First Look At Fifa 09

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

JRod wrote:They ever solve the long shooting issue! That was a game killer for me. Too hard to score for the CPU and myself from any distance.
No. It's particularly frustrating online, as it makes 5 or even 6-man defensive lines de rigeur for online clubs. It would be nice to be able to loosen those defenses with the occassional long shot.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204384.html

PS3, 360 FIFA 09 get Ultimate Team mode

EA is hoping to expand on the two platforms' popularity with an all-new downloadable game mode for FIFA 09. Called FIFA 09 Ultimate Team, the new mode will let players assemble dream teams from the game's licensed roster of top international stars. Players will then use their teams to compete against other lineups, earning coins which can be redeemed for packs of virtual cards.

Each pack will include three grades of cards--bronze, silver, and gold--of 30 types, including player, staff, contract, formations, and tactics. Players can then use the cards for either team development or advantages on the field during a match.EA Sports also confirmed that FIFA 09 Ultimate Team card packs can be purchased with real-world currency, although prices have not been finalized.

The add-on will be available via download only, and has a preliminary cost of $14.99 on PlayStation Network and 1200 Microsoft points on Xbox Live Marketplace.

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blogs/sp ... -mode.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... am-trailer

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... mages.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

bdoughty wrote: The add-on will be available via download only, and has a preliminary cost of $14.99 on PlayStation Network and 1200 Microsoft points on Xbox Live Marketplace.
Great idea, but too steep of a price.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

That was my thought but I play a limited amount of time with Fifa, compared to American sports games. I hate the baseball card BS in MLB2K8, so there is no way I would pay for the privilege to do it in a soccer game. I am far from the best judge on it's value. :lol:

I do think for the Fifa player who plays it almost daily and throughout the year it might not be so bad. Add a little more life in the game and such.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

bdoughty wrote:

I do think for the Fifa player who plays it almost daily and throughout the year it might not be so bad. Add a little more life in the game and such.
I resemble that remark! :)

I'm really not sure about this. The game is already full of cheesy teams who play only the Top 2-3 teams, use ridiculous formations and generally play like a-holes. Something tells me this is just going to be irresistable to those morons.

But it is a pretty cool idea.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Finally rented this game last week. Having an absolute blast with it! Now, I'm thinking of purchasing it.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

sportdan30 wrote:Finally rented this game last week. Having an absolute blast with it! Now, I'm thinking of purchasing it.
Just a heads up, if you have a Target near where you live, give em a call. People at CAG are reporting that they are selling Fifa09 in stores for $29.99 (PS3).

Edit: Just called my local Target and they did have Fifa 09 (PS3) for $29.99.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

bdoughty wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Finally rented this game last week. Having an absolute blast with it! Now, I'm thinking of purchasing it.
Just a heads up, if you have a Target near where you live, give em a call. People at CAG are reporting that they are selling Fifa09 in stores for $29.99 (PS3).

Edit: Just called my local Target and they did have Fifa 09 (PS3) for $29.99.
Excellent. Thanks for the tip!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks again Brent. I picked up Fifa last night for $29.99. Target is calling it a temporary price cut. Whatever it is, it's working as they had limited supply left.

They also had NHL '09 selling for $40 on a temporary price cut as well.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:Thanks again Brent. I picked up Fifa last night for $29.99.
Me too!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Just curious, what game speed do you all play at?

Not being a footie expert, I am curious if normal is too fast or what.

I've finally learned how to survive on pro from semi-pro! I found that turning on auto-switching a few notches helped, as i find if it's completely off, the AI controlled players seem to ignore the ball too often.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I never got out of semi-pro on FIFA 08, so you're moving along quickly compared to me :) I am currently enjoying the hell out of the Pro level and getting enough results variety to be happy. Not sure a sports game has made me feel quite as dejected as Man City's stoppage time winner did last night!

I play at the normal speed, which if I remember right is somewhere between FIFA 08 (slower) and Euro 2008 (faster).

I am thinking of pushing the half length up to at least 8 minutes though to help add to the variety.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

I play on Normal Speed and Pro with 10 minute halves. I struggle on pro at times but playing as Man City it does feel realistic losing a match or two.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Dave wrote: Not sure a sports game has made me feel quite as dejected as Man City's stoppage time winner did last night!

I had the same happen to me last night in Manager mode. I play as Wigan (for no real reason then they seem to be ok, but not a super team, which I like, and the name is cool!)

Tottenham and us were 0-0 going to stoppage time, then the striker got a nice through pass and deked out my goalie for the win.

Ever more frustrating was a sequence earlier in the game were I had a shot saved by the goalie, my rebound shot hit the woodwork, and the rebound from THAT get headed onto the top of the net!

When you only score one or two goals a game, these hurt more then say, NHL 09. ;)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Question from the footie newb.

What's a good technique for managing my squad and fatigue? Some guys are in the yellow between games (usually my midfielders)

Do you guys usually let them play (depending on how long the bar is) or do you start the reserves and bring on the good guys in the second half?

Not following soccer all that much I'm unsure of how a "real" team does it......

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Gangrel wrote:Question from the footie newb.

What's a good technique for managing my squad and fatigue? Some guys are in the yellow between games (usually my midfielders)

Do you guys usually let them play (depending on how long the bar is) or do you start the reserves and bring on the good guys in the second half?

Not following soccer all that much I'm unsure of how a "real" team does it......
Depends on if that real team is Liverpool or not.

In Manager mode it's a good idea to spend credits on upgrading your fitness staff (I don't own the game anymore so I'm not sure if that's what they're called; the ones that manage the squad's fatigue, recovery rate after matches and that kind of thing). Before you do that, you'll have to chop and change your starting 11 every match. What I did was to continually rotate my players so that the ones in green (or failing that the ones with the highest stamina) started the match in favour of better but more fatigued players, because of the effects that a low bar had on their speed and energy, but to more closely reflect reality you want to be in a position where injuries and form are your primary concerns and fatigue isn't a major issue.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Thanks for the tips Sim......

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Last year's FIFA had similar fatigue problems in Manager Mode.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

RobVarak wrote:
bdoughty wrote:

I resemble that remark! :)

I'm really not sure about this. The game is already full of cheesy teams who play only the Top 2-3 teams, use ridiculous formations and generally play like a-holes. Something tells me this is just going to be irresistable to those morons.

But it is a pretty cool idea.

I think it's a decent idea as well. Does anyone know if you can play head to head online with your ultimate team. They mention online tournaments which does not interest me, but playing against friends on a regular basis would add a new option for a night of kicking the ball around.

Also, are you guys still doing the Club Team? if so, could you please send me an invite?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm late to the game this year but am enjoying it a lot. Probably the first FIFA I've played where I get some of that fist-pumping excitement from a goal that used to be the hallmark of WE/PES. I've settled on Dynamic camera this year, quite close up but surprisingly playable in conjunction with the radar. Just running a simple Irish league tournament with Cork City, World Class difficulty.

Just accepted the club invite from Zepp.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Glad to see you're interested, Slumberland. Always looking for new blood.

FIFA, I totally didn't see your earlier post. I'll send a club invite the next time I'm on.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Send me one too. I'm back to having a permanent Xbox and have been playing nothing but FIFA 09.

"a futbol fiend"

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Atxj wrote:Send me one too. I'm back to having a permanent Xbox and have been playing nothing but FIFA 09.

"a futbol fiend"
Will do. If you see Zeppo or MACTEPsporta online you can ask them as well. I probably won't be on until tomorrow.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Been playing 09 for quite some time and just got around to noticing that the score overlay on the screen varies. Had to do with most of my games being played with EPL teams. Most look the same but I noticed when playing with Brazil and French league teams they had a different look to them. Is this based on the stadiums they play in or just a league thing? Anyway I thought it was a neat little touch.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]