On the cusp of a Wii purchase... tips?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

On the cusp of a Wii purchase... tips?

Post by Slumberland »

My affinity for apocalyptic shooters and sports games is at an all time low. I've been building up a couple hundred dollars worth of credit at Gamestop for this eventuality, and on the eve of a new Mario, it's time to strike. Knowing how little profit game retailers make from actual system sales makes it easier to stomach having to deal with my heinous local branch. I was hoping you all might have some pointers to help maximize my sh*ts and giggles.

I plan on getting a second wand. Is a second nunchuck an automatic must-buy as well?

A recharging stand and component cable are also in my sights. Any recommendations on brand for these items?

Anything else I should know?

Thank you!

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Monoprice.com has a very cheap component cable for the Wii, something like $4. Either that or pay $30+ for the official Nintendo one (which is what I have before Monoprice had theirs).
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

You'll need a second Nunchuck to play Mario Strikers Charged multiplayer, which is the single most fun I've had on the system. Stupid fun.!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: On the cusp of a Wii purchase... tips?

Post by GameSeven »

Slumberland wrote:I plan on getting a second wand. Is a second nunchuck an automatic must-buy as well?
Depending on your preferences, if you get into the party games, plan on completing a set of 4 remotes. I do not have a second nunchuk and the only time it comes up is with Wii Sports Boxing. That said, it doesn't come up very often and I've passed up chances to grab a second for a while now.
Slumberland wrote:A recharging stand and component cable are also in my sights. Any recommendations on brand for these items?
My preference is for regular rechargeable AAs that I can swap between the Wii/360 etc. As for the component cables, I've been burned on thrid party cables on the PS2 and 360 before, so I went with the Nintendo branded cables which I remember getting for about $14 in an online deal.

In addition to Mario, my top Wii recommendations would be Zelda and RE4, but you probably know what titles would already be on your list.

Cloud
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Cloud »

Rob,
is the Mario Striker a fun game? HAven't heard much about which is why I have held off
XBL Gamertag: St Cloud

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My advice would be to rent games initially. There are many games that seem as if they'd be a blast to play on the Wii, but poor graphics and shallow gameplay hamper the enjoyment.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I only have a couple of games for the Wii right now, but they are both incredible.

Metroid Prime uses the Wii controls beautifully. I really feel immersed and the gameplay is a perfect mix of action, adventure, puzzles, story, etc...

The other must is MLB Power Pros. It's just plain addictive. Gameplay is solid, with a lot of hit variety. Also, the Success Mode is a lot of fun too- like an RPG where you have to go through college and make it to the bigs by practicing, studying, dating (I focused too much on this one- ended up getting Hunk status but didn't make it to the majors).

Enjoy the system, it's great.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Great stuff! Thanks!

And yeah, sportdan... I plan to rent exclusively for the system. Gamefly's been great lately, and I just want to play a lot of 'have your fun and get out' stuff. Until Mario Kart comes along, at least. If that one feels closer to the 64 version than the crappy Gamecube one, I'll be in heaven.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Slumberland wrote:Great stuff! Thanks!

And yeah, sportdan... I plan to rent exclusively for the system. Gamefly's been great lately, and I just want to play a lot of 'have your fun and get out' stuff. Until Mario Kart comes along, at least. If that one feels closer to the 64 version than the crappy Gamecube one, I'll be in heaven.
You can download the 64 version for $10 in the Wii Store.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

ScoopBrady wrote:You can download the 64 version for $10 in the Wii Store.
I know... I played it with three of my old college buddies on a friend's Wii a little while ago. It was, how shall I put it? STILL AWESOME.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Cloud wrote:Rob,
is the Mario Striker a fun game? HAven't heard much about which is why I have held off
I had an absolute freaking blast with it playing co-op with a buddy! Single player was fun as well, but it really shined in co-op. The game has only the most general passing resemblence to soccer, but it's laugh-out-loud silly and I found it to be more than deep enough as well.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Will I need anything special for the sensor bar? I'm going to use it in conjunction with a projector that sits on a shelf in the back of the room, about 10' from the wall/screen. So there's no TV to put the sensor bar on top of, really.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

You'll have to stick on the wall above or below the screen you project on. Depending what is there.. you might have to put a tiny shelf (as in 1" deep by about 10" long) to hold it.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Interesting... can it go on the floor? Or does that not work.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

A friend of mine with projection has it about 1' from the floor on a shelf. It works fine.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Slumberland wrote:Interesting... can it go on the floor? Or does that not work.
Not 100% sure, but I would think that the sensors wouldn't work so well on the floor. Ideally, you want it at the level you would normally hold the controller (chair height) or even above the TV (good for standing and playing the Wii).

Not sure there's a way around it- unless you can convince a buddy or girlfriend that sitting on the floor in front of you and holding the bar is part the co-op mode. :D

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Girlfriend? On the floor in front of me? Co-op mode? NAUGHTY.

Maybe I'll pick up the wireless bar and rig something on the wall with velcro.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I've been trying to score a Wii for several weeks and can't find them anywhere..
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:I've been trying to score a Wii for several weeks and can't find them anywhere..
TRU in Chesterfield got in some last weekend. Just gotta stop in a few places and ask I guess.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

fanatic wrote:Metroid Prime uses the Wii controls beautifully. I really feel immersed and the gameplay is a perfect mix of action, adventure, puzzles, story, etc...

The other must is MLB Power Pros. It's just plain addictive. Gameplay is solid, with a lot of hit variety.
I agree 100% with the above!

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Well, my locker at the YMCA was broken into this evening and my wallet was stolen, including the Gamestop card, so hopefully they haven't used it yet and I can put a freeze on it via phone tomorrow morning. They sure used every other card in my wallet! Assholes.

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

Slumberland wrote:Well, my locker at the YMCA was broken into this evening and my wallet was stolen, including the Gamestop card, so hopefully they haven't used it yet and I can put a freeze on it via phone tomorrow morning. They sure used every other card in my wallet! Assholes.
Dam that blows, what comes around goes around they/he or she will get theres

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I hope so. They took my PSP too. I was in the NL championship series with my career player in the '09 season.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Man, that sucks Slumberland. I hope you can get your stuff back somehow.

I learned my lesson from the "school of hard knocks" in high school when I had a Walkman stolen at the YMCA and a watch stolen off a table in my own fenced in back yard! I don't trust anyone now and just assume stuff will get stolen unless it is locked up.

I think my Wii is going to see some action soon after a long layoff :D I am going to start Metroid soon after I finish a couple other games that are 75% done, I am getting the new Mario when it is released, and it sounds like I have to give Strikers a rent.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bummer, Slumber. I hope the c*cksuckers who ripped off your gear get what's coming to them.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425