NCAA '09 impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

JackDog wrote:I bought the PS2 version of this years game and it really plays a great game of football. The defense works. I am playing it on my PS3 and the graphics aren't to bad at all. I am all about gameplay and so far that hasen't been to shabby. I am pleased.

Do they still have Create a School in the ps2 version? And if so, has it changed or been enhanced since 2003?

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Just got the game today and played twice on all american level, default sliders, 5 min qtrs. Won at home with Iowa vs Michigan 24-14, and won on a last minute TD at Notre Dame 15-14. I really enjoyed pretty much everything about both games. The running game is outstanding this year, not only because of the great blocking and control, but also the way each back feels so different.

One thing that absolutely drives me nuts though- in the game, Iowa's home jerseys have yellow numbers instead of white, and they are ugly as hell. I know it is just a cosmetic issue, but it makes me crazy. I wonder why this happened since they have never gotten the uniforms wrong in any previous NCAA game.
Last edited by HipE on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Inuyasha wrote:
JackDog wrote:I bought the PS2 version of this years game and it really plays a great game of football. The defense works. I am playing it on my PS3 and the graphics aren't to bad at all. I am all about gameplay and so far that hasen't been to shabby. I am pleased.

Do they still have Create a School in the ps2 version? And if so, has it changed or been enhanced since 2003?
I don't see it man. Sorry.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:So.. seems like a mixed bag.

I saw it yesterday at best butt.. and almost did my usual - buy it. Just doesn't seem like it's getting much praise besides how good it looks.

:?:
It's frusturating, isn't it? Especially when you consider Mizzou is one of the top teams in the country, and you're not able to enjoy the game because there are problems with it. I feel the same way with Kansas. They have maybe two or three years where they'll be in the top 25, and I can't get excited about playing the game.
Yes it is and from what I've read, I think I'll skip it this year. Money is tight and I'm already dropping $90 for HC\Madden, plus Power Pros 2008.

I'll keep reading the impressions though! ;)

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

Inuyasha wrote:Also, the feel of being there with the stadiums is great. Really felt I was playing on North Texas' stadium.
Go Mean Green! Fouts Field rules ... not really, but I count not resist a response.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I just had a great game, I started an IU dynasty and had a game against Illinois and I was up 17-0 at the half, they came back and tied it at 17 late in the 3rd. In the 4th I was shutting them donw and managed two fields goals so I am up 23-17.

They get the ball and proceed to drive 15 plays and score to go up by 1 with 24 seconds left. I return the kick to the 30 and then elect to try one of those hail Mary trick plays that never work, well for whatever reason it worked this time. I hit a guy on a long slant and then pitched it to a guy trailing and he was taken down with 3 seconds left and I called my last time out.

I line up for a 52 yard field goal, my kicker is 10-17 on the season with a long of 48. They ice me, and I kick the field goal it's going...going..hits the cross bar and goes through!

Just was sweet and felt the need to tell the story. Of course my upstart team is now 6-1 and still unranked, even though Illinois was #22 at 3-2 coming in. Always something.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm on a roll with this game today. I guess for every 7 good games you'll get 1 bad game, which is pretty good.

I again did random teams and my best game was me Hawaii at Idaho. I ended up being up in the game but Idaho came back on screen passes which I could not stop all game. They went up on me by 4 and I had a winning drive going at the their 10. My RB for Hawaii was JUST AWESOME! He had 150 running yards, and I suck at this game with running the ball. I was ready to win this game w/ a run but my star RB fumbled the ball away at the 5 and Idaho recovered sealing the victory. I watched the replay and it was awesome. The Idaho LB rapped his arm around my RB and swatted the ball out from behind. Really cool, looked like real life.

Another great game was me Bowling Green at Michigan. Michigan was up 7 until the end where I had a drive going but I threw an INT at the 2 yard line which the MICH DB took back for a td.

I just love playing random teams now. Stadiums are awesome and variety of teams are great to play. I wish they had some ladder system instead of dynasty. I think I'll go pick Hawaii now for my dynasty team.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal.. Inuyasha.. stop it! :lol:

I might have to give this game a rent, at least. I do think I'm going to skip the Madden collector's edition and just wait for HC by itself, by then I'll know if it's worth the purchase or not.

For those of you with NCAA 09 and have started your dynasties.. how is recruiting? I hated it last year with all the phone calls and whatnot.. I've read there is a slider you can mess with to have the CPU go for certain type players? How non-tedious can I make recruiting.. is it even possible?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

They added a quick call which you basically set just select the time you spend on the call instead of the long boring thing from last year.

You can tell your coaches who to recruit and turn it on, I let them do it for me and just put my targets up and the type of players i want. For example I told them to look for speed receivers.
Follow Me on:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I don't pay attention much to the dynasty stuff. I think the last time i used it was in ncaa 2004. What I do is just set the schedule, and then play the season and let the cpu handle all the other stuff.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I don't think the game is bad. But I do think the small production team and it's output is really showing. In a recent interview some EA chief, maybe even a producer, said they have a smaller budget and team than does the multi-year blockbusters.

I think it shows in NCAA. There's just too many things that are off for these to be bugs. They ran out of time and shipped it. NCAA really reminds me of NFL 2k, not in gameplay but in bugs and things that are just off. Take away gameplay for a moment and EA Sports had the best games in overall production values.

But in this next-gen era, I just see too much stuff slip by them.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It's by far the buggiest game I've seen released from them in a long time. I can't imagine this is how they wanted to start their push for making the turn. I'll give the devs credit they are hanging around, but for $60 I expect better.

We haven't even started our dynasty yet but I keep reading of problems with that now.

The best thing I got was from GS they gave me a card which lets me trade in NCAA for Madden and get $40 credit. Almost like someone knew something.
Follow Me on:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Right now it's a $40 game selling for $60. The game is good, but if you have to wait for a patch to fix things, that's 20 bucks off retail in my thinking. Just wait a week and Fry's will have this at least for $45 - $50. I was surprised they didnt have a discount price for it on launch week.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah.. the $60 price tag and thoughts I have been reading definitely have me waiting.

Thanks for the recruiting information.. I like the sounds of the stuff Danimal mentioned.

It just kills me that they are the only NCAA football game in town and they have to release it so damn early.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote:
It just kills me that they are the only NCAA football game in town and they have to release it so damn early.
They dont want to get in the way of that Madden thing. Two games to sell.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
They dont want to get in the way of that Madden thing. Two games to sell.
True statement.. and it's too bad.

To play a games like NHL 08 (360) and MLB The Show (psp) kills me to think it's been a really long time since I've enjoyed any console football game like those two games.

Will Head Coach deliver?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think I figured out defense where I can stop the cpu now but still you get that feeling that the cpu will get that 3rd and long on you regardless of what you do.

I started a dynasty w/ Hawaii and put USC as my first opponent. A few years ago, USC started their season vs Hawaii when USC was nat champs and I bet them that first game in that ncaa game year. So I wanted to see how I would do with this game. I kept it close 10-3 at end of the half, but then my qb threw 2 int's that got run backa nd I got killed 45-17.

My second game was at Ore State and I faired much better. My RB just kicked ass, he had 139 rushing yards and my qb was much better. I was up 17-3 at half and ended up winning 41-17. I had one int that I ran back for a td, a fumble recovery, and wait till you hear this, 2 sacks!

So there was some strategy in both my dynasty games which I liked. Also, I got to harp on those stadiums, really great job done by EA.

This game is basically 2Kish with all the bugs, the simliar animations, etc... But it's FUN. Reminds me of those 2k games where ppl always complained about the bugs, db play etc.. etc... but didn't get the point that as a whole, the game was fun and those things didn't ruin the overall experience. Same goes with NCAA 09.

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

I have been holding off on starting a dynasty until I see what sort of patch is going to be released. The roster thing does not bother me too much because I have never used real names at the start of my dynasties. I know who the players are on my team (and the teams I follow) or I can just look them up in a football annual or web site.

The one thing I have figured out is that the game is a lot more fun with lower ranked teams. Making teams equal may also get the same effect. As a UGA fan, it is just not that fun with a 99/99/99 team. Well, maybe a little beating up on Tech.

For years I wrote dynasty articles using North Texas, which was a lot of fun, until they actually got sort of good. Well, now they are not so good, which makes them the perfect team to play with. I had a great game yesterday using North Texas vs. SMU; I won 12-10 ... the game came down to me stopping SMU as time expired.

I am getting stops on 3rd down, but no real formula. The only way I can get decent pressure on the CPU is to "cheat" - I pull one of my linemen to the far end of the line and speed rush the QB. Still not getting many sacks, but it does help a little. As I said, I know I am cheating, but it is helping me to make the game fun. I just call it a "Calvert Blitz" package.

Is the game wroth $60? Depends on how many fundamental football problems you can put up with in a videogame. No doubt, NCAA Football 09 has its fair share. Pretty much a common disaster from that point of view, but the game has moments of fun. If we can get a few minor gameplay fixes via a patch, I think the game would be excellent if sliders and substitution frequency were fixed. At this point, most of the other stuff that has been discussed is not going to be fixed.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I guess it's the norm to release a console sports game and expect a patch right after release nowdays.

Which means, "preordering" is becoming a thing of the past for me.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

JRod wrote:I don't think the game is bad. But I do think the small production team and it's output is really showing. In a recent interview some EA chief, maybe even a producer, said they have a smaller budget and team than does the multi-year blockbusters.

I think it shows in NCAA. There's just too many things that are off for these to be bugs. They ran out of time and shipped it. NCAA really reminds me of NFL 2k, not in gameplay but in bugs and things that are just off. Take away gameplay for a moment and EA Sports had the best games in overall production values.

But in this next-gen era, I just see too much stuff slip by them.
the fact that they were at OS talking about a patch pre-release tells me that they weren't finished.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

jcalvert wrote:
The one thing I have figured out is that the game is a lot more fun with lower ranked teams. Making teams equal may also get the same effect.
Yup, that's been what I've experienced too.
Last edited by Inuyasha on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

MizzouRah wrote:I guess it's the norm to release a console sports game and expect a patch right after release nowdays.

Forget about preordering. These days all the big stores get games and you don't have to wait around for ebgames to call you. When I got NCAA, I came into eb the day before and asked when it would be out, and the guy told me tomorrow but if you haven't preordered, you won't get one, and asked me to preorder right there.

Then I come in the next day and pick it up. Then he tells me that If I want madden, I better preorder since it's going to be very hard to find this year. Bullshit. :)

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

I just came across a strange scoring bug ...
Notice anything really strange with the EMU QB line? He had 3 TDs, but EMU only scored 17 points. What gives? I looked at the scoring summary, and on the last play of the game, EMU scored a TD as time expired. The TD was credited twice (i.e. listed as two line items - 1 yard TD passes)!
Has anyone else seen something like this before? I know past versions of NCAA had various flukes, so maybe this is some sort of carry over from last year?

I rarely pimp my site, but the quote above was taken from a post where I describe the game in more detail.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Inuyasha wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I guess it's the norm to release a console sports game and expect a patch right after release nowdays.

Forget about preordering. These days all the big stores get games and you don't have to wait around for ebgames to call you. When I got NCAA, I came into eb the day before and asked when it would be out, and the guy told me tomorrow but if you haven't preordered, you won't get one, and asked me to preorder right there.

Then I come in the next day and pick it up. Then he tells me that If I want madden, I better preorder since it's going to be very hard to find this year. Bullshit. :)
You're probably right, unless it's a wii game. ;)

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

jcalvert wrote:I just came across a strange scoring bug ...
Notice anything really strange with the EMU QB line? He had 3 TDs, but EMU only scored 17 points. What gives? I looked at the scoring summary, and on the last play of the game, EMU scored a TD as time expired. The TD was credited twice (i.e. listed as two line items - 1 yard TD passes)!
Has anyone else seen something like this before? I know past versions of NCAA had various flukes, so maybe this is some sort of carry over from last year?

I rarely pimp my site, but the quote above was taken from a post where I describe the game in more detail.
In last year's game I saw this occasionally on challenges. I think they'd still credit the TD even if the play was reversed.