FIFA 08 (360) Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

is the J-league in it?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Sudz,

No the J-League isn't present, a ton of others are though!

Doug B and I had a long discussion about this game yesterday after our league match and we're both in agreement - this is one hell of a good game. I think definitely takes time to get used to two main things;

i. The tight AI marking (even with teams from the Coca Cola Div 2)
ii. The fact that the AI cuts out so many passes that seem straight forward.

However, the more you play the more you realize that just moving around more opens up space and the more you get used to it the more you're able to pass the ball around in the manner you're acustomed to. I still think that through passes on the floor are cut out too easily (everyone is Makalele) but if you move players around and send players on the right runs you can get those chances.

I'd explain in more detail but Im working on a review right now so I'll save it for that.

JRod,
How long do you have the rental for? I'd still stick to it, I initially went through a stage where I was like "oh well, same old FIFA garbage" but the more you play the more you adapt to the passing system. I've having sh!tload of fun with this game and while I can sit there and easily pick out things that are wrong and things that Winning Eleven does much better the fact of the matter is I still find myself playing the game!

Hell, I'm the bloody original FIFA-hater and I'm just having a ton of fun with this game.

In summary, I'm in agreement with Leebo! :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sounds like a fun game online, from what I heard this game is not close to the demo at all (which disappointing me), so I am taking the plunge and buying the game tonight.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:Sounds like a fun game online, from what I heard this game is not close to the demo at all (which disappointing me), so I am taking the plunge and buying the game tonight.
I'm with you...I just picked it up at lunch. Won't be able to play tonight as I'm off to the Springsteen concert (woo hoo!), but will post some impressions tomorrow. I haven't bought a FIFA game in all my years of gaming, so I assume the learning curve might be a bit steep.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I finally bought the game for $40 thanks to the ToysRUS buy 2 get 1 free. I haven't opened it yet because i'm playing Live 08 which is also pretty fun. Hopefully i'll see you cats online in a day or two.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Leebo33 wrote:I think the controls are more responsive, but that may also be me getting better at the game. If you didn't like the demo then just rent it first.

I usually am very reluctant to post impressions on FIFA games because someone like JRod will point out how much I don't know about the sport (not trying to start a flame war...he actually wrote that and edited it later...and he may be partially correct), but I thought it was OK once Macca and Blub posted!
I deleted it because it didn't really add to the debate. Wasn't appropriate neither was posting that I deleted it. It was too personal and after the blow-out earlier this year, I shouldn't have typed. it.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Color me impressed. What a difference a year makes. I think it's the best Fifa I played in awhile. The controls are a bit tighter this time and the pace of the game is just about right for me. I still find the AI tends to steal the ball rather easily but that's because there's so much you can do now with the ball, and that depends on how you control it by positioning your body properly, how you want protect it and so on.

There are times that your players still wonder a bit as to what intention you have with the ball, instead of just positioning themselves to aid you, but it's better than 07 in that regard. The crowd is rather bland but I enjoyed the commentary as it seemed to have more spice this time with the announcers. Graphics are very nice including the animations especially with the top class players, very realistic to real life. There's some choppiness in some cut scenes but overall the game runs very smoothly.

I am relieved that the game plays differently than the demo, a big reason I was hesitant to get this game, but so far so good.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Macca,

You might find this a fun game. But I don't find anything fun about the CPU pulling off tackles coupled with braindead teammate AI that renders the game pretty one-sided.

What really shows off how the AI is given a boost to strip a ball from behind while the human player can pull off the same move. Far too many players are Rooney like with the ball.

Then you add that stupid momentum shift animation that defenders get into. It reminds me of the DB running in circles in NFL 2k5.

If my teammates played the same way the AI does, I would be okay with the game. Their are times where they really don't respond to the button I pressed. In cornors, I'll try to clear the ball away only to have the defender do nothing. Not jump, not make any attempt to head the the ball only to have the defender jump and make a goal. That tells me that the EA has engineered difficulty by allowing the AI to get away with a lot.

Is the game better yes, but that still doesn't mean its any good. You can have fun with any game but WE still is a better engine all around. I've tried to think of one aspect of the game that's better than WE. I'm open for a discussion on that, what aspects of FIFA are better than WE outside of licenses.

I don't know what you are seeing with the game Macca but I sure as hell don't see a good game here. I see a typical lost EA Canada make a game that looks like football but plays like something else.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

JRod,

I totally agree that Winning Eleven is by far a better game engine (the more I play, the more I realize how far EA Sports still have to go) but I still think that there's merit in FIFA 08.

I've actually soured on the game a little in the past 24 hours after playing deeper and deeper into the single player modes - teams just all play all the same. That said, I still think it's a ton of fun online and I still have fun with the singleplayer.

Sorry you're not having the same experience. I'm almost done my review and I'll past some stuff from that here about issues with the gameplay.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

JRod wrote: I've tried to think of one aspect of the game that's better than WE. I'm open for a discussion on that, what aspects of FIFA are better than WE outside of licenses.
Gameplay wise? The pace of the game and......and.....er.......okay, that's it. But just because FIFA isn't as good as Winning Eleven doesn't mean that it's not worth your time.

I think the gameplay is decent and when you add in the great presentation & options you have solid game. If gameplay was EVVVVVERYTHING we'd still be playing SWOS & Kick Off 2 for the Amiga.

Macca
(can't believe he's defending FIFA....I thought I was the original FIFA-hater, lol)

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

JRod wrote:Macca,

You might find this a fun game. But I don't find anything fun about the CPU pulling off tackles coupled with braindead teammate AI that renders the game pretty one-sided.

What really shows off how the AI is given a boost to strip a ball from behind while the human player can pull off the same move. Far too many players are Rooney like with the ball.

Then you add that stupid momentum shift animation that defenders get into. It reminds me of the DB running in circles in NFL 2k5.

If my teammates played the same way the AI does, I would be okay with the game. Their are times where they really don't respond to the button I pressed. In cornors, I'll try to clear the ball away only to have the defender do nothing. Not jump, not make any attempt to head the the ball only to have the defender jump and make a goal. That tells me that the EA has engineered difficulty by allowing the AI to get away with a lot.

Is the game better yes, but that still doesn't mean its any good. You can have fun with any game but WE still is a better engine all around. I've tried to think of one aspect of the game that's better than WE. I'm open for a discussion on that, what aspects of FIFA are better than WE outside of licenses.

I don't know what you are seeing with the game Macca but I sure as hell don't see a good game here. I see a typical lost EA Canada make a game that looks like football but plays like something else.
Jrod,

I was having problems with the defender momentum at first as well. Hold down the left trigger (jostle) and it operates like a strafe move, allowing you to square up to the attacker.

And I've found that I can strip the ball from the attacker quite often. Have to hold down the A button and really keep at it, but it works.

No argument that Winning Eleven still holds the gameplay edge - particularly physics and AI. I'm having loads of fun with Fifa though and the quality is good enough that I can finally enjoy the commentary and licenses without the gameplay ruining things.

I'll be getting PES 2008 for the PC so we'll see how much of each game I play once that arrives.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Jrod,

Don't tell me you bought the game? I'm playing TF2 with you tonight and I really don't want a pissed off JRod coming after me!

"I got your f#$Ring FIFA right here, Macca!"

:)

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

JRod wrote:Macca,

I think I have to agree with you so far from what I've played of this game (about 6-7 games).

I'll give it some more time, but I'm pretty discouraged by the AI issues so far. I love the brilliant mid-field play, but I don't think I could walk away from a game having had a great time because I made some nice build up passes. If the experience in the attacking third is brutal, then I'm going to be disappointed in the end.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

This is really a side note to FIFA but why doesn't more sports games have space and properly sized fields/rinks/ballpark.

Fanatic posted about the final third. And that got me thinking why its hard to generate more scoring oppurtnities. I think it all has to do with space. This is a tangent but in Madden the reason why LBs can become overly lethal is the field size is so small and the players are big that there really isn't that much space on the field.

In FIFA, players can cover too much space too quickly. Plus the backline basically drops back into a shell leaving the box overly crowded with players covering more grass than they should.

I don't know why sports games get space and size so wrong. Like in Madden, players can't cover the field like that. They can't jump 5 yards to get in front of a player. On Sundays, I see a lot a huge field, with players lucky to cover a maybe 2-3 yards from one step.

Anyway, that's not saying that FIFA sucks because of it. It just struck me that sports games want to make players cover a larger area and with smaller playing fields, it really hampers many sports games.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod wrote:I'm open for a discussion on that, what aspects of FIFA are better than WE outside of licenses.
Game speed is much better in FIFA 08 than it is in past PES games and PES 2008. It has been ridiculously fast since WE7 almost arcade fast. I also like the ball travel and ball physics better in FIFA. It's all subjective I guess. AI in FIFA definitely needs work but the game is not sh*t as some say it is. It's playable, many are enjoying it and can look past it's flaws.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Rodster wrote:
JRod wrote:I'm open for a discussion on that, what aspects of FIFA are better than WE outside of licenses.
Game speed is much better in FIFA 08 than it is in past PES games and PES 2008. It has been ridiculously fast since WE7 almost arcade fast. I also like the ball travel and ball physics better in FIFA. It's all subjective I guess. AI in FIFA definitely needs work but the game is not sh*t as some say it is. It's playable, many are enjoying it and can look past it's flaws.
The game speed is better, the ball physics are better, the passing model is better, and dribbling and skill moves are better looking, more intuitive and more functional. As a multiplayer game, I'm perfectly comfortable saying this is a better engine than WE, at least on the 360. I enjoyed the single player, too, but I haven't logged more than 8-10 games on it, as I've been loving the online experience, so it's possible that there are some things that will bother me. But I doubt it. (If I adjusted to Madden's DB AI and turnovers and still can and do enjoy the game a lot, I don't think there's anything here that is going to get me frustrated. I guess I'm easy that way.)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

seanmac31 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
The game speed is better, the ball physics are better, the passing model is better, and dribbling and skill moves are better looking, more intuitive and more functional. As a multiplayer game, I'm perfectly comfortable saying this is a better engine than WE, at least on the 360. I enjoyed the single player, too, but I haven't logged more than 8-10 games on it, as I've been loving the online experience, so it's possible that there are some things that will bother me. But I doubt it. (If I adjusted to Madden's DB AI and turnovers and still can and do enjoy the game a lot, I don't think there's anything here that is going to get me frustrated. I guess I'm easy that way.)
No arguments from me. :)

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

After a week of play I am still really enjoying this one. Does not knock off WE just yet, but it is the best FIFA I have played since I can remember.

There are issues for sure, but finally there is a noticable difference between players and teams. In a Manager Mode campaign with West Ham, I am having trouble scoring on the great teams, but then beat Dag and Red 5-1 in a Cup game. Good times. And I had a very tough time containing Ronaldo and Rooney in a 3-1 loss to Man U. Bad times.

What's up with every game in Manager Mode being played at night? Anyone else experiencing this? Any way to change it? The one thing FIFA usually does better WE is atmosphere, so this bugs me.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Has anyone noticed a bit of computer telepathy? Specifically, when I'm about to pass the ball with a defender near me, the defender seems to begin to tackle the ball away from me in the time period between when I press the button to pass and when my animation begins. I've noticed it quite a few times in replays, where the defender begins the slide tackle slightly before I've started to pass.

Of course, it could be that my passing is soooo predictable that the AI always times these things with split-second precision...but I don't think that's the case.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I wanted to post this but my post went into Jared's secret forum of death. So here's a shorter version.

After playing this game more yesturday something clicked. (I played WE then went to FIFA and somehow that helped. I have no idea why.)

I play only on Professional and not World Class like the Macca.

I don't think FIFA is better than WE. But the game is fun.

There are certain areas where the build-up of goals are too much the same. And the goals are not as organic as WE but the game does a decent job of being playable.

(I had a longer post here explaining this but I don't want to retype it)

Here's my gamekillers for FIFA. These things will cause me to stop playing FIFA. For once its not the gameplay.

Subsitutions are broken. I have no idea what triggers subs for the CPU. It's not fatigue.

Manager Mode fatigue is broken. Players are always tired. After two games, I have to almost sub out my entire team! CPU never subs out tired players or I haven't seen it. If you have a week between games, your players aren't going to be at 65% fitness.

EA has all these resources but they can't get fitness and subs right. They are a f'n huge part of the game. Instead if you watch close-ups of replays notice how the shirts move in a realistic fashion. I guess you can't do both?

Anyway, the game is playable. It's not horrible like last year's FIFA and while it's not better than WE, I think there's room for FIFA in the 360 this year.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Played some Fifa Finaly, it was online against my bro and while the connection was awsome the game is still held back by its control and some still odd gameplay decisions.

First the controls, am i controling the players ? cant tell some times, if i press for a shot first time way before i recieve it why does my player still take a touch same with clearances and the heading is still not right in the area even when i take control of a defender they dont contest for the ball sometimes 2 guys just letting an attacker jump amd win it cleanly unless he decides to chest it with 4 guys around him :x

The game is first class other wise i love the pace and the manual control options but its not manual if my players take touches im not asking them too. Cant enjoy it fully as it constantly pisses me off.

Both footy games should be further ahead in fundemental gameplay department than they are. Pes defending is woeful.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

JRod wrote:Manager Mode fatigue is broken. Players are always tired. After two games, I have to almost sub out my entire team! CPU never subs out tired players or I haven't seen it. If you have a week between games, your players aren't going to be at 65% fitness.
Have you upgraded your fitness staff, mate? I had a problem when I started my manager mode with my Hartlepool United players being completely buggered after a couple of matches, but after spending a big chunk of cash on uprating my fitness they were fine for the rest of the season.

Edit: You're right about the CPU players - their strongest available side based on ability, not fitness, is always the one that starts. Towards the end of the season some of them are knackered before half time. Doesn't bother me, or at least doesn't bother me as much as their continued ability to beat me when tired bothers me, but I can see why it's annoying.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

JRod wrote:I wanted to post this but my post went into Jared's secret forum of death. So here's a shorter version.

After playing this game more yesturday something clicked. (I played WE then went to FIFA and somehow that helped. I have no idea why.)

I play only on Professional and not World Class like the Macca.

I don't think FIFA is better than WE. But the game is fun.

There are certain areas where the build-up of goals are too much the same. And the goals are not as organic as WE but the game does a decent job of being playable.

(I had a longer post here explaining this but I don't want to retype it)

Here's my gamekillers for FIFA. These things will cause me to stop playing FIFA. For once its not the gameplay.

Subsitutions are broken. I have no idea what triggers subs for the CPU. It's not fatigue.

Manager Mode fatigue is broken. Players are always tired. After two games, I have to almost sub out my entire team! CPU never subs out tired players or I haven't seen it. If you have a week between games, your players aren't going to be at 65% fitness.

EA has all these resources but they can't get fitness and subs right. They are a f'n huge part of the game. Instead if you watch close-ups of replays notice how the shirts move in a realistic fashion. I guess you can't do both?

Anyway, the game is playable. It's not horrible like last year's FIFA and while it's not better than WE, I think there's room for FIFA in the 360 this year.
Good catch about manager mode fatigue - They've got fatigue reasonably well handled during the match so why there's a problem in the manager mode is beyond me. As Simo noted, you can upgrade your staff to eliminate the problem for your team - it's annoying that you have to do this given fitness levels of professional players.

Frankly, I'd like to see fatigue handled better in both Fifa (in the manager mode) and Winning Eleven (during the match). Player's cannot simply rush up and down the pitch without respite like they do in winning eleven. It's the reason why during a match you'll see players at walking pace much of the time that they're away from the action. They pick their spots for sprinting and much of the time its a slow jog or walk into space (or covering their position). And when your older like me and playing in a rec league those spots become fewer and farther between (unless you want to get the point where you head to the touchline to puke your guts out).

best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I finally opened the box and gave it a go. I played two games on amateur trying to get a feel for the game. As JRod and others pointed out the game does a lot of things right and others it does wrong.

My biggest frustration has been my players being out of position on defense because unless the CPU targets a specific players space the Human AI will not respond. In the Falcon 3.0 days Spectrum Holobyte called it the "kill zone". This is where PES 2008 does it better as the human AI plays a more organic game and is programmed to both defend and attack based on where the ball is on the pitch.

In FIFA if the ball or CPU is not in the range of your AI, it will just stand there leaving an open lane for the CPU. So the end result is trying to switch your player closest to the ball and you hope the game gets that right. I didn't have to much trouble with the CPU killing my guys on tackles and stealing the ball. In both games my ball possession was quite high. The problem is really players not responding to what's really happening on the field and organically closing down an attack. So the game leaves that up to you. Which can get rather frustrating.

On a side note all the reviews have said how the audio is rubbish as well as the commentating sounds boring. Well apparently they have never watch European football because Martin Tyler sounds pretty true to form. And I can't get enough of listening to him call a match. So EA once again gets high marks for presentation.

Man this game is really close. It's no doubt the best FIFA ever as well as the most technically advanced. It just needs to address the AI and controls a wee bit more. It's definitely a keeper for me even if I had the option of returning it. I bought it at ToysRUs for $40 with the buy 2 get 1 free.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's a shocker...

I'm actually enjoying FIFA this year.

The fatigue thing blows. (Personally I hate the staff upgrades type of system). The lack of CPU subs is an annoyance.

However I have played maybe close to 40 games since it was released. I am starting to feel a difference between good teams and bad teams. I am playing Leeds to get a feel for this. I just played Bradford City in the FA Cup and while I couldn't get a score I took 14 shots to their 5.

I am really having a tough time scoring. Part of the problem is I'm playing WE and being too deliberate and not just hoofing balls toward the zone and taking chances. Sometimes I do this in WE and just can't score.

Anyway, I'm enjoying FIFA and I really don't know why. Maybe its the challange or maybe because it's not broken. It's a solid title. But it shows you just how good WE is and has been for years. If WE was the average and not exception in sports gaming we would still be playing other sports games.

Hopefully the fun will last long enough with FIFA.