PES 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Feanor wrote:
JRod wrote:
Feanor wrote:The delay in this being released in America is disgraceful. I'm waiting for the PC release of PES 2009 this October to get back into the series properly.

I did actually play a couple of games of WE:PES 2007 on the PS2 last night for a video I'm making.
Well it's been this way since WE7, so it's more disgraceful that people aren't expectant of it.
Your comment is ridiculous.

Of course I was expecting it, and the game was actually delayed an extra month this year. Just because it's not a surprise, doesn't mean it isn't a disgrace. Especially when Konami make little to no improvements in the four and half months they wait to release the game in America.

There's no excuse for the way Konami give American gamers the shaft. European gamers complain when a game like Final Fantasy 12 takes five extra months to get released over there, but at least in that case there's a million words of dialogue to be translated.
You know it could be they delay it because they know it will help their 1st quarter sales not because they couldn't port it over earlier. This has been my long held suspicion.

For as incompetent we think Konami is, it's still a business and this probably has to do more with strategy over sales.

The more I regard gaming as a business the less disappointed, I am when EA takes over TT2, or Konami sells WE in March.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

tjung0831 wrote:It's pretty much the same game as it's always been but the control with the ball is what I like the best about this game
Yeah, I'm really happy with the way the game controls. It's very responsive to user input and thank God they fixed the shooting control this year and got rid of the punts. So far, this is exactly the single player soccer gaming experience I was looking for when I decided to take a chance on it. Not that the soccer gurus won't find plenty of flaws that I don't see, but to me it's a very fun game and it's hard to believe the demo (at least the European demo...I never downloaded the US one) and the full version are even the same game.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

The release timing goes back to when Konami was making MLS Extratime I think...they released in around February I think to be before the MLS season, IIRC. No idea why they don't go w/a fall release along with Europe...but this is Konami. There's been minimal PR for the game, except for a commercial I've seen on Fox Soccer Channel with poor video, teams like WE United playing, and a sweepstakes with some smoothie company I've never heard of.

And for those with the game (360): Is the full game really slower than the demo?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jared wrote:And for those with the game (360): Is the full game really slower than the demo?
The PS3 version sure is slower...so it's a safe bet.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I can't figure this game out. One minute I don't like it at all and now i'm really enjoying it. I'm thinking this game is going to be more fun offline than Fifa.. if nothing else it will be a nice change of pace. Options are a good thing and I see reasons to play both this and Fifa although I feel Fifa is the better overall package. I took some time last night and changed the team names, started a league and then edited my uniform. I always enjoyed the editing portion of the xbox version of WE.

How does the game play on Live? are there any issues with the performance of the game such as Lag? Has anyone tried playing 2 humans vs the CPU? I'd like to give that a try.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

This my post at OS, copied/pasted:

I received the 360 and PS2 versions via mail yesterday and played two games with each version. My quick impressions:

The 360 version is definitely better than last year's. Better gameplay and beter graphics. I actually think it looks pretty sweet--that goes fro the players, the fields, the stadiums, and the crowds...all look really nice.

While the gameplay is better, IMO it still does not have that great "organic" feel that the the old WE's always had. It has it somewhat, but it's not there all the way. It does "feel" better than FIFA. If that's confusing, sorry--the bottom line is that I like it, but I just feel that series has regressed gameplay wise, which is disappointing.

Also, the 360 version is missing some options that the PS2 has. There is no World Tour Mode. No snow option for weather. No PE Shop to buy all the extra players. I could be wrong on that last one, but I searched and couldn't find anything. There is a way to "win" the classic national teams, but none of the other things that you can buy in the PS2 version.

The main problem with that, if true, is that you can't buy all the extra players. In the PS2 version there are over 100 extra players you can buy for 150 points each. Most importantly, it includes dozens of current Bundesliga players.

Regarding the PS2 version, as noted, it comes fully loaded with all the options that 360 version does not have. There are more stadiums (360 has 15) more weather options, more game modes, more everything. And it looks pretty damm good for a PS2 game.

Here's the rub, it plays EXACTLY like last year's version. I do not believe they changed the gameplay one bit. That's a probelm for me because I played the hell out of PE 2007 on the PS2 (because I thought the 360 version was terrible) and need a new challenge--it seems boring to be playing the same game from last year. That being said, it's still good gameplay, and more "WE/PE-like" than the next-gen versions.

So is that confusing enough for you? The next-gen has less options, but looks better. The next-gen's gameplay is improved, but still has regressed when comparing to WE/PE gameplay in general. The PS2 version has the old-style gameplay, but hasn't changed an iota--it's stale.

Botton-line: Konami is screwy, but I still love their footie games. For me, I will be playing the 360 version over the PS2 version.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

With the 360 version can you play guys in Europe over live this time ?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Jim,

What is world tour mode?

Has the Master League changed? (360 version and PS2)
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Macca00 wrote:FIFA 08 and the most recent (PS2) J-League game are more enjoyable.
Could you briefly elaborate on why the new J-League game is more enjoyable? On the field gameplay improvements? Or better/more modes?

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Picked it up, here are a few thoughts.

F*ck Konami, couldn't even bother to lift a little finger and put the kit selection into the Masterleague, Cup, and League modes. Lazy f*cking bastards!

Played an on-line game - I think I was playing someone in England. They certainly haven't solved the on-line lag problem. That is absolutely inexcusable in the Live environment. There were points in the match where there wasn't any lag but bottom line is there should be no lag.

Cut scenes at beginning of game are pathetically jittery in the frame rate department. Not nearly a jittery in replays, but again framerate problems are inexcusable.

In summary, I don't see any evidence that there has been work on the game since the patches on the European version. Haven't played enough to see if the AI has been improved at all but my guess would be probably not given the lack of improvement in other areas. If you really like off-line play and don't have the ability to run the PC version then you might want to pick up this game. But if you're primarly into on-line play (like Zeppo) - don't bother.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Are the rosters up to date till September 1st, 2007?

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Feanor wrote:Are the rosters up to date till September 1st, 2007?
From 1st glance they look okay - course it's kind of hard to remember which team you're looking at with all the fake team names representing the premiership.

I experienced absolutely terrible lag in my last game. I gave up the winning goal on a play where the ball literally ghosted its way down the field. On-line play is pretty terrible in its current state.

Honestly, Konami couldn't have mailed this one any more if they'd tried to.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dougb wrote:
Feanor wrote:Are the rosters up to date till September 1st, 2007?
From 1st glance they look okay - course it's kind of hard to remember which team you're looking at with all the fake team names representing the premiership.

I experienced absolutely terrible lag in my last game. I gave up the winning goal on a play where the ball literally ghosted its way down the field. On-line play is pretty terrible in its current state.

Honestly, Konami couldn't have mailed this one any more if they'd tried to.

Best wishes,

Doug
I have an unopened copy sitting and waiting...You may have saved me $50...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Open it. It's still better than Fifa when it comes to the single player game. If you dig the 5 on 5 like Zeppo, then you'll probably be disappointed.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I'm really enjoying the game. I haven't really sat down and done a lot of gaming lately but this one is making me want to do that. I also read some posts on another site where someone said there were no adverse weather conditions, well I played a night game in the rain last night at San Siro stadium so it's definitely there. I like everything about the game so far and i'm really starting to like the graphics and stadiums.
People were asking whether the game still plays fast and I think it all depends on the teams you take. If you're playing a Brazil vs England game...the speed seems much faster than when playing a game between lower ranked club teams.
Anyway all is good with the game, looking forward to getting some more playing time this weekend.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

How does this game compare to the demo that was release on XBL a while ago?

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

JRod wrote:Jim,

What is world tour mode?

Has the Master League changed? (360 version and PS2)
World Tour Mode: you take control of a team and travelel around the world playing various int'l teams with specific tasks in each game to be accomplised (win the game by more then two goals, win game and score a goal with a midfielder, etc.). I am not sure what the ultimate goal/prize is, just played arounf with it for a few minutes last night.

The PS2 ML appears to be the same.

The 360 ML has a new structure to it. Four top-divisions, and one lower-division, as always, but each division has 20 teams (up from 16), including the lower-division (up from eight).

Also there is something about players and their fan approval rating, but I am not deep enough into it at this point. And there is about a two minute intro with commentary when you start the ML that's entertaining.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Open it. It's still better than Fifa when it comes to the single player game. If you dig the 5 on 5 like Zeppo, then you'll probably be disappointed.
Seond that opinion. I played the heck out of FIFA this winter and enjoyed it, but this WE/PE is better--at least as an offline game.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Yep as much as I liked FIFA this year, PES 2008 is just a much better game to me...much more fun as well.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

So kit/player/transfer editing is back for 360 ? Thats makes it a bit better just need to find out if i can play my bro in England before i pull the trigger on this one.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

tjung0831 wrote:I haven't really sat down and done a lot of gaming lately but this one is making me want to do that.
In the past few months I've played some of my favorite games of *all-time*...Rock Band, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, The Show, and Unchart(er)ed. I'm not going to put PES 2008 in a class like that because they could do so so much better, but it's the only game in years that has kept me up past 1AM on work days for two straight nights. I really like it as a single player game and I still favor it over FIFA 08 offline (a game I really liked too). The game kicks the crap out of last year's pathetic effort and the demo.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

fellas,

Any feedback on playing online? I've only played one match and it was an absolute laggy mess. I've heard others saying similar things. Has anyone played a clean, lag free match?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

FifaInspected wrote:fellas,

Any feedback on playing online? I've only played one match and it was an absolute laggy mess. I've heard others saying similar things. Has anyone played a clean, lag free match?
I haven't and I've yet to see a report on any of the other boards indicating a lag free on-line game. Given that Konami haven't fixed up the European version I'm guessing that on-line is pretty much broken. If you head over to the evo-web forums you'll find the PES sections a virtual ghost town. And that's saying something as Evo-Web has pretty much been a PES/WE site.

Glad to see that people are at least having fun with the off-line game though. I've played quite a bit of the PC version that I got when it came out in Europe. The gameplay and offensive AI are top notch (defensively it breaks down) and the pace, while quick, isn't too bad.

Best wishes,

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Played two more on-line games. There was intermittent lag in both games.

Doug

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Played some more games offline and it looks like some of the defensive AI problems may have been addressed. I'm not seeing as many problems with the sidebacks leaving their man unmarked to come up towards the player with the ball as I do in my euro pes (pc) version. Definitely appears a bit more difficult to break down the defenses down the wing than in the European version. I'll have to play some more games to confirm this though.

Best wishes,

Doug