OT: Weird Thing Happened On Way To Work Today

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Weird Thing Happened On Way To Work Today

Post by JackB1 »

OK, so I'm on the highway on my way to work. I am in the fast lane doing about 75 mph and I see a cop in the left shoulder with a radar gun. I slow down a little and after I pass him, I see him get in his car like he might be going after me. I maintained my same speed and get off at the upcoming exit where I normally get off. I then see the cop still up on the highway, stopped in the shoulder directly over the road I just exited at. Apparently, he missed the exit and was looking for me. I just continued driving and arrived at work a few minuted later.

So here's the question? Did I do anything wrong? I wasn't trying to run from the cop, as he was never visually behind me with his lights on. I didn't even know he was going after me, since I was barely speeding compared to the rest of the cars on the highway. It is possible I was going 80 mph before I slowed down when I saw him. Anyway, I was all nervous when I got to work, like I was a criminal or something. Is it possible he got my liscence plate # somehow and will either mail me a ticket or show up at my house with a summons? The plate is on the back of the car, so I don't know if he was ever close enough to read it.

What is the right thing to do here? Am I being paranoid and should I just consider myself lucky that I "got away". I am hoping that the cop just went back to his spot and tried to nail the next guy. Is it possible he will look for me on the same route tomorrow?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I think you should chalk it up to being lucky you didn't get caught. There have been a couple times that I experienced the same thing. Most likely, I was being paranoid and he wasn't even targeting me.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of him looking for you on Monday. I think he'd have to have proof on his radar gun of your speed anyways.

Go buy a lottery ticket at lunch. :wink:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I think you are free to calculate the presumptive cost of the ticket and immediately spend it on impulse video game purchases.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Slumberland wrote:I think you are free to calculate the presumptive cost of the ticket and immediately spend it on impulse video game purchases.
:)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Weird Thing Happened On Way To Work Today

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JackB1 wrote:Is it possible he will look for me on the same route tomorrow?
We can only hope...

Can you guys imagine Jack in prison...that would be a riot. Literally. You mean you need to ask your wife if you can jerk in prison....LOLOLOL.

But no...no lights, then you didn't do anything wrong.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Unless he instructed you to pull over, you're fine.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Cops don't "miss exits" first off and if he did he tosses on the lights and backs up. Second if he lost sight of you on the highway he probably would not have stopped where you saw him, rather continuing on further down the road looking for you. He was probably changing position is all. I think you're good.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

RallyMonkey wrote:Cops don't "miss exits" first off and if he did he tosses on the lights and backs up. Second if he lost sight of you on the highway he probably would not have stopped where you saw him, rather continuing on further down the road looking for you. He was probably changing position is all. I think you're good.
I don't think so. He did have his lights on and he was definitely looking for me. I was the only one in the fast lane when I past him and he quickly got in his car and tried to follow me. I assumed he was trying to see what direction I was heading. If he backtracked and got off at the exit, he would have lost a lot of time and not had an idea of what direction I headed. The ramp was at least 1/2 mile back and he probably realized I got off after he didn't see me down the highway. Either way, I guess I was lucky.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jack:

I hope you have hired the best defense attorney in Atlanta. You're going to do some hard time in state. Make sure you get soap on a rope.

Dude, don't worry about it.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think you're ok. I think he'll probably be looking for you on Monday though. Maybe try another route next week to work.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

JackB1 wrote:Either way, I guess I was lucky.
So just take this as a sign that you should slow down before you kill yourself or others.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Slumberland wrote:I think you are free to calculate the presumptive cost of the ticket and immediately spend it on impulse video game purchases.
No, use the money to purchase carbon credits to offset your increased fuel consumption by driving at an inefficient speed.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I had a similar thing happen once on the way home, when I saw the lights, I immediately turned on to a dirt road and waited until I saw him pass. :)

You have nothing to worry about, just do the speed limit for the next few days.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

reminds me of a bad incident I had with the Ohio state patrol. Thinking/knowing the cops are after you is a really bad feeling.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

fletcher21 wrote:reminds me of a bad incident I had with the Ohio state patrol. Thinking/knowing the cops are after you is a really bad feeling.
Ohio State Patrol like to get after out of state plates.

I was working there for just three months but took the same way home (like a 10 minute) drive on I think I-80 (Highway from Cleveland to Pennsylvania). Mentor into Willoughby, OH.

So they were on this highway after 9-10 (which I finally got done from work), and a cop would stalk me to see if I did anything. My exit was always so close that I really couldn't do much wrong.

On the 2nd to last night I was there, there was a lot of traffic and I had to make a quick lane shift to get over. Sure enough one of the trailing cops pulled me over.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

if he wanted to get you...he woulda got you.

clean the sand outta yer vag and carry on
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

Jack,

Just ask yourself, "What would Ned Flanders do?" and you'll know what the right thing is :lol:

But don't try running for public office now that you have this giant skeleton in your closet. Your enemies would be bound to dig this out from the dirt.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Jack, if you were on 400, 75, or 85, there is no way a cop is pulling you over for 75-80. That is the normal speed on those roads. I did not see 11Alive coptors out with a breaking news story so you are all good! :)

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I accidentally ran a clean red light the other day...didn't realise it until I was halfway through the intersection...slammed on my brakes, and skidded the rest of the way through the intersection on the wet pavement. Luckily nobody else was going the other way, but a cop was waiting at the same light parked front and center headed the other way. I started back moving
again and drove slowly, expecting the cop to pop a uturn and pull me over. After a few seconds of coasting at 5mph and a glance in the rearview mirror, I realised that the cop had just gone on his merry way. I'm not exactly sure why I was spared from a ticket that day (or worse yet from getting t-boned by a car going the other direction...it was a minor intersection, thankfully) but I'm grateful for both not happening.