The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:I highly recommend the first two seasons of Peaky Blinders on Netflix. A little boardwalk empire like, same time frame but it's set in England. The first couple of episodes move a bit slow as the story unfolds but it picks up in a hurry. Only 6 episodes per season and season 3 just finished shooting and will be on Netflix in the fall. It was getting fantastic reviews from just about everybody so I checked it out and it's right up there with Breaking Bad and Boardwalk empire as my all time favorite drama's. More importantly, Tom Hardy checks in for season 2 and is downright amazing. Really great show and I highly recommend it.
It's an excellent show. I was referred to it a couple weeks ago. I'm almost done with season 1. I've had to watch it with the subtitles on, just so I don't miss anything I'm unable to understand. The environments are spectacular and the acting top notch.
Yep subtitles are a must because some of those accents are really thick. It's a really great show though, sucks we have to wait until the fall for season 3 and then I'll knock that out in 6 hours and then have to wait another year for season 4! :lol:
Wait until you see Tom Hardy's character in season 2....dude is freaking awesome!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Aristo wrote:I'm about halfway through the book. I need to power through it, as it is a hulking beast of a novel. It really is a great story, though. i just don't sit down and read as much as I should.

From what I have read about the series, it will be faithful to the book, but streamlined. In the book, he is living in the 60's for five years before the date. This is an eight-episode event, so Abrams compared it to a speeding train version of the story.

It's funny, since Stephen King "retired," his writing has dramatically improved. He's had some fantastic stories, and 11/22/63 is a great example. At least it sounds like this is not the train wreck Under the Dome turned into.
I read the book last year. I thought it was decent. I'll probably check out the show at some point.

I thought I remember reading that he actually started writing this book back in 60's. Probably something of a passion project for him to go back and finish it.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Diablo25 wrote:11.22.63 started on Hulu today. It's an 8 episode miniseries based on Stephen King's book about a man (James Franco) time traveling back to the early 60's to stop the JFK assassination. It's a JJ Abrams series so I am expected greatness. The first episode was excellent.

Just watched Episode one....very very good stuff. JFK assassination and time travel....there is no possible way that I personally couldn't like this, I knew it was a winner as soon as I watched the trailer! Wish all 8 episodes were up now though but it will be a fun two month ride for sure.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

So damn great to have Better Call Saul back...
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

tjung0831 wrote:

...there is no possible way that I personally couldn't like this
Absolutely.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

RobVarak wrote:So damn great to have Better Call Saul back...
Yep. Just a damn perfect premiere. Just loving the evolution of Jimmy. Plus, Mike's side story should be fun.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Having HUGE Peaky Blinders withdrawal. What an amazing show and soundtrack. Season 3 can't arrive soon enough!!!

How much do you spend on suits? "I don't pay for suits. The suits are on the house, or the house burns down." -Thomas Shelby

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:

...there is no possible way that I personally couldn't like this
Absolutely.
Episode 2 is now streaming.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

:lol:

Squat Cobbler.
Hellmans Mayonnaise west of the Rockies.

Saul Rules. :lol:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am completely sucked into The People vs. OJ. It hits that sweet spot of miniseries cheese and a compelling story (even if I know how it ends). I love the awfulness of Travolta's Robert Shapiro, and there's enough scenes like the ones from inside the Bronco during the chase that I find pretty riveting. And, of course, so much entertaining 90s nostalgia. My wife and I caught the first episode on Saturday night and wound up watching all three during FX's mini-marathon.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Brando70 wrote:I am completely sucked into The People vs. OJ. It hits that sweet spot of miniseries cheese and a compelling story (even if I know how it ends). I love the awfulness of Travolta's Robert Shapiro, and there's enough scenes like the ones from inside the Bronco during the chase that I find pretty riveting. And, of course, so much entertaining 90s nostalgia. My wife and I caught the first episode on Saturday night and wound up watching all three during FX's mini-marathon.
OJ doesn't think the show accurately portrays him. :lol: :lol:

XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Brando70 wrote:I am completely sucked into The People vs. OJ. It hits that sweet spot of miniseries cheese and a compelling story (even if I know how it ends). I love the awfulness of Travolta's Robert Shapiro, and there's enough scenes like the ones from inside the Bronco during the chase that I find pretty riveting. And, of course, so much entertaining 90s nostalgia. My wife and I caught the first episode on Saturday night and wound up watching all three during FX's mini-marathon.
I agree but Travolta is horrible as Shapiro. I think he is an executive producer so he probably gave himself the role. The rest of the cast is doing a good job. Surprisingly David Schwimmer is solid as Kardshian :) I love when he says "juice" :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:Having HUGE Peaky Blinders withdrawal. What an amazing show and soundtrack. Season 3 can't arrive soon enough!!!

How much do you spend on suits? "I don't pay for suits. The suits are on the house, or the house burns down." -Thomas Shelby
Yep...one of the best shows out there right now and yes that soundtrack is awesome. What did you think of Tom Hardy's character? So many amazing characters in that show. It could equal Breaking Bad for me when all is said and done.
Can't wait for the fall for season 3 but maybe we will get lucky and they will put it up during the summer. For now, Better Call Saul and 11.22.63 are my main shows.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Having HUGE Peaky Blinders withdrawal. What an amazing show and soundtrack. Season 3 can't arrive soon enough!!!

Yep...one of the best shows out there right now and yes that soundtrack is awesome. What did you think of Tom Hardy's character? So many amazing characters in that show. It could equal Breaking Bad for me when all is said and done.
Can't wait for the fall for season 3 but maybe we will get lucky and they will put it up during the summer. For now, Better Call Saul and 11.22.63 are my main shows.
Hardy's character was creepy and strange. Not to mention violent! Very well acted, and loved his accent. There are many characters in the show that deserve recognition. Just a really really good cast. The actor who plays Thomas Shelby, Cillian Murphy said he'll continue with the series as long as the writing is as good as it has been the first two seasons. He said that season 3 story line is brilliant. Now, I did read that they'll end the show at the beginning of WWII.

I'll have to catch up on Better Call Saul soon. Right now, I'm enjoying Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime. It doesn't compare to Peaky Blinders, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Fargo, etc., but it's a fun show (Four 40 something year old's head down to Belize to hang out with a friend they haven't seen in a long time, and things go from bad to worse).

I'm going to end up having to pay for season 3 of Rectify on Amazon Prime because Netflix doesn't seem in any hurry to release it! Bastards!! :x

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Really enjoying Judd Apatow's "Love" on Netflix. I could not stand the pilot, and I only stuck it out because some friends had raved about the show. Very glad I did. Beautiful writing and really wonderful performances. Check it out and don't bail after the 1st ep.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Damn it!!! The Saul episodes are too short.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

11.22.63 has been really good on Hulu. I look forward to it every week. 6 of the 8 episodes are down and they have been good. I'm a sucker for anything involving time travel.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

RobVarak wrote:Really enjoying Judd Apatow's "Love" on Netflix. I could not stand the pilot, and I only stuck it out because some friends had raved about the show. Very glad I did. Beautiful writing and really wonderful performances. Check it out and don't bail after the 1st ep.
My wife and I really enjoyed this one as well.

Along similar lines, we also recently enjoyed binge-watching Hulu's "Casual" and, especially, FX's "You're the Worst". Recommend both if you haven't watched them already.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You're the Worst. Second that recommendation for sure. Probably my favorite comedy of the last few years.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You're the Worst. Second that recommendation for sure. Probably my favorite comedy of the last few years.

Agreed. It's brilliant, particularly the supporting cast.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Any of you guys watch Flaked on Netflix? I ripped through that in a couple of days and really enjoyed it. Then watched the entire season again with my wife last weekend.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My current lineup of weekly watches:

"Vinyl" -- a very good HBO show that has blossomed after a sluggish pilot. Bobby Cannavale is a force as 1970s NYC record executive Richie Finestra.

"The Americans" -- the best drama on TV now that "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" are gone. The chemistry between Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell is incredible. No shocker they're an item off-screen, too. I'm jealous as f*ck of Rhys. :)

"Better Call Saul" -- solid, promising, fun. Bob Odenkirk is great as Saul, and Jonathan Banks continues with his understated power as Mike Ermentrout. It's not "Breaking Bad," but it's still a damn good show.

"Billions" -- pure soap, pure fun. This show is cliched and somewhat formulaic, but it's still fun as hell. Paul Giamatti is excellent as a U.S. attorney, and I would watch Damian Lewis ("Band of Brothers," "Homeland") read the phone book. This show reminds me of my beloved 1980s nighttime soaps.

I need to binge-watch the final season of "Downton Abbey" this spring.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

pk500 wrote:My current lineup of weekly watches:

"Vinyl" -- a very good HBO show that has blossomed after a sluggish pilot. Bobby Cannavale is a force as 1970s NYC record executive Richie Finestra.

"The Americans" -- the best drama on TV now that "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" are gone. The chemistry between Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell is incredible. No shocker they're an item off-screen, too. I'm jealous as f*ck of Rhys. :)

"Better Call Saul" -- solid, promising, fun. Bob Odenkirk is great as Saul, and Jonathan Banks continues with his understated power as Mike Ermentrout. It's not "Breaking Bad," but it's still a damn good show.

"Billions" -- pure soap, pure fun. This show is cliched and somewhat formulaic, but it's still fun as hell. Paul Giamatti is excellent as a U.S. attorney, and I would watch Damian Lewis ("Band of Brothers," "Homeland") read the phone book. This show reminds me of my beloved 1980s nighttime soaps.

I need to binge-watch the final season of "Downton Abbey" this spring.
The Americans is my favorite show on TV right now! It's done so well, the throwbacks to the early 80s. It's tense and thrilling. This season promises to be the best yet, but the first three are all so good!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Diablo25 wrote:11.22.63 has been really good on Hulu. I look forward to it every week. 6 of the 8 episodes are down and they have been good. I'm a sucker for anything involving time travel.
Just started watching this the other day, as I impatiently wait for the third season of Peaky Blinders (hurry the heck up!!!). I'm really enjoying it so far, although I'm only a couple episodes in.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just watched the finale of 11.22.63. Superb. Must see if you love historical fiction.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25