OT: Lost my wallet. Suggestions?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Lost my wallet. Suggestions?

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

While I was driving to work this morning I got that funny feeling you get when you know something's missing.

Well, I have no idea where the damn thing is, other that it ain't in my house, car or office.

Now, I've taken the following steps:

1. Canceled my credit cards. Should be receiving new cards in a couple of biz days.
2. Canceled my ATM card. Will pick up new one tomorrow.
3. Filled a police report.
4. Went to equifax.com and requested a 90 day fraud alert. They say that they'll share the info with TransUnion and Experian.
5. Will go to the DMV on monday to get a new driver's license and my car's registration.

Still, I'm freaking out about possible identity theft. I had my social security card in my wallet which is looking more stupid by the minute.

Is there ANY other steps I should be taking after this?

Thanx guys.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I think you've done everything you can. Unless your sure it was stolen, I would try to rest easy, it could be in the trash somewhere. I would recommend also going through anything that auto-billed to your credit cards and updating those records/transaction preferences - the last thing you need is a ding against your credit because a bill that was auto-paid on AMEX got declined because the card number has changed.

The only other recommendation would be perhaps to renew after the 90-day credit monitoring expires. True bad guys can be incredibly patient; in the computer industry we've seen hackers wait for as much as a year before using a stolen ID/credentials.

The bottom line is that getting your SS# is relatively easy to do in today's world, so you're no more exposed by having it in your wallet than by not. Canceling your credit cards and monitoring your credit have basically rendered everything else in your wallet close-to-useless as well.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It'll probably turn up, now that you've made all these changes. :lol:

I've had that funny feeling, turning into annoyed feeling, turning into relieved feeling.

I now usually just carry a money clip with just a couple of cards and my DL and leave other stuff at home.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

You've taken all the right steps, Javi. Good luck finding it, man. Hopefully it will turn up soon.

This episode should serve as a reminder to all of us to take everything in our wallets -- driver's license, credit cards, library cards, video store cards, etc. -- and put them on a copying machine so you have one or two pieces of paper that show everything that was in your wallet in case this scenario occurs.

It's a hell of a lot easier reaching for one or two sheets of paper in your files than wondering: "Hmm, was this card in there? What about that one?"

That reminds me: I haven't done this process in a while. Need to head to a copier here at the track!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Lost my wallet. Suggestions?

Post by matthewk »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Is there ANY other steps I should be taking after this?
Check your wife's purse for it :)
-Matt

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote: This episode should serve as a reminder to all of us to take everything in our wallets -- driver's license, credit cards, library cards, video store cards, etc. -- and put them on a copying machine so you have one or two pieces of paper that show everything that was in your wallet in case this scenario occurs.

It's a hell of a lot easier reaching for one or two sheets of paper in your files than wondering: "Hmm, was this card in there? What about that one?"

That reminds me: I haven't done this process in a while. Need to head to a copier here at the track!

Take care,
PK
I need to do this too. Thanks for the headsup!

Good luck Javi. If it was stolen, I can't think of too many things lower than stealing someone's wallet or purse. Makes me sick.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

matthewk wrote:
That's where Jack's wallet is...not Javy's.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
matthewk wrote:
True.

I'm not even married.

But I did do a "thorough" body search on my gf. Didn't find a wallet though. :P

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Check your wife's purse for it

Check up your ass db....maybe you'll find your head there.
Last edited by JackB1 on Fri May 16, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Your wallet is in that pocket in your gym bag. I know it seemed like a good idea at the time, but since you never use that pocket...