OT: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Post by ScoopBrady »

Being a fan of the old Castle Wolfenstein on the Xbox due to it's character class system and a fan of the Quake franchise I find myself very interested in this game for the 360. If my pc could handle it I would have already gotten it for that but it can't. The Battlefield gameplay mixed with the Wolfenstein class system sounds like a great time to me. Anyone else going to at least rent this one?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Post by RobVarak »

ScoopBrady wrote:Being a fan of the old Castle Wolfenstein on the Xbox due to it's character class system and a fan of the Quake franchise I find myself very interested in this game for the 360. If my pc could handle it I would have already gotten it for that but it can't. The Battlefield gameplay mixed with the Wolfenstein class system sounds like a great time to me. Anyone else going to at least rent this one?
Definitely. I'm afraid that it's going to be swamped in the post-GTA XBL world, but it looks like it would be fun as hell!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Check out the 3d screenshots at IGN. Looking good.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/875/875458p1.html
I am a patient boy.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I keep getting this game and Halo Wars confused LOL. I saw some HW screenshots and they look real nice as well.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Can I tempt anyone with this?

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfi8vWBHH2A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

I know there's no interest in this but it just seems like the exact type of game that DSPers would love to play together.
I am a patient boy.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I picked this up today and after finishing training and learning the ropes against bots I have a big smile on my face because of what I think lies ahead with this game. It's like somebody took things from my favorite multiplayer games and put them in a blender. I see things that remind me of Team Fortress, Shadowrun, Battlefield, Castle Wolfenstein, and Splinter Cell! I'll post more impressions when I get more time with it to continue my conversation with myself.
I am a patient boy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I'll rent it, Scoop. I thought it was odd that Frontlines didn't take off here either, given the different classes, special abilities, need to work together, etc.

I think there are just too many darn games! :)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Okay now that I have a better grasp on things I'm really digging this game.

It reminds me of Battlefield because of the big maps, vehicles, and aircraft.

It reminds me of Splinter Cell because there's some hacking involved. There's also some intel delivery like the old canisters in Pandora's and Chaos Theory. There's even some mine laying.

It reminds me of Team Fotress because the engineer can build and fix things and the Covert Ops can steal identities.

It reminds me of Castle Wolfenstein because it's based off of it. There's objectives to work your way towards and once you start advancing in the map you can control closer spawn points.

It reminds me of Shadowrun because there's 5 classes and a lot of strategy. The medics even remind me of Rezzing.

The 5 classes are:

Soldier- Heavy weapons and explosives

Medic - Revive teammates and drop health packs ala Wolfenstein

Engineer - Deploy turrets, lay mines, repair, disarm explosives

Field Ops - Deploys artillery and missile systems, call in air strikes

Covert Ops - Sniper, hacker, uses remote viewing equipment, deploys radar, steals identities.

The types of objectives are:

Deploy MCP - Drive the MCP to a destination and deploy it - any class can complete this and engineers are relied on heavily to keep fixing it.

Construct - Repair or construct objective - only engineer or Strogg equivalent(Constructor) can complete this.

Destroy - Plant and arm explosives - only Soldier or Strogg equivalent (Aggressor) can complete this. Once it is armed you have to defend it until it explodes.

Hack - Hack enemy device - Only Covert Ops or Strogg equivalent (Infiltrator) can complete this.

Drone Attack - Detonate Flyer Drones against an objective - Only Strogg Infiltrator can complete this.

Transport - Deliver object to destination - Any class can complete.

Defend - Defend objective - Any class can complete.

A typical round consists of three or four objectives that must be completed within a time limit. It does a good job of forcing the action to specific areas of the map and adds tension over defending or completing the objective. There was a lot of strategy involved too.

For example when trying to deploy the MCP the Strogg will set up turrets that will damage the MCP. You will have to use an engineer to fix the MCP so it can resume its journey but to do that your team will have to clear the area of turrets and enemies long enough. This scenario really reminded me of Team Fortress and Shadowrun.

Destroy objectives sound easy but once you get the explosives planted you have to ward off the enemy from disabling them. A task that proves more difficult than you would think and requires teamwork to accomplish.

As it is I've got the basics down but have barely scratched the surface of this game (something else that reminds me of Shadowrun.) Anyone else want to join Web in renting this one? I know the old Shadowrun crew would like this one (you hear that Rob, Zep, and JRod?) and I even think you would like it Teal. Please, please, please give it a rent. Please. :lol:

Oh, did I mention there's a party system too?
I am a patient boy.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Scoop,

I should have a copy tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

I had no idea this even came out.

I too was bummed that Frontlines had little following when it was simply a better version of 1942/Desert Combat mod.

I'll check this out eventually, but I know very little on it other than what Scoop just posted.
[url=http://www.whoneedsrules.com]WhoNeedsRules.com[/url]

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Picked this up today and played through the tutorial and a few games with randoms. Looks REALLY promising. Can't wait to try it out with some DSP'ers.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I'm going to GF it. Enemy Territory (Wolfenstien) on the PC was a blast.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Scoop:

I get a kick out of seeing 'I think you'd like it Teal' on my screen-dammit, I've been here too long! But whenever you get excited about a shooter...my name invariably pops up...:lol:

I have to admit, I've never even heard of this game-didn't know one damn thing about it. I liked Frontlines quite a bit, but by the time I got it from GF...everyone was gone. Oh well.

All's I can say is that I'll put it on my GF list...we'll see what happens from there. But yeah...it looks good...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I should be on with this over the weekend if anyone is interested.
I am a patient boy.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I may end up getting this one early this week. I wouldn't have any time to play before Tuesday anyway. I put it on my GF queue, and it was listed as 'available,' but now it's listed as 'low.' Who knows when they will receive the one I sent them, anyway. If it's not shipped out by Monday, I'll buy it. I should have lots of time for gaming in the middle of the week.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Hang in there Scoop I am getting this one for my bday next Friday, maybe I'll see if the wife will give it to me early :)

BTW do you still have AO2? they release some free co-op maps.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Danimal wrote:Hang in there Scoop I am getting this one for my bday next Friday, maybe I'll see if the wife will give it to me early :)

BTW do you still have AO2? they release some free co-op maps.
Yes I do and I'd love to finish it in co-op. I either have one or two missions left. I didn't know they released a map pack. I'll have to check it out over the weekend.

Glad to hear people are going to be renting this game. I can't wait to try it with DSPers.
I am a patient boy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Well, Gamefly doesn't seem to want to give me this. :( It's been skipped over twice, though it's sitting at the top of my queue. Folks still enjoying this?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I've only dabbled, and I'm dying to play. My appetite is whet, but with the Cubs on the West Coast this week, my gaming is more limited than usual :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Scoop, I should have it the first of next week...it has shipped (a couple of days ago, in fact)
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

webdanzer wrote:Well, Gamefly doesn't seem to want to give me this. :( It's been skipped over twice, though it's sitting at the top of my queue. Folks still enjoying this?
Without a doubt. A killer work week combined with a Cubs west coast trip means that I haven't had the time to play this week. I'm definitely going to be playing tonight. That sucks that Gamefly keeps skipping it.

I'm glad you'll have it next week Teal. I think you'll enjoy it.

Danimal, did you ever end up getting it?

Zep, did Gamefly ship yours?

We should definitely get a party going when more people have it. I'll look for you online tonight Rob.
I am a patient boy.