PES 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

jimd wrote: If you want a challege try playing with the ML default squad on Top Player level. I am getting my ass handed to me like never before in my ML campaign.
I did play with the default stiffs in the PS3 version on Top Player and won the Div 1 League and Cup double in 3 seasons - the first season you get your ass kicked but once you start adding decent (not even super stars) you'll find the game is too easy. My second season I won Div 2, got promoted and first season in Div 1 won the double.

My double winning side consisted of Bojan Krkic, Roque Santa Cruz and Cameron Jerome (yes, of Birmingham) up front with Rosales (River Plate), Luka Modric and Tulio in midfield. Hardly world beaters.

Play with anything resembling a decent team and the game is piss easy - just play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 and hit the absolutely massive gaps on the wings.

Sure I could stick to the default ML stiffs and never improve my team so the game is more difficult...but then again I could also tie one hand behind my back to do the same. I think the (lack) of difficulty once you have even mediocre players is one of PES 2008's big failings.

And despite what doug (thanks, man!) says I'm no better at PES than many of the veterans here like Naples, met34 and Slumberland.

I'm really intrigued about the Wii version.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Macca if you think the PS3 version is easy you better stay far away from the Wii. I'm an average player and i'm winning consistently on 3 stars with my side handicapped. I'm ready to make the jump to 4 stars.

The only saving grace for the Wii version is the sublime controls. Online will be your best challenge.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's my question for PES Wii, does the AI play the same as the other versions. If so, not matter what controls there are for the Wii, it would seem you could dominate the AI every time.

If the CPU doesn't have improved creativity to have players go on unique runs then this game seems to be heavily slanted towards the user. I know every game's AI isn't as good as human AI, but still it just seems unbalanced that the human player can create unique offensive opportunities but I've heard nothing of having the CPU doing the same.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod this years version is slanted towards the user IMO because of the controls. IMO Konami purposely made the game a little easier so it would cut down on the frustration level while learning the new controls.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rodster wrote:JRod this years version is slanted towards the user IMO because of the controls. IMO Konami purposely made the game a little easier so it would cut down on the frustration level while learning the new controls.
Well yes but I mean, if I can have the my teammates go on crazy runs, it would be nice to see the CPU AI have it's players do the same to the extent CPU AI can.

I fear that even on 5 stars, with the level of control you have, you could really destroy the CPU, more so than the next-gen versions.

I guess let me sum it up like this, does the CPU AI play like it's playing against the traditional control player or a Wii control player. With the uniqueness of the Wii version, I think PES almost has to re-do it's AI to compensate for the level of freedom the human has.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The cpu AI is much more creative when you make the jump to 4 stars on the Wii. I've seen some pretty nice strings of passes in the box. Their pace picks up as well. There's a world of difference between 3 and 4 stars.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

JRod wrote:
I fear that even on 5 stars, with the level of control you have, you could really destroy the CPU, more so than the next-gen versions.
It sounds easier than it is in practice, though. Don't get me wrong, in my league on 3 stars I'm only losing one out of every three or four games, but as long as the cpu steps up 'normal' pressure and coverage, I think things won't get out of whack. Yes, you can do some creative things, move positionings around, etc, but with pressure by the CPU you have to be pretty quick and accurate with your movements and targeting. Given crazy amounts of time I'm sure you could easily out-maneuver the AI, but you don't get crazy amounts of time on 3 stars (Though you get enough) and I think the pressure would be only greater on higher levels. Also, don't forget that though you gain a greater team control than the other version, you lose some finer individual player control.

This all speaks about the CPU keeping up with your creative offenses. I don't have any problem at all with the CPU running a challenging offense of their own. I find defense to be pretty tricky in this game.

Anyway, I need to make the jump to 4 myself.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Macca00 wrote:
jimd wrote: If you want a challege try playing with the ML default squad on Top Player level. I am getting my ass handed to me like never before in my ML campaign.
I did play with the default stiffs in the PS3 version on Top Player and won the Div 1 League and Cup double in 3 seasons - the first season you get your ass kicked but once you start adding decent (not even super stars) you'll find the game is too easy. My second season I won Div 2, got promoted and first season in Div 1 won the double.

My double winning side consisted of Bojan Krkic, Roque Santa Cruz and Cameron Jerome (yes, of Birmingham) up front with Rosales (River Plate), Luka Modric and Tulio in midfield. Hardly world beaters.

Play with anything resembling a decent team and the game is piss easy - just play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 and hit the absolutely massive gaps on the wings.

Sure I could stick to the default ML stiffs and never improve my team so the game is more difficult...but then again I could also tie one hand behind my back to do the same. I think the (lack) of difficulty once you have even mediocre players is one of PES 2008's big failings.

And despite what doug (thanks, man!) says I'm no better at PES than many of the veterans here like Naples, met34 and Slumberland.
I wasn't calling you out, sorry if it was interpreted that way. My point was only that the ML stiffs are even suckier than usual this year. In past editions on top-player/5 stars, I could usually have some competitive games and even win a a few with Castolo and the boys. This year, after 12 games, I have lost 10 and have two draws, scoring TWO goals, and the games are just not fun.

I agree that after signing a even a few average players, things usually get better, pretty quickly. But, that has been the case with all the WE versions--it doesn't long to build up a dominate ML team.

I am thinking of starting a new ML using either Catania or Reading and playing with the real players and then use some self-imposed resrictions on buying players to keep the games realistic.

Ditto on the gaps behind the side-backs. The easiest way to expose the CPU AI is to send some thru-balls down the wing and head for the goal. Where the heck is the adaptive AI that was supposed be the center-piece of this version?

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Hi guys,

Has anyone played the 360 version online as of late? I played a game last night with minimal lag.. It was a good time.

This may have been one of those freak games where everything was smooth.. curious as to what you guys have been seeing, if you've even attempted to play online.

~ Ffia
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I agree with that. The main negative I have with the game is there is just a lot of standing around that goes on, but overall I'm really glad I picked it up.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

webdanzer wrote:
I agree with that. The main negative I have with the game is there is just a lot of standing around that goes on, but overall I'm really glad I picked it up.
Yeah...I guess one of the flaws with this new system is that if nobody "stood around" you wouldn't have enough time to guide everyone around with the wiimote.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I agree with that review. Very good summary. I think PES on the Wii is at the same exact stage NHL was last year where the new controls wow you and bring a whole new level of fun that you never thought was possible. You know it's not perfect and there's some work to be done but the sheer joy you feel when playing it casts a shadow on some of the games downfalls. It really does give you a sense that you're playing a whole new soccer experience like NHL 07 did with hockey. Let's hope PES takes the same step forward that the NHL series did this year.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I agree Scoop. As a novice soccer game player, I'm really loving the game thus far.. much like NHL 07.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

FifaInspected wrote:Hi guys,

Has anyone played the 360 version online as of late? I played a game last night with minimal lag.. It was a good time.

This may have been one of those freak games where everything was smooth.. curious as to what you guys have been seeing, if you've even attempted to play online.

~ Ffia
Complete and utter dogshit in my last game on-line. I was hard pressed to tell what the hell was going on - the lag was absolutely horrible and rendered the game unplayable. I'd say about 20% of the games I've played have been relatively lag free. I actually was laughing my ass off in this last game as the the on screen action was such a joke. That they didn't address the problem in the five months they had since the European release is absolutely unforgiveable.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I tried the superpatch, followed the instructions exactly as written and it didn't work. :(

I think the instructions had said do it on a clean install with no patches but I had previously patched the game to version 1.20

I'll try it again this time with a clean install. Hopefully it'll work this time. If not at least I have PES 6 Superpatch to keep me going. I do like the graphics of PES 2008.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Anyone know if there is an option file available anywhere for the US PSP version? I've searched everywhere...

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

So what's the consensus for PS3 soccer games? I've always been a PES fan. I don't really do much season play anymore, but rather just a quick match here and there. Is PES for PS3 really as bad as I've been hearing? I loved it on the Wii, but this is a totally different beast.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Gamecocks625 wrote:So what's the consensus for PS3 soccer games? I've always been a PES fan. I don't really do much season play anymore, but rather just a quick match here and there. Is PES for PS3 really as bad as I've been hearing? I loved it on the Wii, but this is a totally different beast.
I've loved PES over the years - so much so that it would often be the only game I played in a 3 month span. That being said, I had mixed feelings about the PS3 version.

On one hand, I thought the AI was superb. Not a lot of standing around as in other games plus the CPU was really a challenge to beat. They would adapt to your style and generally play realistically. As well, the preciseness of the controls are great - you can really pull off plays as you see them develop, rather than having to wait for an animation to kick in.

However, the framerate, especially on replays is terrible. As well, I found that the CPU shots were all no more than 3 inches off the ground for some reason - I know they tweaked the shot meter, but it seemed to effect the CPU as well in a negative way.

Anyways, it plays a good overall game still, but I think I will look to EURO2008 as a compliment to PES2008 on the Wii.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This question goes out to anyone who has used the Superpatch. Can you or is it wise to apply the Konami v1.20 patch after installing the Superpatch or will it screw things up? I'm still on v1.10 I believe which is the stock revision.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

ScoopBrady wrote:It really does give you a sense that you're playing a whole new soccer experience like NHL 07 did with hockey. Let's hope PES takes the same step forward that the NHL series did this year.
If they improve the defensive controls for this game, it can easily become one of the most enjoyable sports titles of all-time. Unfortunately, Konami isn't known for making dramatic year to year tweaks in gameplay. Guess we'll find out.

Even still, what a great experience. It's very cool to feel like you've earned every play you make on the field. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming to think about how you have to do everything, including telling the players where to go, making the pass, making the passer run into space, etc.....But in the end, when it all comes together, WOW.

How are you guys making out with one-two passes? I'm starting to improve a bit, but have a way to go. I also like the "run into space after the pass control" (hold a and b on where you want to run after you pass).