like younger players.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:Been listening to BBC and Soccernet podcasts and it's amazing how morose the Brits are about England only drawing against Czech Republic in a friendly.

They're already saying Capiello is typically Italian, too conservative, will only play these old players who are rich and not hungry like younger players.
It was just a friendly, but did you see the game? Absolutely dreadful! They looked like the US :) Rarely strung more than 3 passes together, nobody taking on their man. There was just no creative spark at all.

So far Capello hasn't looked any better than McClaren when it comes to picking the right players for the side. He's got to start integrating some of the younger players and weeding out the old Axis of Bad around which the team's been built for the last 6-8 years.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Fabio will get used to the crap coming his way. It's not like the criticisms he used to get in Italy were any better.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Gotta love modern day transfers. Rivaldo signed for FC Kuruvchi (or whatever they are called now) in Uzbekistan.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Now he WAS a player - remember him scoring a last minute winner for Barcelona vs Valencia in about 1999 or 2000 that got Barca into the Champs League, with an overhead kick from the edge of the box.

Never the same player after he left them - went to AC Milan from memory.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Looks like Rafa may have finally signed a winger. It's not a terribly exciting winger, but it's better than nothing.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... nd&cc=5901

OTOH, I had Dogma check him out by locking on him in an OTP game last week and he was very disappointed. Doesn't bode well :)

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Should have just asked me - City had him on loan 2 years ago for half the season.

Could have signed him for 2.5m and didn't bother, which was a good move.

Great player....for the first 30 mins, then doesn't seem to bother. Real one season wonder at Espanyol last year, they started great then faded badly as well....

£8.5m is well OTT for him.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Is anyone going to be watching the ManU v. Zenit game this Friday? I didn't get a chance to watch Zenit at all last year during their UEFA Cup winning season and I'm a bit excited to see Arshavin again after the EURO tournament. Actually I don't even know for sure if he is playing...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

0-0 at halftime at Anfield. If LFC don't win this Rafa may want to fly home to Spain directly after the final whistle.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

RobVarak wrote:0-0 at halftime at Anfield. If LFC don't win this Rafa may want to fly home to Spain directly after the final whistle.
Yep. We may be 45 minutes away from hearing how good UEFA Cup is now, and what an honor it would be to compete for it. :P

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Looks like it's goingt to PK's at Anfield. Apparently the ref failed to award a clear PK in ET to Liverpool when Onyewu took someone down in the box.

Rafa, your fate is in Reina's gloves.

Edit: Wait, looks like Kuyt may have saved the bacon of the gaffer who has had so much (too much?) faith in him.
Last edited by RobVarak on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

RobVarak wrote:0-0 at halftime at Anfield. If LFC don't win this Rafa may want to fly home to Spain directly after the final whistle.
Kuyt saves Rafa in the last minutes of ET

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

That was one of the most boring matches I have ever seen in my life. I imagine if you weren't a Liverpool or Liege fan you'd have gouged your eyes out by half-time.

Absolute rubbish.

Thank God Chunk from the Goonies scored.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

He is one lucky SOB, if nothing else. This has to rank up there with that CL win against Milan.