OT: Cancer sucks

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

So sorry to hear this news, Matt. My thoughts are with you and yours.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

So sorry to hear this man. My Dad is going through radiation for prostate cancer right now, his prognosis is good since they caught it early, but it still freaks me out. Pales in comparison to what you are going through though. My thoughts are with you.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Matt, I'm so sorry. My thoughts go out to your mom, you, and your family.

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

The day we're rid of cancer will be a celebrated day indeed.

Matt, I'm sending all my prayers and positive thoughts to your mom and family.

John

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

Matt, I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with you and your family.
but really, this is 2004, and nearly everything is considered to be gay now

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Thoughts are with you and your family. :(
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support. DSP has been a good way to escape the reality of what's going on right now, and it's good to know that there is a community like this (even if it is a virtual one) that I can visit for both support and escape.

She's been in a hospice for the past 1 1/2 weeks now. She's still hanging in there, but the doctors are now giving her a window in days, not weeks.
-Matt

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

matthewk wrote:Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support. DSP has been a good way to escape the reality of what's going on right now, and it's good to know that there is a community like this (even if it is a virtual one) that I can visit for both support and escape.

She's been in a hospice for the past 1 1/2 weeks now. She's still hanging in there, but the doctors are now giving her a window in days, not weeks.
Very sad. :(

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

matthewk wrote:Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support. DSP has been a good way to escape the reality of what's going on right now, and it's good to know that there is a community like this (even if it is a virtual one) that I can visit for both support and escape.

Sorry to hear that Matt. Take each extra day as a gift and use the time wisely. Tell her everything she needs to hear and make sure she knows you all will be OK when she's gone. It's now in God's hands......Hopefully she will go out peacefully. Use this as a time to get closer to your other family members and make your Mom proud.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

It is very tough - my wife just lost her father in January after a battle with lung cancer. When she first heard about it, the doctors were talking in terms of months, but it quickly got much worse. Fortunately, she had a chance to visit him and spend some quality time.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

The hospice she is at is very nice. It's also real depressing. Since she's been there (10 days) I have seen 5 patients in her wing (of 6 rooms) pass away. It's like a purgatory between the hospital and the funeral home. It really gives you a new sense of what life is when you see so many people living out their last days with their freinds and family.

Props go to those who work in these types of places. They really do care about making the patients last days here on earth as peaceful as possible. I've already donated a ton of magazines I get from my work to the library there. I plan on doing that even after after she's gone.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hang in there, Matt. I'm praying for you, your Mom and your family. I can't imagine what you're going through.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Sorry to hear this Matt. Sounds like you've got your head on straight and are dealing with it the best that can be expected. Hang in there and stay strong for your mom.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Matt,

Sorry to hear this, i've been through this before so I know what you're going through. Hang in there though...i know it's not an easy time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Matt, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your Mom and your family. Cancer really does suck! It is almost exactly two years since my Dad died of cancer and when I see posts like this it just brings back all sorts of memories. We had 2 1/2 year old twins at the time and the only other grandchild was 5. We all made the decision that what was best for Dad and for them was to allow them to have as much time together and understand as best as possible what was happening. It was hard to find the right balance, but I think we did the best we could. Every situation is different. I know I am amazed to this day how much they seem to remember about him and the situation and I think they are better for it.

Like everyone said, enjoy each day as much as possible and take advantage of the time. Many people don't get that opportunity. It really sucked to see my Dad in hospice care for 4 1/2 months, but there were many, many people who he was able to see and hear how they felt about him and vice versa. It also allowed for some further bonding within our family that might not otherwise have happened for years.

People giving hospice care are quite amazing. We had for the most part a very good experience and I had the completely wrong idea of what hospice was about.

I know from experience that nothing I or anyone else can say makes it any better, but I just tried to appreciate the fact that people cared and offered their support. I will always remember how supportive DSP folks were. Peace and Love to your Mom and family.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Cancer really sucks now, or like someone else stated: F*** cancer.

My mom passed away Thursday night. At least now she's not in any more pain. We know she's up in heaven now, and is some consolation.
-Matt

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Matt....I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could, I would set you up with the top pick in the draft as a majorly small consolation.

Please accept my deepest condolensces.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My sincerest condolences. Very sorry to hear this Matt.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Sorry to hear, Matt, but you are right in that the end of suffering is a good thing. My condolences to you and your family.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Matt:

Sincerest condolences, man. My prayers are with you and your family.

I'm glad you're taking solace -- as hard as it is right now -- in knowing that your mother is feeling the warmth of eternal peace in heaven. She'll always be with you, and may perpetual light shine upon her soul.

Hang in there, dude.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

:cry:

Very sorry to hear the news Matt, your mom will be in my prayers, take care of yourself.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

My condolences Matt.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Sorry for your loss.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Matt, I offer you my sympathy and condolences to you and your family.

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Matt,

Very sorry to read the bad news. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

John