First Look At Fifa 09

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I know I'm late to the party (a $30 drop in price does wonders), but I LOVE this game (PS3)!! However, I have one problem. How do I get any power behind headers, especially off of crosses/corners?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Leebo33 wrote:I know I'm late to the party (a $30 drop in price does wonders), but I LOVE this game (PS3)!! However, I have one problem. How do I get any power behind headers, especially off of crosses/corners?
Especially on corners, it's all about the angle of attack. Use the LT to jostle off any defenders and try to strike the incoming pass at angle that will put it into a corner of the net. I also hold the RB, which is nominally the finesse button but seems to work differently on headers. I'm using the PES-like alternate controls here.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Thanks, Rob. I'll give it a try tonight.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Leebo33 wrote:I know I'm late to the party (a $30 drop in price does wonders), but I LOVE this game (PS3)!! However, I have one problem. How do I get any power behind headers, especially off of crosses/corners?
Leebo - Where did you see (and purchase) Fifa 09 with the $30.00 Price drop?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I bought the PS3 version at Target for $29.99. I'm assuming it came out on release day at $59.99 so that's how I came up with the $30.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I finally got a new 360 - I got the Resident Evil 5 Limited Edition Elite which happens to have a Jasper chipset/motherboard/whatever so I'll be back to f*** things up in OTP. :) :) :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote:I finally got a new 360 - I got the Resident Evil 5 Limited Edition Elite which happens to have a Jasper chipset/motherboard/whatever so I'll be back to f*** things up in OTP. :) :) :)
I'm sorry, do I know you? :)

Great news! We'll be on tonight...and tomorrow...etc.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Me too hopefully and we can make some scouse soup together.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

You guys that are still playing this a bunch send me a friend request. I was out of an Xbox for a while and am since back but have a new gamertag and can hardly ever find a decent game online.

a futbol fiend

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Sorry i flaked, i went out and did a joey barton (without the violence of course)and failed to make the game time :twisted:

On second thought i should have said Gerrard or Ireland or...

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Ultimate Team add-on available now. They did offer us the choice of downloading a 5 game trial for no cost or the complete add-on for 800 MS points. It's a fairly big file at 1.6GB.

I'm going to give this a try.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

'Twas fun last night gentlemen, f@cking Ibrahimovic!!!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote:'Twas fun last night gentlemen, f@cking Ibrahimovic!!!
I'm thrilled at the groups we've been getting. 6 players several nights in a row!

I hate that "Swede." Most hated OTP opponents:

C. Ronaldo
Drogba
Ibrahimovic
That ridiculous hairy bastard from France who is so overrated that it makes a mockery of the game.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I still need to find some time when I'm in a FIFA mood to try this out online with you guys. I'm assuming this is like NHL OTP, where you can pick your position before each game? I'd let you vets pick the important ones while I hang out in the central midfield maybe......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote:I still need to find some time when I'm in a FIFA mood to try this out online with you guys. I'm assuming this is like NHL OTP, where you can pick your position before each game? I'd let you vets pick the important ones while I hang out in the central midfield maybe......
That is how it works, although you're playing with the actual players (in some, but not all, cases normalized to an 85 rating.) And we are very open to letting anyone play anywhere they want. We've played over 1000 games, so we're just happy to have fresh blood. :)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I noticed that when I popped into the dressing room to see if there was a squad update today. I can only ask, why the heck is DSP so good at footie, but so bad at hockey? ;)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote:I noticed that when I popped into the dressing room to see if there was a squad update today. I can only ask, why the heck is DSP so good at footie, but so bad at hockey? ;)
It's because Zeppo foolishly plays more of the latter than the former. :lol:

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I also noticed I had an update when I played today. On the Ea board there is debate on if it fixed anything, or was simply to have the Ulitmate Team or whatever it is put on the main menu......

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote:I also noticed I had an update when I played today. On the Ea board there is debate on if it fixed anything, or was simply to have the Ulitmate Team or whatever it is put on the main menu......
Given the lack of gameplay updates, I'd guess that it's just the UT download. I'd love to see the gameplay tweaked, but I'm not optimistic.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Hi Guys,

After playing a number of UT games last night I can tell you that EA did tweak the game play. I have not played standard FIFA since I bought UT, so I cannot verify if those tweaks make it into FIFA 09.

Please keep in mind dissecting a game is not my cup of tea or something I like to do.. So these are casual observations.

First, crossing is different. For those that think crossing in Fifa was a bit broken you'll like the change.

Corners are more effective as well (2 goals in 9 games.. where I had yet to score off a corner in Fifa)

More space - FBisdead and I both think it felt as if there was more space.. I can't really put my finger on it but it felt as if the pitch was bigger. Maybe i'm crazy but that's what it felt like to us.

Besides what I mentioned above the game just feels a tad bit different.

** There is no friends list support online. When you play a match it's all random. That being said, FBisdead and I were able to play all of our matches together by simply doing the 3-2-1 "go" 75% of the time we connected the first or second time, on one occasion it took us about a dozen... But we finally made it.

For people who like the process of building a team the mode looks pretty cool. They also added a new "Arena" and new stadiums for the UT matches to be played in.

~ Fifa
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Do I have to play online matches with UT?

FIFA: notice the CPU taking more longer shots?

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

JRod wrote:Do I have to play online matches with UT?

Jrod-

No, you can play online of offline. As for longer shots by the CPU.. I've not yet played offline so I can't answer that at this time. If I get some time today i'll take a look.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

FifaInspected wrote:
JRod wrote:Do I have to play online matches with UT?

Jrod-

No, you can play online of offline. As for longer shots by the CPU.. I've not yet played offline so I can't answer that at this time. If I get some time today i'll take a look.
Who are your opponents other UT teams or other real teams. I would imagine for online games other UTs but I'm curious how this works offline.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Hey Rod,

I fired up an offline UT game to see the opponent. It was a team I had never heard of before that was also rated at 1.5 stars (same as me.)

It could have very well been a real team for all I know, but the fact that it was similar level and I had no choice as to who to play. I selected Play Match and this particular team popped up.

I'm solo with the kids today and tonight so my time has been very limited. I hope to check this out more tonight.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected