This blogger has lost his mind..........

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Dreamcast was the best console. In retrospect, the EA Ban maybe helped the console since it had such diversity and innovating games. Loved the VMU idea and how you could access the internet and get to sites that had mods to games. You think we'll ever have a CONSOLE where you get mods from a user community again?!

I know some people who will always compare new systems to the Dreamcast.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

That blogger is a moron. Although Sega marketed the Saturn horribly (especially with rushing Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA the latter being a huge disappoint in comparison to the arcade version) there are a ton of gems on that console such as Burning Rangers, the Panzer Dragoon series (especially the classic Panzer Dragoon Saga RPG), Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Virtua Fighter 2 (and all the other 3D fighting games from Sega such as Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx, etc.), Grandia and a whole assortment of other great titles. I was especially into 2D fighting games on the console so if you were a 2D fighting game fanatic like I was it was THE console of choice for 2D fighting games such as the Capcom fighting games like X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Street Fighter and all the great SNK fighting and 2D action games as well. The Saturn is anything but the worst system of all time. In Japan the console was a huge success. It was only because Sega did a piss poor job in marketing the console is why it was a failure.

DB I`m definitely with you in saying that the Dreamcast was the greatest console of all time. The console was so far ahead of its time with things like online play (although the Saturn had this first, Dreamcast executed this better), the VMU (think about it, when playing a football game like NFL 2K the VMU will display all of your plays so that your opponent can`t see what you`re calling, and some games had cool mini games that you can play on the VMU), a large assortment of arcade titles like Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2 (which was better on Dreamcast than the PS2 version), it has really awesome sports games like the NFL 2K series and the NBA 2K series (I still remember the first time that I played NBA 2K and how mesmerized I was by the graphics of that game) although the baseball series was never really that great on the Dreamcast.

However, the last reason why I love the console so much is that my favorite video game of all time Shenmue was on it. I know there are some people out there that didn`t like it but the game was so far ahead of its time that it was ridiculous. The interactivity that was available in this game was so absurd that nothing today even comes close (some would argue that GTA is more immersive but I disagree). All the NPCs in that game you could talk to and they all had something to say and it seemed like they all had their own lives to live in the game I remember one instance where I followed a NPC female character throughout the day and I managed to follow her home where she went inside her house and closed the door. How many video games to this day have NPC with the level of intelligence like this, the answer none. The size of the game world was massive in the first game (the second Shenmue had ten times the game world that the first game had) and I have never been so immersed by a video game in my entire life.

It`s because of games like Shenmue and others that I previously mentioned or left out because of the length of the post that I love the Dreamcast so much and it`s definitely too bad that more people didn`t get into the console because they were definitely missing out on in my opinion the greatest game console in history.

Metman24
Mario Mendoza

Post by Metman24 »

Inuyasha wrote:Dreamcast was the best console. In retrospect, the EA Ban maybe helped the console since it had such diversity and innovating games. Loved the VMU idea and how you could access the internet and get to sites that had mods to games. You think we'll ever have a CONSOLE where you get mods from a user community again?!

I still have two Dreamcasts, one was a Japanese one. (I just had to have Code Veronica before it hit America!). There's still a little part of me that's still pissed at EA for not supporting the Dreamcast.

Actually, the part's not that little!
It's you're, not your!!....Thank you.
XBL Tag; Richkid24

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Metman24 wrote:I still have two Dreamcasts, one was a Japanese one. (I just had to have Code Veronica before it hit America!). There's still a little part of me that's still pissed at EA for not supporting the Dreamcast.

And I've got a huge part of me that will forever hat VC for putting in automatic fielding in the first World Series baseball. The game I look forward to for a freaking YEAR!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I had gotten a Japanese DC too. Only thing I've ever imported from another country in my whole life. I got it mainly for Sega Rally and House of the Dead 2 with the gun. Those 2 games were so much fun for me.

As for that WSB game, man I was pissed, but actually I ended up liking the game even w/ the Auto fielding.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Metman24 wrote:I still have two Dreamcasts, one was a Japanese one. (I just had to have Code Veronica before it hit America!). There's still a little part of me that's still pissed at EA for not supporting the Dreamcast.

And I've got a huge part of me that will forever hat VC for putting in automatic fielding in the first World Series baseball. The game I look forward to for a freaking YEAR!
Worst gameplay decision ever in a sports game. Completely ruined the game for me. Especially because the fielding AI would just make brutal mistakes that you had no control over.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I got use to that game, but the fielding wasn't my biggest gripe. It was that weird hitting model where you pressed and held the R button and to swing you would release it.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Metman24 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:Dreamcast was the best console. In retrospect, the EA Ban maybe helped the console since it had such diversity and innovating games. Loved the VMU idea and how you could access the internet and get to sites that had mods to games. You think we'll ever have a CONSOLE where you get mods from a user community again?!

I still have two Dreamcasts, one was a Japanese one. (I just had to have Code Veronica before it hit America!). There's still a little part of me that's still pissed at EA for not supporting the Dreamcast.

I still have mine and plan on keeping it. I may be biased/sega fan, but the Saturn as well as the Dreamcast are solid machines that never had the red rings of death. Heck, no one I know had any problems with Sega machines or for that fact older consoles in general.
gamertag: ddtrane65

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

wow you guys are really bringing back some great memories with the Dreamcast talk. I'm still pissed EA didn't support the system. I still believe that Sony and EA had a back alley deal. Sony telling EA: "you don't support DC and we'll let you release Madden at launch and we won't release Gameday until next year"
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I was lucky enough to go to E3 in 1999, before the DC launched that September, and remember how blown away I was by the system. Playing NFL 2k at the Sega booth was just an eye-popping experience, as was Soul Calibur. NBA 2k to me was even more impressive than NFK 2k because of the detail in the players.

It's a shame it didn't stick. I eventually traded mine in toward an XBox.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

N64 had my most favorite Star Wars game of all time with Shadows of the Empire, the Banjo Kazooie games were very good also. Still have my Dreamcast along with a handfull of games for it, Ferrari F355 Challenge is still one of my top racing games of all time.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Brando70 wrote:I was lucky enough to go to E3 in 1999, before the DC launched that September, and remember how blown away I was by the system. Playing NFL 2k at the Sega booth was just an eye-popping experience, as was Soul Calibur. NBA 2k to me was even more impressive than NFK 2k because of the detail in the players.

I still have a DC hooked up. Soul Caliber still looks great!

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

greggsand wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I was lucky enough to go to E3 in 1999, before the DC launched that September, and remember how blown away I was by the system. Playing NFL 2k at the Sega booth was just an eye-popping experience, as was Soul Calibur. NBA 2k to me was even more impressive than NFK 2k because of the detail in the players.

I still have a DC hooked up. Soul Caliber still looks great!
Still have mine also. I will NEVER part with that console. Soul Calibur to me is probably the greatest 3D fighter of all time. That game blew everything out of the water the time it came out and it still stands pretty good compared to some of the fighters that have come out since.