The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by XXXIV »

Im going on the second showing.

Like an idiot I looked here.

Thanks for not killing me :P

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Ned Stark said it....

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just watched the pilot to USA's new show Mr. Robot. Very, very cool. Rami Malek, one of my favorite actors (Played Snafu Shelton in The Pacific) plays a hacker that has social issues who works for a corporation that he hates. I'll leave it at that. I was very impressed with the pilot. Give it a look if you get a chance. The pilot is On Demand and online early as a promotion. I'm excited to watch the series which begins June 24th.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

IGN review of Mr. Robot. http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/mr ... mov-review

Mr. Robot pilot.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Hannibal is back, and really, it is better than ever. It's taken two season s to get Hannibal on the run, but now that he is, the character is rally coming to life. While working as a psychiatrist, he has held himself in check in a degree that he does not have to now. Mads Mikklesen still plays a more reserved Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins, but once you watch him, this really is the defining performance.

And seriously, this is the only show on TV that exceeds Breaking Bad and Better Cal Saul in terms of art direction and the use of visual storytelling. Now thatchy are in Florence, Italy, this has been kicked up another notch. Seriously, this is among the best TV shows ever. I'm so glad its back, even if they had to move it to a summer season to account for how many people would prefer not to watch a show about cannibalism.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Netflix's Sense8 might be the best mind blowing show ever to grace the little screen. It took awhile, but this really is the kind of stuff I had hoped to see from the Wachowski's after The Matrix. It's a great ride, and its got all that stoner philosophy percolating throughout.
Last edited by Aristo on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aristo wrote:Netflix's Sense8 might be the best mind blowing show ever to grace the little screw. It took awhile, but this realm is the kind of stuff I had hoped to see from the Wachowski's after The Matrix. It's a great ride, and its got all that stoner philosophy percolating throughout.
I have 3 episodes left and as I just told my wife after watching episode 9 the show is so fantastic that the symphony scene got me choked up and sickened me at the same time. I have to say as well that this show is scored to perfection. The music they use in the pivotal scenes is just so spot on. I really don't want to finish it and wait for a season 2.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Diablo25 wrote:Just watched the pilot to USA's new show Mr. Robot. Very, very cool. Rami Malek, one of my favorite actors (Played Snafu Shelton in The Pacific) plays a hacker that has social issues who works for a corporation that he hates. I'll leave it at that.

thank you for the word on Mr. Robot. Wouldn't have known of it, otherwise. Intelligent script, and bullsh*t free (at least the pilot). And a likeable main character, which is refreshing. The pilot kinda had a "If Dexter were a computer hacker" vibe to it.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

from 'Orange is the New Black' to "Orange is the New Crap". No, not that bad. However, with the exception of a few moments, the show (Season 3) have went from guilty pleasure to, just guilty. At 7 episodes in, don't know if it will pick up. Different show.

what i know is, the end of Season 2, provided maybe the most satisfying single finale, in recent memory. Difficult to live up to.

Weeds was very uneven, from Season to Season. This may become the same.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vinny-b wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Just watched the pilot to USA's new show Mr. Robot. Very, very cool. Rami Malek, one of my favorite actors (Played Snafu Shelton in The Pacific) plays a hacker that has social issues who works for a corporation that he hates. I'll leave it at that.

thank you for the word on Mr. Robot. Wouldn't have known of it, otherwise. Intelligent script, and bullsh*t free (at least the pilot). And a likeable main character, which is refreshing. The pilot kinda had a "If Dexter were a computer hacker" vibe to it.
No problem. Rami Malek is superb. Can't wait t see how it plays out.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Silicon Valley" and "Halt and Catch Fire" are my guilty TV pleasures these days. Both shows very different -- one a comedy, one a drama -- with the common theme of the tech industry and being VERY good entertainment.

"Maron" also is very funny on IFC. Helps that I enjoy Maron's "WTF" podcast.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Halt has been fantastic so far. The first season was one of my favorite debut seasons ever, and season 2 looks like it's off to a good start as well.

These period pieces (like Mad Men) obviously have a shelf life tho as they skipped ahead a few years to get to the online gaming portion of our history, so it'll be interesting to see how long the run of the show goes assuming they keep getting the ratings to keep it going.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:These period pieces (like Mad Men) obviously have a shelf life tho as they skipped ahead a few years to get to the online gaming portion of our history, so it'll be interesting to see how long the run of the show goes assuming they keep getting the ratings to keep it going.
The ratings reportedly were low for the first season, but the show was renewed because AMC execs believed so much in it. But the low ratings probably also explain the shift in storyline toward the women and their online gaming company than from the men and the remnants of Cardiff Electric.

Excellent show.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Just got done watching the 2 hour premiere of season 3 of the show that I didn't think would make it past the first season, Under the Dome, so bad yet I can't look away. All will be revealed next week. :lol:
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

vinny-b wrote:

We just finished the pilot. Loved it. Made me wish it were a Netflix show, as I am ready to binge watch it right now.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:
vinny-b wrote:

We just finished the pilot. Loved it. Made me wish it were a Netflix show, as I am ready to binge watch it right now.
I know the feeling. The show was actually renewed for a second season before the premier even debuted. Rami Malek is superb in everything he does...especially The Pacific.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

My wife and I have been watching episodes of Moone Boy on Hulu.

Great comedy!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Not really feeling True Detective this season thus far.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Halt and Catch Fire" on AMC has, ahem, ignited this season. The increased emphasis on the Donna-Cameron-Mutiny storyline has caused a very good show in its first season to border on a great show in its second season.

This show should be a hit. Hopefully it gains momentum, much like "Breaking Bad," which didn't capture the public's attention until Season 3 or 4.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

pk500 wrote:"Halt and Catch Fire" on AMC has, ahem, ignited this season. The increased emphasis on the Donna-Cameron-Mutiny storyline has caused a very good show in its first season to border on a great show in its second season.

This show should be a hit. Hopefully it gains momentum, much like "Breaking Bad," which didn't capture the public's attention until Season 3 or 4.
Totally agree Paul. Plus I find myself having major flashbacks with all the 80s stuff. I remember my Commodore 64....loved it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

grtwhtsk wrote:Totally agree Paul. Plus I find myself having major flashbacks with all the 80s stuff. I remember my Commodore 64....loved it.
The clothes, music and household decor always grab me, Steve. This season takes place in 1985 -- I was 20! Remember all of that stuff.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Not sure they'll ever find an audience.

There are people with nostalgia who will be drawn in.

So Gordon has a degenerative brain condition and he can't even tell the wife. Meanwhile, he doesn't even notice Nintendo, which is probably going to steamroll Mutiny.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Mr. Robot episode 2 tonight. Hopefully it holds the momentum is gained with the premier. Looking forward to it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

wco81 wrote:Not sure they'll ever find an audience.

There are people with nostalgia who will be drawn in.

So Gordon has a degenerative brain condition and he can't even tell the wife. Meanwhile, he doesn't even notice Nintendo, which is probably going to steamroll Mutiny.
Mutiny is all about online gaming, Nintendo has yet to steamroll anyone in that part of the gaming business. :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but we know online gaming didn't take off in this era, whereas the NES became huge, resuscitated the video game business after Atari flamed out.