NHL offseason thread (free agency, draft, camp, etc.)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL offseason thread (free agency, draft, camp, etc.)

Post by pk500 »

One of my favorite non-Oilers ever in the NHL is going to hang up his ax Wednesday: the Canucks' Trevor Linden.

A leader, incredibly hard worker and example for all other players as a class act. It's a damn shame Linden never hoisted the Cup.

A Hall of Famer? Probably doesn't quite have the numbers for that. But still one of the most steady, dependable hands in the NHL for nearly the last two decades.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A true classy guy in every sense of the word. Number 16 may not be a hall of famer but he'll have his number retired at the garage for sure. Too many memories to mention but I'll keep his tenacity, grit and heart in that epic seven games series with the Rangers back in '94. He'll be missed in VAN city for sure.

Another guy that retired yesterday was the Dominator 'Hasek', one of the all time greats in this league. Not the most stylish guy out there but he sure could stop a puck. He was just awesome in his BUF years.

Ron Wilson to TOR. Haa, Leafs years' of futility will continue with this guy, can't handle the media pressure, big ego, a simple jerk in my book.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Dallas' Mattias Nordstrom hanging up the skates as well

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Trevor Linden is a class act. Vancouver would be smart to put him in the front office. aka Stevie Y.

Glad to see Hasek go out on top. I believe Chris Chelios is going to hang em up next week.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wings signed Babcock to a three-year extension. Very smart move.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackDog wrote:Trevor Linden is a class act. Vancouver would be smart to put him in the front office. aka Stevie Y.

Glad to see Hasek go out on top. I believe Chris Chelios is going to hang em up next week.
Is that what you're hearing in Motown? This guy can play up to 50 if he waned to, but I know he was hurt during the playoffs.

And yes, Trevor will do very well in the front office for the 'Nucks, I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a position. What people like about Linden here. is not so much for his efforts in VAN while wearing proudly the VAN jersey, but mainly for what he contributes outside Hockey as well, trips to children's hospital for example, he was always available for the needed in his community work.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Goaltending equipment changes are coming, though doesn't sound like significant changes are imminent;
A universal measurement system will be developed so goalies will wear equipment that will properly fit them as opposed to wearing bulky gear. The measurement system is at least a year away from happening, but it's designed for the process of 'shaping' goaltenders as opposed to making them look more square like we've seen in recent years.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240398&lid= ... cStory_nhl

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:Goaltending equipment changes are coming, though doesn't sound like significant changes are imminent;
A universal measurement system will be developed so goalies will wear equipment that will properly fit them as opposed to wearing bulky gear. The measurement system is at least a year away from happening, but it's designed for the process of 'shaping' goaltenders as opposed to making them look more square like we've seen in recent years.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240398&lid= ... cStory_nhl
I hope so...its about damn time.

The purpose of the equipment was to protect the goalie not the goal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Linden was pure class in his retirement announcement, as expected. And no tears -- thank God! Few things in sport irritate me more than guys blubbering like they're dying when they retire from a profession rich and at least semi-healthy before age 40.

"It's been fantastic for me," said Linden. "I've been able to be a professional athlete for 20 years. I'm very thankful for that. It's just the right time.

"I think when you get to a point where mentally . . . you feel you've got everything you could, it's time to look to other things. I am looking forward to what is around the corner. That's a good thing."

"I think the obligation of a professional athlete is to be responsible and make a difference," he said. "It's a great gift we have and to make a difference is not difficult to do.

"I think it's the package you want any player that came to the organization to have."

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

NHL awards tonight folks:

Hart: Any doubts here? The Russian AO in a walk.

Calder: J. Toews, but I also really enjoyed watching N. Backstrom.

J. Adams: Guy Carbonneau.

Norris: Another no brainer...N. Lidstrom.

Selke: H. Zetterberg (What a year for the Swede)

Vezina: Is there a year where Brodeur is not considered? But I'll go with E. Nabokov this time.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hart: Ovechkin

Calder: Kane

Norris: Lidstrom

Jack Adams: Boudreau

Selke: Datsyuk

Vezina: Brodeur

Byng: Datsyuk

Masterton: Pisani

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pk500 wrote:Hart: Ovechkin

Calder: Kane

Norris: Lidstrom

Jack Adams: Boudreau

Selke: Datsyuk

Vezina: Brodeur

Byng: Datsyuk

Masterton: Pisani

Take care,
PK
7-for-8. The only one I got wrong was the Masterton, but I had to pick my boy Fernie! :)

Great to see Gordie Howe be honored. I shed a few tears during the "Letters to Gordie" segment, as Howe is my all-time sports hero. Gordie is really starting to show his 80 years, which was weird and a bit sad since he defied time his entire career. Still the ultimate class act and the greatest player ever. Mr. Hockey!

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

P.S.: Am I the only one who thinks Craig Simpson would have been a much better host than Ron MacLean?

MacLean's jokes fell flat here. They either were geared toward a Canadian audience because the show was on CBC, or they were inside jokes. Either way, I'm a hockey zealot, and I still didn't know what the hell Ron was talking about with half of his jokes, and about a quarter of the others weren't funny.

Plus it seems that most of MacLean's jokes direct attention toward him, such as the really dopey one where he pulled out his cell phone -- playing the "Hockey Night" theme that CBC just lost to CTV -- and pretending to take a call from Sean Avery.

Maybe it's just me.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well done on your predictions PK, I was a bit surprised at Brodeur winning the Vezina though as I thought Nabokov had a better year overall. Well deserving for the rest of the gang.

About Ronnie, I am fine with him being the host. Yes, there are times where he says things where only HE seems to get joke, he has that goofy side of him at times that comes unexpectedly, but that's why you have a Don Cherry next to him to straighten him up. He's done some great stuff hosting the Olympics, and he knows his stuff. Maybe some of his jokes are indeed geared towards the CDN audience but I enjoy watching him overall. Keep Simmer with Hughie, they have some chemistry there.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Let's see if Craig Hartsburg's leash can fix the Sens' woes. I think Tortorella would have been a better choice for OTT but he's more than capable to make things happen and more importantly make people accountable for their actions.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I posted this over in the NASCAR thread, but I thought some of you might get a kick out my new NASCAR 09 car;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Cool car. But Stanley Cup 2008 logo on the rear quarter panel? Wishful thinking, man. :)

Take care,
PK

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:Cool car. But Stanley Cup 2008 logo on the rear quarter panel? Wishful thinking, man. :)

Take care,
PK
Yeah yeah.

I initially just had a plain NHL logo there, but wanted to spruce it up with a playoff logo. I guess I thought that was just the playoff logo. I'll change it (but spare you guys a re-post!).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No, that is the playoffs logo, dude! Looks good.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nicely done Naples. Man, I need to know how you get that paint on your car. I have photoshop btw, and I also heard of paint.net, but whatever program can you tell how you did it? Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

10spro wrote:Let's see if Craig Hartsburg's leash can fix the Sens' woes. I think Tortorella would have been a better choice for OTT but he's more than capable to make things happen and more importantly make people accountable for their actions.
I agree. As a casual fan of the Sen-a-chokes I would have loved that nutcase Tortorella behind the bench.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congratulations to Igor Larionov and G. Anderson for making it into the Hockey HOF. Both well deserved but where's does the Russian Rocket Pavel Bure fit in the equation? Is the league ignoring his numbers because of his so called short career? In twelve seasons he scored 437 goals had five season where he scored 50+ goals including two 60 goals seasons. He also had two great seasons in FLO. Doesn't he deserved to be mentioned at least? One of the most exciting, electrifying players for the Canucks and the NHL in his years of service.

To give the league the benefit of a doubt, Glen waited 12 years after his retirement, a clutch playoff performer.

And with the likes of B. Hull, Stevie Y, B. Leetch, L. Robitaille eligible for next year, P. Bure may still have to wait awhile.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Woot, I'm excited... the draft is here in Ottawa, and as a season ticket holder for the Sens (well, one of those flex pack thingys) I have a ticket to the draft.

I'm going with my buddy to see Round 1 on Friday night. It might end up being boring, sitting watching teams pick, but hey, it might be the only time in my life I get to see it live! ;)

I'll be sporting my Oilers jersey, that's for sure!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gangrel wrote:Woot, I'm excited... the draft is here in Ottawa, and as a season ticket holder for the Sens (well, one of those flex pack thingys) I have a ticket to the draft.

I'm going with my buddy to see Round 1 on Friday night. It might end up being boring, sitting watching teams pick, but hey, it might be the only time in my life I get to see it live! ;)

I'll be sporting my Oilers jersey, that's for sure!
Atta boy!

With Stamkos a lock as the No. 1 pick, the most exciting part of this year's draft will be any deals that take place around it.

Take care,
PK

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Flyers trade Prospal back to Lightning.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3451209
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25