2007-2008 NFL Playoffs

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

2007-2008 NFL Playoffs

Post by wco81 »

So the main suspense is whether the Patriots can be stopped.

Below is a handy summary of the contenders in the AFC and their recent history against the Patriots.

A trendy pick is the Jaguars but their pass defense is pretty average. Yeah if they can run on the Pats like the Ravens did, maybe they can control the clock.

But I would have liked them more to soften up the Pats by giving them a physical game. Even though they handled the Steelers fairly easily earlier this month in Pittsburgh, it's going to be a very physical game for them, which even if they win, will leave them in a weakened state to go up against the Pats.

Chargers, despite their win streak, don't look that good. They may get their playoff win against the Titans but their pass offense just isn't there. They had the lowest number of receptions by WRs, which is saying something when they're in the same league as the 49ers. Can Rivers step up?

Colts, with Freeney out and Harrison's status uncertain, may get to the championship game but aren't likely to be able to slow down the Pats enough or score with them.

Team would have to score 35 or 40 points at least to beat the Patriots at Foxboro, unless the weather conditions are absolutely horrid.

Can any AFC team defeat the Patriots?
Big sword needed to slay this dragon
Daniel Brown
Mercury News
Article Launched: 01/02/2008 01:57:04 AM PST

Can anybody in the AFC keep pace with New England?
Sure, just as long as it's a combined effort. Take the Jaguars' running game, the Steelers' defense, the Colts' quarterback and - voila! - the Patriots might win by only two touchdowns!

Oddsmakers have recognized just how predictable these playoffs could be, listing the Patriots as 1-to-4 favorites to win the Super Bowl.
It would be like betting on Fred Astaire to win "Dancing With the Stars."
By comparison, the Pittsburgh Steelers - no slouches as a No. 4 seed featuring the NFL's top-rated defense - are listed as a 40-to-1 shot.
That's how stacked the deck can look when a team goes 16-0 and scores an NFL-record 589 points.

The Patriots beat all comers by an average score of 37-17. In six games against teams that wound up in the playoffs this season, the average score was Patriots 39, Pretender 20.

"Hats off to us," Patriots receiver Randy Moss said after the season finale. "In this game of football, it's hard to go 16-0. As a football player and a fan of the game, my hat's off to this organization."

There were, however, also rare occasions when New England looked vulnerable - even temporarily - which provides a few clues for the AFC opponents hoping to slay the dragon.

The Philadelphia Eagles put up a fight Nov. 25 when defensive coordinator Jim Johnson utilized a combination of three- and four-man fronts and blitzing creatively. This game plan did the impossible

- it knocked Tom Brady out of rhythm and minimized the impact of Moss.

The Baltimore Ravens also unleashed a wide array of blitzes in a 27-24 defeat the next week. And the Ravens' offense helped keep Brady and Co. off the field by pounding away with a no-nonsense running game, with Willis McGahee rushing for 138 yards in 30 carries.

In the end, of course, neither game plan mattered. New England figured it out on both occasions in time to yell "checkmate."

"You're not going to fool Tom Brady, that's all there is to it," Patriots receiver Wes Welker said after catching 13 passes in the Eagles game. "As much as you try, it's not going to happen. Tom is simply too good and too smart - and that's the bottom line."

But for those who need to dream, here is a primer on where to hang your hopes:

No. 2 seed: Indianapolis
Offense: Fifth overall (sixth pass, eighth rush).
Defense: Third overall (second pass, 15th rush).
Last meeting with Patriots: 24-20 defeat at Indianapolis on Nov. 4.

Dragon-Slayer factor: The Colts' best asset is that they won't be intimidated, having won in Foxboro twice since 2005 and having defeated the Pats in last season's AFC title game. In their loss to New England this season, the Colts carved a 10-point fourth-quarter lead even though they lacked receiver Marvin Harrison (knee bruise). Rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez developed a rapport with Peyton Manning in Harrison's absence, giving the Colts yet another weapon to keep pace with the Pats.

Harrison has been sidelined for 11 of the past 12 games, but Coach Tony Dungy has no fears about rust when the receiver returns for the postseason.

"This is not a first- or second-year guy we're dealing with. He's a Hall of Famer who's caught almost a thousand balls from Peyton Manning," Dungy said Sunday.

No. 3 seed: San Diego
Offense: 20th (26th pass, seventh rush).
Defense: 14th (14th pass, 16th rush).
Last meeting with Patriots: 38-14 defeat at New England on Sept. 16.

Dragon-Slayer factor: After a slow start, the Chargers regained their swagger by going 6-0 down the stretch and racking up 30.5 points per game. San Diego has not won a playoff game since going to the Super Bowl after the 1994 season but seems to be peaking at the right time. San Diego has been playing mistake-free, with an NFL-best plus-24 turnover ratio, which is an essential ingredient against New England. "We have the tools in the locker room to beat any team," defensive lineman Igor Olshansky said. Lack of offensive balance could hurt them: running back LaDainian Tomlinson is as dynamic as ever, but the Chargers completed only 117 passes to wide receivers, the lowest total in the NFL.

No. 4 Seed: Pittsburgh
Offense: 17th (22nd pass, third rush).
Defense: First (third pass, third rush).
Last meeting with Patriots: 34-13 defeat at New England on Dec. 9.

Dragon-Slayer factor: The Steelers won the Super Bowl as a wild card two years ago, so this route looks like Easy Street by comparison. If he gets the chance, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is one of the few minds brilliant enough to match wits with Brady and Co. He loves the zone blitz coming off multiple looks. The Steelers allowed just 219 yards per game this season, the best since Miami's 212 in 2002. Pittsburgh lost a major force when running back Willie Parker broke his leg, but quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would not be afraid to shoot it out with the Patriots. His 104.1 rating trailed only Brady (117.2) among NFL passers. The offensive line, however, must rely on third-stringer Trai Essex at left tackle.

No. 5 Seed: Jacksonville
Offense: Seventh (17th pass, second rush).
Defense: 12th (15th pass, 11th rush).
Last meeting with Patriots: 24-21 defeat at Jacksonville on Dec. 24, 2006.

Dragon-Slayer factor: Might have the right recipe for defusing New England if the Jaguars get past the Steelers. The run-oriented Jaguars can bully their way toward big point totals, having scored at least three touchdowns in a team-record 10 consecutive games.

Rejuvenated running back Fred Taylor finished the season with five consecutive 100-yard games; he and running back Maurice Jones-Drew could help chew up the clock and keep the Patriots off the field.

Jacksonville can also strike quickly if it needs to, ranking in the NFL's top 10 for plays of 20 yards or longer. On defense, the Jaguars held 10 opponents to 17 points or fewer (same as New England).

No. 6 Seed: Tennessee
Offense: 21st (27th pass, fifth rush).
Defense: Fifth (10th pass, fifth rush).
Last meeting with Patriots: 40-23 defeat at Nashville on Dec. 31, 2006.

Dragon-Slayer factor: Fortunately for the Titans, they are not overly reliant on their most famous name, quarterback Vince Young, whose playing status is in jeopardy because of a strained right quadriceps. The Titans' nine touchdown passes are the fewest by any playoff team since 1978. Moreover, Young has struggled against 3-4 defenses such as the Patriots', so going to the more experienced Kerry Collins wouldn't be a huge setback. The key for the Titans is the defense, anchored by end Kyle Vanden Bosch and tackle Albert Haynesworth. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is not afraid of the overload blitz.

As another plus, Tennessee has been in playoff mode for a while, winning four of the past five to squeak in a last-second berth.

"The key here is not to all of a sudden take a deep breath, throw your arms up in the air and say, 'We made it,' " Coach Jeff Fisher said. "We made it, now we need to do something about it."

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think they will win it all, but I think the Colts and Jags have a chance. Indy has the firepower and Jacksonville has grinding running game with a QB who makes very few mistakes. I especially like them in a bad weather game.

I don't think the Cowboys or Packers will do much against NE if they face off in the Super Bowl. The Packers are a classic overachieving team that would likely get pounded by a New England group who has no emotional circuitry for feel-good Brett Favre stories. Dallas has looked like crap since November.

Overall, I think the Pats are just too much. They have a few weaknesses, but they have such great coaching, the best QB and receiving corps, a solid D, and the ability to light it up. I don't think anyone is really equipped to stop them this year.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Brando70 wrote:I think they will win it all, but I think the Colts and Jags have a chance. Indy has the firepower and Jacksonville has grinding running game with a QB who makes very few mistakes.

Overall, I think the Pats are just too much. They have a few weaknesses, but they have such great coaching, the best QB and receiving corps, a solid D, and the ability to light it up. I don't think anyone is really equipped to stop them this year.
Don't forget about my bolts. They are getting nice and hot coming into the playoffs this year after a dismal start against the pats and packers. The offense is still suspect but with LT and Gates you can't count them out in any game plus the D is playing well. Totally agree on the jags though, great crappy weather team and Garrard has really come into his own this season (I'd put him in my top five QBs). Pittsburgh looks too beat up (no Parker, the o-line) to really do much of anything.

I'll be rooting against the Patriots every step of the way:)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I like the Chargers (lived in SD for a while), but there's no way Philip Rivers is marching into New England and winning a road playoff game, LT or no LT. I think they'll beat Tennessee but lose in the Division round.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

My predictions for this weekend:

Jacksonville over Pittsburgh - No Willie is a killer and the Jags are finally primed to do something in the playoffs.

Seattle over Washington - I think Seattle is one helluva tough place to go get a victory. I think the Redskins are definitely capable of winning this game but I think the home field advantage might be too much.

San Diego over Tennessee - I like LT, I don't like Philip Rivers. I like Tennessee more with Collins than with Young now. If it's close and Fisher goes to Collins I think Tennesse can pull this one out. Should be a good game.

New York over Tampa Bay - I just don't think the Bucs are that good and they really haven't played in 3 weeks. Too much rust combined with New York's momentum.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

When did New York get momentum? Tampa will beat them.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I don't think New England has much more than a 50-50 chance of beating Indianapolis. The Colts were beating them pretty handily until they suffered a huge string of injuries on offense that made it impossible for them to sustain success in the fourth quarter. They should be fully loaded for the AFC Championship game except for Freeney. At this point the weather is probably going to hurt the Patriots more than the Colts, who don't rely on the deep ball as much. And the Colts offense, with its emphasis on working the middle of the field with Clark high and Addai low, attacks the point where New England's defense is weakest. It also doesn't hurt that the Patriots will be under tremendous pressure to win the game, while the Colts- the 13-3 defending champions, mind you-will be under no pressure whatsoever.

Jacksonville can beat New England but probably won't, Dallas can beat New England but almost certainly won't, but the Colts have a very good chance to slay the dragon.

As for this week, they're all closely matched teams except for Tampa, who has been much better than the Giants this year (records aside). Should be a good slate of games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jags. No Willie, no win for Pittsburgh. Pretty simple. Plus Garrard quietly has become one of the league's elite QB's.

Skins. Washington plays in a much tougher division than Seattle, and the Skins had to fight to make the playoffs. They're a sharper team, 4-1 in their last five. The Seahawks are 3-2 in their last five.

Bolts. San Diego has won six in a row, and the Bolts can salt away the clock by putting the ball in LT's gut in the fourth quarter if they have a lead, reducing the very real chance that Rivers could f*ck up.

Bucs. Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin. Need I say more? But the Jints are 7-1 on the road this year, so this is the toughest game to call. Still, the Giants are too unpredictable, and Manning will spontaneously combust at some point.

Fun weekend ahead!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Redskins over Seahawks. Seattle looks awful recently and the Redskins have more mo' than any team in the NFC.

Tampa over the Manning Jr. Face. The Bucs have looked bad but I don't like Eli on the road.

Jags over Steelers. I think without Willie Parker the Steelers won't be able to consistently mount an offense.

Chargers over Titans. I think San Diego will blow them out, no matter who starts for the Titans at QB.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

SEA over WAS. Yes the Hawks have been very consistent at being inconsistent this season, but with Alexander healed they'll play more the running game that they are used to. Yes WAS is the hottest team coming into this weekend but the home crowd will play a key role at home for the Hawks. That stadium is loud.

SD, TPA and JACK among the other winners.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

http://www.armchairgm.com/Article:Tecmo ... rd_Weekend

tecmo bowl playoff simulations. freaking awesome

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Redskins over Seahwaks...Hot team that is playing hard.

Bucs over Giants...Eli magic.

Jags over Steelers...toughest one for me to pick but Parker absence tipped scales.

Chargers over Titans...Titans belong in the NFC West.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

SEA - huge home field advantage, and a LONG trip from Washington.
NYG - Jacobs should be able to truck most of the TB defense. That guy is a monster.
JAX - two-headed RB machine in the backfield. If it's not Taylor, it's Jones going for 50yd scores. This RBBC was actually very effective this year, both guys put up huge numbers.
SD - Titans shouldn't even be in the playoffs if they got to play a NFL team for 4qtrs last week.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats to the Redskins for making it this far in a season full of emotions, but Seahwaks were superior today. Hackett had key catches and I was a bit surprised that the Seahawks passed the ball as much as they did. Bring on B. Favre.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Go Rams.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:Seahwaks were superior today. .
I watched the games...and they were both kick ass....

In the EXACT same sense....The Jags were the superior team today.

Two great games that were undecided til late in the 4th that could have gone either way.
Last edited by XXXIV on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Joe Buck already acting the idiot as he calls a quick pass to a wide out from Garcia a direct snap....

Either he is wasted or his head still hasnt been fully removed from Mark McGwire ass.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:When did New York get momentum? Tampa will beat them.
IMO they got momentum by beating the Bills to make the playoffs and then taking the unprecedented 16-0 Patriots to the very end of the game. I think you can get momentum even in defeat.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Both Scoop and JonDiehl seem spot on with one game to go.

I agree about the Giants having momentum. I honestly thought they would lay an egg at Buffalo and when it was 14-0 I thought I was right, but the Giants took over the game against a team that plays just about everyone tough. I also thought that playing to win against NE was a better move than playing backups like TB did.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

kevinpars wrote:Both Scoop and JonDiehl seem spot on with one game to go.

I agree about the Giants having momentum. I honestly thought they would lay an egg at Buffalo and when it was 14-0 I thought I was right, but the Giants took over the game against a team that plays just about everyone tough. I also thought that playing to win against NE was a better move than playing backups like TB did.
3 out 3 is pretty good ...especially when I consider I needed a 4th and 2 scramble to avoid 0-3..

You guys are right The Giants were in on a roll and the Bucs never woke up from their december slumber. Eli may be growing up...

Though the Seahawks rested and it didnt bother them. They, except for some stupid 2nd half throws, looked very good. Especially their D. That D line can bring alot of pressure without blitzing.

Next week we will see what that nap does for the Colts who will have not played a full game for a while...

So far grats to Hawks, Jags and Giants

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Surprised to see so many people picking TB. The giants put 35 on the Pats & TB can barely score 17pts a game...

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Giants! :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Phill Simms challenges Joe Buck for idiot of the day.

Wants SD to call a timeout to see if they will challenge play. ...ummm...moron...They only have one left if they use it they cant challenge....

These guys need to be given that wonderlic test before they get these announcing jobs.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

As that int assures the Chargers win and ends WC weekend.

Im ready to make my SB pick....

ready?

Colts 41 Seahawks 10

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Looks like SD will hang on.

Jags aren't going to present much of a challenge to the Pats passing for under 150 yards. They scored 14 of their 31 points on an int. return and a kickoff return.

Pats will dare Garrard to beat them and try to shut down the Jags' running game.

Unless there's a blizzard or the weather is really miserable and Moss decides to take the week off, Jags can't score enough and the Jags defense, especially pass defense, isn't good enough to stop the Patriots attack.

SD is capable of beating Indy by dominating the line of scrimmage but if Gates is out and with Rivers in a hostile atmosphere, it's not likely.

On the NFC side, it should be the home teams but it could be good matchups, especially if Owens isn't back all the way from injury and bad weather at Lambeau forces two teams with no running game to rein in their pass-happy offenses.