PES 2008 PS3 Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PES 2008 PS3 Impressions

Post by Blublub »

My import finally arrived, and all I can say is...

Edit: I dunno, yet...
Last edited by Blublub on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

i heard that the ps3 was worse than the 360, especially online.
XBL Gamertag: St Cloud

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Okay, I've calmed down now. It's horrid out of the box, but with a few settings changes it's just mildly disappointing. You definitely have to install the data to the HD - otherwise the framerate will make you sick. The default camera view is also pretty terrible - switching to the normal "wide" mode surprisingly plays a lot smoother. I think my other mistake was to play the first match with Barca against a random Ligue 1 opponent on Normal. Nearly everyone on Barca could run the length of the pitch only to have every shot deflected by the keeper. Shots were something like 27-1 yet the score was only 1-0.

For my second match I took Palermo with the ML guys against Helsingborgs. Much, much better. Nice close match throughout with Larsson causing problems the whole time. It also reminded me how much more variability there is than in FIFA with some tense goalmouth scrambles.

There is a lot of improvement in some areas, so retracting my initial post until I get a few more games in.

Edit: yes, and online is apparently pretty much broken on the PS3 version. In fact, you get a message when logging in that Konami is aware of the problems and working on a fix.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Across the board the PS3 version scored lower in all of the reviews when compared to the 360 version. But your right Blub even on the PC it's taken a few steps back.

It's almost like Konami purposely sabotaged their own game. If Konami pulls the same effort next year and EA ups their game again then FIFA will be the new kings of simulation football. Who would have thought we would have been saying this just a few years ago when FIFA was a laughing stock in videogame football.

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

How many leagues did we have with PE2007?

I think it will take some getting used to....I would rather have a game that plays a little faster than one where the ball floats on air and the players move as if in quicksand.

All in all, I will wait to see how PE2008 turns out on the 360...

in the meantime, can we get our DSP PE2007 league going again?

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

Blub....how is the game going now?

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Cloud, I'm still not real happy, but it does play a way better game overall than FIFA, so looks like I'm stuck with it. Installing to the HD, turning off commentary and stadium effects mostly eliminates slowdown. My biggest remaining gripes are the strange deflection physics, inability to change ML kits, and lack of editing modes.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Blublub wrote:Cloud, I'm still not real happy, but it does play a way better game overall than FIFA
So I'm assuming the retail version is a TON better than the X360 demo? That's good to hear because FIFA 08 compared to the PES demo is no contest IMO.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Leeb, actually the PS3 version is a step below the 360 demo (framerate issues and the weird deflection physics that don't appear in the demo). To each his own, but I have a hard time going back to FIFA even with all the PES problems. Your mileage may vary greatly.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Blublub wrote:You definitely have to install the data to the HD - otherwise the framerate will make you sick.
How much difference does it make, Blub? I was in my local Virgin Megastore the other day and I assume they hadn't done that, because it was so choppy that I couldn't watch for any longer than a minute without feeling ill.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

There's a demo of the Winning Eleven PS3 Japanese release available - apparently some of the issues may have been addressed. Hopefully they may have a PS3 and Xbox360 patch relatively soon.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Thanks for the heads-up Doug, I'll have to check that and see if it's any different. Simo, it does make a considerable difference. I don't really have any slowdown during gameplay, even on corners. While it does help somewhat with replay jerkiness, they are still pretty bad. But, I'd definitely pass on the PS3 version if you have the choice. I would have too were it not for it being region-free.

Damn, I'll be pretty steamed if they fix the problems in the Japanese version and I'm stuck with a $90 vomit machine with 500 mph deflections ;(

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thanks for the update Blub, I was thinking about importing the sucker too, but I guess I'll wait for the 360 version.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

My PS3 copy finally arrived (thank you Canadian customs) so I picked up a PS3 (and since I felt like I didn't spend enough today I also bought Cod4...for the 360, of course).

I've only played two matches - won 2-1 Liverpool vs. Derby County and then a 1-0 overtime thriller as Valencia vs. Real, David Villa with a 25 yard stunner into the top corner.

I haven't yet installed the game to the HD (since I don't know how yet) but right out of the box the frame-rate ON THE REPLAYS AND CUT-SCENES are slow as cold molasses. If I had to guestimate I'd say...5 frames per second!?! They're horrid which is a shame because the overall quality of the replays (views shown, timeliness, and so on) are better than FIFAs.

From the gameplay angles I haven't experienced any slowdown EXCEPT for when a previously injured player comes back on and the game does a Picture-in-Picture view of him running on - then it chuggs for a few seconds.

I've been playing the PS2 version on and off for a week so the game speed didn't freak me out completely but it is bloody fast. I also agree with dougb's comments from the PC impressions thread - for some reason all of the sidebacks are set to rush up often leaving massive gaps for you to exploit if you're able.

Blub,
Do you have to create a UK/Euro PSN account to play this (or try to play this) online?

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Macca, I haven't figured out the online bit yet. I assume you are correct. I entered in the code that came with the game but it also asks for a password, which I would imagine you get from registering online, no doubt with a Euro address. Let me know if you sort it out. However, I'm in no real hurry to give online a try considering all the problems I've read about.

And Doug, having read what is involved to set up a Japanese PS account, I'm not sure if I'm up to the task. The process was detailed in a link from the Winning Eleven Next Gen blog page, but that site is totally down at the moment. If someone jumps through the hoops I'd love to hear impressions of the WE demo.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Feeling a bit sheepish here but...could someone tell me how I go about doing a 'full install' of a game so it runs off the HD? I got the 80gb PS3.

Cheers.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

It's somewhere in the PES options - sorry I don't have it in front of me and can't remember exactly what it is called. You still need the disc in to play but it caches something like 2 GB to the HD.

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

Wow, strange you have to install to the HD to get a good gaming experience.....I have not even thought about getting a PS3... I probably will only get one if BluRay wins the war against HD DVD...otherwise I will stick with a 360 and a Wii

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

No, it's just sloppy programming. Unfortunately there's a lot of that about by third parties on the PS3, and apparently Sony isn't a whole lot of help. I'm just grateful they do have that cache ability as if used properly it's fantastic, and even in cases where it's not, it leaves the door open for possible patches.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Macca, now that I've had a chance to check - from within PES, go to "System Settings" and choose the final option on the list "Install."

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I think I've now officially had it. I suspected as much early on, but can pretty easily confirm that the CPU is a cheating bag of #$^&.

I'm 1-3-3 with the Yellow Submarine in the Master League. In seven matches I've scored a total of 2 goals and conceded 3. I'm worried a bit about the lack of scoring, but nothing critical yet. Then I face international powerhouses Hammersby (if you're a fan of Scandinavian sides you'll love this year's PES - Division 2 of the ML is virtually nothing but).

Right away I'm dominating the run of play as never before. They are leaving entire flanks undefended and I score the first goal off a length-of-the-pitch run with a center-back. I'm thinking I'm in for a real walk in the park. They kick off, my defenders have it and they rush a forward ahead when he does a shirt grab, dispossess the defender, and shoots from range. My keeper doesn't so much as flinch. 1-1. Fast forward a few minutes. I score a brilliant goal by Riquelme on a 30m free kick (it goes through the tiniest space in the wall and hooks into the corner - classic stuff I never could do before). I continue to dominate the run of play - they still have only one shot - so I figure I should be safe. Just to be sure I change to a totally defensive 5-4-1 with corresponding player changes.

Not more than a minute in they turn into a raging attacking monster and start peppering balls into my box. I do have everyone back and so am able to clear the first couple fairly easily. Then they string a few passes together to a tightly-marked forward in the box who immediately goes down and the ref buys it. Taker steps up and lo and behold puts it wide. Great, I'm thinking maybe there isn't catchup logic after all. Seconds later, my defender is again magically dispossessed and the CPU sends a hopeful 25-meter long ball to his single forward at the edge of the box who, despite being marked by virtually every one of my guys (who are still all playing behind the ball) he rifles a header past my keeper who remains rooted to the spot (maybe still in shock from the previous goal). 2-2.

Well this exact pattern continues until it is 4-4, more goals scored and conceded than in the previous seven matches combined. I thought the AI would be satisfied with a draw, but no, it scores another improbable goal in the 90th minute. Final 4-5. CPU has a total of 6 shots for the entire match.

I have always been skeptical of catchup claims in WE and chalked it up to the CPU's effective switching of strategy. But this match was so over the top that I really don't think there's much doubt that something fishy is going on behind the scenes.

I'm at a loss...
PES 2008 makes baby Jesus cry.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

LOL Blub that sounds like previous FIFA's. Who would have thought such a reverse of fortunes for both games. Btw what level of difficulty are you play on?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I'm playing on 5 stars/Top Player/Whatever difficulty - I've started an ML campaign with the default stiffs (oh joy) - lost my first game 2-0 to some Swedish team, lost the the second 3-2 to Besiktas (let twice but their 2nd and 3rd goals were headers from corners), tied 1-1 with AEK Athens and finally beat Olympiacos 2-0.

That Besiktas game had me feeling a bit like Blub - their two headers were retarded, I had switched to 5 at the back but I chalked it up to using the default ML stiffs (Valery and Stromer are crap) but I guess it could be some kind of catch-up cheating.

I know doug noticed it but does anyone else notice that the CPU is a hell of a threat on free kicks? I've had 3 scored against me in the ML now in just 4 matches which seems like a lot.

Teamvision what?

Blub,
Thanks for the info on how to install to the HD - the cut-scenes now run a little bit smother but still bloody jerky which, again, is a shame because I'm seeing a bunch of new animations.

The music in this game makes my ears bleed.

I've created a Japanese PSN account and am downloading the Japanese demo (along with GT5 Prologue Demo...yes, the demo of...the demo). I think I'll play more of the PAL version though so I get used to it before I compare (on the Evo-Web forums there's very differing impressions, some say it's better and slower some say it's the same).

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

hey! don't knock my swedish teams!!! :)

FYI, Henrik Larsson does play for Helsingborg and he is still a beast!

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Blublub wrote: Seconds later, my defender is again magically dispossessed and the CPU sends a hopeful 25-meter long ball to his single forward at the edge of the box who, despite being marked by virtually every one of my guys (who are still all playing behind the ball) he rifles a header past my keeper who remains rooted to the spot (maybe still in shock from the previous goal). 2-2.
Blub,

Let me guess,

It wasn't even that powerful a header from the edge of the box but it goes into the top corner while the keeper (in my case Ivarov) contemplates his navel. I know that goal well. Same thing happened to me in the 89th minute of a game I was leading by a goal. Almost threw my controller through the screen :evil:

Defending is damn hard in the game - and some games the AI team just seems to come in waves against you. I've played games where I'm outshot 7-0 in the half and barely get a sniff of the ball.

Best wishes,

Doug

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce