Codies announce Race Driver: GRID

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Codies announce Race Driver: GRID

Post by Naples39 »

"Race Driver: GRID is all about the race." said Gavin Raeburn, Executive Producer at Codemasters Studios. "The next iteration of our DiRT engine combined with a decade of experience in developing driving games enables us to put the player at the centre of the action like never before. Damage, packed grids, intelligent opposition and unprecedented race day atmosphere will combine to deliver an experience like no other.
Says Ralph Fulton, Chief Game Designer. "GRID focuses on everything that happens between the start grid and the chequered flag: the drama, the rivalries, the aggression and the crashes. This is not a game about collecting cars or spending all of your time in the front-end tuning suspension settings or designing liveries. We want to make racing exciting again."
GRID takes place across three continents, with official track races in Europe, street races in the U.S., and night races through the streets and mountain roads of Japan.
As someone who hates burning time tweaking setups in racing games, I am really looking forward to this one. Next summer for 360, PS3 and PC.

Linkage
Last edited by Naples39 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Only official races on European tracks? No real tracks in the U.S. or Japan?

Ugh. The Codies traditionally have been so good about getting licensed tracks from around the world.

I just read the Kotaku link. Double-ugh:

>>>In Europe, race gamers will compete on the greatest official tracks in prestige Marques including Aston Martin, Koenigsegg and Pagani.

Iconic cities across the U.S. - including San Francisco, Washington DC and Detroit and each with their own atmosphere and events - play hosts to diverse street races. Here, high-performance V8 muscle cars set the pace in aggressive closely fought pack competitions.

In the Far East, Japanese racing culture sets the tone where night races, including Drift racing, take drivers through neon illuminated cities and to outlying mountain roads. There is also the opportunity to compete in races that operate on the fringes of legality in the back streets and industrial areas of Yokohama.<<<

Supercars like Paganis? V8 muscle cars on unlicensed street courses? Drifting in illegal areas of Yokohama?

Where are Formula Fords? Where are F3 cars? Where are touring cars? Where are Caterhams? Where are prototypes? Where are the f*cking race cars?

This sounds a hell of a lot more like PGR and Need For Speed than TOCA. The great sellout continues for the Codies. :x

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wpw721
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by wpw721 »

pk500 wrote:Only official races on European tracks? No real tracks in the U.S. or Japan?

Ugh. The Codies traditionally have been so good about getting licensed tracks from around the world.

I just read the Kotaku link. Double-ugh:

>>>In Europe, race gamers will compete on the greatest official tracks in prestige Marques including Aston Martin, Koenigsegg and Pagani.

Iconic cities across the U.S. - including San Francisco, Washington DC and Detroit and each with their own atmosphere and events - play hosts to diverse street races. Here, high-performance V8 muscle cars set the pace in aggressive closely fought pack competitions.

In the Far East, Japanese racing culture sets the tone where night races, including Drift racing, take drivers through neon illuminated cities and to outlying mountain roads. There is also the opportunity to compete in races that operate on the fringes of legality in the back streets and industrial areas of Yokohama.<<<

Supercars like Paganis? V8 muscle cars on unlicensed street courses? Drifting in illegal areas of Yokohama?

Sounds a hell of a lot more like PGR and Need For Speed than TOCA. :x
Take care,
PK
I agree TOCA needs to be a game that simulates real racing series with full fields of competitors. The 360 already has more than enough racers with fantasy tracks and 8 AI oponents. If TOCA tries to compete with games like Forza 2 it will get lost in the shuffle.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

You make good points PK. It almost sounds as if this game will be redundant with PGR.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:You make good points PK. It almost sounds as if this game will be redundant with PGR.
I understand the Codies' need to make money, but I appreciated them much more as a publisher/developer that filled a sorely lacking niche in console gaming -- racing sims with real race cars on real tracks.

It appears that niche didn't earn enough dough for the Codies, so they're moving in more of an arcadish direction. But can the Codies compete with EA and Microsoft in the relaxed sim-arcade genre?

I have my doubts, especially from a marketing and PR standpoint.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Kruza
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Kruza »

I favor circuit racing over street racing myself. Street racing can be cool depending on the track designs and such, but reading the news of this game only having European racing circuits kind of disturbs me. What about non-European circuits like Kyalami, Road America, and Laguna Seca? Do these tracks get lost in the shuffle now?

Love the inclusion of super cars. But I don't like the idea of not having any race cars at all. What's up with touring cars like the Opel Astra, Audi R8 and the Mercedes-Benz CLK from the DTM? Or what about those race cars that particpate in the 24-hour race at LeMans? I'm going to miss racing in all these fun machines. Bah, V8s are nothing but Australian NASCARs to me, but most of the circuits and street tracks from that series are okay. Racing in Japanese drift cars could be a lot of fun, but I can already see that it's going to be hell online since many people won't be able to control those lightweight, high-powered RWD beasts.

Kruza

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Kruza wrote:I favor circuit racing over street racing myself. Street racing can be cool depending on the track designs and such, but reading the news of this game only having European racing circuits kind of disturbs me. What about non-European circuits like Kyalami, Road America, and Laguna Seca? Do these tracks get lost in the shuffle now?

Love the inclusion of super cars. But I don't like the idea of not having any race cars at all. What's up with touring cars like the Opel Astra, Audi R8 and the Mercedes-Benz CLK from the DTM? Or what about those race cars that particpate in the 24-hour race at LeMans? I'm going to miss racing in all these fun machines. Bah, V8s are nothing but Australian NASCARs to me, but most of the circuits and street tracks from that series are okay. Racing in Japanese drift cars could be a lot of fun, but I can already see that it's going to be hell online since many people won't be able to control those lightweight, high-powered RWD beasts.

Kruza
Very well said, Kruza. Agree completely.

I just find it so odd that the Codies had every track from the Aussie V8 Supercar championship licensed and present in TOCA 3 but are dropping those for this game, including Symmons Plains, the site of one of the most legendary TOCA 3 DSP Poker Night races ever. And one of the most enjoyable races I ever did was our 90-minute race at Bathurst.

You're also right about Laguna, Kyalami and the Road.

This reeks of a sellout. Not surprising, since the Codies took the Colin McRae series in more of an arcadish direction with DIRT, too.

Take care,
PK

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

They might have sold out but they might also see the writing on the wall...arcade racers sell. Real racing doesn't.

However I think the lure of Race Driver was the race anything on almost any track. A racing game with DiRTs graphics and Tocas gameplay would have been a dream.

Plus I'm tired of street racing. That's all their is on anymore. From Need for Speed, to PGR to this its all about production cars.

Sad thing is for the consoles there is no really good circuit/track racing title.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod is right, arcade racing games sell and PK hit the nail on the head. This is just going to be a slightly more sim racing version of PGR4.

It's a bummer but they've been moving in this direction since 2003 with the Race Driver series. I'll still buy it as racing games are my favorite genre and Codies at least has good AI in their racing games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm not outraged, just disappointed, because in the last year I've discovered PC racing as a superb alternative for virtual sim racing. Late to that party, I know! :)

But I'd be PISSED if I still was a console-only gamer, especially since I've been a Codies' pimp and lover since the original Colin McRae Rally and TOCA Touring Car Championship sims on the PlayStation back in the late 90s.

What makes this transition more jarring was that TOCA 3, the most recent Codies' circuit racing game, was the Holy Grail of pure racing games on consoles. The Codies dropped the stupid story mode from Race Driver and loaded up on licensed tracks and real race cars, with very good physics and AI for a console, with TOCA 3.

And now this. It's almost like a trap door has been sprung.

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'll join the chorus of dissapointment. Compared to the XBox, the 360 has been an enormous letdown. A next gen version of TOCA has been at the top of my wish list, but now I'm not sure if I can expect a no brainer like a true TOCA 4 any time soon.

I've held on to Forza since it is about the only option for race cars on real tracks, even though the AI sucks. But clearly no publishers think any non NASCAR circuit racing will sell.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I see the Codies' latest PR blitz has really fired up DSPers for this bastardization of the Race Driver series...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Dave wrote:I see the Codies' latest PR blitz has really fired up DSPers for this bastardization of the Race Driver series...
I enjoy the sarcasm...but theres a game coming?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:I see the Codies' latest PR blitz has really fired up DSPers for this bastardization of the Race Driver series...
.... and the Race Driver Series is a bastardization of the once mighty Toca Series. :(

wpw721
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by wpw721 »

Rodster wrote:
.... and the Race Driver Series is a bastardization of the once mighty Toca Series. :(
Amen

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Not so sure I like the direction of this series either, but check out this trailer...it's been a while since I've done a double take while looking at a game video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32013.html

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Not so sure I like the direction of this series either, but check out this trailer...it's been a while since I've done a double take while looking at a game video.

The gameplay looks utterly ridiculous, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

And why do console game developers insist on putting an Endust-like shine on their car bodies? I've stood within 2 feet of F1 cars at Indianapolis and prototypes at Watkins Glen, and they're not that shiny, even before they run on track.

Take care,
PK

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:
fanatic wrote:Not so sure I like the direction of this series either, but check out this trailer...it's been a while since I've done a double take while looking at a game video.

The gameplay looks utterly ridiculous, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

And why do console game developers insist on putting an Endust-like shine on their car bodies? I've stood within 2 feet of F1 cars at Indianapolis and prototypes at Watkins Glen, and they're not that shiny, even before they run on track.

Take care,
PK
Come on, that mid-air collision between two cars wasn't sim enough for you? :D

Seriously though, I don't doubt that this game is leaning towards the flashy arcade side, but just thought that in terms of visuals, it's a sight to see. Let's hope the gameplay stacks up.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Other than the sliding it looks okay I guess. I too don't like the more arcadey approach of Codies recently, but it might still be challenging enough for me. I'm hoping that sliding is only for a certain type of car though, because if you can slide like that in every race with every car that is certainly a gamekiller for me.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Looks good to me and I liked Dirt alot so I am looking forward to it.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

<<< would like to have DiRT's GRiD's graphics in a TOCA game. :)
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Sold! I'll be picking this one up within 10 minutes of it hitting the shelves.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:Sold! I'll be picking this one up within 10 minutes of it hitting the shelves.
And be selling it on ebay 10 minutes after putting it in your machine. The true Tjung experience.

But I'm with ya...I'm there. Looks tight as hell.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote: The gameplay looks utterly ridiculous, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Take care,
PK
I'm curious what looks ridiculous to you. W ould you care to specify? Remember, they have decided to go with three distinct styles of racing in the three regions, specifically drift racing in the Japan section and so-called 'street racing' in the US section, whatever that means.

Now, for my money I will be interested almost entirely in the European section of the game which will have regular old racing on real racing circuits, including at least a handful of open-wheeled car disciplines. The drift stuff I may never even look at, and the street stuff may be a nice change of pace.

What I saw in the short video included a shot or two of open-wheeled racing, a shot or two of European style stock car racing, and a lot of shots of realistic looking Japanese style drift racing, which is not to my taste at all, but certainly is a very real type of thing. There were also a few over the top bits of what I am guessing is the American street racing, including some small jumps and zany collisions. That may not be very 'hard core,' but it could be a lot of fun with the gang online, probably a lot more fun for most guys than the Lotus 49s or some of the tougher to handle GT cars from ToCA3. Notable to me was a shot of the Eurpean style stock car racing that had something like 20 cars in the shot. We don't have any racers on 360 that bother to try that sort of thing except the MotoGP games. The environments looked outstanding, too.

Yes, I am disappointed that they are not making a ToCA IV with an omnibus of road racing disciplines at the core of it, but I am nonetheless very much looking forward to the European section of this game, and hoping that they will have a decently functional online 'race weekend' setup available including practice and qualifying so I can punish everyone with my non-ADD compliant half-hour races.

[Actually, I wish they would set it up like they did the IndyCar game where one could jump on and off the track in practice mode once in the lobby, so that I could set up a 10 or 15 minute practice session and not have to wait for everyone to show up before starting it off, and also do the same for qualifying if we're not doing one-lap qualifying. I know that's not going to happen, so i know I will be disappointed in some areas, but the 360 is a dead zone when it comes to reasonably realistic racing systems online, so this should fit the bill nicely if they don't hopelessly screw it up.]

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Zeppo wrote:to me was a shot of the Eurpean style stock car racing that had something like 20 cars in the shot. We don't have any racers on 360 that bother to try that sort of thing except the MotoGP games....

Yes, I am disappointed that they are not making a ToCA IV with an omnibus of road racing disciplines at the core of it, but I am nonetheless very much looking forward to the European section of this game, and hoping that they will have a decently functional online 'race weekend' setup available including practice and qualifying so I can punish everyone with my non-ADD compliant half-hour races.
Agreed 100%.