The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Dont watch many shows. Mostly stick to the history channels when Im not watching movies or sports...but I do watch these...

South Park
The Office
Entourage
Flight of the Conchords...Will ther be another season?
Family Guy

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

My current list

Top Gear
30 Rock
Lost
Modern Family (Absolutely LOVE this)
Big Bang Theory
HIMYM
No Reservations
Good Eats

Although actually I've been watching almost nothing but DVD's of Farscape, which Zeppo cruelly and maliciously got me hooked on with his effusive praise. The remaining seasons' DVD's sit on the shelf and mock me with the knowledge of the enormous investment of wasted time that I'm about to make.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I believe Conchords is officially finished.

I've gotten really into Community. I basically roll with Lost and three-quarters of the Thursday night NBC lineup. Parks hasn't gotten me.

Mad Men is a fave, when on. When does that come back? I need more Joan in my life.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I think Mad Men comes back in July. My fave on TV right now.

You could always buy a Barbie until they return:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol: at Web

and....

:cry: at Slumber
Slumberland wrote:I believe Conchords is officially finished.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

XXXIV wrote:
:cry: at Slumber
Slumberland wrote:I believe Conchords is officially finished.
You can buy three Conchords songs on Rock Band now!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think Parks and Recreation is the best sitcom on NBC now, surpassing even The Office for the mock documentary style. It's really improved since last season.

Breaking Bad will be good but it appears Walt won't be able to walk away, especially after the guilt over the jet crash.

Looks like they're going to tap into the currency with the drug cartel wars in Mexico, possibly a cartel sending up thugs to the US to kidnap Walt.

For the integrity of the show, if he walked away after he got the clean bill of health on his cancer, it would be more impressive. But obviously they want to keep the show going for awhile so they have to come up with reasons for him to stay in the game.

The original conceit, about him wanting to make a lot of money to leave behind, was compelling and carried the show into part of season 2. Then it was exploring how much Walt could be corrupted.

Now, is Walt going to cook unless he's forced to? Or be enticed by $3 million?

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

I've been getting into the new series on FX starring Timothy Olyphant (sheriff on Deadwood,etc.), Justified.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The Office
The Simpsons, reruns are fine
South Park
Family Guy
The Best Thing I've Ever Ate
Diners, Drive ins, and Dives
America's Best Dance Crew

"Life", has anyone with a good HDTV like myself been watching this? WOW.. is about all I can say.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

MizzouRah wrote:"Life", has anyone with a good HDTV like myself been watching this? WOW.. is about all I can say.
Amazing stuff in that series. You wonder how they got some of those shots.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by JRod »

Coming late to the Mad Men band wagon, I have to say that the show is one of the best written shows of recent memory. It's not that it's just dialogue but developing of the characters. The shows are good but if you catch some of the clips where the writer of the show explains what he's going for, you see the brilliance of it.

Just a fantastic show and deserves it place next to The Wire, West Wing (before Sorkin left) as one of the best written shows in TV history.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Coming late to the Mad Men band wagon, I have to say that the show is one of the best written shows of recent memory. It's not that it's just dialogue but developing of the characters. The shows are good but if you catch some of the clips where the writer of the show explains what he's going for, you see the brilliance of it.

Just a fantastic show and deserves it place next to The Wire, West Wing (before Sorkin left) as one of the best written shows in TV history.
It's funny that you say you're late to the Mad Men party...they are only in season 3! I'm just now starting to watch the Wire season 1...that's REALLY late. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This is season 4 of "Mad Men." I've been lucky enough to be on the "Mad Men" wagon since the first minute of Season 1. Fantastic show, for all the reasons JRod mentioned and more.

DB, you'll dig "The Wire." Effing phenomenal.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Season 4? Geeze, I'm out of it...I guess I didn't realize those small ass season 1 and 2 runs were considered separate. Oh well...still a badass show. Last weeks was probably one of the best ever. Just awesome.

I am only a few eps into the Wire and already it's pretty damn good. Every person I've talked to about it, loves it, so I've got high expectations as I go along. :)

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Breaking Bad is the only show I watch religiously. Other than that, it's pretty much just sports or documentaries.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I too am late on the Wire bandwagon. Even worse, I bought the complete series from Amazon eons ago on a sale (90 bucks I think) and stalled halfway thru season one. I've been watching again lately though. I really like it so far.

Maybe I'll finish the first few seasons by the time Christmas comes around. :P
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:Breaking Bad is the only show I watch religiously. Other than that, it's pretty much just sports or documentaries.
"Breaking Bad" is killer, too. I also like the new AMC series, "Rubicon." AMC is 3-for-3 with its original series with me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:Breaking Bad is the only show I watch religiously. Other than that, it's pretty much just sports or documentaries.
"Breaking Bad" is killer, too. I also like the new AMC series, "Rubicon." AMC is 3-for-3 with its original series with me.
Rubicon is interesting...I cant decide if I like it or not. Sometimes it just seems too slow and some of the character development is lacking but it keeps me watching and I'm at least interested in seeing what happens next because of how the show is written. So, I'm still not completely sold, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rubincon's slow build will be fine, as long as they don't resort to the Lost school of stringing viewers along.

Can't resist a chance to take a gratuitous shot at Lost. :D

FX has a pretty good repertoire. Louie is good and looking forward to the second season of The League. Their comedies are out there.

Justified was terrific.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Louie was good but sometimes it just gets weird. I like his stand-up though.

I'm with you guys on Rubicon. I don't know what I think of it. I need to give it a few more episodes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Rubicon is interesting...I cant decide if I like it or not. Sometimes it just seems too slow and some of the character development is lacking but it keeps me watching and I'm at least interested in seeing what happens next because of how the show is written. So, I'm still not completely sold, but I'll give it a few more episodes.
That's EXACTLY how I feel about the show, DB. Plus the pasty-white secretary type who is infatuated with the main character has a great rack ... :)

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Rescue Me
First 48
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Deadliest Catch
Entourage

Looking forward to Boardwalk Empire on HBO as well. http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/index.html
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

JackDog wrote: Looking forward to Boardwalk Empire on HBO as well. http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/index.html

OMG, the trailer for that thing punches every button in my primordial guy brain. LOL Every time I see it I start climbing the walls. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Boardwalk Empire sounds interesting and I'll watch it since I'm subscribing. But hard to buy Buscemi as some badass kingpin.

Bored to Death was pretty good, looking forward to that. Curb Your Enthusiasm was great last season and they're supposedly filming now for fall or winter broadcast.

Dexter is coming in September too.

There are so many more outlets for original series and for the most part, the bar has been raised across almost all of these non-network channels.

On Rubicon, I guess the analysts were torn up about some collateral damage on a Predator attack that they recommended. Tanya the female analyst is keeping late hours since that time. Then you have that retired guy and Travers going through the phonebook, getting a little obsessive about the puzzle. There's character development without the overt home life/relationship exposition that you get on most shows.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Absolutely loving Louie on FX.

Can't wait for Dexter Season 5.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.