Anyone playing Football Manager 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Anyone playing Football Manager 2008

Post by JRod »

The games been out for a while and there's been little talk of the game.

I haven't bought it yet but will over the holidays after the first major patch is released.

Just wondering what the consensus is on FM 08.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's buggy as hell but still fun and you'll waste hours just playing it. The new patch address a slew of bugs but that's typical of the FM franchise. I also have FIFA Manager 08 and it's equally as fun.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I haven't had any bug problems, and it's been very fun. I think the match engine seems to be improved, and I've enjoyed "watching" some of the play.

However, MLS is completely and totally FUBAR-ed. See the blog for my comments on it...but it's just horrible. Considering that I like playing MLS, it's a pain for me...but for 99 percent of the world, the game is probably great.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Yeah, intermittently. Rodster is right that it is still buggy after the beta patch, so I'm hesitant to get too far into a career just yet. Plus the content creators are still coming to grips with the new format for some of the graphics files, and the default pink/white skin makes my eyes bleed and I really miss having all the kits and logos. I have been spending way more time with FM 2007 on the PSP. I've tried 2008 PSP and it's good as well, but 2007 seems to strike just the right balance between micromanagement and a fair challenge.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Jared, did the beta patch fix at least some of the MLS problems (as it claimed)?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Hate the default skin, but I haven't run into too many bugs. I've sort of taken my career at a leisurely pace, in anticipation of a patch all the same. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

much better skins over at Sortitoutsi

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Blublub wrote:Jared, did the beta patch fix at least some of the MLS problems (as it claimed)?
A few, but the really important ones weren't fixed. I made a post on the blog on this w/more info, if you're interested.

http://blog.digitalsportspage.com/2007/ ... ll-in-mls/

It's a real shame that they've screwed it up this badly.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I just wish I could get Wednesday promoted.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Not got any bugs to report (even before the patch last week) but it does seem a little tougher than previously.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It is a harder game, I will give it that. I can't raid Scandanavia for a World Class team anymore.

New Zealand wanted me to be their manager. I rewarded them by beating Solomon Islands 10-0 on aggregate in the World Cup Qualifying Finals. I will probably get my ass beat in the playoff though.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Question on WWSM? Do all of the logos and skins of FM work for WWSM.

I don't want to get WWSM and not be able to use all the work editors do. I know the file structures are the same so I think they would be I've always bought FM.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

JRod wrote:Question on WWSM? Do all of the logos and skins of FM work for WWSM.

I don't want to get WWSM and not be able to use all the work editors do. I know the file structures are the same so I think they would be I've always bought FM.
Logos, kits and other graphics yes - no problem at all. I would assume skins probably work also, but haven't checked that myself.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

For the third year, I fail to get Wednesday out of the Championship. Surely, I'll get the sack now!

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Anyone playing WWSM on a mac. I've had a few crashes with it. That's probably more than I've ever had with FM 07.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I've just started with Liverpool, currently sitting in 5th after 7 games and through to the CL groups.

Dumped off some malcontents (yes, Mr Riise, that'll be you) and swapped Mr Fragile (Xavi Alonso) for one of my FM standbys, Benoit Pedretti. Not doing too bad considering that Reina has been out for a month and I've got some no-name in nets instead.

Couple of random thoughts for those thinking of using Liverpool..

- don't have anything breakable nearby if you are going to play Fernando Alonso...by heavens he misses some sitters.

- Jermaine Pennant is an idle waster

- Yossi Benayoun is right up there with him.

More dispatches from the Anfield front line if I don't get sacked, or the Scousers haven't nicked me computer :wink:
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

davet010 wrote:Fernando Alonso...by heavens he misses some sitters.
Really drives the play forward, though.

I agree with you, Dave, it does seem tougher. My main news headline right now reads 'Hartlepool lose their way into the record books'. Before I took over the reins, the club had never managed to lose 9 straight matches, and I hadn't pulled off that particular feat in any of the series prior to FM 2008...

Of course, I could just be terrible.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Haha I loaned Pennant at my Newcastle game. He's decent in my squad of "malcontents". Whereas Dave's team and some malcontents, I have a full squad of them.

Cacapa anyone, Barton, Milner, Viduka.

What the f*** is the real Allerdyce doing?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I won the Oceania Nations Cup with New Zealand again, cheers to me!

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

JRod wrote:Haha I loaned Pennant at my Newcastle game. He's decent in my squad of "malcontents". Whereas Dave's team and some malcontents, I have a full squad of them.

Cacapa anyone, Barton, Milner, Viduka.

What the f*** is the real Allerdyce doing?
Lord knows.

Milner isn't a trouble causer (though they wouldn't sell him to me..maybe I'll try a Pennant swap deal), and Viduka isn't a dressing room pain - he's just similar to those US sportsmen who play big in their last contract year, then he engineers moves on free transfer so that clubs can pay him bigger wages (for more pies, obviously).

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I bought Altidore in 2008 in my game and he's torn up the Championship for over 30 goals in each of the last two seasons. Starting up Season #4, still in the Championship.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:I bought Altidore in 2008 in my game and he's torn up the Championship for over 30 goals in each of the last two seasons. Starting up Season #4, still in the Championship.
No work permit issue?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

RobVarak wrote:
fsquid wrote:I bought Altidore in 2008 in my game and he's torn up the Championship for over 30 goals in each of the last two seasons. Starting up Season #4, still in the Championship.
No work permit issue?
I believe that I appealed and got a conditional one. Then I just had to make sure he played in X number of games. I also bought Qavis Kirk, but he didn't get one.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

f*** this game...

I got sacked by Newcastle after finishing the season in 13th. That squad should be relegated. The are shockingly bad.

I think they were pissed because I spent about 30 million due to selling Owen and Martins.

Oh and I had the best signing of 07/08 in the EPL coupled with the two worst signings.

Still the best game ever made.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Liverpool tucked in 2nd place behind Man U in my first season after 25 games - although it is fair to say that there isn't much of a title race, as MU are currently unbeaten and 20 points ahead.

Through to Champs League knockout and FA Cup round 6, though an early League Cup knockout is still annoying my US owners...it was at home to MU after all, miserable sods.

Some tips for prospective Liverpool managers

-get shut of Riise, Xavi Alonso (injury prone) and Hyypia (slow liability), and if anyone can get decent performances out of Mascherano and Benayoun, can they let me know how ?