The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:U ppl are nuts. Season 2 wire was one of the best. The change in story was ballsy and adds to the whole story.

Season one takes about 5 episodes to get going. It's slow but there's a good reason so to build the characters up for the rest of the series.
The second statement is true, but good god Season 2 was the worst of the 5 and MOST people will agree with that.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Anyone watching the second season of Fargo? It's been fantastic. The last episode went cuckoo crazy.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Fargo is the best thing going right now.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:Fargo is the best thing going right now.
I've never watched Fargo, but Bloodline is up there in my top 10 shows of all times. It's that good. I can't rave about it enough (last time I promise). I can't see the series going longer than a season, but it's absolutely gripping right now. It's a binge watch if there's ever been one.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:
I've never watched Fargo, but Bloodline is up there in my top 10 shows of all times. It's that good. I can't rave about it enough (last time I promise). I can't see the series going longer than a season, but it's absolutely gripping right now. It's a binge watch if there's ever been one.
Fargo and Bloodline are apples and oranges. Personally, I dropped out of Bloodline after 4 or 5 episodes. not because it was bad, as it really isa great production and an interesting story. But pretty soon, I didn't care about a single character, and I tired of the false suspense over events that everyone in the show is aware of except the viewer. It feels like it was based on a novel and would have made an awesome film. But stretched out, it just wore us down and we moved on.

Fargo is an off-kilter gangster story set in North Dakota and Minnesota. The characters are quirky. Some are lovable, some are evil, almost all are a bit nuts, and a special few are intelligent enough to see the madness for what it is. It's based off the film, and is a very black comedy.

The only thing linking the stories of the film and seasons one and two are the setting. They happen in different time periods, with a completely different set of characters and a new story for each season and the film. There are lots of fun easter eggs that link the the stories, but you can watch any of them without the other.

It's all based the original Coen Brothers film, and the ripe with great dialog and plenty of violence.

Season One:

Season Two:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Glad to hear all of the praise for S2. I intended to watch week to week, but after a few piled up on the DVR, I've decided to binge them over the holidays. Much more satisfying that way, anyhow.

Also still have Jessica Jones to dive into as well. So much excellent TV.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Where can I catch Fargo after Bloodline? Netflix?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Maybe on demand from your cable provider?

There is also an FX Now app, I think.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Just a quick plug to the new show, the Expanse, starting on Syfy tonight. I've only seen the premiere episode, but I'm a big fan of the book series. They're taking the Game of Thrones route, with each book becoming a 10-episode season.

It's sci-fi/space opera set 200 years in the future, but all the tech is plausible. From the premiere it's obvious Syfy is spending a ton of money on the show, and the book authors are involved so I'm pretty hopeful that it'll be solid.

XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'll be watching it and the other new show as well, but history shows Syfy will cancel shows whenever the hell they feel like it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Childhood's End is appearing on SyFy. If you have not read the book, please do so. One of my favorite Sci-Fi works of all time. I highly doubt the mini-series will do it justice, but i'll see how they treat it anyway.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:I'll be watching it and the other new show as well, but history shows Syfy will cancel shows whenever the hell they feel like it.
It's already been renewed for Season 2, but yeah I am nervous how long this show will last. Book 6 in series comes out summer 2016.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Finished season 1 of Bloodline and am very happy there is going to be a season 2 sometime in 2016.

I'm on to Fargo now. Hulu has season 1, so I will subscribe to that for a month.

I also am interested in checking out Jessica Jones on Netflix, which has gotten some excellent reviews.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:I also am interested in checking out Jessica Jones on Netflix, which has gotten some excellent reviews.
I thought it was really good, better than Dare Devil. I limit myself to 2 episodes a day to avoid binge watching anything now days but I could of watched this in a single day. Falls into some of the typical comic book traps with villains but I was disappointed when it ended.

I feel like I'm the only one watching Into the Badlands on AMC. The story is fairly meh but the fight sequences are worth watching the show for IMO. I'm glad the 2 syfy shows are starting because I'm running out of shows to watch over the winter.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I watched The Expanse last night and if I'm being honest aside from fantastic effects it didn't grab me. I couldn't tell you the name of one character or what is really going on other than some kind of detective guy is looking for a rich girl who might be the person from the opening sequence? Then some people are on a ship mining ice and explore a distress signal and thing go wrong. I think this is a 2 night premiere so hopefully it hits home tonight.

I then watched about 40 minutes of Childhood's end and that grabbed me a lot more. i was too tired to make it through the 2 hours but totally different approach as it identified 2 main characters right away and got the story going immediately.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'm with you 100%. My wife and I watched the first episode of The Expanse and were rather underwhelmed by it all. I'll probably still watch at least some of it, but as for story, it kind of feels same ol', same ol'.

Childhood's End felt much more interesting. It probably helps that CE is a six hour event over three nights and not the launch of a series. It's a story, not a set-up to introduce characters. SyFy is linking them, but they really are two completely different kind of stories.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

And holy crap, the Fargo finale was a fantastic end to one of the best seasons of TV I have ever watched.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Aristo wrote:I'm with you 100%. My wife and I watched the first episode of The Expanse and were rather underwhelmed by it all. I'll probably still watch at least some of it, but as for story, it kind of feels same ol', same ol'.

Childhood's End felt much more interesting. It probably helps that CE is a six hour event over three nights and not the launch of a series. It's a story, not a set-up to introduce characters. SyFy is linking them, but they really are two completely different kind of stories.
I think there really are a lot of parallels to Game of Thrones. Recall that show started with a WTF scene with the white walkers, who then disappear for quite a while. Then the first episode ended with Bran shockingly being pushed out the window.

Here we have a WTF moment on a drifting ship, and the episode ends with the mining ship being nuked out of nowhere. Not quite as delicious as GoT, but it's the same kind of thing--just introducing the world, with a few dramatic moments to pique curiosity.

The Expanse throws a lot at the audience really quickly in the first few minutes in terms of world building, and if you're not paying attention most of the nuances will fly right past. In the case of both shows, re-watching the first episode was pretty satisfying (even though in this case I know the books).

Based on reading around reviews and impressions, I would give it a few episodes. It sounds like it takes a few episodes for the audience to really get a sense of where this is going and why it would be interesting. If you're not interested by then, you can probably safely bail.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote:I think there really are a lot of parallels to Game of Thrones. Recall that show started with a WTF scene with the white walkers, who then disappear for quite a while. Then the first episode ended with Bran shockingly being pushed out the window.
I think my counter to that is at least I knew some of the characters after that 1st GoT episode. I'm not kidding when I say I don't know anyone's name after a single viewing. I got the whole quick Earth spoiled rich people, Mars bad military and Belters the suffering thing from the title screens. I'm sure it will all connect at some point but I'd rather had a full 2 hour first episode that did that then splitting it.
Follow Me on:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

For whatever reason, Syfy put the first 4 episodes of The Expanse up on the web last night. I'll probably binge them tonight.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've watched two episodes of Fargo and 1 episode of Jessica Jones thus far. Fargo definitely has grabbed my interest more. I'll give Jessica Jones a few more episodes, but the first episode didn't really do anything for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote:For whatever reason, Syfy put the first 4 episodes of The Expanse up on the web last night. I'll probably binge them tonight.
That's not typically a good sign.
Follow Me on:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:
Naples39 wrote:For whatever reason, Syfy put the first 4 episodes of The Expanse up on the web last night. I'll probably binge them tonight.
They put up the premier 3 weeks ago, which is how I saw it. I don't know the thinking here.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
They put up the premier 3 weeks ago, which is how I saw it. I don't know the thinking here.
I watched the 2nd one last night and didn't find myself anymore drawn in. I will watch the other two this weekend and see if I like it as 4 episodes is typically enough to judge by. I hear Dark Matter is good might Netflix that.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

My cable provider had the first 4 episodes on demand on Monday, I only watched the premiere and didn't really get into it, not sure if I will continue the series or not.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone