OT: Uncharted (PS3)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Uncharted (PS3)

Post by Blublub »

This is definitely not my genre, but three hours in I can say it's a damned fun little game. Graphics are drop-dead spectacular - I haven't seen Assassin's Creed in person, but I would imagine they are in that league. Voice acting and cut scenes are surprisingly good considering there's a lot of potential to slip into cheese - so far it's mostly avoided that.

If you're in to this sort of thing I can imagine it could get annoying that it kinda helps you along with frequent and more obvious hints - nothing gets too frustrating (which is what makes it just right for folks like me who have lost patience in our old age).

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

How'd you get your hands on it blub?

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Picked it up at EB over lunch today.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

This is a bit OT, but here in Delaware there are no EBs anymore. All the local EB stores have had their signs taken down and replaced with GameStop signs.

I don't understand why they would spend money doing that when both stores are owned by the same company. Maybe the EB brand is going to be retired all over the country eventually.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT: Uncharted (PS3)

Post by btmmayor »

Blublub wrote:This is definitely not my genre, but three hours in I can say it's a damned fun little game. Graphics are drop-dead spectacular - I haven't seen Assassin's Creed in person, but I would imagine they are in that league. Voice acting and cut scenes are surprisingly good considering there's a lot of potential to slip into cheese - so far it's mostly avoided that.

If you're in to this sort of thing I can imagine it could get annoying that it kinda helps you along with frequent and more obvious hints - nothing gets too frustrating (which is what makes it just right for folks like me who have lost patience in our old age).
I'm only about three hours in myself but I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and story. This is a game that truly feels as if you are on some sort of epic Indiana Jones adventure. I want to keep playing just to see what happens next.

It also feels very fresh because I just played through Ratchet and Clank and COD4 which were just retreads of the same old thing for me. Its nice to play a new franchise with a little different approach.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Feanor wrote:This is a bit OT, but here in Delaware there are no EBs anymore. All the local EB stores have had their signs taken down and replaced with GameStop signs.

I don't understand why they would spend money doing that when both stores are owned by the same company. Maybe the EB brand is going to be retired all over the country eventually.
You're right, actually mine is a Gamestop now as well - no doubt it will be a few years before I stop referring to it as EB.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Sorry about that blub, for some reason i had the live date as next week. You must have thought i was a moron when i asked you how you got it.

Anyway, grabbed it today and only played through the movie and a few minutes into the first level. Where i was only "mehh" with the demo, i'm really enjoying it so far. Between this and AC i should be able to keep myself busy for quite a while.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Best-looking console game according to some reviews.

But as a single-player experience, it seems more a rental than a purchase.

Naughty Dog refined Jak and Dakster a lot over the life of the PS2, including having an online component so there's hope for the future with a good engine.

People think ND has shown big improvement between Resistance and this game alone.

Would like to see a online coop mode, since this game has a lot of shooter elements. But what would be innovative is a coop mode that enhances the platform aspects.

Could be tough if this doesn't sell well. LucasArts is making a high-profile version of Indy next year and Tomb Raider is always going to keep releasing -- some call Uncharted "Dude Raider."

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I had all intentions of renting this game. So I decided to buy it instead and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It's like an interactive movie. I found myself playing Tomb Raider Legend 3-4 times before I returned it back to Blockbluster.

I can see playing this game on all difficulty levels numerous times. A sleeper hit for sure.

b_assassin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by b_assassin »

I just finished Uncharted tonight, and wow, what a great game. Incredible visuals, solid platforming and gunplay, plus a decent story with likable characters, just goodness all around.

I did get a little frustrated in a few parts where they throw lots of enemies at you, but I managed to get through those segments after a some cursing (and patience). The context sensitive button presses in some of the cut scenes did catch me off guard. They were so random and infrequent that they didn't really make sense even being there.

Aside from these very minor issues, Uncharted is one of the most fun and well executed games on the PS3 right now.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With my 360 out for a month, I'll be playing more PS3 titles and I tried the demo yesterday. Gorgeous graphics, interesting story and I like the cover system in this game when shooting. At times it does seem that a lot of bad guys come at you and it takes more than a shot to kill them unless you aim at their head. This is based on the basic pistol I had as I didn't get any higher weaponry. I had a little tough time adjusting the sixaxis when throwing grenades but otherwise, I 'll be getting the game tonight.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I'm still slogging through at about halfway. I suck at these things so have to die a thousand deaths before advancing. Still, I can't wait to get back in for more. Some of the levels are insanely fun and utilize the great graphics - like the falling trees when you're shooting the ATVs.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Just finished it up last night. What a fantastic ride. After being disapointed in almost every video game I've picked up the last few weeks this came out of nowhere.

Nathan Drake may well be my favorite video game character of all time. Its so refreshing to play a game where the hero isn't some juiced up, bald badass space marine. The two main characters are human, warm and very endearing. I really did care what happened to them as the game progressed.

The gameplay is fun, but its the writing, acting and game dialogue that really did it for me. Its just so well done. Uncharted is as close as I've come to "playing a movie" which is a term thats been thrown around in the video game industry a little too liberally.

The guys and girls at Naughty Dog really nailed what makes video gaming fun in my book. I hope this game sells so that we get a sequel. Something tells me though that a game with an expertly crafted story, characters and dialogue won't win out with the younger crowd looking for the blood spilling space marine all the while mashing buttons at the first sign of a cutscene.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I really enjoyed the demo for this game and it's on my Christmas list. I look forward to playing the full version.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

btmmayor wrote:Just finished it up last night. What a fantastic ride. After being disapointed in almost every video game I've picked up the last few weeks this came out of nowhere.

Nathan Drake may well be my favorite video game character of all time. Its so refreshing to play a game where the hero isn't some juiced up, bald badass space marine. The two main characters are human, warm and very endearing. I really did care what happened to them as the game progressed.

The gameplay is fun, but its the writing, acting and game dialogue that really did it for me. Its just so well done. Uncharted is as close as I've come to "playing a movie" which is a term thats been thrown around in the video game industry a little too liberally.

The guys and girls at Naughty Dog really nailed what makes video gaming fun in my book. I hope this game sells so that we get a sequel. Something tells me though that a game with an expertly crafted story, characters and dialogue won't win out with the younger crowd looking for the blood spilling space marine all the while mashing buttons at the first sign of a cutscene.
The game was great for me as well. The only downside was it was a little on the short side.(i didn't want it to end) But so true, it is like a movie my kids would just sit and watch it like if it was a movie. Can't wait for a sequel

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I would add probably game of the year for the PS3. I haven't finished the game yet but I want to add that the AI is one of the best I've seen in this genre. I was hesitant to buy the game when people would compare it to 'Tomb Raider', on the contrary Lara croft's game and 'Indiana Jones' should have been everything that "Uncharted' brings to us. From the visual to the story line and impecable gameplay. My only gripe is that the bad guys come in bunches at time.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

I got it from Gamefly and this is one I'm going to finish. Good job Naughty Dog!

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Finished this one last night and boy, what a fun ride. As others have said, great story line, fun gameplay, interesting characters, good stuff.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

RallyMonkey wrote:Finished this one last night and boy, what a fun ride. As others have said, great story line, fun gameplay, interesting characters, good stuff.
Yeah an excellent game. I didn't want it to end. Can't wait for the sequel

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Blublub wrote:I suck at these things so have to die a thousand deaths before advancing. Still, I can't wait to get back in for more.
OK, I'm not the only one then :D

I love it. I had high expectations coming in and after a couple hours last night I'm not disappointed one bit.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Sold only 117k in November, while the PS3 versions of Assassin's Creed and COD4 sold around 400k.

Really tough when so many other games with big marketing budgets are released at the same time.

Oh well they made the engine so they could use it for sequels or other games.

Imagine using these graphics for a licensed Indiana Jones type of game or Tomb Raider.

But Lucas Games is making their own Indy game.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I think sales will increase over the next couple weeks on this game. I'm sure many people will be getting it for Christmas. Then, when people upgrade from the PS2 to the PS3, this game will be most likely be marked down and will be a recommended buy just from word of mouth and reviews.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just started playing this game after an hour and half session with Ratchet and Clank. Wow, this game is beautiful. The characters are great so far, and while the gameplay is linear, it's just a fun a** adventure.

So far, two great games on the PS3 besides MLB The Show in two days. I couldn't be happier.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Bought this game last Saturday and I'm loving it.

Pretty challenging but fun as hell. In my case, I really have attack from afar on those open field battles with the bad guys. They just don't go down easily.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

This is pretty much the perfect action game for my tastes since I prefer my action games with some puzzles and ICO-esque platforming/exploration thrown in. I don't mind that it's short because they don't use ways to artificially increase the length (infrequent save spots, backtracking, etc.). I love the cover system. It's cheesy that you have to shoot guys 2-4 times, but I like the incentive to get headshots. The graphics are amazing and the presentation is outstanding.

I'm going to have this finished by early next week so if someone is interested in a trade/used purchase just PM me.