OT: 2008 Elections/Politics thread, Part 2

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

OT: 2008 Elections/Politics thread, Part 2

Post by Jared »

New politics thread. Old one is here.
Last edited by Jared on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Meet the new thread, same as the old thread.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Let me reiterate what I said in the previous thread...

:)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'm still heeeerrrreee!

Always at the forefront of political progression! Can you say the same about my opponent?

:wink:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Dude, having to put up with that picture of Cousin It in the Sex In The City thread was bad enough.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

webdanzer wrote:Always at the forefront of political aggression! Can you say the same about my opponent?

:wink:
Fixed.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Well, now we know that at least one statement in her campaign was true. When she said "Clintons don't quit" she really meant it. Really! Can you imagine this family playing Monopoly on Friday night? They must still be appealing rulings to Supreme Courts from the 50's... :D

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Supposedly she will endorse Obama and suspend her campaign on Friday.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

wco81 wrote:Supposedly she will endorse Obama and suspend her campaign on Friday.
Riiiiiiiiiight.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm pretty sure she will do that. I imagine the VP negotiations are going on right now. She's probably trying to gauge whether Obama is considering her. But her campaign is over and she knows it. The rest is just a formality.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Brando70 wrote:She's probably trying to gauge whether Obama is considering her.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those negotiations. I hope he's not considering her, but they have to find another way to bring her followers into the Obama fold... you know, those followers who currently threaten to sit out or vote for McCain, endangering their own interests out of spite. And for those who have cried sexism (Geraldine Ferraro), it'll be interesting to see the reaction if they pick another female VP candidate (like Gov. Sebelius from Kansas who seems destined to be played by Kristen Wiig on SNL). Many Hillary supporters can't seem to separate the issue of her gender from the idea that people just don't like all that Clinton bullshit. And speaking of, Bill will not go through all the necessary vetting with regards to donations for his library and whatnot that would be required of him. Who knows what that dude's been up to the past few years. Those are two personalities that are just too big to have downticket. Make her health care czar (though I'd rather not). Hell, offer her a supreme court nom if a spot opens up. Or better yet, let her take a loss as a loss and approach her Senate job as more than just a stepping stone, show some integrity and campaign like hell for Obama (fat chance). It's fitting that her Iraq vote, which you know she made with the presidential candidacy in mind so as not to appear "soft" on security in the way that dems seem to, sowed the seeds of her undoing.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Slumberland wrote:
Brando70 wrote:She's probably trying to gauge whether Obama is considering her.
Many Hillary supporters can't seem to separate the issue of her gender from the idea that people just don't like all that Clinton bullshit.
To be fair that's only appropriate given the number of Obama supporters crying "racism" every time someone criticizes the Annointed One.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

RobVarak wrote:To be fair that's only appropriate given the number of Obama supporters crying "racism" every time someone criticizes the Annointed One.
You can't stop him. You can only have the audacity of hope to contain him.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Great t-shirt idea!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree with Slumber on the reasons why Clinton would be a poor choice for VP. However, given how close the primary was, it would also make sense for Obama at least offer it to her and let her decide what to do. In my opinion, the best way out would be to negotiate this with her: he offers her the VP position knowing she'll decline, and she declines by saying she wants to return to the Senate instead of being the VP. It would make him look conciliatory and let her save some face instead of settling for the VP's office.

I do think she'll support his candidacy completely. Her supporters may be threatening to vote McCain, but she won't rock the boat now that it's over.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

But what if she agrees to turn it down, then they get to the press conference and she pulls a (SPOILER!) Tony Stark at the end of Iron Man and says "I will be the next Vice President of the United States." Fade to black, cue rock music.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I think most, if not all, of the anti-Obama angst being vented by the Clintonistas will be long forgotten come November. The Olde Enemy will help coalesce the Democrats fairly effectively.

This whole ballgame is going to come down to the turnout and the small number of truly undecided/independent voters in Ohio and possibly Missouri as well. There are a number of electoral projection maps out there already, and they're pretty consistent. Look for armies of lawyers to descend on Ohio again come election day...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Slumberland wrote: Many Hillary supporters can't seem to separate the issue of her gender from the idea that people just don't like all that Clinton bullshit.
YES!...and more specifically her bullshit.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:
I do think she'll support his candidacy completely. Her supporters may be threatening to vote McCain, but she won't rock the boat now that it's over.
Yes she will...but...Its not out of the goodness of that cold heart. She has scorched enough earth.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

RobVarak wrote:I think most, if not all, of the anti-Obama angst being vented by the Clintonistas will be long forgotten come November. The Olde Enemy will help coalesce the Democrats fairly effectively.

This whole ballgame is going to come down to the turnout and the small number of truly undecided/independent voters in Ohio and possibly Missouri as well. There are a number of electoral projection maps out there already, and they're pretty consistent. Look for armies of lawyers to descend on Ohio again come election day...
So for the third straight election, it'll be a 50-49 or 51-48 split?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

wco81 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:I think most, if not all, of the anti-Obama angst being vented by the Clintonistas will be long forgotten come November. The Olde Enemy will help coalesce the Democrats fairly effectively.

A lot can happen between now and then. I suspect it will be close, but five months is a long time for candidates to screw up.

The wildcard for both candidates is Bush. Changes in Iraq or the economic situation (good or bad) will affect both candidates. I would give an advantage to Obama there since Bush's popularity is so low, he's dragging down the Republicans in the process. But another Jeremiah Wright type of incident could definitely chop Obama off at the knees.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think McCain actually has a tougher tightrope to walk than Obama.

The Hillary Democrats eventually will rally to Obama's side, as their desire to have a Dem in the White House is stronger than their distaste for Obama.

But McCain must somehow find a way to connect to and curry the favor of the conservative religious right, which comprises nearly all of 28 percent of the U.S. that still supports Bush. But as McCain makes overtures to the far right, he risks alienating centrist Republicans who may jump to the Obama camp or undecided swing voters.

I think McCain faces a tougher task unifying his party than Obama does his. It's going to be a tight election, either way, barring a Gary Hart-style screw-up.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:
Possibly, but not necessarily. There could be a squeaker of an electoral decision with a fairly large margin in popular vote...particularly if Obama wins because he is going to win California and Illinois by huge margins.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Trying to remember why Clinton won in a landslide over Dole in '96.

How did we get stuck into this almost 50-50 deadlock?

I think a lot of blue-collar voters will never vote for Obama. They didn't need Wright or the bitter comments. Those incidents gave them license but they believe he's a Muslim.

Those voters comprise a key portion of swing states like PA and OH.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:I think a lot of blue-collar voters will never vote for Obama. They didn't need Wright or the bitter comments. Those incidents gave them license but they believe he's a Muslim.
You're absolutely right. In fact, my brother-in-law, who is a blue-collar worker, just forwarded me an "Obama is a Muslim" chain e-mail last night. Why the hell he sent it to me, when he knows that I think those claims are bullsh*t, is mystifying.

But you're right, man: There is a large chunk of lesser-educated, lesser-informed voters who fervently believe Obama is a disciple of Osama.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425