Forza 3 details leaked

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

WPatrick wrote:Forza 2 was one of the few non stick and ball games I have ever come close to completing. Something about unlocking the whole game and reaching level 50 was really fun for me. I believe I have spent more time playing Forza 2 than any other 360 game. It has its flaws but it is quite a fun game if you can look past them.

That said Forza 3 is a release day purchase for me.
No doubt. I put insane hours into Forza 2 trying to complete everything. I wish I had known about the money trick before running dozens of hours worth of endurance races to get money.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

IGN with yet another interesting article on Forza. This one focuses on user-generated content (tuning, not just paint schemes), more career mode stuff, and multi-player. Forza 3 is going to be absolutely massive it appears in terms of depth, variety, and features. I'm getting so pumped for this game I may have to pull an Eric Cartman and freeze myself in a pond until October so that the wait won't seem as long.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1009381p1.html

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Looks like the Forza 3 Demo is online in some marketplace regions:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games ... 004d538861

http://marketplace.xbox.com/nl-NL/games ... 24d53084d/
The Forza 3 demo will feature the game's new cock-pit view, refined damage model, new rewind function and even allow players to pull barrel rolls around the full Camino Viejo circuit. Forza 3's September 24 demo includes five playable vehicles:

2007 Porsche #80 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro
2009 Ferrari California
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
2009 Mini John Cooper Works
And with a true competitive spirit, the demo will also support official leaderboards for gamers to compare their best lap times

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Forza 3 dropped in price over at Amazon.com to $54.99 with a $10 gift card, I couldn't resist. :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:Forza 3 dropped in price over at Amazon.com to $54.99 with a $10 gift card, I couldn't resist. :)
I ordered it this morning from them, also got it with the free shipping as it's not a big deal to have it ship a week later with the current backlog of games I have already.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

My pre-order arrived today. So far all I've had time to do is the introductory Audi R8 race with slow AI that Terry mentioned in his OS review and a couple of time trials.

I'm not sure if people ordering the Collectors Edition will get a better manual, or if the in-game announcer is going to mention everything to me eventually, but I'm only finding some of the game's features by accident. The time trials using a fixed car/track combination, for example, don't have their own menu option, being accessed instead by viewing the online leaderboards. I found that out through blind luck, though I'm yet to discover what constitutes a dirty lap in time trial mode, where there aren't any cars to hit and I'm not going off the track. Maybe it doesn't like me using the kerbs, maybe Terry can tell me, but the game hasn't yet...

Maybe somebody else cares. Maybe it's late and I'm grouchy. On the track, which is where it matters, it's done nothing wrong so far.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GB_Simo wrote:My pre-order arrived today. So far all I've had time to do is the introductory Audi R8 race with slow AI that Terry mentioned in his OS review and a couple of time trials.

I'm not sure if people ordering the Collectors Edition will get a better manual, or if the in-game announcer is going to mention everything to me eventually, but I'm only finding some of the game's features by accident. The time trials using a fixed car/track combination, for example, don't have their own menu option, being accessed instead by viewing the online leaderboards. I found that out through blind luck, though I'm yet to discover what constitutes a dirty lap in time trial mode, where there aren't any cars to hit and I'm not going off the track. Maybe it doesn't like me using the kerbs, maybe Terry can tell me, but the game hasn't yet...

Maybe somebody else cares. Maybe it's late and I'm grouchy. On the track, which is where it matters, it's done nothing wrong so far.
I care Adam, I care..... What you mention about the time trials fixed car/track combination has me perplexed. No racing sim, console or PC, has managed to get a time trials/hot lap mode quite the way I want it. To be honest Forza has come about the closest in the past. I just want to be able to compare apples to apples across my friends list (car, setup, assists, controller, view, etc.), and then be able to download ghosts and race against them. The "dirty lap" concept sounded great as a way of removing those laps that are of questionable race craft. Similar to how GPL Replay Analyser would only allow clean replay laps to be posted to GPL Rank. However, I can't imagine you would be posting any "dirty laps". I am jealous that you got the game so early.... Keep the impressions coming as sleep deprivation allows.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Don, it's a bit tricky to tell exactly how the dirty laps are weighted, because the lap of Le Mans I did wasn't very good and because there are only about 30 names on the leaderboard at the minute. The game launches officially here on Friday, so as the boards begin to populate it'll hopefully start to make some sense.

I can only imagine it gave me a dirty lap because of excessive use of kerbs, because it had given me the ! symbol as I left the first chicane and I didn't leave the track at all through there as far as I could tell, but I'll revisit that when I'm awake enough to do so.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

So what's the word on this one--in stores tomorrow?

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I hpe the controls can be changed, unlike the demo?

The MS wheel was on sale here last week for $79 so i picked one up.
Tried the demo, but there is no way to change the view as there is no RB on the wheel.........
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Gangrel wrote:I hpe the controls can be changed, unlike the demo?

The MS wheel was on sale here last week for $79 so i picked one up.
Tried the demo, but there is no way to change the view as there is no RB on the wheel.........
In a lot of games the controls get re-mapped automatically when you use the wheel. Try the other buttons to change view.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Adam, the dirty laps confounded me for a long time as well.

In all the time I put into it, I still never quite figured out what they considered "off track", but if your tires cross the kerb an inch and hit the grass, it's a dirty lap. If you so much as tap another car, even on the track, it's a dirty lap.

The other one that seemed to give me a problem is red-lining the tach. I could have sworn that I stayed on track the entire time during a Suzuka race but still got dirty lap notification through that first rhythm section. I was leaving it in 3rd gear and just taching out, and by the end, it would be dirty laps.

Once I started shifting a bit, the dirty laps stopped.

I think it's a combination of getting ANY part of your car off of what they consider the racing surface, contact with any car/wall at all, and anything that could cause damage to the vehicle (shifting without clutch if you use a clutch, redlining, etc).

I wouldn't take that as gospel, but that's what I figured out over time.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Terry, what's getting me a bit confused is that I'm struggling to see consistency. Through the chicanes at Le Mans the game gets upset with me if I use the kerbs with any kind of aggression (so perplexed was I by this that I used the rewind one lap, switched to an external camera to see if I was touching the dirt and found I had half a kerb to spare), but through the latter part of the lap I can have two wheels touching the grass and it won't mind.

It'll also give me a dirty lap if I make a mistake on the last corner of the lap before, though I guess that's to stop people trying to cheat their way into a quick start to the lap and that does make sense. I'll keep an eye on the redlining; whenever I've switched off a bit and forgot to shift it's been on a lap I've already trashed anyway.

It's not that much of a problem, really, but I don't like having to drive around with acres of tarmac between me and the right line, or my idea of the right line. Says something when this and the incredibly bad manual are all I've got to b*tch about, though, doesn't it?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It's honestly the thing that bugged me the most, but I figured it would be just me. I'm eager to see how badly you've destroyed my times in the early races lol.

When it was just me and like 15 other reviewer times, I kept placing 1st on the leaderboard repeatedly. Then I checked a week ago and there were frequently 600+ times.

But yeah...if "the game says the track ends here", then it's a dirty lap. Figuring out where that is is the difficult part--especially at the final corner of Sebring and situations like that, where it's an invisible barrier both inside and outside.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Naples39 wrote:So what's the word on this one--in stores tomorrow?
Pretty sure the stores have their copies already.

It (many many copies) was in the glass behind the counter at EB Games yesterday. I said to the guy "are you just taunting me with those or can I buy one?" He laughed and apologized for taunting me.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Game shipped from GF today. I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. :D
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

TCrouch wrote:It's honestly the thing that bugged me the most, but I figured it would be just me. I'm eager to see how badly you've destroyed my times in the early races lol.

When it was just me and like 15 other reviewer times, I kept placing 1st on the leaderboard repeatedly. Then I checked a week ago and there were frequently 600+ times.

But yeah...if "the game says the track ends here", then it's a dirty lap. Figuring out where that is is the difficult part--especially at the final corner of Sebring and situations like that, where it's an invisible barrier both inside and outside.
It is exchanges like this that make me realize I will never be a top-tier racer:)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Gangrel, with the pad there are 12 control layouts to choose from. I do not own an XBox-compatible wheel, but the manual tells me that 'change view' is the X button on a wheel. That's right - the manual tells me something, finally.

What the manual, the back of the box, the press releases, the point of sale displays and everything else should mention too is the AI. Terry nailed it, and pretty much everything else about this utterly wonderful game, in his OS review, so I'll say simply that it's nice to race against AI cars and know, as you're going into a corner, whether or not they'll turn in on you. If you're in passing position and you've given enough warning, they won't. If you're coming from miles back or you've made a very late decision to pass, they will. Also - and a lot of games mess this bit up - they'll make allowances for you if you're passing them on the outside as well as the inside.

Off to race I go...

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yep, it's a glorious offline experience. Haven't done crap online, but will now that it's out.

For the wheel, you just hit the X button to change cameras. Technically LB and RB are the paddle shifters, and your pedals are the triggers. The controls remap themselves automatically to the wheel.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ya, after reading the posts I realized X was probably the only thing i didn't try. ;)

Demo feels reallll nice with a wheel.

However, i wish my desk was better for clamping the thing to it! I may have to invest in a wooden TV tray.....

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

It's definitely in stores today. Was getting a movie for my kids (both are home sick today) so I rented it (on gamepass) from blockbuster this morning, and they had tons for sale.

With any luck, assuming I don't also get sick, I'll be firing it up tonight.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I'm liking it a lot right now. I agree with Adam and Terry, the AI is really good. To actually have them give you room when you get a run on them is very cool and a welcome change!

So far I find the racing fun, and the online auction house is kind of cool. Right now it's filled with a bunch of cars that you win early in the game, but there are a few higher rated ones and some with cool paint jobs.

I like the way I can put on splitscreen mode, and with the assists on easy my son and I can race together (I still need to slow down for him but he can at least keep following the arrows to stay on the track).

Not sure yet what the VIP gets you yet, but the downloads only just finished so I need to poke around and see what is there.

Overall its fun and should be a blast if we get some poker nights going.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Learned 2 things this morning.

1: Anyone concerned about the sense of speed needs to take the Audi R10 down the Mulsane straight.

2: After jumping into my first online race, I may never go online with it again. It proved that the price of iRacing is well worth it. You'd think that with all the Forza fans out there they'd actually try to take the time to learn how to race.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

All I did was some private sessions and it was a blast...haven't tried randoms much outside of a couple races prior to the review. The reviewers seemed to have their heads screwed on straight.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Yea, i just tried a quick online race and got punted constantly by one guy.

I think some DSP rooms will be ok, as we are all (mostly) respectable.

Trying to decide if it's better to play offline with Medium AI and win most of the races, or on Hard and finish in the middle! I suck at racing apparently. ;)