XM Radio help

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

XM Radio help

Post by snaz16 »

Anyone have Xm Radio,and what kind of receiver do you have. I'm in my work vehicle often during the day. Any on line sites for radio's etc or hints?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XM Radio help

Post by greggsand »

snaz16 wrote:Anyone have Xm Radio,and what kind of receiver do you have. I'm in my work vehicle often during the day. Any on line sites for radio's etc or hints?
I'm a Sirius guy. Sirius has a whole forum on gear, installs, etc... Very helpful. I'm sure XM has the same.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If you believe Howard Stern propaganda, XM is losing momentum and if the merger doesn't go through, they will be done.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Have both XM and Sirius. Currently am using one of the Pioneer Inno's and before was a Pioneer Airware.

A couple of good XM boards are www.xmfan.com and www.xm411.com.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I'm a little behind the times and have a SkyFi 2 and a myFi. The SkyFi 2 is great, the myFi a bit finicky. Some of the new radios look great, I would like to upgrade at some point.

I would recommend getting a radio that can pause and rewind. It is a great feature, but I would assume most radios today have it.

Pitchers and catchers report this month, so get your radio!

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

wco81 wrote:If you believe Howard Stern propaganda, XM is losing momentum and if the merger doesn't go through, they will be done.
I think if the merger doesn't go through, both camps will prove the sat radio biz cannot be profitable & will both fold up. There's no guarantee that even the merger goes through, they'll ever turn a profit. I do know if u bought XM stock 2 years ago, you're prob pretty bummed right now.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Let's hope Sat radio doesn't go belly up. I can't listen to regular radio!!!
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

JRod wrote:Let's hope Sat radio doesn't go belly up. I can't listen to regular radio!!!
Amen! The only time I listen to terrestrial radio is to hear the Cubs or Milt Rosenberg on WGN, and a snippet of local sports talk here and there. Maybe 5% of the listening I do.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JRod wrote:Let's hope Sat radio doesn't go belly up. I can't listen to regular radio!!!
I feel the same way about Internet-only radio, such as Radio Paradise, XTC Radio, SomaFM and Belly Up 4 Blues. Also KKJZ (Jazz) terrestrial from Long Beach, Calif.

I'm strapped to a desk for nine or 10 hours per day, and I'd be lost without Internet radio -- music, not talk -- and MP3's.

I'd probably be in the same ship as you cats with satellite if I was on the road. Almost all terrestrial music radio is just horrible, hemmed in by over-rigid formatting and a narrow playlist within those tight formats.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

I used to have both.. but trying to locate a Sirius signal at night (every night ) became a chore to me - so I got rid of it.. now just have XM ( a MyFi portable unit - car, house,etc).. haven't had any issues with it (though it probably is hard to find now as they come out with new radios quickly).. I have my house antenna facing through a wall and have no issues whatsoever..

I rarely listen to "regular radio" at all anymore

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

thanks for the replies and hints,websites. Being the baseball junkie I am,thats why I want to go with xm radio,along with the music stations galore. Having Direct tv gave me a taste of those.
Their info says you can listen online also,but from what I'm seeing that doesn't include the baseball stations.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
I'd probably be in the same ship as you cats with satellite if I was on the road. Almost all terrestrial music radio is just horrible, hemmed in by over-rigid formatting and a narrow playlist within those tight formats.

Take care,
PK
It is cool to take a 4-5 hour road trip and never have to "find a station" every 45 mins. The big downside is the initial cost. A 'portable radio' = $100/$150. A docking station for each additional car = $50 a pop (+ the drag of a "clean install"). Dock for the house = $50, and then the monthly fee. You gotta really want some radio. This is one industry that could benefit from a monopoly. My Honda has XM built-in, I bought Sirius for the NFL & Stern. Who knows what my next car will have built-in (if anything). Just combine all the content & technology already!

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Just to confirm, baseball is definitely not included online. I set up a home kit in my office for those important games (read: anything during the day not broadcast by Ron Santo).

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

I'll jump in as I have a Skyfi 2. Have a boombox to have it on the porch at night. With hockey and baseball, 13 a month is worth every penny.'

The music is a bonus.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Supposedly if you have a Sirius account you can get it online through streaming audio.

Or maybe they just stream some programs like Stern.

People claim they listen overseas.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

wco81 wrote:Supposedly if you have a Sirius account you can get it online through streaming audio.

Or maybe they just stream some programs like Stern.

People claim they listen overseas.
Some channels you can listen to but not all.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

greggsand wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK
It is cool to take a 4-5 hour road trip and never have to "find a station" every 45 mins. The big downside is the initial cost. A 'portable radio' = $100/$150. A docking station for each additional car = $50 a pop (+ the drag of a "clean install"). Dock for the house = $50, and then the monthly fee. You gotta really want some radio. This is one industry that could benefit from a monopoly. My Honda has XM built-in, I bought Sirius for the NFL & Stern. Who knows what my next car will have built-in (if anything). Just combine all the content & technology already!

bought mine as a "kit" - they go for about $300 -$350, and comes with the home, car, and "portable" mounts and antennas.. I'll tell you what is messed up though.. I brought my XM radio with me to an Orioles game.. it was funny to hear the game because the broadcast seemed to be "delayed" compared to the action on the field

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

nyisles16 wrote:
greggsand wrote:
pk500 wrote: I'd probably be in the same ship as you cats with satellite if I was on the road. Almost all terrestrial music radio is just horrible, hemmed in by over-rigid formatting and a narrow playlist within those tight formats.

Take care,
PK

bought mine as a "kit" - they go for about $300 -$350, and comes with the home, car, and "portable" mounts and antennas.. I'll tell you what is messed up though.. I brought my XM radio with me to an Orioles game.. it was funny to hear the game because the broadcast seemed to be "delayed" compared to the action on the field
It's about a 10-20 second delay from TV, so I imagine it's worse in person.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Sweet !! They now have "ESPN Extra" on channel 141.. :lol:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I finally joined the satellite radio party and it's awesome! A local station here dropped one of my favorite afternoon commute shows and changed formats so I also lost ESPN radio (had a hard time picking it up anyway during certain times of year anyway). I also just don't have the time now to keep my ipods stocked with material to cover my daily commuting, travel, workouts, etc.

I bought the Pioneer Inno2 and XM (chosen for hockey and baseball) and I'm really happy with it. It gets great reception in my area everywhere without an antenna! I can even pick it up in my basement as long as I don't walk around with it.

As *somewhat* of an audiophile, I was initially disappointed with the sound quality, which was quite a bit worse than I anticipated, but the content and portability more than makes up for it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I notice ESPN has a bunch of podcasts on iTunes.

I've listened to one or two of them in the past but I don't know how quickly they update them.

So you might get them at least a day later, meaning the stuff they discuss could be old news.

But I listened to things like PTI so the content didn't have to be up to the minute.

NPR does several shows as well. I also subscribe to some WSJ podcasts and realized I could get some of the WSJ.com content that I pay to subscribe to for free.