Madden 09 gameplay video

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Madden 09 gameplay video

Post by ScoopBrady »

IGN has posted a gameplay movie for Madden 09. It looks pretty much the same as it has with a different view when you drop back to pass. It looks pretty early since there's no commentary. Not bad but definitely won't do much for people unimpressed with it on current gen.

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14229536&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/vi ... rking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

How do you imbed the video into threads?

As for the game ...... yawn.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:
Yawn is right. I couldn't tell you if I was watching Madden 06, 07, 08 or 09 unless you told me. Looks like a Blitz The League 2 purchase instead.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Rodster wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Yawn is right. I couldn't tell you if I was watching Madden 06, 07, 08 or 09 unless you told me. Looks like a Blitz The League 2 purchase instead.

you know what it looks like with that camera angle? QB Club for N64.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I may be the only one who cares about these things, but it unfortunately looks like a) still just the one camera angle, b) still no refs on the field, and c) for the 20th straight year, defenders chasing a streaking ballcarrier still run after him single file all the way down the field. I sure hope BackBreaker comes out this year.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Tough crowd (not that EA hasn’t brought that upon themselves). I think the camera is a major improvement, the graphics look much sharper and the weather effects are at a whole other level from 06-08. I’d also note that Favre actually got some air under the touchdown throw, which makes me hopeful that the dreadful passing physics of ’08 have been reworked.

That said, the panned camera doesn’t do much to show off the sharper graphics, the lack of officials on the field continues to be a bizarre omission, and there is still plenty in the game engine that needs work. But this looks like a step in the right direction.

As an addendum, it looks like the players are in much better proportion to the field now. The field on next gen has been incredibly constricted because the proportions have been all off, allowing the superhuman LBs to cover way too much ground. Just getting the spacing right could make a huge difference in how the game plays.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

seanmac31 wrote: But this looks like a step in the right direction.
I think that's what we're all tired of, that Step in the right direction. There should be no more steps left, since they've had this game out on next gen year 3 now. Why pay 400 bucks for a system when you get a game where the last gen has more options still in year 3! and it's not just EA, it's other companies too. At least NHL08 got it right in what, year 2 of next gen? I think we're all done listening to excuses from these gaming companies.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I kinda like what I see.

I do think if the presentation is much improved, it could make the game play stand out a bit more. Here's hoping. Frankly, I bored of the game rather quickly because the presentation was bland.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:
seanmac31 wrote: But this looks like a step in the right direction.
I think that's what we're all tired of, that Step in the right direction. There should be no more steps left, since they've had this game out on next gen year 3 now. Why pay 400 bucks for a system when you get a game where the last gen has more options still in year 3! and it's not just EA, it's other companies too. At least NHL08 got it right in what, year 2 of next gen? I think we're all done listening to excuses from these gaming companies.
Thank you and well said although I like to correct one thing. We are in year 4 of nextgen Madden (06, 07, 08, 09).

I'm tired of hearing the same thing as well or the "I know there are problems but i'm looking forward to next year." :evil:

I still have my copy of Madden 07 for the 360. And you know what I can't tell the difference between Madden 07 and that video. I skipped Madden 08 and i'll probably do the same. And what's with the animation where guys are lying flat on their ass like they've been shot. :roll:

The only football i'm interested in these days is something called FIFA.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

It looks and sounds some better. The weather effects are improved.

That's about all I can tell from one montage.

The key will be if it is fun to play. MLB 2K was not fun last year but has been fun this year. I could only find that out by buying and playing. I imagine it will be the same for Madden (and NCAA).

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I think I figured out why Madden bothers me still... it's just one-on-one football. One man tackles. One man blocking. It just doesn't have the ebb and flow of football.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

I couldn't even tell if there was new footage in that clip at all. I didn't even finish my season in '08 but I am pretty sure i can have fun trying again this year. I always say i will hold off on buying the new years version but i think this time i am serious.

I find the next gen sport games are just not as fun as the past gen. Probably because they are just too complicated and flashy looking that they forget about FUNdamentals.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod wrote:I think I figured out why Madden bothers me still... it's just one-on-one football. One man tackles. One man blocking. It just doesn't have the ebb and flow of football.
Once again you nailed it. ;)
kicko wrote:I couldn't even tell if there was new footage in that clip at all. I didn't even finish my season in '08 but I am pretty sure i can have fun trying again this year. I always say i will hold off on buying the new years version but i think this time i am serious.

I find the next gen sport games are just not as fun as the past gen. Probably because they are just too complicated and flashy looking that they forget about FUNdamentals.
I did that for the first time last year since playing Madden 97 on the PC and i'm much better off for it. I fired up Madden 07 the other day and not only does the game look remarkably the same with all it's quirks but I bet there's a 97% chance the game will play the same as well. :P

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Exactly and since there will be no '09 PC version and i also got 08 for the pc i think that will be the best football gaming experience this coming season. Yeah i said that before '09 is out. :)

Honestly it does not have to look sofa king amazing but just play a good, fun game.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think I too will pass on madden this year. It will be my first time doing that. I always got it since I it was the only NFL football game out there the last 2 years but like you guys said, I can probably just get 07 for like 5 bucks since 90 some percent of it will be the same as 09.

Now just waiting for Danimal's Pro Madden 09 thread explaining how this year they've changed everything for the better :)

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

JRod wrote:I think I figured out why Madden bothers me still... it's just one-on-one football. One man tackles. One man blocking. It just doesn't have the ebb and flow of football.
What bothers me is the lack of contextual animations. Look at APF, how the quarterbacks drop and set up, the difference in their throwing motions depending on who they are and what kind of pass they're attempting, or look at the OL/DL interaction or the DB/WR battle on the line of scrimmage. I was playing a game the other day and a linebacker reached out and tried to jam a receiver coming through his zone before letting the player by him. That kind of realistic interaction between players or even for players in isolation is still missing from EA's football games, and it's baffling. Just watch how receiver run their patterns in the two games; in APF, they shake their way off the line, accelerate, then plant and cut cleanly. In Madden or NCAA, they run these incredibly lazy, inprecise routes with minimal interaction with or consideration of the DB.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Again this is the price you pay when you have exclusivity. It's not because people miss NFL2K5 or whatever.

The problem for EA is that the game basically looks and plays the same sans a gameplay gimmick here or there. Why bother spending $60 for the same sh*t ever year when you can just play the same game a couple of years ago for like $5 at any game store because that's what your really getting when you cut thru the new cover art and rosters.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Bleh....

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

The jump between FIFA 07 and FIFA 08 was fairly substantial even though early on it didn't look graphically far superior. In reality I'm not expecting much at all from this years Madden but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed like the rest of you. Hopefully they address the gameplay issues from last years mode and spice things up a bit.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Head Coach baby. :)

Besides the weather i couldn't tell a difference to be honest, well I mean the player models look more like the 2K models which isn't a plus for me. Of course I'll wait until about July before I hit the panic button. I'm not expecting a major overhaul anyway but an early video is not going to make me stop paying attention.

I would have enjoyed last years game minus the turn overs, so I guess i won't be hard to please.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:
I would have enjoyed last years game minus the turn overs, so I guess i won't be hard to please.
I enjoyed last years EA games WITH "the turnovers" ... :D

I think I have a bad football addiction.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Honestly, I could give a s*** about the graphics if it plays okay. I liked the running game last year, and the passing game was also decent (not great) after the patch. It was all the bugs and turnovers that killed the game for me.

The weather effects definitely look better, and the passing camera seemed a little wider than the one last year. I also liked the way Favre floated a pass without it looking like it was full of flubber.

Having said that, I am sure they will find a way to cock the game up. Their QA process rivals 2ks for dreadfulness.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The wider camera for passing is preferable.

But that's what we had in the last generation before they used a tighter angle for the first games of the current generation.

So they're giving us something old and touting it as a new feature?

Probably one of the 85 new features they tout? Formation audibles and package subs are also among the "new" features?

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Someone over at OS has posted a new trailer. Looks much better than past offerings, but underneath the shiny coat of paint, it looks like it's still the same old Madden. It will be tempting to buy this year, and I'd definitely be in if we were in year 1 (not year 4) of the next gen cycle. But if BackBreaker is released, I think it will take more for Tiburon to win back my football gaming dollars.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/m ... ilers.html