INDY 500 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

INDY 500 2008

Post by pigpen81 »

I don't know about you but I am apmped for the INDY 500 today.

I was so amped, I set up a speedway track on my courts at school on Friday and we had some awesome scooterboard races in my phys ed classes. (Our version of the INDY 500...I even sang "At Home Again"...yes...my 8th graders think I am really wierd.)

My local paper, (The San Diego Union Tribune), has a terrific article about this year being the beginning of INDY regaining its dominance in racing.

I want to congratulate Paul (PK) and Arni (Neckthai) for what looks like the bearing fruits of their hard work in their years working for the Indianapolis Speedway.

I can only imagine that this month has been much more fun to be at the track since the split 12 years ago.

Here's to a great race.

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

I'm amped, cause I get to see the race in HD for the First Time

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

This is my 2nd race in HD and I too am AMPED!!! I have always been a CART fan and have longed for them to join forces. I have always been a fan of the 500 but at times have struggled to get into IRL races. Things should become easier as they start runnning more road courses!

Back to the topic...........Its a great Memorial Day weekend so far!!
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

Awesome race!

Just depressed I wasn't there this year, once you do it once, it doesn't do the same on TV :(
[url=http://www.whoneedsrules.com]WhoNeedsRules.com[/url]

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I want to thank ABC for keeping the camera focused on things that don't pertain to the action. There was a point there were the lead was going back and forth and I have no clue what ABC was doing but we saw none of it.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

The race was today? I thought it was going to be on Memorial Day. Who won that yearly PK contest where he gives free tix to someone on the boards?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pretty entertaining race today, but Dixon was just dominant.

pretty sh*ty what Marco did to Kanaan and even sh*tier what happened to Danica in the pits. Briscoe's move was just dumb. I don't blame her one bit for being pissed. To get taken out by such a stupid move is terrible.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I just watched SC just to see who won out of curiosity since I did not know the race was today. I was surprised they didn't even lead with it, it was NBA. I remember in the day that on Indy 500 day, that was the big story all the sports casts lead with. Is NASCAR that dominant these days? I know during Daytona, all the news feeds start off with NASCAR. But mid Fed nothing else in other sports is going on so I can see why, but Indy really has to ramp up it's PR.

One good thing they have going for it is Danica. I think if one she wins and they market her right, she can maybe put them in some limelight for some time.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Can someone explain to me how the tradition of the milk for the winner started? Surely Dixon would have preferred a beer :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:Can someone explain to me how the tradition of the milk for the winner started? Surely Dixon would have preferred a beer :)
Winner’s Drink Of Milk

Three-time “500” winner Louis Meyer regularly drank buttermilk on a hot day, as his mother had told him it would refresh him, and he consumed some in Victory Lane as a matter of course after earning his third “500” victory in 1936. A dairy industry executive happened to see a photograph of this in the following day’s newspaper and, believing it to be regular milk, vowed to make sure this would be repeated in the coming years. Milk was part of the Victory Lane ceremony between 1937 and 1941 and then again in 1946, the first year after World War II, but disappeared between 1947 and 1955. The tradition was revived in 1956 and continues to this day.

The history of other Indy 500 traditions:

http://www.indy500.com/content/History/ ... ditions/16

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Can someone explain to me how the tradition of the milk for the winner started? Surely Dixon would have preferred a beer :)
Winner’s Drink Of Milk

Three-time “500” winner Louis Meyer regularly drank buttermilk on a hot day, as his mother had told him it would refresh him, and he consumed some in Victory Lane as a matter of course after earning his third “500” victory in 1936. A dairy industry executive happened to see a photograph of this in the following day’s newspaper and, believing it to be regular milk, vowed to make sure this would be repeated in the coming years. Milk was part of the Victory Lane ceremony between 1937 and 1941 and then again in 1946, the first year after World War II, but disappeared between 1947 and 1955. The tradition was revived in 1956 and continues to this day.

Take care,
PK
You home yet bro? I hope so. It was good race. As always IMS looked great and the coverage Pre and Post race was steller! I loved your take on the Goo Goo Dolls! :wink: :lol:
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yep, I'm home. Great month, but good to be home.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Pity there was no green flag racing. Looked more like a DSP nascar night.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Pity there was no green flag racing. Looked more like a DSP nascar night.
There did seem to be an awful lot of yellows, but most of them seemed avoidable.

PK...what did you think of the Danica/pit lane incident? what about the
Kanaan/Marco incident? Would be interested in your thoughts.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Pity there was no green flag racing. Looked more like a DSP nascar night.
or you not figuring corners in TOCA.. :roll:

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

pk500 wrote:
Winner’s Drink Of Milk

Take care,
PK
Except for Emerson Fittipaldi, didn't he dring orange juice back in the early 90's when he won. All because he was advertising for his orange tree farm or something.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ExtremeGamer wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Winner’s Drink Of Milk

Take care,
PK
Except for Emerson Fittipaldi, didn't he dring orange juice back in the early 90's when he won. All because he was advertising for his orange tree farm or something.
You need to hang out here at DSP a little more! Glad to see you post here Scott.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

I plan on it. Thanks man!

And I just realized I typed "dring orange juice" LOL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ExtremeGamer wrote:Except for Emerson Fittipaldi, didn't he dring orange juice back in the early 90's when he won. All because he was advertising for his orange tree farm or something.
Correct you are, my friend. Emmo waved off milk in Victory Circle in 1993 and took orange juice since he owns large orange groves in Brazil.

It was a move that still is met with tremendous scorn from fans today.

Another little-known fact about the drink of milk: Drivers have five choices of types of milk they want -- whole, skim, 1 percent, 2 percent or lactose-intolerant milk. Drivers actually fill out a questionnaire during the month with their preference. An older woman known as "The Milk Lady" carries around a small Igloo cooler with bottles of all five types of milk in it, giving the winning driver his or her bovine juice of choice in Victory Circle.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

As Jack said, good to see you here, man! :)

Take care,
PK

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

nyisles16 wrote:
or you not figuring corners in TOCA.. :roll:
HAHA was that Toca ? Still havnt figured out ovals if thats what your on about.