The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by Aristo »

The next great TV show is here, and it is on Starz. Fans of Fringe are going to like this a lot.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Finished Godless on Netflix recently which was fantastic.

Watching the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon which is outstanding and hilarious. I have one episode to go.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Binged watched the 10 episode season 1 of Sneaky Pete on amazon prime the last two days, excellent show, 50 minute episodes are over before you know it, looking forward to season twos release in a couple of weeks.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I was living under a rock, but my wife and i started watching breaking bad last night. We loved episode 1. Is rhe entire series this good?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

fletcher21 wrote:I was living under a rock, but my wife and i started watching breaking bad last night. We loved episode 1. Is rhe entire series this good?

Thank you for this post.

I was really sad.

Thank you.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:I was living under a rock, but my wife and i started watching breaking bad last night. We loved episode 1. Is rhe entire series this good?
One of the greatest series in TV history. It only gets better -- WAY better, in fact -- from here.

Enjoy. :D
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:
One of the greatest series in TV history. It only gets better -- WAY better, in fact -- from here.

Enjoy. :D
Ditto. Period.

Binge watch if you can.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Better Call Saul returns tonight.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

vader29 wrote:Better Call Saul returns tonight.
Woot!

In other news, we binged the first season of The sinner on Netflix this weekend, and wow, that was intense. I actually thought I had heard that it was an exorcism show, but it turns out it is just a season long investigation into a weird ass murder committed by Jessica Biel's character. Four episodes in, and I it still felt like it might go full on possession. Bill Pullman is fantastic as the flawed detective that digs to get to the real truth.

I saw that the second season was starting ,so we decided to jump in. The second season is an entirely new case, but does have Pullman's character involved in the investigation into why an 11-year-old boy poisoned his parent. It looks like it is going to get crazy, and has Carrie Coon in a prominent role. It's just one episode in, so far.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Succession on hbo didn’t start with a lot of hype but gained a lot of momentum over the course of its first season, which just ended.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Succession on hbo didn’t start with a lot of hype but gained a lot of momentum over the course of its first season, which just ended.
Very well could be my favorite show in the last 5 or so years...ever since Breaking Bad ended.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Succession on hbo didn’t start with a lot of hype but gained a lot of momentum over the course of its first season, which just ended.
Very well could be my favorite show in the last 5 or so years...ever since Breaking Bad ended.
Better than the brilliant "Billions," the show to which it's most often compared?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Acting is top notch, especially Jeremy Strong.

The characters are filthy rich like Billions but not necessarily cool. In fact the early eps probably alienated people because there is a lot of awful behavior.

Yet nevertheless interesting.

Billions does this showy dialogue. Really polished with hip cultural references.

Succession is like these actors doing stream of consciousness like a jazz musician improvising.

Billions wants you to like these .001 percenters, even if they do shady s***.

Succession just shows shady behavior. It’s possible to see them sympathetically, to see some decency here and there. But you don’t have to like them.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting. Thanks for the comparisons. I've heard and read solid buzz about "Succession." I must check it out.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Will check out Sinner...trailer for season 1 looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not sure why, but I've been watching the Affair on Showtime Anytime. Slow and kind of boring, but still I watch. I guess I was just looking for a replacement show before the renewals came back for another season.

Not sure when Fargo season 4 will debut, but Chris Rock will be in it. Set in 1950 in Kansas City, MO.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

sportdan30 wrote:Will check out Sinner...trailer for season 1 looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not sure why, but I've been watching the Affair on Showtime Anytime. Slow and kind of boring, but still I watch. I guess I was just looking for a replacement show before the renewals came back for another season.

Not sure when Fargo season 4 will debut, but Chris Rock will be in it. Set in 1950 in Kansas City, MO.
Sinner is really good. Season one was really well done and Season Two looks to be just as well done so far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Better than the brilliant "Billions," the show to which it's most often compared?
I've never seen Billions (no Showtime)...so can't compare. I already find it ridiculous that my wife wants to subscribe to HBO. :)

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Currently watching Hell On Wheels on Netflix. Another AMC gem that I blew off probably because it started around the last two seasons of Breaking Bad but it's been fantastic. I've already finished the first 3 seasons
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Finally got around to binging Halt and Catch Fire and am sorry to have waited. Absolutely loved the show and the 4 (5 counting the excellent Toby Huss) principal performers. Only problem with binging it was is gone too soon. Excellent show and recommendation by more than a few of you on here.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GameSeven wrote:Finally got around to binging Halt and Catch Fire and am sorry to have waited. Absolutely loved the show and the 4 (5 counting the excellent Toby Huss) principal performers. Only problem with binging it was is gone too soon. Excellent show and recommendation by more than a few of you on here.
Hell yes. So good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GameSeven wrote:Finally got around to binging Halt and Catch Fire and am sorry to have waited. Absolutely loved the show and the 4 (5 counting the excellent Toby Huss) principal performers. Only problem with binging it was is gone too soon. Excellent show and recommendation by more than a few of you on here.
Fantastic show that was criminally underwatched. Glad AMC had the balls to buck the low ratings and keep the show alive for an extra season or two.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

DivotMaker wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Will check out Sinner...trailer for season 1 looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sinner is really good. Season one was really well done and Season Two looks to be just as well done so far.
What a great recommendation. This show is really good. Love psychological thrillers. I'm on to episode 4 tonight!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Better Call Saul delivered last night. This season seems like it is going to be tense as f***.

I also think we have seen Jimmy officially turn into Saul tonight, at least in persona. The guy cracked.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Aristo wrote:Better Call Saul delivered last night. This season seems like it is going to be tense as f***.

I also think we have seen Jimmy officially turn into Saul tonight, at least in persona. The guy cracked.
From what I have read, this season is going to be darker/grittier than the first three seasons. It always takes me a couple shows to get back in to any series when there's been such a long absence. Enjoyed the first episode nonetheless. I'm used to watching to this show on Netflix, so having to wait a week for the next episode from AMC is a downer!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Debuting today is All or Nothing: Manchester City on Amazon Prime. Doc-u series on the 2017-2018 season. Really looking forward to watching this.