PES 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I did grab the Wii version yesterday, but didn't get a chance to play. I looked through the manual, though, and it's, uh, a bit imposing!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Fifa, translation from Konami: ' We'll get it fix for 09.'

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

10spro wrote:Fifa, translation from Konami: ' We'll get it fix for 09.'
And at the rate EA Sports' FIFA/UEFA is improving PES/WE will be obsolete. But who am I kidding, I'll still end up buying multiple copies :)

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Any further Wii impressions/updates?

I'm having a hard time finding a rental copy of this one.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

fanatic wrote:Any further Wii impressions/updates?

I'm having a hard time finding a rental copy of this one.
Played a few games so far. I started on first easiest and have bumped it up one. Also picked an easy opponent to practice against. Already I know it's my favorite Konami soccer game. All the others (be it on PS2, N64, PSP, Xbox) I have in my library seem terribly difficult to score because of the controller dynamics. The Wii controller interface is fantastic, and it's allowed me to dribble and pass where I want and score.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm curious on Web's thoughts of the Wii version. I'm still very impressed with what you can do with it. Did you check it out yet Web?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote:I'm curious on Web's thoughts of the Wii version. I'm still very impressed with what you can do with it. Did you check it out yet Web?
The game is fascinating. Kudos to Konami for attempting something like this, and having it work out as well as it did on the first try.

I actually got a bad first impression from the tutorials, as I hate having to WATCH the game show you how to 'press a button' or 'move the analog stick,' and then when I actually got to try the moves the player movement seemed very unnatural. But then I played a few matches, and the game shines!

You really need to think and control the team almost as a single organism. Marking men, changing coverages, moving to free space, it really works in the chess aspect of soccer very well. While individual player motions might feel stiff and stilted, the way you get a feel for moving the team AS a team is wonderful.

I'm a little worried about guys standing around doing nothing, even ignoring the ball at times. I've seen this enough to be uncomfortable, but then again, I've only played the equivalent of 2 and 3 'star' matches so far, so perhaps some of that will go away at the high end of difficulty.

I also have a mild concern that the game might become too easy once you 'figure out the system.' This may be totally unfounded, though.

Finally, this game is hard on the hands and wrists. Don't get me wromg, once you get used to the game's controls (which will take a while) the controls are GREAT, but sustained play with them had my wrists aching after only 3 ten minute games. This is more a problem with the Wii than this game, though. I continue to question how well the controller set-up works for more serious, 'hardcore' games. The constant shake of the controller in Zelda annoyed me enough to quit the game, and you do a lot of the same sorts of movements in this one. I'm sure a lot of you won't have a problem with this, though.

All told, I really, really like the game right now, but I also still feel like I'm in the 'early impressions' stage.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PES 2008 for the Wii is the best and most fun Football game I have ever played. I do agree with Web and others that the game is rather on the easy side. Maybe they intended it to be this way so as to allow gamers to come to grips with the new controls.

I'm now playing on 3 stars and I played a close match Everton (Me) vs Arsenal and I lost 0-2 at their stadium. Both goals were scored late.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'll be on tonight if any of you guys want to play on the Wii. :)

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I reviewed the 360 version, don't worry, it's a short review;

http://st39.startlogic.com/~maccasga/re ... Review.htm

This game is just far too easy in single player once you realize you can hit every team on the break because their sidebacks just charge up the field like Roberto Carlos and take ages to get back.

I scored 103 goals in 38 league games on the highest difficulty setting. I used Liverpool - not exactly Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Real, Inter or AC Milan - once you start to notice the gaps it just gets too easy. There's also some shoddy defending on corners if you hit them short.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I saw a first in any PES/WE game. The CPU's Keeper got sent off for roughing up my player in the penalty area. I scored to tie the game 1-1 and that's how it ended.

Oh and this is the Wii version. I'll also add that the snow effect looks pretty cool as well.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Rodster wrote:I saw a first in any PES/WE game. The CPU's Keeper got sent off for roughing up my player in the penalty area. I scored to tie the game 1-1 and that's how it ended.

Oh and this is the Wii version. I'll also add that the snow effect looks pretty cool as well.
Roughing him up? What u mean by that?

I had the CPU goalie ejected in WE 8 or 9 on a chip pass into the area and just took down my player.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Goalie went in to try and knock the ball free from my forward by going in feet first. He mssed the ball and took my guy down in the penalty area. :lol:

I've never seen that happen in a football game before and i've been playing them since '96. It was sweet.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Is anyone seeing cards with the Wii version? I've played about a dozen games and have yet to see one, either for me or for the CPU.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have but not too many.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Macca00 wrote:I reviewed the 360 version, don't worry, it's a short review;

http://st39.startlogic.com/~maccasga/re ... Review.htm

This game is just far too easy in single player once you realize you can hit every team on the break because their sidebacks just charge up the field like Roberto Carlos and take ages to get back.

I scored 103 goals in 38 league games on the highest difficulty setting. I used Liverpool - not exactly Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Real, Inter or AC Milan - once you start to notice the gaps it just gets too easy. There's also some shoddy defending on corners if you hit them short.
If you want a challege try playing with the ML default squad on Top Player level. I am getting my ass handed to me like never before in my ML campaign.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Maccas played the WE series since it began on the PS1 - he's pretty much the grandfather of the Winning Eleven community here. He's an expert player who'll provide more than a challenge if you can get a game with him on-line with little lag.

I agree that the game is much much more challenging with the default stiffs but I also agree with Macca that the game is too wide open and high scoring. Once you get a couple of quality forwards and midfielders in even you default ML squad the wins start coming pretty quickly. And its pretty much by exploiting the holes down the wing left by the opposing side backs that you really start to chalk up long winning streaks. Defending AI in Winning Eleven is somewhat out to lunch this year - it may have something to do with the adaptive AI system which appears either non-existent or broken.

It's still alot of fun gameplay wise, its just that we've come to expect alot from the gameplay portion of the series - because of the history of the series and also in compensation for the lack of licenses.

Best wishes,

Doug

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've really enjoyed the PC version of PES2008 especially the graphics. Although I must confess my favorite in the series is WE7 (PS2) which I still have. The AI in that version was tough as nails.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Should I pick this one up on the Wii?

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

MizzouRah wrote:Should I pick this one up on the Wii?
Definitely.

While the game may not be perfect (defensive controls are a bit loose), it's unique controls make it really refereshing - especially considering how us sports gamers have gotten used to playing a lot of the same games, only slightly changed, year in and year out.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

fanatic wrote:
Definitely.

While the game may not be perfect (defensive controls are a bit loose), it's unique controls make it really refereshing - especially considering how us sports gamers have gotten used to playing a lot of the same games, only slightly changed, year in and year out.
Thanks, I think I'll pick it up this weekend.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

fanatic wrote:
Definitely.

I agree, the defense is a little loose and I still haven't seen too many fouls but outside of that it is unbelievable some of the scoring opportunities you can create with the Wii controls.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

ScoopBrady wrote:
fanatic wrote:
Definitely.

I agree, the defense is a little loose and I still haven't seen too many fouls but outside of that it is unbelievable some of the scoring opportunities you can create with the Wii controls.
Funny as it seems, I'm finding dribbling one of the hardest aspects of the game. With the thumbstick it's obviously quite easy, but I feel like I should be learning the drag dribble and simple dribble by using the A button. This allows you to do give and go's and to sprint (both not possible when using the thumbstick).

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Had a Best Buy giftcard, picked it up today. :)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

This game is going to take up a lot of my time.