The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by JackB1 »

grtwhtsk wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Can't believe more aren't talking about "The Leftovers". This is a compelling and dark show in the same vein as True Detective.
Really been enjoying it so far. Only 3 episodes in, so plenty of time to hop on :)
Jack, I'm liking it as well. I feel like I need to go back and see things I might have missed.
It's definitely one of those you go back and rewatch and then think about and then you go "that's why they showed that"!
It's a dark drama for sure, but so far I'm hooked. The 3rd episode was great.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It had been over a year since I watched the first two episodes of the first season of Dexter. I was bored one evening, and decided to pick up on episode 3 as the wife wasn't around to continue watching Orange is the New Black. Nonethless, this show pulled me back in big time, much moreso than a year ago. Maybe it was because I was balancing watching Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and comparing Dexter to those shows. In any case, whenever I think I'm not going to find a show that is as captivating as the last said show, another series surprises me. I imagine I'm almost done with season 1, but is there really 5 seasons? Seems like an awful lot. Hoping I don't burned out.

Everyone has remarked at how great The League is, but after one episode, I'm not feeling it at all. Perhaps after a hiatus, it'll spark my interest like Dexter now has.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

total of 8 seasons, actually. While not top-tier like Breaking Bad, Dexter is the next step below. With the exception of 2 seasons, i loved the show. May be in the minority, however i very much liked the final 2 seasons. Jimmy Smits in Season 3 was awesome as well (to helll with the online critics). To me, with the exception of Season 4 and Season 6, the show didn't get 'tired'

also a "sleeper" series for 2014 is TYRANT. This show is different, as it's set in the middle east, and involves an American family. Awesome show. And phenomenal photography/set. Too bad, it's never been mentioned in this thread.

comedy of the year? Easy. SILICON VALLEY.

btw, i don't like 'The League', either

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Can someone recommend a new show series to watch? I only just finnished Breaking Bad (can't believe I waited forever to watch that one)
and am looking for a new series on Netflix to get into.

Suggestions?

Homeland?
House of Cards?
Sons of Anarchy?
Orange is the new black?
Madmen?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Jack,

I'd suggest Mad Men, although coming off of Breaking Bad, it might move a little too slow. But what s great show with a number of excellent actors. I'll probably get back in to watching House of Cards some day, but I just don't find political dramas to be my thing as they stretch too far from reality. I'd probably suggest watching Orange is the New Black with your wife. I'm not sure I would have been so inclined to watch it by myself. Can't comment on the other two.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

House of Cards is very good, only 13 episodes per season of the two seasons that are available so you could catch up with that series before season 3 releases next year.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The first season of "Homeland" was one of the most taut, exciting TV series I've ever seen. The series has alternated between plummeting and leveling out in the subsequent two seasons.

Did you ever watch "Friday Night Lights" on NBC, Jack? I think it's on Netflix now. Absolutely superb series that is about so much more than high school football.

And if you want to laugh your balls off, watch "Trailer Park Boys" on Netflix. Every damn season. Funniest show ever on TV.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I would second the suggestion of Friday Night Lights. Holy crap do I miss that show.

I loved the first season of Homeland, but the second was so bad we just canceled Showtime and never looked back.

Orange is the New Black and House of Cards are both great.

If you have Amazon, and maybe scifi is something you like, Stargate: Universe has two 20 episode seasons that are fantastic. It is basically Stargate, but made to look and feel more like BSG.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Ken Burns PBS 7 Part series on the Roosevelt's has been 'Deee-lightful'.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Borgen is good.

Heard Bron is as well.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:The first season of "Homeland" was one of the most taut, exciting TV series I've ever seen. The series has alternated between plummeting and leveling out in the subsequent two seasons.

Did you ever watch "Friday Night Lights" on NBC, Jack? I think it's on Netflix now. Absolutely superb series that is about so much more than high school football.

And if you want to laugh your balls off, watch "Trailer Park Boys" on Netflix. Every damn season. Funniest show ever on TV.

Yes, we loved Fri Night Lights and watched it as it came out on TV.

I will consider Homeland. It's going to be tough on any of these shows following the excellent Breaking Bad.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

vader29 wrote:House of Cards is very good, only 13 episodes per season of the two seasons that are available so you could catch up with that series before season 3 releases next year.
thanks Vader. Everyone seems to be in agreement on H.O.C.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I finished watching Dexter a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, and it was my "go to show" every night. I wasn't happy at all with the finale, but that's neither here nor there.

I watched the first show of Sons of Anarchy, and it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll go back to it eventually.

For now, I've settled on Rescue Me. From only 2 episodes, I can tell I'll be all in. The only problem now is that once again, Netflix will take away my gaming time.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I know the Marvel stuff is not everyones cup of tea but having an 11 year old daughter who loves everything Marvel is something I embrace as it is quality time together. The new limited run Agent Carter show was a lot better than expected, in fact I like it better than our main show together Agents of Shield. I think it sends a nice message to young girls and the fact it is only 7 episodes should mean a solid story.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Watched The Killing, Broadchurch, The fall, all crime dramas all really good.
Watched the 4 episodes of southcliffe.
Some cool British scenery in Broadchurch and southcliffe, kind of Doc Martin-ey

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Enjoying Forever on ABC. Great characters. Henry Morgan makes a better Sherlock Holmes type than the dude on Elementary. Love the flashbacks to his previous lives. Hope this one stays on the air.
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Lillehammer (Netflix) - Sopranos meet Northern Exposure

Doc Martin (Netflix/Hulu) - Quirky doctor in most picturesque town ever

I second, third and fourth House of Cards

Chickens (Hulu) - 3 guys in 1915 England who chickened out of going to WW1 and live in a small town with woman whose men are fighting the war.

Peaky Blinders (Netflix) - Gang series set in 1920's England

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Season 3 of Hannibal is coming. It may not be for everyone, but this is one of the smartest and most artistically shot shows on TV right now. It looks like Bryan Fuller is looking to double down on those traits this season.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I though Better Call Saul had a very good first episode of a series last night and am looking forward to tonight's episode and the series as a whole. Tuco showing up at the end was a bit of a shock as I wasn't expecting any other Breaking Bad characters other than Mike to show up in the pilot.
Last edited by vader29 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Really like Better Call Saul a lot. Anyone looking for more Breaking Bad is going to be really pleased by the tone, pacing and writing in this.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Was really impressed with Better Call Saul last night. It definitely has a Breaking Bad vibe to it which is a great thing.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I thought last nights the Walking Dead was the best of the series.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Saul was great. Loved the slippin jimmy story.

Dead did not like at all. They haven't put back to back good seasons together. Like last season so hope they break the trend.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:I thought last nights the Walking Dead was the best of the series.
It was definitely riveting. Love the show.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Saul excellent tonight as well. Can't wait for Ep3!