To mod (procreate) or not to mod

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

To mod (procreate) or not to mod

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm sure many of you saw me post that I would be stepping down as a moderator of these forums in the NHL 08 impressions thread. And I'm also sure that your level of astuteness has also allowed you to notice that my name still appears as moderator. I thought I'd start this thread just to explain the situation.

The only part of my initial post that I would like to take back is the fact that I'm stepping down as mod. After talking with Jared about it I don't feel the need to do so like I did when I proclaimed I would stop frequenting sports videogame impression threads. I really thought it would be a disservice to Jared to be a moderator if I was going to stop reading impression threads. Being the cool guy that he is Jared made me realize that wasn't the case.

I'll probably glance over impression threads during the first day of release because I think that's where the most objective impressions come but after that I won't be checking them out.

Something that I've realized since my blowout with JackB1 is the fact that I really have no interest in arguing over the int3rn3tz anymore. I hold no ill will towards Jack but he totally hates me for comments I've made during arguments. That's not who I am nor is that who I want to be. Another thing I realized with the release of the hockey games is that what I look for in sports games no longer jives with what I'm reading in the lasting impressions of games. I'm still absolutely floored that people are enjoying NHL 2k8 only 3 short years after bashing NHL 2005 for being a checkfest and unplayable yet 2k8 does the same exact thing and is fun. I can't explain it but it makes me feel like a total outsider looking in.

I look for the fun in my hobby because that's why I got started with it in the first place. Where 5 years ago I worried about shot totals, shooting percentages, or fouls I now worry about whether I'm enjoying my time with the game. I'm done analyzing games to death and trying to find every flaw each game has, now I want to know if I will have fun with what is there or what the game does right. I've done a 180 in my thinking and most of that is contributed to the fact that I have a 4-year-old daughter who brings me so much joy that videogames is just the sprinkles on the frosted cake in my life. The good news is that another cake is on the way. :D

I still plan on sharing my thoughts about sports videogames but I won't be doing that in threads. I will most likely start posting my impressions on the blog for those that care. I'm sure I'll also get a chance to talk to many of you about them online.

I always try to be fair in my moderation of the forums and will continue to do so. Please let me know if something is going on in one of the impression threads that needs a moderators' attention.

*Title changed by Jared to more accurately reflect the thread :D *
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Congrats on the news of the new arrival, Scoop. Go for three -- then you and your wife will need to switch from man-to-man to zone.

We did it and run a damn good 2-3 matchup zone. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Glad you are staying on as mod.

I'm not sure why you feel you can't read threads and still comment without arguing with folks or ignoring the stuff you don't agree with, but I suppose you have to do what works for you.

The only other comment I'd address is your thought that their are 'people' out there who bashed NHL 2005 but like 2k8, and the presence of such 'people' make you feel like an outsider. I think you are probably blowing this out of proportion, in that I wonder if you can name more than one or two folks here with that stance. Even if you can name 5, it's still strange to me that seeing 5 people with differing opinions than your own would be enough for you to consider yourself an outsider and avoid posting here. How many folks are active posters here?? 5 would run you off?

I think you and Teal are guilty of doing the same thing with these 'people' comments. One or two folks make a comment that expresses a belief that differs from your own, and suddenly that becomes 'people,' or 'all of DSP.'

I'd actually rather folks address the specific givers of comments or opinions that they disagree with, rather than this nebulous 'people.' I think the habit you and Teal have of attributing specific comments to a greater general population goes a long way towards making you feel threatened, or like an outsider, or something, when in reality you are disagreeing with only a couple of people about something.

At any rate, Yay scoop! I value reading your comments, and I really hope you continue to post your opinions and thoughts. I think you can do so without necessarily arguing over the internet. People can disagree and/or see different things in a game, and it doesn't have to be an argument.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

And, congrats on the cake!!!! :D

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: To mod or not to mod

Post by RobVarak »

ScoopBrady wrote:The good news is that another cake is on the way. :D
Screw that nonsense about modding, that's awesome news brother!! Wait til you see how much help the older one can be! You'll wonder how you got through the first without a gopher in the hosue :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: To mod or not to mod

Post by webdanzer »

RobVarak wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:The good news is that another cake is on the way. :D
Screw that nonsense about modding, that's awesome news brother!! Wait til you see how much help the older one can be! You'll wonder how you got through the first without a gopher in the hosue :)
Totally. But they can team up on you pretty good, too.

At least mine can! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Congrats brother on the new cake and we're glad you're staying on as mod. :D

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I guess I can throw in here that my wife is pregnant as well. Let them eat cake!

(Oh, and the impending child doesn't mean that I will be any less critical about video games. :D )

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jared wrote:I guess I can throw in here that my wife is pregnant as well. Let them eat cake!

(Oh, and the impending child doesn't mean that I will be any less critical about video games. :D )
Christ, this forum is being blessed by a lot of this lately:

Congrats, Jared and Scoop!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Haha, congrats on the coming cake.

We are expecting too... January, 2008 is the ETA. As PK puts it, we are 2-on-1 for now. :)
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

And dont forget "Thats my seat"
"NO, its mine"
" I was there First"
"not now"
"EVAN THATS MY SEAT :x "
"MO-OM"
"oh Sort it out yourselves"
BIFF BAMM KAPOW GNFFF WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Cant get that with only one. :twisted:

Buisness as usual Scoop come on.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Wow, babies! Congrats to Jared and Will as well!

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Babies! Babies I say! Make more!

Congrats guys. :D

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Talk about a thread that is off topic, but....

My wife too is growing a future Bulldog.

:D
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Congrats on all the other babies guys! I think we finally have proof that forum geeks get laid too (or at least their wives do :wink: ).

And web, I don't think being the only one in the NHL 2k8 thread that thinks the game sucks is being liberal with the word "people". I also don't feel as if I can't participate in impression threads without getting in an argument but I do know that I won't sit idly by while being accused of taking low blows, being a 2k-hater, or pulling the "You just suck" routine. When not one person says "Scoop isn't like that" it's hard not to think that you no longer jive with the rest of the community. I know if someone said that about someone here I'd have been right there to call bs. I think you and Zep might be on to something with the whole "It's not more negative, it's less positive" thing. A little positivity (is that even a word?) can go a long way around here.
I am a patient boy.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

and just for the record, I had no idea what you were talking about. I am from Georgia, I don't read hockey threads :)
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Thanks!! We are super excited to have our first baby.... Naming her is a challenge though. We have 3 months.
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

CONGRATULATIONS, GUYS!!! :) :) :)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

WillHunting wrote:Thanks!! We are super excited to have our first baby.... Naming her is a challenge though. We have 3 months.
Let me give you the short list that my daughter has submitted if we end up having a girl:
Hannah Montana
Dorothy Gayle
I am a patient boy.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

WillHunting wrote:Thanks!! We are super excited to have our first baby.... Naming her is a challenge though. We have 3 months.
I hope you are deciding between May, April, and June instead of November, December or February! ;)

Scoop, I agree positivity helps, which is why you splitting discussion threads would be a loss.

If you like, I'll be the 'Scoop isn't like that' guy, like your best friend in high school who had to keep dispelling all those uncomfortable rumors going 'round :wink: ... :lol:

With all these babies, though, I can see where the 'positive energy' is going....

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Let me give you the short list that my daughter has submitted if we end up having a girl:
Hannah Montana
Dorothy Gayle
LOL, my wife actually came up with Hannah, and I thought of Hannah Montana. I came up with Melody.
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Quite the thread guys. Congrats to all on the dads on the new "cakes!" I have 3 of my own and definitely go for the zone defense. :D

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I see how often you guys are playing games on XBL -- when are you finding the time to have sex? Don't you f***ers sleep? :D

Congrats, gents. Teach your children the proper way to play football video games. Hopefully if our Fertility plasmid works this fall we will be joining the club.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:I see how often you guys are playing games on XBL -- when are you finding the time to have sex? Don't you f***ers sleep? :D .
That, my good man, is what the mute button is for. ;)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Congrats Scoop and Jared. You can add me to the list. #2 is due April 22nd.....maybe a Lil' Henry...or maybe a little Alyce.

See PK, watching all those Lifetime shows with my wife really does pay.