First Look At Fifa 09

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

First Look At Fifa 09

Post by 10spro »

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Sliding for the ball is now a viable defensive strategy
This guy obviously never played me in OTP :)

No mention of OTP, which is probably just an oversight but sends me into an asthmatic on crack-like panic fit.

Also let's hope they reduce the "adaptive team AI" so that you don't end up with the 1.5 star teams knocking it around like the 1974 Netherlands, as you do in UEFA.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This is by far my most anticipated sports title of 2008. I hope they sorted out the fatigue problem in manager mode. I also hope they expand on manager mode as well. No biggie if they don't as I have FIFA Manager 08 on the PC.

What Rob said. EA needs to sort out the AI issues. I want low level teams to play their part. Every CPU team plays like a top level football club.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

RobVarak wrote:
Sliding for the ball is now a viable defensive strategy
This guy obviously never played me in OTP :)

No mention of OTP, which is probably just an oversight but sends me into an asthmatic on crack-like panic fit.

Also let's hope they reduce the "adaptive team AI" so that you don't end up with the 1.5 star teams knocking it around like the 1974 Netherlands, as you do in UEFA.
Hey Rob,

Not sure if it's just the adaptive AI. I think the way the 1.5 star teams knock it around is also a sign that the player ratings need to be incorporated more into the gameplay.

My real life Middlesex Master's League team tries to knock the ball around like the 1974 Netherlands. It's just the poor first touch, wayward or completely off the mark passing, piss poor finishing - combined with the lack of intelligent runs into space and the extra 5 or 6 seconds we need to identify an opening or good passing option (which we then proceed to ruin with the aformentioned wayward pass) that spoils the effect somewhat. :wink:

Best wishes,

Doug
Last edited by dougb on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:This is by far my most anticipated sports title of 2008.
I just hope that OTP is back, this title and NHL 09 should rock.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Great Q and A interview. It appears there may be a PS3 exclusive mode as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193217.html

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

GS AU: What about online? Last year you introduced 5-on-5--will we see that again? Or perhaps an improvement on that?

DR: One of the features we are going to be talking more about later this month is Be A Pro: Online Team Play. Check back with me later this month and I’ll be able to discuss our online features in detail.

Hmm, somewhat cryptic...but it's something.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

EA, just bring in the Argentine league....Pleeeaaassse.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It's Christams in July! :)
OS: What improvements are being made to Be A Pro mode online? For example can hosts kick a player in Be a Pro games; is there a party system so a group can stick together; is the mode bigger than 5 versus 5?

Dave Rutter: Yes, yes and yes
There is a lot of great news in that interview. Quick online rematches, custom lineups/tactics online, fully customizable camera...!

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

RobVarak wrote:It's Christams in July! :)
OS: What improvements are being made to Be A Pro mode online? For example can hosts kick a player in Be a Pro games; is there a party system so a group can stick together; is the mode bigger than 5 versus 5?

There is a lot of great news in that interview. Quick online rematches, custom lineups/tactics online, fully customizable camera...!
Color me impressed!!!! Must, go, and, preorder.......
gamertag: ddtrane65

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

This tidbit caught my eye:
OS: Has the Be a Pro camera been improved, especially for corners?

Dave Rutter: It has changed in lots of ways. We’ve improved it on corners, and you can also edit the camera distances to you hearts content. We’ve also got a quick zoom out function to let you see the state of play from higher up. We’re also allowing users to play Be A Pro with standard game cameras too
I hope this is indeed true. I wasn't too fond of the cameral angles that were offered. :x

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

n/m
Last edited by ddtrane on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Sorry RobV, I just reread your last line. :oops:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

RobVarak wrote:It's Christams in July! :)

I can't wait!!!!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They need those options and more for NHL and any other games with OTP.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I posted a similar thing at OS but here's my scorecard for the game.

1) Need to have bad teams. If Man U plays Ebbs Fleet United they need to get mauled. Allow for the Cardiffs to beat the 2nd teams EPL sides at home, but San Marino shouldn't be tough. I wish this was more like NCAA actually. The Baylor Bears might be tough for a quarter or two but eventually you'll smoke them.

2) Player jostling. Even though they say this in in EURO, it's just an animation. I would like to see more players take on defenders with the dribble instead of having both the HUM and CPU play ping pong soccer. This would help bring more life into the game but also more fouls.

The interviews say there is more player interaction but in the video I saw, I didn't see it.

3) Get ride of the stupid EA Manager Mode problems, like the CPU team is the same for 38 games. Or there is too much fatigue for the CPU and wingers but off for the rest of the game.

4) I hope the manager mode is less of playing in a fish bowl and more of play in a soccer universe. That means international games and call-ups (CYC/Pro might have this), Europeans tournaments from year 1 not year. I'm not asking for FM or even FM-Lite but how about FIFA-more involved.

FIFA looks promising and I think the tactics thing will be a big boost to the game. I just hope the CPU is dynamic and teams don't the same formation every game for the rest of FIFA 09.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

JRod wrote:I posted a similar thing at OS but here's my scorecard for the game.

1) Need to have bad teams. If Man U plays Ebbs Fleet United they need to get mauled. Allow for the Cardiffs to beat the 2nd teams EPL sides at home, but San Marino shouldn't be tough. I wish this was more like NCAA actually. The Baylor Bears might be tough for a quarter or two but eventually you'll smoke them.

2) Player jostling. Even though they say this in in EURO, it's just an animation. I would like to see more players take on defenders with the dribble instead of having both the HUM and CPU play ping pong soccer. This would help bring more life into the game but also more fouls.

The interviews say there is more player interaction but in the video I saw, I didn't see it.

3) Get ride of the stupid EA Manager Mode problems, like the CPU team is the same for 38 games. Or there is too much fatigue for the CPU and wingers but off for the rest of the game.

4) I hope the manager mode is less of playing in a fish bowl and more of play in a soccer universe. That means international games and call-ups (CYC/Pro might have this), Europeans tournaments from year 1 not year. I'm not asking for FM or even FM-Lite but how about FIFA-more involved.

FIFA looks promising and I think the tactics thing will be a big boost to the game. I just hope the CPU is dynamic and teams don't the same formation every game for the rest of FIFA 09.
Agree with all your points - particularly the first one. In one of the interviews the producer noted that the adaptive team AI allowed the weak teams to be competitive. Now sometimes that is certainly true in real life. More often, however, the formations and strategies of the weak teams are simply attempts not to get blown off the pitch. Sure, the Faeroes would love to play keep away from Spain - it's just 99 times out of 100 not going to happen. On the odd occasion you get some spectacular FA cup upsets. Frequently when you check the starting lineups you'll find that the big team was fielding a weaker lineup than normal.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

JRod wrote:FIFA looks promising and I think the tactics thing will be a big boost to the game. I just hope the CPU is dynamic and teams don't the same formation every game for the rest of FIFA 09.
I bet the only way for that to happen is by downloading someones team tactics set and playing against it, it will be great for season mode as the fans from each club can make their team play like they should , we download them all and put them in our leagues at least making all the teams play a little different.

Its more like the 2k vip it seems.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
JRod wrote:FIFA looks promising and I think the tactics thing will be a big boost to the game. I just hope the CPU is dynamic and teams don't the same formation every game for the rest of FIFA 09.
I bet the only way for that to happen is by downloading someones team tactics set and playing against it, it will be great for season mode as the fans from each club can make their team play like they should , we download them all and put them in our leagues at least making all the teams play a little different.

Do you have a link to where they talked about this. I missed this completely.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Customizable tactics will add a great dimension to the game. There are so called 11 tactical sliders in the game, which simulate the way a team plays or dictate how they should play; and up to four of these settings can then be assigned to the d-pad or stick.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

JRod wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:

Do you have a link to where they talked about this. I missed this completely.
http://www.svenskafans.com/fantv/clip.asp?id=6146
About 3:15mins in.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A bit vague to the online question #5:

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/1642 ... interview/

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Something tells me the single player experience will still suck donkey, as it has for um, decades now.

Doug nailed it - until they make the differences in player ratings truly meaningful it's still going to be a case of the same sides in 500 different kits.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Blublub wrote:Something tells me the single player experience will still suck donkey, as it has for um, decades now.

Doug nailed it - until they make the differences in player ratings truly meaningful it's still going to be a case of the same sides in 500 different kits.
You know what, despite my love for FIFA 08 and UEFA 2008, the past week and a bit I've started up another campaign in J-League WE 2007 Club Championship and it really reminded me just how good the Winning Eleven engine can be in single player when they don't mess around with it like they did in PES 2008 (which I haven't touched since I reviewed it, piece of crap game). I really liked the Manager Mode in FIFA 08 and the tons of leagues but I agree with you - there just isn't as much of a difference in teams that you see in WE.

That said, I'm with Rob and Zeppo in that I'd take OTP over even the best single player mode so I'm still stoked about having the ability to (finally) form a party in FIFA 09.