Review Up!: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Review Up!: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)

Post by Jared »

Macca00 (aka Lavan Chandran) again contributes another excellent review. The review is long, but totally worth it for people that are interested in importing the game now, or purchasing the North American version (whenever that will be released). Read it, and feel free to comment on the review in this thread

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)

Also, we'll have reviews up of College Hoops 2K8 and Football Manager 2008 in the upcoming weeks.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Good read.

I'm looking forward to the 360 release here in North America. Much like the review states, I'm sure I'll be disappointed with a lot of aspects but will play the game like crazy regardless because of the solid AI and overall flow.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Great job Macca. Thanks.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Another excellent review from Lavan - search his Fifa 200? review from some years ago for a truly gut busting no holds barred example.

I like the last section where he really wants to give it a failing grade, cause that's just about how everyone feels - the gameplay saves a truly shambolic offering from Konami. If Fifa continues to improve I can see Winning Eleven going the way of the dodo as I'm not sure Konami really get how angry people are this year about the game.

At least I've got a powerful enough PC to run the PC version.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dougb wrote:Another excellent review from Lavan - search his Fifa 200? review from some years ago for a truly gut busting no holds barred example.

I like the last section where he really wants to give it a failing grade, cause that's just about how everyone feels - the gameplay saves a truly shambolic offering from Konami. If Fifa continues to improve I can see Winning Eleven going the way of the dodo as I'm not sure Konami really get how angry people are this year about the game.

At least I've got a powerful enough PC to run the PC version.

Best wishes,

Doug
I think they understand the displeasure but I don't know if they will do anything about it.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Couldn't you write this review last week as my copy is set to arrive soon? :wink:

In any case well written, I was hoping that the patch would fix some of the frame rate issues but I guess Konami will keep us all waiting.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Excellent review Macca. I've been enjoying the PC version quite a bit even though I agree with your review. The problem for now is i'm actually enjoying FIFA08 on the 360 more.

And as JRod mentioned I don't know if they can fix all that's wrong with the current games engine as some of their choices maybe hard to undo. We shall see in next years edition.

The one striking improvement is the CPU's offensive AI as it's just a joy to watch. I just love watching them trying to find and make space in front of the goal. Incredible stuff.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Absolutely nailed - this should be the definitive review of the train wreck that is PES 2008. Sadly I also couldn't agree more with Lavan's sentiment that you feel compelled to keep playing PES until FIFA adds some difference between players and sides. Assuming they can do that for next year it's game over for Konami on next-gen.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Blublub wrote:Absolutely nailed - this should be the definitive review of the train wreck that is PES 2008. Sadly I also couldn't agree more with Lavan's sentiment that you feel compelled to keep playing PES until FIFA adds some difference between players and sides. Assuming they can do that for next year it's game over for Konami on next-gen.
The only thing that gives me hope is that Seabass said that he's not happy with PES2008 and he has high hopes of where this next-gen game will be. So it could be that the suits at Konami said release the damn thing, we'll worry about next year.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Perfect example of what happens when you fall asleep at the wheel... You crash.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Based on the demo, I'm not getting this for the 360 when it comes out. I'm more than happy with FIFA.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I'm not holding my breath on anything changing for the N.American release, Konami just don't seem to give a crap.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Excellent review Macca.

Train wreck and all, I'll probably still pick this up for 360 in February to play some master league. Would get FIFA, but for me the most satisfying part of ML is acquiring new players, and if they all play the same on the field there's no fun in that in FIFA.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Great read Macca, thanks. Its a shame this game hasn't translated over to the next gen so well.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Boring Boring Macca. :D
I kid, I kid.

Mac, here's the thing. If PES would just have taken WE 9/10 gameplay and spent all that time on graphics, some tweaking and adding more users options. Like unlimited custom edited leagues, custom cup and tournament structure that would be applied to ML, NO ONE WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED.

That's what I don't get about Konami. PES 360 was pretty bad. Now they do more to hurt their game then help it.

I just don't get this company.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]