Rock Band - Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yes indeed, welcome to the club Dan!

We play RB2 almost every night, kids included!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Naples39 wrote:
webdanzer wrote:When I upgrade, I'm probably going to go for the RB2 kit with the added Cymbal pads.
Have you heard anything about cymbal availability? I can't find anything. :x
I'm going to answer you in another thread, Naples. :)

Gamestop now has them showing up mid November.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Someone over at OS was lucky enough to pick up the cymbals at Best Buy today in Hadley, MA. Check out page 177 of the Rock Band Impressions.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sunday is the supposed release dates of the cymbals. They retail for $29.99 and they come two to a pack.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

sportdan30 wrote:Sunday is the supposed release dates of the cymbals. They retail for $29.99 and they come two to a pack.
Thanks for the info! Definitely picking up a two-pack, but no need for 3 even though the drum set can accomodate that many.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Naples39 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Sunday is the supposed release dates of the cymbals. They retail for $29.99 and they come two to a pack.
Thanks for the info! Definitely picking up a two-pack, but no need for 3 even though the drum set can accomodate that many.
Just wandered in to Best Buy on the way this afternoon after work. I inquired about the cymbal pack, and the rep said he had the official Harmonix ones in the back. Asked if I wanted to see them, and I said sure. I asked him what the difference was between these and the Mad Katz ones and he said lets go check the computer. I said that's alright, I'll just take these. I looked on the back and lo and behold they were the Mad Katz cymbal double pack. Will try and set them up this evening.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
Just wandered in to Best Buy on the way this afternoon after work. I inquired about the cymbal pack, and the rep said he had the official Harmonix ones in the back. Asked if I wanted to see them, and I said sure. I asked him what the difference was between these and the Mad Katz ones and he said lets go check the computer. I said that's alright, I'll just take these. I looked on the back and lo and behold they were the Mad Katz cymbal double pack. Will try and set them up this evening.
I don't think Harmonix has a cymbal pack. I believe Mad Katz has the exclusive. Definitely would like some impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpkGatxC3k
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Installation was a bit more difficult than I thought. I have it set up and now I'm trying to figure out how to use them, or shall I say where I use them in a song.

On a more serious note, I need a frickin' drum throne. My back is killing me playing on a plush leather couch.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I really don't see where you would use those cymbals in a song as they already make the sound when you hit the far drum pads.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:I really don't see where you would use those cymbals in a song as they already make the sound when you hit the far drum pads.
That's what I'm trying to figure out myself. Hopefully, I didn't waste $30

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

The fact that I can transfer RB1 songs (from my buddy's copy) to RB2 for only a few bucks might tip the scales towards RB2 (over GH) for me. That's a lot of great songs, which is what it's all about. But I'm still going to wait, just because the GH drums and guitar seem to have more potential.

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

Man, I looked at my Best Buy and didn't see jack today...I guess tomorrow I'll look for the youngest toadie and ask them if they have the cymbals in the back.

That being said, I'm all for the "authentic" experience. I was able to jam on my sister's real drum kit this past summer solely from my 'Rock Band' knowledge to several songs, which was cool. Also, the cymbal "sounds" work in freestyle mode if you're interested...in game they are just duplicate pads for the colored notes (yellow, blue, and green).

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

sportdan30 wrote:Installation was a bit more difficult than I thought. I have it set up and now I'm trying to figure out how to use them, or shall I say where I use them in a song.

On a more serious note, I need a frickin' drum throne. My back is killing me playing on a plush leather couch.
They don't make a different sound, they just double as the drum pad you would normally use. They just are better at simulating the use of a high-hat, crash or ride cymbal.

You could either use the cymbal or the pad that you used when you didn't have them hooked up. Hope that makes sense.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Well.. I don't play a real drum set so for me they are a waste of money.

:wink:

What's that Rock Bank drum set that costs $300 I saw at BB? Now that's freaking crazy!!!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

MizzouRah wrote:Well.. I don't play a real drum set so for me they are a waste of money.

:wink:

What's that Rock Bank drum set that costs $300 I saw at BB? Now that's freaking crazy!!!
That's a real electronic drum set that you can take the RB 'brain' out of, and insert a real drum brain. They're doing an authentic guitar, as well. Maplewood neck, the whole nine. People are nuts for paying that much for a video game accessory, but whatever...it's their money.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Yeah, that's no good. I took an usused office desk chair and took off the arms and back and used that. It's just a seat, like a drum throne.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Teal wrote: That's a real electronic drum set that you can take the RB 'brain' out of, and insert a real drum brain. They're doing an authentic guitar, as well. Maplewood neck, the whole nine. People are nuts for paying that much for a video game accessory, but whatever...it's their money.
Ahhh.. ok that makes sense.. but yes.. too much $$$ for my income. :)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Went to Best Buy at lunch to check out all the latest Rock Band / GH stuff...
My quick impressions were that the new RB2 drums seem improved over the 1st set. Much better bounce and a little quieter. I think you will still need a "mod" those to make them quiet enough for certain situations. The GHWT drums seemed nice enough...also nice and bouncy and seemed a little better quality that the RB2 ones. Not sure how useful the cymbals will be though. I think I prefer 4 drums (RB) to just 3 with 2 cymbals.

I was amazed at all the after market stuff that Best Buy now sells for the RB and GH games now. They had all kinds of drum mod kits, after market wireless guitars and accessories up the ying yang. One thing that really caught my eye was a replacement drum pedal for RB. It was made by Blockhead / Rhythm Maker and you can see it here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8007399851
It's only $29 and looks to be very heavy duty and it even had a spring like a real bass pedal. Seems like this would be a HUGE upgrade over the pedal that came with the RB1 drums. Anyone try this?

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

Man, I really want those cymbals for RB2!

Went back to Best Buy, had the guy check, and he said they just sold the last one. I then waltz over to Gamestop to pick up my 'Fallout 3' copy and they are completely clueless as to when they are coming out.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

JohnnytheSkin wrote:Man, I really want those cymbals for RB2!

Went back to Best Buy, had the guy check, and he said they just sold the last one. I then waltz over to Gamestop to pick up my 'Fallout 3' copy and they are completely clueless as to when they are coming out.
I'm thinking about returning mine. They look cool and the set up looks much nicer, but I'm pretty accustomed to playing with just the four drum pads now.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

sportdan30 wrote:
JohnnytheSkin wrote:Man, I really want those cymbals for RB2!

I'm thinking about returning mine. They look cool and the set up looks much nicer, but I'm pretty accustomed to playing with just the four drum pads now.
There are rumors that they just added the cymbals on as an afterthought when they found out GHWT was coming out with cymbals.

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

JackB1 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
There are rumors that they just added the cymbals on as an afterthought when they found out GHWT was coming out with cymbals.
It doesn't matter...they'll make things feel more "authentic", and like I said, the fact that I was able to jam on a real drum set solely from Rock Band is pretty darn cool.

Gah! I have an online pre-order yet no one has a firm date! Might have to check another Best Buy tomorrow.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

JackB1 wrote:It was made by Blockhead / Rhythm Maker and you can see it here:
It's only $29 and looks to be very heavy duty and it even had a spring like a real bass pedal. Seems like this would be a HUGE upgrade over the pedal that came with the RB1 drums. Anyone try this?
I was hoping someone would mass produce a better foot pedal so I don't have to custom make one. This looks promising, I might pick it up and give it a shot.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:
I was amazed at all the after market stuff that Best Buy now sells for the RB and GH games now. They had all kinds of drum mod kits, after market wireless guitars and accessories up the ying yang. One thing that really caught my eye was a replacement drum pedal for RB. It was made by Blockhead / Rhythm Maker and you can see it here:
Jack, you're a GOD for posting this!!! I had no idea and this looks like it might absolutely save my distain for the GH drum kit!!!!!!

Going to pick one up right now. Thanks SO much!!!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Spooky wrote:
Jack, you're a GOD for posting this!!! I had no idea and this looks like it might absolutely save my distain for the GH drum kit!!!!!!

Going to pick one up right now. Thanks SO much!!!
Glad to help! Just let us know how it works once you try it out. I might pick one up to use with my RB1 drums, even though my own personal mod is holding up well. I am hoping the spring mechanism gives a some "bounce back".