OT: BBQing

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: BBQing

Post by Gangrel »

As I may have mentioned before, a few weeks ago, the ball and chain and I moved into a house from our one bedroom condo. I've been enjoying lots of manly things, such as the garage, and having to mow my own lawn! The pool in the back is pretty sweet too. ;)

Anyway, the house has a natural gas line for the BBQ, so I went and got one. My question is..... does anyone on here with a gas BBQ use those ceramic briquettes on the bottom of the thing? Right now I have nothing, and the chick at Home Depot said most people with natural gas BBQs don't bother to put anything.

I'm use to propane BBQs where we used to put lava rock on the bottom.

The bag of briquettes claim "more even heat distrubtion," blah blah. I'd also think it would help prevent flare ups from the grease hitting directly on the burner.... (though, that's half the fun, isn't it?)

Just wondering what others who are far more pro at this BBQ thing are doing.......

PS: It's sweet to have my own office/computer room, so I might be finally able to partake in poker nights without worrying about waking up the woman!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Screw the gas/propane grills. Go with charcoal. Taste the heat not the meat.
gamertag: ddtrane65

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ddtrane wrote:Screw the gas/propane grills. Go with charcoal. Taste the heat not the meat.
AMEN!!!!!

Gangrel.....Congrats on the new home man. Sounds nice.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

ddtrane wrote:Screw the gas/propane grills. Go with charcoal. Taste the heat not the meat.
Charcoal takes too long for simple things. And you really don't need it for everyday BBQ things. The taste benefit doesn't really make up for the time you need to get the coals warm. If you use a chimney starter it will still take 20 minutes.

I don't have anything in my propane grill. But I do notice I can't get the thing hot enough for some of the things I like to grill. I can't find a grate to put those ceramic tiles on so I haven't bothered.

Natural Gas also provides a different flavor than does propane.

And if you really get into the grilling mode, invest in a charcoal grill. Heck it doens't even need to be fancy. Buy one of those you see at Home Depot or Sears for less than 100. Just make sure it's not too small. Get yourself a chimney starter, some woods like applewood, mesquite etc., and a drip pan. And remember to get the best meat you can find for it. You can some some amazing things in an afternoon with just those things. Great for a lazy weekend where you can do the yard and have a tasty meal afterwards.

And here's a tip for meat.

Fatty meats slow and low (heat).

Lean meats quick and hot.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I recommend the Charbroil Commercial Series. Yeah, charcoal is nifty, but not ideal if u plan on grilling more than once or twice a week (or are short on time).

Gas is great for precision foods where controlling the heat is must (scallops, seared tuna, etc...) . Gas grills also allow u to do quick grilled items like veggies (or even fruit) where u wouldn't want to do the charcoal drill just for a 'side dish'. Anyway, having a gas-line grill (no 'tanks) is like an extension to your kitchen. You'll really dig it.

Also, if your grill doesn't have a rotisserie built-in, buy a kit. I did my last thanksgiving turkeys on the grill & they ruled!

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

They don't use charcoal at many of the top steakhouses in the country. :roll:

I've owned a Ducane propane grill for about 8yrs and love cooking burgers, fish, chicken, veggies, some steak, etc... on it. I have a smoker box that I use (cheap, bought it at Lowes) that I soak various kinds of wood chips in that give the food an even better flavor.

That said, the grill does have ceramic briquettes under the flames. After they get soaked with meat drippings over a season, it makes the flavor that much better when they get heated back up and give off some of that aroma.

However, if I'm going to buy a good center cut filet from my butcher shop, I only cook it one way:

Pan seared, 3min per side, on a 12" pan after letting about 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil heat up to a faint smoke (generally, on med-high or high setting).

After that, it goes in the oven to finish off for about 3-4 more minutes @ 450 degrees for medium/medium rare. 5min of rest on a cooling rack before eating, tenting some tin-foil over the steaks to keep them hot.

That's how some of the best chefs in the world prepare steaks, and it's so easy to do, comes out perfect every single time and there's no guess work to know if the steak is done or not! That gets the nice searing on the outside and juicy/tender meat that you barely need a knife for. I typically whip up some garlic butter to top it off as well.

If I want to get really fancy I'll ground down some peppercorns, cook them in 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for about 10min, let it cool, then rub the steaks with them (pushing the mixture into the meat), allowing it to sit at room temp for about an hour. When the steaks sear in the pan with those peppercorns coating them, wow does that smell good in the kitchen.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Charcoal isn't practical when you grill meals five to six nights per week from May until October, as we do. About the only thing we haven't grilled are our kids, and with the way they're acting today ...

:)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

I grill at least as often and only use lump charwood or briquettes.
The lump burn much hotter and are ready faster than briquettes.
They are ideal for searing steaks,chops,etc. I can be ready to cook in 15 minutes with the lump. For long,indirect cooking(large items,like whole chicken and turkeys,roasts),then you go with the briquettes.
"Precision" cooking is easy using a two or more level fire;also using air vents on grill.Broiling food (err,gas-grilling) is certainly convenient,but then so is using the 'ol George Foreman.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

I understand what all you guys are saying. Nothing, but nothing beats the flavor of charcoal. :D

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

ddtrane wrote: Nothing, but nothing beats the flavor of charcoal. :D
Propaganda. :D I bet if we did a blind taste test my propane gas grill w/ drippings soaked briquettes, and a small smoker box of hickory wood chips. Most ppl wouldn't pick the charcoal tasting meat. 8)
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I appear to have set off a debate. ;)

Well, the burner does have a grate over top of it. Though, the grate LOOKS like it's designed to hold briquettes, so who knows........

Just had some salmon done in tin foil (the woman didn't know she was supposed to soak the cedar plank while I was out watching Dark Knight)..... even in tin foil, I liked the salmon way better then when it's done in the oven!

I've grilled at least every second day, if not more.... I love it. I even got a book from the library with recipes and pointers...... so I might learn how to cook on other settings rather then just "high"!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ddtrane wrote:I understand what all you guys are saying. Nothing, but nothing beats the flavor of charcoal. :D
I am with you my charcoal loving brother! It's the only way to grill. :D
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

You guys are making me hungry! :D

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

What the feck is a BBQ? I believe you guys mean a grill. Fecking Yanks

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

fsquid wrote:What the feck is a BBQ? I believe you guys mean a grill. Fecking Yanks
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:What the feck is a BBQ? I believe you guys mean a grill. Fecking Yanks
This Yank agrees with you on this one. If it isn't slow cooked and smoked it ain't BBQ :)

That said, I use both gas and charcoal. It really depends on what I'm cooking and the time that I have. Some things, particularly fish, are infinitely better on the gas. It's a beer and tacos argument.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I use gas and charcoal. I have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and an upright smoker. I love smoking meats!

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

jondiehl wrote:
Propaganda. :D I bet if we did a blind taste test my propane gas grill w/ drippings soaked briquettes, and a small smoker box of hickory wood chips. Most ppl wouldn't pick the charcoal tasting meat. 8)
Heresy, just pure heresy. Not only would I take that bet, but I will double down on charcoal tasting better than any gas/propane grill could offer.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

ddtrane wrote:
jondiehl wrote:
Heresy, just pure heresy. Not only would I take that bet, but I will double down on charcoal tasting better than any gas/propane grill could offer.
True, true, I'd even put my daughter on the line.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ddtrane wrote:
jondiehl wrote:
Damn right!! :lol: :lol:

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

My last house had a natural gas grill and I changed it from lava rocks to the ceramic briquettes after a year of use and I really liked the briquettes. I now have a propane grill with just a grate, but I wish I had the briquettes again. I thought it was easier to control and the heat more even with the briquettes. In any case, I think you should try them out and if you don't like them, take 'em off and toss 'em. They're cheap!