OT: Direct TV / DVR / DVD/ Home Theater Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Direct TV / DVR / DVD/ Home Theater Thread

Post by Jimmydeicide »

sportdan30 wrote:Well, it looks like my 15 years of having Directv are coming to a close sadly. Tomorrow, I'm switching over to Charter, for better or worse. The lowest Directv will charge me is $111 a month, and this is after speaking to someone in the retention center. With Charter, I can pay $130 (not including tax I'm guessing) with cable, phone, and internet. I'd consider bundling with AT&T, but their internet from what I'm told is slow. Can anyone confirm that?

I'm nervous about not having the ability to record a show and watch it in a different room. I've really gotten used to that. Also, I'm a little concerned about the customer service and how responsive they will be. I'm hopeful that that the picture quality will be compareable, but am expecting to be a little disappointed.
I have ATT and upgraded to the most MBPS i could get because of lag when gaming. 18 mbps was the most i could get and if my daughter is streaming and I'm gaming it still lags , yeah its slow i think. 18Mbps Should handle 2 people.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I switched from DTV to Comcast a couple of years ago.

They gave me the run around when I wanted to upgrade my DVRs to the Genie so I cancelled. What is retarded is that on AVS and other sites, you could see what kind of deals they were giving new subscribers but would drag their feet with long-time subscribers.

Then after I canceled, they kept making me these offers, like offering to pay my contract termination fee with Comcast. But I saw a big improvement in Internet and I got every premium channel for less than what I was paying DTV.

Got a much better deal with much faster Internet from Comcast for a couple of years, saving at least $50 a month the first year.

So I plunked down $1100 on a Tivo Roamio and Mini setup with Lifetimes. There was no way I was going to do cable with the shitty DVRs they had, for which they were charging $15-20 a month for rental.

Now my Comcast deal is ending so I'll have to see what it's like. But there is no alternative here for cable when it comes to good Internet. AT&T and their shitty Uverse is 1/10 the speed for about the same price.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:Well, it looks like my 15 years of having Directv are coming to a close sadly. Tomorrow, I'm switching over to Charter, for better or worse. The lowest Directv will charge me is $111 a month, and this is after speaking to someone in the retention center. With Charter, I can pay $130 (not including tax I'm guessing) with cable, phone, and internet. I'd consider bundling with AT&T, but their internet from what I'm told is slow. Can anyone confirm that?

I'm nervous about not having the ability to record a show and watch it in a different room. I've really gotten used to that. Also, I'm a little concerned about the customer service and how responsive they will be. I'm hopeful that that the picture quality will be compareable, but am expecting to be a little disappointed.
I made this decision close to a year ago and haven't regretted it one bit. You can't beat the Charter 100mb in the St. Louis area and going back to cable tv hasn't really been that big of a deal. As for the picture quality, I'm sure Directv might be a bit better but after a week or so you won't even care, it's not that big of a difference. I don't have any issues with the Charter picture quality...looks just fine to me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks guys. You've put my mind at ease somewhat. I hope my Directv contract buy out goes smoothly.

Waiting for the guy or gal from Charter now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Didn't go to a cable provider from DirecTV per se by going to Verizon FiOS but its been fairly good. A few complaints like not as many games in HD from the sports packs (mlb and NBA) andba subpar DVR experience in comparison but other than the 900 I'm saving over the year is worth it.

I really wish AT&T had better internet because I'd just bundle my wireless w DirecTV and internet and it'll be all good but alas the 50/50 internet I've got with FiOS is outstanding.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Charter showed up with one hd dvr and two hd boxes, minus the dvrs. That was not going to fly so I told him I'd have to call and figure things out. Charter wants to charge me 9.99 per dvr. Gonna think about it as it raises the cost to $150.

Called Directv and suspended our dvr in the basement for $6.50 per month. We barely ever use it. They gave me 3 free months of HBO. My bill now is $96 per month. If I cancel phone from Charter it's essentially another $12 per month savings. Charter jacks up only internet from $45 to $60.

I may just keep directv until my contract runs out. I do love their customer service. And then maybe I'll see what Dish has to offer. Or perhaps Charter will have a better promotion.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am still a U-Verse/DTV subscriber. I currently get 24M from U-Verse, and they just added 45M service. I think they even have faster available, but it varies widely from where you live. With 24 I can stream 4k on Netflix with no issues, and that's the most demanding thing I do with my Internet. They are offering the 45M service for the same price for six months, but making it hard to find what the price will be after that....

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The problem I had with U-Verse here in St. Louis wasn't the speed so much as the uneven nature of it. When I ran speed tests, it was up and down and up and down. Surfing the net or streaming content would always end up with moments where it just seemed dead. And it forced me to go to their fastest speeds just to do stuff that should have worked on slower speeds.

But Charter is 100M. There is no slower or faster speeds. It was actually 30M when I signed up, but jumped to 100M later, with no increase in price. I use AT&T for my phones, but that's because my wife's law firm has a deal, so it's cheaper than anywhere else. That service is fine for me, but I hate dealing with the sales pitch whenever I go into the store.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm pretty much sitting tight until I see how the 4k providers shake out. I have a Sony 4k TV, so I'm currently out of luck with DTV and cable. But with Comcast announcing a 4k set-top-box this year, I could see myself switching unless DTV can match what they offer. Part of it is just the inertia of the familiar and the fact that my internet is fast enough for what I need right now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:I'm pretty much sitting tight until I see how the 4k providers shake out. I have a Sony 4k TV, so I'm currently out of luck with DTV and cable. But with Comcast announcing a 4k set-top-box this year, I could see myself switching unless DTV can match what they offer. Part of it is just the inertia of the familiar and the fact that my internet is fast enough for what I need right now.
I absolutely would not wait on providers. They can't even provide uncompressed 1080P content reliably so what makes you think they can do 4K worth a sh*t? We're definitely going to have to rely on streaming services like Netflix going forward, as far as I'm concerned. Sad to say.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dTV is going to offer some PPV 4k channels but there is also suppose to be 4k or uhd blu Ray later this year.

There is also work being done on ATSC 3.0, for 4k broadcasts. However, wireless carriers are trying to bandwidth allocation from TV stations, since there is money in mobile while broadcast TV is fading.

But unless the local stations and networks get on board, it makes 4k sports less likely.

The Japanese and European broadcasters are doing way more than American broadcasters towards 4k broadcasts.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Didn't go to a cable provider from DirecTV per se by going to Verizon FiOS but its been fairly good. A few complaints like not as many games in HD from the sports packs (mlb and NBA) andba subpar DVR experience in comparison but other than the 900 I'm saving over the year is worth it.

I really wish AT&T had better internet because I'd just bundle my wireless w DirecTV and internet and it'll be all good but alas the 50/50 internet I've got with FiOS is outstanding.
Db, do you find a substantial difference in picture quality between DirecTV and FIOS TV, or any at all? I'm moving soon and will finally have a choice of TV providers after years of having only TWC available to me. I'm choosing between DirecTV (NFL package is very tempting) and FIOS TV (will get FIOS internet regardless, so the bundle may save me some money).

My sense is that FIOS has the best picture quality of any provider, but that may simply be based on old rumors from years ago, and I'm curious what someone who recently switched has to say. Of course the quality of the DVR's own compression will ultimately determine the final image quality. Any input form anyone who has FIOS TV would be appreciated.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:Db, do you find a substantial difference in picture quality between DirecTV and FIOS TV, or any at all? I'm moving soon and will finally have a choice of TV providers after years of having only TWC available to me. I'm choosing between DirecTV (NFL package is very tempting) and FIOS TV (will get FIOS internet regardless, so the bundle may save me some money).

My sense is that FIOS has the best picture quality of any provider, but that may simply be based on old rumors from years ago, and I'm curious what someone who recently switched has to say. Of course the quality of the DVR's own compression will ultimately determine the final image quality. Any input form anyone who has FIOS TV would be appreciated.
To tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference between the two. I thought I had always heard DirecTV was better, but when I switched, I couldn't tell so I never really made a big deal about it. It certainly isn't 900-1000 dollars different, which is about what I'm saving yearly by keeping my FiOS stuff bundled. I had phone and internet, along with DirecTV and was well over 275 bucks for the three....now I'm in the 200 dollar range (I've got a lot of channels).

Oh, and get someone with an apartment to just buy your NFL Ticket package (it can be your account, just have to set it up with their address and billing info)...then you can stream it on your PS4 or XB1 (yes, even the apps are better on the PS4, so I recommend going w/ that if you've got one haha.)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, it's back to Directv for our family tomorrow after 6 or 7 months of Charter cable. My wife and kids are very excited surprisingly. It's not that Charter is necessarily awful, but the archaic guide, the big ugly boxes, lack of hard drive space, no whole home dvr, and limited recording of channels has become a bother. Plus, Directv has offered me $200 to switch back and has given me a fair deal of $90 per month for two years.

Supposedly, Charter is testing a whole home dvr in limited markets along with an updated guide, so maybe when my contract is up with Directv I'll check them out once again.

I wonder when AT&T will get their internet speeds comparable to cable.....

EDIT: Just glanced at Dish's website and they seem to have even better pricing than Directv, especially for the first two years. Anyone have Dish? I've heard good things about their Hopper.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I have no idea how you made it hat long with their DVR. It's s bad. And there is no way I would wait for their new one, hoping it is good.

We have been happy with Charter, but I use the TiVo Roamio for a DVR. I think DirecTV's Genie is better, but it's pretty fantastic. And the $13 a month we spend still doesn't push the cost to higher than DirecTV. We just upgraded to Silver, and for $20 we got HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime, as well as several other channels, like BBCA, ESPNU, and CBS Sports.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

What a huge difference between Charter's receiver versus Directv. Just the overall experience is so much better. How I was able to get by with Charter for this many months is crazy.

Now, I'm back to paying a premium for their internet. AT&T's internet tops out at 45 mps. I'm wondering if this is fast enough for streaming services.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I'm getting ready to dump charter cable....cutting the cord...well at least one cord. I'm moving on to PS Vue full time now that they have the FSMW issues worked out and I can get Blues and Cardinals games. Have the free trial for Sling tv right now and it works very well but PS Vue just offers a bit more bang for the buck. PS Vue is $40 or so and that covers all of our devices....no other fees included. My days of paying $80 to $100 a month for tv channels that I barely watch is over.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I would like to hear updates on the TV packages you guys have. My story: our city installed a fiber loop several years ago and they finally got to my house last week, meaning I have gigabit service as a city utility. Seems great so far, however I no longer can bundle TV with internet access.

I currently have Dish and an upgrade to the Hopper will set me back about $135/month.

Xfinity won't let me have X1 without their internet service, so I'd be stuck with the old DVR (or TiVo for a big upfront outlay) and it's probably around $125/mo.

DirecTV looks the best, but the second year looks to be pretty damn pricey (~$160/mo).

I require something that will get me Rockies baseball (don't tease an addict), so Sony is out for now. Where do you guys stand with your TV access, especially if you don't bundle? I'm trying to keep the cost down as best I can, I was paying $195/mo before the internet upgrade and I'd like to stay close to that as my internet and phone will now be around $90/mo.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Fathead. If you've got a appletv, rocku, shieldtv, PS3/4 or Xbox you can just pay 100 bucks for MLB.tv and stream all the games to to your device. No need for a cable package.

That said I've got DIRECTV. The wireless receivers are a godsend. Watching tv in the garage or on my patio without having to pay for extra receivers is awesome. Just take them out of the room I'm not watching in and voila.

Even tho it's expensive, nothing beats DIRECTV.

Edit: I guess if you're local to the Rockies home market, MLB.tv won't work. My bad.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am still on DTV, too, bundled with U-Verse for Internet. It is pricey but I have always been happy with the service. Picture is great and the sound is, too, especially if running through home theater. If Rockies are on Comcast Sports, I think you can add CSN regionals for a relatively low price if you don't need the full MLB package. But not 100% sure about that.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Brando70 wrote:I am still on DTV, too, bundled with U-Verse for Internet. It is pricey but I have always been happy with the service. Picture is great and the sound is, too, especially if running through home theater. If Rockies are on Comcast Sports, I think you can add CSN regionals for a relatively low price if you don't need the full MLB package. But not 100% sure about that.
How fast is your Uverse?

Supposedly DTV is testing a new 4K DVR, though they supposedly are looking long-term (maybe 5 years or more out) of moving to Internet delivery. That means no more new satellites and the DirecTV Now service will be their long-term video delivery mechanism.

But AT&T cherry-picks where they roll out their Giga service so if their proposed merger with Time-Warner doesn't pan out, they may have to do more with Internet than Uverse, which is limited speed-wise.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

tjung0831 wrote:I'm getting ready to dump charter cable....cutting the cord...well at least one cord. I'm moving on to PS Vue full time now that they have the FSMW issues worked out and I can get Blues and Cardinals games. Have the free trial for Sling tv right now and it works very well but PS Vue just offers a bit more bang for the buck. PS Vue is $40 or so and that covers all of our devices....no other fees included. My days of paying $80 to $100 a month for tv channels that I barely watch is over.
What are you playing for internet?

When I looked at dumping Charter for PS Vue, it just isn't that much of a savings when I factored in the tier I needed for sports. If I dump cable, my internet is still $60. I'm paying about $120 for the package that gets me FSMW. But that includes internet.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Thanks for the info, fellas. I'm going to give DirecTV a call tomorrow, that's likely what I'll pick

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Aristo wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:I'm getting ready to dump charter cable....cutting the cord...well at least one cord. I'm moving on to PS Vue full time now that they have the FSMW issues worked out and I can get Blues and Cardinals games. Have the free trial for Sling tv right now and it works very well but PS Vue just offers a bit more bang for the buck. PS Vue is $40 or so and that covers all of our devices....no other fees included. My days of paying $80 to $100 a month for tv channels that I barely watch is over.
What are you playing for internet?

When I looked at dumping Charter for PS Vue, it just isn't that much of a savings when I factored in the tier I needed for sports. If I dump cable, my internet is still $60. I'm paying about $120 for the package that gets me FSMW. But that includes internet.
My cable bill with internet, cable, and phone went up to $170. I dropped cable and phone and my internet is $55 and DTVnow is $35 and that includes FSMW and NHL network which are the two main channels I need. So $90 a month vs $170. My tv receiver now is an Apple TV...it does everything for me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM