This blogger has lost his mind..........

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

This blogger has lost his mind..........

Post by ddtrane »

saying that the Saturn is the worst console of all time.

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9861122-17.html

Apparently he never had access to a 3DO, N64(my personal favorite for worst of all time), or an Atari Jaguar. I really liked the Saturn. Who doesn't remember 10 man Bomberman, Sega Rally, and Dayyytttoonnnnaaaa!????? Your thoughts please.
gamertag: ddtrane65

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I had a 3DO for a little when I talked my parents into getting me one for Xmas. Sure, the console was doomed to fail because of it's price point, but man, FIFA Soccer, Need for Speed, and Road Rash simply blew away games on Genesis and SNES that were available at the same time.

You also weren't a fan of N64, but that was the console that made analog sticks the standard, had 4 player games without adapters, and trigger buttons. I had both a PS1 and a N64, I used my N64 more. To this day I play old N64 games like Pilotwings, Super Mario 64, Blast Corps and Wave Race. I can't say the same for ANY PS1 game. And while Goldeneye hasn't aged very well, that game was mind-boggling fun when it came out, both single player and multi-player.

My vote for worst console would be Atari Jaguar, which really brought nothing to the table.
Last edited by Naples39 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: This blogger has lost his mind..........

Post by dougb »

ddtrane wrote:saying that the Saturn is the worst console of all time.

Apparently he never had access to a 3DO, N64(my personal favorite for worst of all time), or an Atari Jaguar. I really liked the Saturn. Who doesn't remember 10 man Bomberman, Sega Rally, and Dayyytttoonnnnaaaa!????? Your thoughts please.
To my mind, and this will shock those of you old enough to remember playing it, the worse console was the Atari 2600. Absolutely horrible compared to the Intellivision - though the Atari did pre-date it by a few years. Anybody remember the orginal football - YIKES!

best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Naples39 wrote:I had a 3DO for a little when I talked my parents into getting me one for Xmas. Sure, the console was doomed to fail because of it's price point, but man, FIFA Soccer, Need for Speed, and Road Rash simply blew away games on Genesis and SNES that were available at the same time.

You also weren't a fan of N64, but that was the console that made analog sticks the standard, had 4 player games without adapters, and trigger buttons. I had both a PS1 and a N64, I used my N64 more. To this day I play old N64 games like Pilotwings, Super Mario 64, Blast Corps and Wave Race. I can't say the same for ANY PS1 game. And while Goldeneye hasn't aged very well, that game was mind-boggling fun when it came out, both single player and multi-player.

My vote for worst console would be Atari Jaguar, which really brought nothing to the table.
I understand your point. And don't forget the N64 introduced rumble into gameplay. But I just wasn't really into my N64 as I was my PS1 with Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken, and the original Ridge Racer.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: This blogger has lost his mind..........

Post by ddtrane »

dougb wrote:
ddtrane wrote:saying that the Saturn is the worst console of all time.

To my mind, and this will shock those of you old enough to remember playing it, the worse console was the Atari 2600. Absolutely horrible compared to the Intellivision - though the Atari did pre-date it by a few years. Anybody remember the orginal football - YIKES!

best wishes,

Doug
Yes, I remember playing Atari football in all its 3 on 3 glory. 8O Hey Dougb, everytime I read one of your posts, its almost like I can hear Ernest Borgnine voicing your replies. :)

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

What about the Odyssey 2?? I had one when all the other kids had a 2600. Good times...

http://members.fortunecity.com/lakeshorelover/index.htm

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

greggsand wrote:What about the Odyssey 2?? I had one when all the other kids had a 2600. Good times...

Pick-Axe Pete...I loved that game....plus the keyboard...good times.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

The blogger must not have had a virtual boy either. My friend had one and after 1 service of Mario Tennis(or whatever it was called), that thing made me sick as he11. :evil:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

ddtrane wrote:The blogger must not have had a virtual boy either. My friend had one and after 1 service of Mario Tennis(or whatever it was called), that thing made me sick as he11. :evil:
LOL. Virtual Boy is tough to beat for worst all time.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'll take the NGage.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'll take the NGage.
Was that a phone trying to be a console, or a console masquerading as a phone?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Anyone who would vote N64 for worst console of all time needs to have their gamer card removed.

Goldeneye 007
Mario64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Perfect Dark
Excitebike 64
Wave Race 64
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
1080 Snowboarding

Hell probably a lot that I'm missing. No way can you consider the N64 as the worst console of all time.

Atari 2600????? The granddaddy of them all???
Space Invaders
Pitfall
Adventure
Defender
Asteroids
Yar's Revenge
Vanguard
Zaxxon
Warlords
River Raid
Spider Fighter
Frogger

s***, I can't even begin to remember all the great games I had growing up as child. Let's put this into perspective here. What console prior to the 2600 really got into a lot of homes.

I don't remember a lot of people having pong. Hell, I don't recall any console other than the 2600 that more than one of my friends had. I think the Atari 2600 was the first console to hit mass market (or what could be considered mass market at the time).

Imo those are two systems that have absolutely no business being the discussion of "worst console of all time"
Last edited by Wilk5280 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Agreed, Boom. The N64 had its limitations but it also produced some of the most amazing games in history. Mario 64 was an enormous leap forward in 3D gaming and Goldeneye was one of those titles that helped propel games out of the "for kids only" restriction.

I also read the blogger's column about the SNES being the best. It certainly was amazing, but I was more intrigued by his dismissal of the PSX from "greatest" consideration. The SNES produced hordes of memorable games, but the PSX really changed the paradigm from "games" to "interactive entertainment," mostly because of its technological advances. I remember the first time I played Resident Evil, and nothing in gaming to that point prepared me for the visceral feeling of seeing that first zombie hunkered over a human corpse. Or Tomb Raider. That may have been a platformer at heart, but the immersion factor made it a completely different experience from playing something like MegaMan or Super Mario Brothers.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Naples39 wrote:I had a 3DO for a little when I talked my parents into getting me one for Xmas. Sure, the console was doomed to fail because of it's price point, but man, FIFA Soccer, Need for Speed, and Road Rash simply blew away games on Genesis and SNES that were available at the same time.
My friends and I thought that one of my best friends' parents were crazy when they actually bought the 3DO for him. I'm pretty sure that playing Return Fire for hours on end for about two years straight made it a fairly good purchase. The soundtrack in that game was absolutely epic for its time and the basic CTF the gameplay was amazing. The graphics in RF weren't anything all *that* great (still better than the others consoles at the time, mostly for the different perspectives and scaling) but it was one of the most fun games I'd ever played. The PC versions (RF 1 and 2) never captured the same feelings for me.

We also played Road Rash and FIFA quite a bit and they were both miles ahead of anything else at the time. Just driving around in Road Rash was pretty fun. I'm pretty sure they released Need for Speed on the system as well (back when it was Road & Track's NFS) and that was fun as hell as well.

I seem to remember playing Demolition Man a ton too, but that just might have been the graphics "wow" factor doing it for us. We'd never seen anything else like it up to the point. I don't think I actually watched the movie, but we played that game like crazy. Ah, to be in grade seven again.
Last edited by Airdog on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

N64 was an amazing system for its time, but based almost entirely on its first and second party developers. If you didn't much like the SNES, NES, or the Nintendo franchises and IP, then you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the N64 at all. Add in the fact that the sports games were fairly dismal (I had to resort to hockey for the PC for years, which was probably for the better bc it was light years ahead of the PSX versions anyway) and I'm sure that many a North American gamer was disappointed. I agree with whoever else said that PSX introduced North America to the real "interactive entertainment" aspect of gaming and will add that if it wasn't for the PSX, gaming wouldn't be nearly as mainstream and "cool" as it is now. If you video game as an adult, or young adult, you're not looked as a leper as you may have been in the 80s and 90s when you were telling your pals at the water cooler that you're *that* close to finishing off level 2-3 in Mario Bros.

It's difficult for me to say what exactly was my favourite console/gaming system. C64, Vic-20, and Atari 2600 will always hold a special place in my heart (as well as text adventures actually helping me develop my reading/writing skills) but I don't think that they have the same type of feeling that the NES/SNES/N64/Dreamcast gave me.

Perhaps my most disappointing console was the Gamecube. It gave a few good titles but it also took some awesome franchises (Mario, Zelda) and gave them arguably their worst incarnations to date. I liked Sunshine and Wind Waker just fine, but I never felt the inclination to replay them or, in Sunshine's case, to collect every last star. And Luigi's mansion... ehhh.
- Rob

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Oh man I forgot about Return Fire. Another great game I played a lot with my friends. I distinctly remember the awesome feeling of creating havoc while blasting Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner. It was true next-gen stuff.

Need for Speed was still the king though. I think the 3DO version was the best, even better than the PC or PS versions where handling was made easier. And don't even get me started on the trash that was NFS2 on PS1 or the current street racing versions.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

It's funny for me to see the N64 love here. I recall not having a great view of it in its heyday, (minus a few titles like Goldeneye) but recently I pulled it out and plugged it in so my son could play some Mario64 since he's already 'beaten' Galaxy (passed the 60 star mark) and some of the later challenges were getting frustrating for him. I ended up popping in and playing most of the rest of the collection that I have left as well, and I was pleasantly surprised about how good some of those games still are. Mario is still great, I think the 1080 and Wave Race titles were better on the 64 than they were on the 'Cube, and games like Diddy Kong Racing and Excitebite 64 still rock.

I might end up putting more hours into the 64 NOW then I did back then, when Playstation ruled the roost at my place.

Metman24
Mario Mendoza

Post by Metman24 »

Airdog wrote:N64 was an amazing system for its time, but based almost entirely on its first and second party developers. If you didn't much like the SNES, NES, or the Nintendo franchises and IP, then you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the N64 at all. Add in the fact that the sports games were fairly dismal (I had to resort to hockey for the PC for years, which was probably for the better bc it was light years ahead of the PSX versions anyway) and I'm sure that many a North American gamer was disappointed. I agree with whoever else said that PSX introduced North America to the real "interactive entertainment" aspect of gaming and will add that if it wasn't for the PSX, gaming wouldn't be nearly as mainstream and "cool" as it is now. If you video game as an adult, or young adult, you're not looked as a leper as you may have been in the 80s and 90s when you were telling your pals at the water cooler that you're *that* close to finishing off level 2-3 in Mario Bros.

It's difficult for me to say what exactly was my favourite console/gaming system. C64, Vic-20, and Atari 2600 will always hold a special place in my heart (as well as text adventures actually helping me develop my reading/writing skills) but I don't think that they have the same type of feeling that the NES/SNES/N64/Dreamcast gave me.

Perhaps my most disappointing console was the Gamecube. It gave a few good titles but it also took some awesome franchises (Mario, Zelda) and gave them arguably their worst incarnations to date. I liked Sunshine and Wind Waker just fine, but I never felt the inclination to replay them or, in Sunshine's case, to collect every last star. And Luigi's mansion... ehhh.
I agree with you that the GameCube was probbly my most dissappointing console, but I'd throw in the Sega CD, and 32X as major flubs. Although I have to admit, the Saturn was the first, and only console I ever sold back. I took the money from that to buy a PSX.

Also, for the record, the 3DO was a great machine, the price was just way to high. The game were incredible. The stadium rotation in FIFA was the best back then, and led to most of the 3D stadiums of today. And the effect of the balloons launching in Need for Speed still inspires awe.
It's you're, not your!!....Thank you.
XBL Tag; Richkid24

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I wasn't much of a Sega fan, truth be told, so I pretty much just laughed when all of their systems failed. Years later, baby Jesus played a horrible trick on me when my beloved Dreamcast met the same fate.

At least I got to trade my DC for centre ice, 10th row, tickets for Leafs vs. Red Wings. And the Leafs won...
- Rob

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

pigpen81 wrote:
greggsand wrote:What about the Odyssey 2?? I had one when all the other kids had a 2600. Good times...

Pick-Axe Pete...I loved that game....plus the keyboard...good times.
KC Munchkin was a truly addictive game!

Rick

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The problem with the N64 was that it was hit-or-miss on genres. For sports it was pretty terrible -- International Superstar Soccer was good and All-Star Baseball was decent, but that was about it. Football was awful as Madden wasn't as good as the PSX versions and Quarterback Club was possibly the worst recurring sports franchise in gaming history. And it also had Fox Sports College Hoops 99, my personal choice for worst sports game of all time.

I seem to recall it was very sparse on RPGs too.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Ya Odyessy was the only good game on 2600, but it really sucked. But N64 takes my place as the worst console I've ever owned.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

The thing that really pissed me off about the N64 was the three pronged controller. That infuriated me so bad that I've never owned a GameCube or thought about even purchasing one.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ddtrane wrote:The thing that really pissed me off about the N64 was the three pronged controller. That infuriated me so bad that I've never owned a GameCube or thought about even purchasing one.
Could never figure out what to do with that third prong, huh?

:wink: :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The best console in my opinion was also the most disappointing. The Dreamcast. Sooooo much potential...so far ahead of it's time...yet no one seemed to jump on board and two years later. Gonzo.

I've still got mine...there are about 10 games that are still better than anything that has been released since. Hell, Test Drive LeMans is still the best racing game I have ever played.