The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by sportdan30 »

Once I'm done with Lost: Season 6 I'm going to check out Mad Men. Is the first couple seasons of Mad Men on Netflix "watch instantly"?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

This pretty much speaks for itself. Lane, just when I was finding qualities to admire in you...

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Last nights episode was so damn good. Everyone else likes the Suitcase episode but last nights was just so well done.

And Don is gonna smush his new secretary. Mark it down.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Ya I thought last night's episode was very strong. Hamm's melt down as Don, very impressive acting.

Dexter came back last night too. Kind of disappointing season opener as the twist at the end could have gone another way.

Boardwalk Empire is good too. But HBO has certain glossy caricature to most of its shows and Boardwalk Empire goes for the style a little too much.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Last nights episode was so damn good. Everyone else likes the Suitcase episode but last nights was just so well done.

And Don is gonna smush his new secretary. Mark it down.
No doubt. Regardless of how much he's "reformed" or how much he cares for Faye, the guy can't resist an easy piece of hot, young tail.

What was that saying about a leopard never changing its spots?

I'm more interested to see how Campbell exacts his revenge on Don. He holds more leverage over Don than just about any human on Earth now that Anna Draper is dead.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Very strong episode. It was just heartbreaking to watch the power shift between Don and Pete...particularly the scene in the elevator.

That recreation of the Playboy Club was amazing. The lengths this show goes to for accuracy in period detail are just staggering.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No doubt, Rob. Campbell was almost a young version of Lane's father -- haughty, dismissive, blue-blooded -- when he discovered Faye leaving Don's apartment after an overnighter.

Then, of course, Campbell had the gall to preach about the importance of honesty while cuddling with his wife.

Devious bastard.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well if Campbell didn't play along, they'd have to run the agency without Don.

In recent episodes, Don is cutting back on drinking, writing a journal, swimming laps. He had chance to get that other girl and also get Faye on the first night. Maybe all of this was contrition for chasing that other secretary away.

Does the panic attack continue this path or return him to old habits?

I can't recall but what precipitated him calling his lawyer to set up a trust for his kids?

Of course, Don has dallied with breaking out of this life before, running away with his mistress or staying with the jetsetters out in California. He's no longer married (though that was Betty's doing) so does the job go next? If the agency goes out of business, he could go back to selling furs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Well if Campbell didn't play along, they'd have to run the agency without Don.
Campbell's arrogance probably has brought him to the point to where he thinks he could pull it off. But Lane, Roger and Bert never would let that happen.

In recent episodes, Don is cutting back on drinking, writing a journal, swimming laps. He had chance to get that other girl and also get Faye on the first night. Maybe all of this was contrition for chasing that other secretary away.

Does the panic attack continue this path or return him to old habits?
wco81 wrote:I can't recall but what precipitated him calling his lawyer to set up a trust for his kids?
He wanted Sally and Bobby to be set in case his Korean War desertion/identity snatching was uncovered through the discrepancies in the national security clearance form that he absent-mindedly signed without reading.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Many of the new shows that permiered last week are just "eh" in my book. I thought Blue Bloods might have some hope to be good.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:Many of the new shows that permiered last week are just "eh" in my book. I thought Blue Bloods might have some hope to be good.
Agreed. "Raising Hope" cracked me up, although it's hardly top shelf. I'll still DVR it though, because I love Greg Garcia, and he's done a great job again of creating a twisted little universe for his show.

Looking forward to "No Ordinary Family" tonight. Early reviews are promising, and it's a cute premise.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Anyone else watching "Boardwalk Empire" on HBO? Scorcese is just a genious.
What a great series!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I personally like the re-imaging of Nikita.

The Event is just meh, Chase is crap and Undercovers is horrible. That's about all the new shows I watched thus far. As long as Chuck is on the air to make me laugh I am fine.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:Anyone else watching "Boardwalk Empire" on HBO? Scorcese is just a genious.
What a great series!
Yes. It's very good so far. Then again, Buscemi could host "Sesame Street" for a season, and I'd watch every episode.

Dude might be the most underrated actor of this generation. He's effing brilliant and steals nearly every scene in every production he appears.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Buscemi is great. I don't like his underling, whatever his name is. I don't think he's very strong.

If I'm nitpicking the writing isn't as strong as Mad Men. I only say that because Sunday nights, I go from Mad Men to Boardwalk Empire and you and tell the writing quality in Mad Men.

It's very good however.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Speculative Spoiler on Mad Men:

I'm starting to think that Don will have a big resurrection at the end of this season...bringing back Lucky Strike after Roger loses the account. How you ask? Remember the Lucky Strike guy getting a little freaky with Sal? Don will save that account with that information...somehow. It's his only trump card at this point. Everyone else has something on HIM.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I am loving Boardwalk Empire. Great stuff. I teach US History so I love period pieces.

A couple new shows I am digging: Detroit 187 has been pretty good so far and the new Hawaii Five O actually isn't bad. It's nothing like I expected. I was expecting cheesy but it's well done. Give it a shot, it will surprise you.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm always behind you guys in terms of shows. I finished Lost a couple weeks ago, and now I'm on to Mad Men. I've watched the first five episodes of season 1, and I am officially hooked. I'm thinking of buying the first and second seasons for my folks as a holiday gift.

My question however does the show continue to move at a nice pace where the storylines don't get too ridiculous and stay fairly believeable?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:My question however does the show continue to move at a nice pace where the storylines don't get too ridiculous and stay fairly believeable?
Absolutely. In fact, this current season is by far the best one yet. The pacing and storylines are outstanding and 100% believable. DO NOT worry about that at all with this series. It's pretty fantastic from top to bottom.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

sportdan30 wrote:I'm always behind you guys in terms of shows. I finished Lost a couple weeks ago, and now I'm on to Mad Men. I've watched the first five episodes of season 1, and I am officially hooked. I'm thinking of buying the first and second seasons for my folks as a holiday gift.

My question however does the show continue to move at a nice pace where the storylines don't get too ridiculous and stay fairly believeable?
Without being spoiler-y at all, I think it does for the most part.

Keep in mind that it's not a life/death story with people running around with guns, but at the same time, it's trying to be a gripping, captivating drama with enough twists and turns to give people a reason to tune in every week.

I think the show sometimes struggles with that balance, but it stays true to it's essence if that makes any sense.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks Db! That's great to hear. Lost kind of "lost" me the last two seasons, although it still remained a fairly riveting show. Generally that's not my genre but I genuinely loved the characters and that's ineviteably what kept me going until the end.

I think my parents are a little reluctant to start a new television series as they were thoroughly disappointed with Desperate Housewives. They enjoyed the first three quarters of season 1 of Desperate Housewives but that show went down hill fast and became way too crazy with regards to the storylines. I think they'll really enjoy Mad Men as the time period in which it takes place will appeal to them. Plus, my Dad will love the music. From what I've watched thus far, great cast of characters. Some of the acting does remind me a little bit of a stage show, but I'm not complaining. Very entertaining.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If you mean will the show keep introducing and killing off characters and plots and then in the end pretend to tie it all together, answer all the questions it raised, no MM has not pulled that s***. :lol:

May be worth checking out on Blu-Ray. Hear the visual design is perfect for that.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've been watching the Blu-Ray version that I'm renting from Netflix. The picture and audio is outstanding. My folks only have a DVD player. I was going to order from Amazon as their prices are a lot better than Best Buy and Target, however I see some complaining about the DVD quality of the discs they ordered from Amazon.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

wco81 wrote:If you mean will the show keep introducing and killing off characters and plots and then in the end pretend to tie it all together, answer all the questions it raised, no MM has not pulled that s***. :lol:
Wait, that actually sounds pretty good!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I just saw a commercial for the next season of Fri Nite Lights!