PES 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Macca00 wrote:10spro, No I still have the PS3 version...yes, despite the fact that this is my least favourite WE game in years I've bought 3 copies of it (PAL PS3, PAL PS2 and NTSC Xbox 360), lol.

EDIT: Best version is the PS2 one, IMO.
I would agree on the PS2, just as it was with last year's version, although there was no PS3 version, the PS2 was better than the 360.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Macca00 wrote:Well if I have to buy something else to update rosters (while in FIFA I just log into Xbox Live) I think it is a valid criticism of the game to say the rosters aren't up to date.
Well I can't help ya there...I don't have to buy anything for the update. Did you forget you are paying for Xbox Live? I'm not on the PS3. LOL.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Macca00 wrote:Well if I have to buy something else to update rosters (while in FIFA I just log into Xbox Live) I think it is a valid criticism of the game to say the rosters aren't up to date.
Well I can't help ya there...I don't have to buy anything for the update. Did you forget you are paying for Xbox Live? I'm not on the PS3. LOL.
Point taken. :)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, I got the game, and very quickly my main impression is:

AAAAAAHHHHH

It feels so good to be back! The game is a little quick, but I really think only a little. The responsiveness of the controls, though, are so far superior to FIFA it's silly. What's frustrating me most so far in terms of adjusting from FIFA is the lack of the 'FIFA extra touch' and the lack of the queued up pass or shot. I'm having trouble forgetting what I have learned. There is so much one can do on the ball with such simplicity, it's almost breathtaking to me right now in comparison to FIFA.

I got pretty well schooled in my first three matches v. CPU in what used to be 5-stars, so it's a little irritating right now, but I think that's a good thing. I can't seem to create a lot of shots, but I can see the CPU using the slightest change of body angle, the subtlest touches of the ball to carve out space, so I know I just have to re-adjust to a responsive game in order to start beating people and creating chances. The one goal I scored was the result of attacking in the weak spot of the defense. That is, I sent a long lofted through ball into the corner, cut it back, sent in the cross, and scored. If I had waited for the patient build up, I wouldn't have had nearly the advantage I ended up with by getting the ball down field.

It's very refreshing to be reminded how many ways one can have success in this game: utilize superior speed; pass quickly and effectively; utilize superior power and/or on the ball skills; work for set pieces, etc. etc. Coming from FIFA, which seems to only reward tic-tac-toe passing consistently, it's nice to be reminded what an open ball-to-player simuation can allow you to do.

It's so nice to have no 'ball ownership' issues, to have your teammates make the simple 'I will jump over the ball and not touch it' decision when you are trying to clear, to make effective square balls with the through pass, to make effective early crosses,. . . . I could go on. And I'm not even close to comfortable with the game right now.

The fouling seems highly improved over last year, which should serve to tone down the 'uber-player' problem from last year's game. The quick free kicks are much better implemented as well.

If only this game had five on five online that worked, but it doesn't. Looks like I will actually be playing a sports game v. CPU a lot now, as long as it's not in the OTP time zone. Nothing will replace the teamwork and camaraderie of OTP, that's for sure, but whatever flaws there may exist in PES, it's freaking awesome nonetheless and I'm glad to have it. I do think it will be frustrating to jump back and forth between the two, but so be it.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Gamecocks625 wrote: the framerate is absolutely solid (sorry 360/PS3!),

Nothing wrong with the framerate on my 360 game. Smooth as silk.
Not on the cut scenes and replay's though surely. Worst stuttering is when the teams enter the pitch in the pre-match, replays have relatively minor frame rate issues (off-line at least). Gameplay is smooth as silk though.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Zep just got married again ;)

Glad you like it Zep. I figured it was only a matter of time before you picked it up.

[quote="Zeppo"]Well, I got the game, and very quickly my main impression is:

The one goal I scored was the result of attacking in the weak spot of the defense. That is, I sent a long lofted through ball into the corner, cut it back, sent in the cross, and scored. If I had waited for the patient build up, I wouldn't have had nearly the advantage I ended up with by getting the ball down field.

You just described 83% of all the goals scored in Fifa 2003-2007 :)
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Just had two games against Macca - Wow, talk about being schooled! If you want to see how the game can be played try a game on-line against him.

Macca, how was the lag on your side? I found a few laggy points but it really didn't have any impact on the goals that were scored against me - not sure how it looked on the other side. Looks like we were getting some pretty high ping rates periodically.

Guess next time I'll be a little more careful who I select from La Liga :lol:

That talking to my player got in the second game was hilarious. I was trying to tackle and the player switched and I ended up hacking down the player well before the ball was anywhere near him. I thought I was gonna get a straight red but I didn't even get a yellow! :)

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

You're too kind doug, that second game was pretty darn close (I think our shots and possession totals were equal). Those two matches were the least laggy ones I've played and I still was having lag - that phantom talking to by the ref was hilarious, as was the offside call where the ref blew his whistle and then suddenly the ball appeared at the other end of the field!

I liked Pazzini's diving header, though! Forlan's chip was mighty nice too (if I do say so myself). :D

What really ticks me off is that last year's game on the 360 was much less laggy online. Sure, there were moments it chugged but throughout the DSP league seasons and Blub's World Cup competition I had games that were mostly lag free. In this game every match has a crapload of lag - sometimes it's harmless other times you'll be the last defender going in for a tackle, the game will pause and next thing your opponent has a breakaway and your defender is nowhere to be found.

Konami should be ashamed of themselves - EA Sports can get 10 people in a game playing simultaneously with no slow-down and yet these idiots can't even get 1vs1 right.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

dougb wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:
Gamecocks625 wrote: the framerate is absolutely solid (sorry 360/PS3!),

Nothing wrong with the framerate on my 360 game. Smooth as silk.
Not on the cut scenes and replay's though surely. Worst stuttering is when the teams enter the pitch in the pre-match, replays have relatively minor frame rate issues (off-line at least). Gameplay is smooth as silk though.

Best wishes,

Doug
Correct but i couldnt give 2 shites about replays or entrances having slow down has absolutely no bearing on the actual game.
I mean even the slow down just looks like a slow motion replay no big deal.

I was mainly just pointing it out to Wii boy thats all.
I think Pes2008 is getting a bad rap, im loving it like WE9 but i still play on regular that may be why, seems the better players are the ones complaining.
This plays more like football to me than the last couple did .

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

As for the online performance - Has Konami released any statements in regards to the crappy online game play or is this one of those "sell it and forget about the end user" situations.

I popped in WE9 for a match last night. That was a sweet experience!AND I could play the Bundesliga!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Macca00 wrote:You're too kind doug, that second game was pretty darn close (I think our shots and possession totals were equal). Those two matches were the least laggy ones I've played and I still was having lag - that phantom talking to by the ref was hilarious, as was the offside call where the ref blew his whistle and then suddenly the ball appeared at the other end of the field!

I liked Pazzini's diving header, though! Forlan's chip was mighty nice too (if I do say so myself). :D

What really ticks me off is that last year's game on the 360 was much less laggy online. Sure, there were moments it chugged but throughout the DSP league seasons and Blub's World Cup competition I had games that were mostly lag free. In this game every match has a crapload of lag - sometimes it's harmless other times you'll be the last defender going in for a tackle, the game will pause and next thing your opponent has a breakaway and your defender is nowhere to be found.

Konami should be ashamed of themselves - EA Sports can get 10 people in a game playing simultaneously with no slow-down and yet these idiots can't even get 1vs1 right.
I've read on some of the forums that the lag would be a little less playing someone located in the same country - don't ask me why. For whatever reason, there may be a lot more information being transferred through the servers and the code simply isn't up to the task. Agree that Konami are absolute idiots for not addressing - they've had a considerable period of time since the initial European release to fix it. Of course their team is probably so small that they simply cannot support all of the versions being released. If they ever bother to fix the on-line though the freedom of the gameplay is just amazing - I also think the defensive AI is not quite as poor as the Euro version but maybe that's just my imagination.

Forlan was an absolute monster in the first game! What was really impressive was your awareness around the penalty area where you were playing the ball off to the open attacker in close. Head and shoulders your play was far superior to anyone I've played on-line so far.

Pazzini is impressive - not sure who it was who tried to hit that ridiculous volley in front of your net and managed to send it into row zz though. :lol:

Best wishes,

Doug

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

For those of you who think the pace in PES 2008 is too fast - Try changing the camera angle from wide to Broadcast 1. It may be my imagination but the game seems more manageable to me and not quite so fast.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

And then I play two games today with just abysmal lag - pretty difficult to defend when you strip the ball away and then find out that in fact you haven't got the ball and the opposing strikers heading in towards the net.

They need to get someone who knows how to program decent net code because it really ruins the bloody game.

Best wishes,

Doug

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I have no interest in this game for the 360 or PS3 and I thought the Wii version looked pretty stupid. That is, until I read impressions of it here and I picked it up yesterday.

My initial thoughts going in couldn't have been further off base. There is so much to wrap your head around in this game it's not even funny. Until you've tried this game you have no idea how much control over everything you really have with the Wii controls. This is a case of a developer putting a lot of thought into how to put the Wii remote to good use rather than the obvious motion controls for games like baseball, golf, and bowling. What Konami has done here is genius and it makes for the most interesting and entertaining single player soccer experience you can have right now. It's like a blend between a PC real time strategy game and PES. IMO this is the Wii system seller for the sports gaming enthusiast. Where FIFA is providing unheralded multiplayer soccer action Konami is providing unheralded single player soccer action on the Wii. And to think I almost totally dismissed this because I thought the controls looked stupid. This is the best tasting crow I've ever had. :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Post your Wii friends code Scoop. I'll add you to my list. You are right the game is genius.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Ok.. it's taken me two weeks and a ton of frustration. However, i've come to the conclusion that PES 2008 on the 360 is a very, very enjoyable game. It offers incredible offline game play and provides countless "Oh My" moments in every game. Little things that you just don't see in Fifa such as the early cross with the slick little "flip on" header.

Looking back.. all the frustration was worth it.. I simply love playing this game.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FifaI, how would you compare PES2008 Wii vs 360?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Rodster wrote:Post your Wii friends code Scoop. I'll add you to my list. You are right the game is genius.
Is there a different code just for the game? I admitedly don't know how the Wii online stuff works. I know I posted my Wii code in the sticky thread. Is that the one you need or is there another code specifically for the game too?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Rodster wrote:Post your Wii friends code Scoop. I'll add you to my list. You are right the game is genius.
Is there a different code just for the game? I admitedly don't know how the Wii online stuff works. I know I posted my Wii code in the sticky thread. Is that the one you need or is there another code specifically for the game too?
Yeah Scoop there is. What you have to do is go into the WFC portion of the game and look for the selection that says to post you code or something like that.

When you click on that it generates a PES 2008 code (12 digits xxxx-xxxx-xxxx). That's the one you'll need to give out. I'll put it into my friends code and you'll do the same on your end.

Keep in mind that if I put in your code and you never enter mine we'll never get to play. Kinda of screwy if you ask me. I played FifaInspected and we had a few really good matches albeit with some lag every now and then. :evil:

I'll post my PES 2008 code later on Scoop.

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

I'll have to post my PES2008 Wii code as well.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Rodster wrote:FifaI, how would you compare PES2008 Wii vs 360?
I don't think you can. it's two TOTALLY different experiences. The mulit-tasking of the Wii version combined with the insane amount of control over just about every aspect of what happens on the pitch puts the wii version in it's own category.. the experience is THAT different.

I just wish either version played smooth online. I played a co-op game with JimmyDecide last week and that was a ton of fun..when it was smooth.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Has anyone tried the face mapping technology on the 360? I've read it's pretty good.

I've also sent an email to Konami in regards to the poor online performance.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Am I crazy, or can the CPU not shoot the ball higher than about 3 feet off the ground (PS3 version)? Does this happen on the Wii as well?

I haven't played a tonne of games I'll admit, but in the 5-6 games I have played, I haven't seen anything higher than the keeper's waist. On the other end, I can raise the ball if I let the meter go higher - but it definitely takes more effort than last year. Could the CPU offense still be playing with last year's meter sensitivity in mind? Seems like a programming flaw.

Anyways, I shouldn't be so bothered by it, and sorry if I've skewed anyone to start noticing it from now on. The game plays pretty well overall besides the stuttering on wide cam and super speedy CPU defenders (both big issues I'm willing to work with).

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote: There is so much to wrap your head around in this game it's not even funny. Until you've tried this game you have no idea how much control over everything you really have with the Wii controls. This is a case of a developer putting a lot of thought into how to put the Wii remote to good use rather than the obvious motion controls for games like baseball, golf, and bowling. What Konami has done here is genius and it makes for the most interesting and entertaining single player soccer experience you can have right now. It's like a blend between a PC real time strategy game and PES. IMO this is the Wii system seller for the sports gaming enthusiast. Where FIFA is providing unheralded multiplayer soccer action Konami is providing unheralded single player soccer action on the Wii. And to think I almost totally dismissed this because I thought the controls looked stupid. This is the best tasting crow I've ever had. :wink:
I'm going to go out and grab the Wii version today. The love and excitement for this that I've read here and elsewhere is pretty amazing. I'm pretty psyched about giving it a shot.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Hi All,

I contacted Konami support via email in regards to the online lag issues. Their response is below.

Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting Konami Support.

Regarding the problems experienced with the Online mode of PES 2008.

We wish to sincerely apologize for all of these inconveniences and explain that the main reason is due to issues with the servers as the popularity of the game has been overwhelming.

We are presently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible and we can assure you that we are giving it our maximum priority.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Should you desire to email them yourself their address is:
support@konami.com
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected