The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by fsquid »

JackB1 wrote:I just saw a commercial for the next season of Fri Nite Lights!
It will be the last season.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Mad Men just keeps getting better. Loved the letter part in the last episode.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Don was puffing away as he composed that letter.

Had forgotten how dependent they were on tobacco.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

A bit of history about Emerson Foote, the source of one of Don's phone messages the day of the letter.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/08/nyreg ... -dies.html
The two agencies he led rank among the biggest in the world today, and Mr. Foote, tall and distinguished-looking, stood as one of the giants of the industry. He became known to the general public for his acerbic views of tobacco advertising, which eventually prompted him to leave advertising. He was a former chain-smoker and was a director of the American Cancer Society.

Mr. Foote resigned as chairman of McCann-Erickson in 1964, saying he was opposed to handling cigarette accounts. He was then a member of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Commission on Heart Disease, Cancer and Stroke and endorsed the Surgeon General's report that linked cigarette smoking and lung cancer.

He ridiculed protestations that billions spent on promotions had nothing to do with people taking up the habit. "I am always amused," Mr. Foote said, "by the suggestion that advertising, a function that has been shown to increase consumption of virtually every other product, somehow miraculously fails to work for tobacco products."
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

After that manifesto, Don just needs to find his Rod Tidwell and the agency will be back in business. :D

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Boardwalk Empire. A lot of the critics think it's too slow, I guess they want The Sopranos pace of knocking off people. But Steve Buchemi completely transforms into this character.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JRod wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Boardwalk Empire. A lot of the critics think it's too slow, I guess they want The Sopranos pace of knocking off people. But Steve Buchemi completely transforms into this character.
Agree on Buscemi. I dig "Boardwalk Empire." In fact, just sat down to my lappy to watch last night's episode. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

JRod wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Boardwalk Empire. A lot of the critics think it's too slow, I guess they want The Sopranos pace of knocking off people. But Steve Buchemi completely transforms into this character.
Like the show so far, but not "loving it" yet. If I had one criticism, it's that it that each episode hasn't ended with much of a "cliffhanger" vibe. I think it's coming along though.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I love it. There is a lot crammed into each episode and you have to watch carefully to "get" everything. The characters all are perfect and the story is always compelling.
Great work and I look forward to each episode.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rubicon is turning out to be a kind of 24 with brains, with grand conspiracies and terrorist attacks on the homeland, aided and abetted by traitors.

Hmm, maybe not so brainy after all.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

greggsand wrote:
Like the show so far, but not "loving it" yet. If I had one criticism, it's that it that each episode hasn't ended with much of a "cliffhanger" vibe. I think it's coming along though.
I disagree. They always left me wanted to get to the next one. The first one left you wondering who killed the Chicago boss. The 3rd one left you with that shot
of that bloody guy coming out of the woods at that couple in the car. Sopranos didn't always leave with with a "cliffhanger" either. Sometimes there is just a good spot
to stop and that's it. If the acting and writing is high quality, like it is with B.E., you don't need cheesy "cliffhangers" to get people back next week.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Rubicon is turning out to be a kind of 24 with brains, with grand conspiracies and terrorist attacks on the homeland, aided and abetted by traitors.

Hmm, maybe not so brainy after all.
Most people complain about the sluggish pace of "Rubicon," which only has kicked into drive the last two weeks. My biggest problem with the show is the ham-fisted dialogue and some of the stilted acting. The scripts are painfully awkward at times, which caused me to stop watching three weeks ago. Can't say I miss it.

AMC hit grand slams with the writing and acting of "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad." Pairing "Rubicon" with those two shows causes me to cue up the famous jingle, "One of these things is not like the other ..." from "Sesame Street."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:Sometimes there is just a good spot
to stop and that's it. If the acting and writing is high quality, like it is with B.E., you don't need cheesy "cliffhangers" to get people back next week.
Agreed. "Mad Men" episodes don't always end with a pivotal moment. Sometimes they just end with a scene, a line or an image to chew on, which is fine with me.

"Boardwalk Empire" has a lot of dishes that are mixing into a very appetizing pot-luck supper. Jimmy working hand in hand with Capone in Chicago, Jimmy's mother hooking up with the syph-infected Lucky Luciano, the conflict between Capone and Jimmy and the Chicago gangs, Nucky's growing attraction to the pure, temperance-loving Mrs. Schroeder, etc.

And how cool is it to see the incredible Michael K. Williams back on screen, playing the role of Chalky? He stole nearly every scene he was in as Omar in "The Wire." Dude is a phenomenal actor.

Plus Gretchen Mol is beyond SMOKIN' as Jimmy's mother ... :)

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Agreed. "Mad Men" episodes don't always end with a pivotal moment. Sometimes they just end with a scene, a line or an image to chew on, which is fine with me.

"Boardwalk Empire" has a lot of dishes that are mixing into a very appetizing pot-luck supper. Jimmy working hand in hand with Capone in Chicago, Jimmy's mother hooking up with the syph-infected Lucky Luciano, the conflict between Capone and Jimmy and the Chicago gangs, Nucky's growing attraction to the pure, temperance-loving Mrs. Schroeder, etc.

And how cool is it to see the incredible Michael K. Williams back on screen, playing the role of Chalky? He stole nearly every scene he was in as Omar in "The Wire." Dude is a phenomenal actor.
Perhaps 'cliffhanger' wasn't the right word, but all the other shows mentioned here (sopranos, mad men, and the wire) all have this sense of dread boiling underneath. So far, boardwalk has a lot nucky seemingly complete unaffected by everything around him other being annoyed by it all. Draper has his 'past', Tony Soprano had 'johnny sack' (among others), McNulty had Barskdale, etc.. Not sure who/what is nucky's nemesis. again, I like the show(!!!!), but I understand some of the criticism.

And yeah PK, Omar (Michael k. Williams) rocks every time he walks on screen.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

greggsand wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Perhaps 'cliffhanger' wasn't the right word, but all the other shows mentioned here (sopranos, mad men, and the wire) all have this sense of dread boiling underneath. So far, boardwalk has a lot nucky seemingly complete unaffected by everything around him other being annoyed by it all. Draper has his 'past', Tony Soprano had 'johnny sack' (among others), McNulty had Barskdale, etc.. Not sure who/what is nucky's nemesis. again, I like the show(!!!!), but I understand some of the criticism.

And yeah PK, Omar (Michael k. Williams) rocks every time he walks on screen.

Nucky has his world closing in around him. The Feds are onto him, the New York guys wants his money, Chicago is building up, there's the group that killed one of Chalky's men -- to me that's what this show is trying to portray. He's a guy on top of everything and seemingly prohibition is going to guild the lily and one stupid move by Jimmy threatens Nucky's world. Yes it's not as simplistic as the Sopranos but I'm glad.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:Plus Gretchen Mol is beyond SMOKIN' as Jimmy's mother ... :)
Nuff said!!!

The shows been great on its own... but... Mol "guest starring" as his mom?....WOWIEEE WOWIEE WOW!!!...or whatever they are calling it has me doing bad things when gf isnt around 8)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

JackB1 wrote:
I love it. There is a lot crammed into each episode and you have to watch carefully to "get" everything. The characters all are perfect and the story is always compelling.
Great work and I look forward to each episode.
Agree 100%. I am loving this series.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

OK. Somehow I had no idea that the Mad Men theme was RJD2 and Aceyalone...two artists whom I really, really like.

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

RobVarak wrote:OK. Somehow I had no idea that the Mad Men theme was RJD2 and Aceyalone...two artists whom I really, really like.

And there's a none crayon, instrumental, version. It's on one the Mad Men soundtrack and one of his earlier albums. Can't remember the name.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Anyone looking forward to the AMC series Walking Dead? Looks interesting. I'm a sucker for zombies though :lol:
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Anyone on the fence with boardwalk empire prob wasn't helped with this week's episode. The story line seems like it's saving itself for a season it may never get to...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

greggsand wrote:Anyone on the fence with boardwalk empire prob wasn't helped with this week's episode. The story line seems like it's saving itself for a season it may never get to...
Ya it was slow for the most part but the last ten minutes were pretty intense. At least intense enough to bring me back for the next episode.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

XXXIV wrote:
greggsand wrote:Anyone on the fence with boardwalk empire prob wasn't helped with this week's episode. The story line seems like it's saving itself for a season it may never get to...
Ya it was slow for the most part but the last ten minutes were pretty intense. At least intense enough to bring me back for the next episode.
Still enjoying it here. People forget there were plenty of episodes of Sapranos that were slow moving as well. As long as the overall series delivers, I'll be happy.
I still think the directing, acting and overall quality of the series is top notch.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Certainly not new television, but it's a series that hasn't seen the light of day in ages. If you have the new channel "The Hub", you'll get a nightly fix of the original Batman series. Yes it has cheesy dialogue, but it's absolutely entertaining.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Glad to see Friday Night Lights back tonight (DirecTV only of course)...the episode wasn't all that impressive, but I guess they have to setup how the season is going to play out and explain a little bit about what happened while we were gone.